Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
They largely make the mounds of snow overnight, but the pisting is done in the evening, so they sit there until the following evening. We have encountered these mounds on lots of the lower runs all season. They do not appear to have a second morning pisting shift here, unlike some resorts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They normally leave them in piles until they are ‘required’ - they have thermal mass in a pile and are much less likely to melt than if spread on a piste - when the bare patches show through they move them around. Normally only takes a day or so but I’ve seen some there for a full week before.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chopkins13, A possibility, but in the Dolomites I never seen piles blocking the pistes on the scale we have here, and they are much more snow cannon dependent
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, been snowing pretty much all day. We were treated to some blues skies around lunchtime, but we've dived into the Arpette restaurant now as the weather has really turned in on us with very low visibility and wind driven snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fine days skiing, some fresh, about 20cm down at Montvilliers this morning. Closed in later, had a drive back to the chalet in a full scale blizzard max 20mph driving. Hopefully lots of snow overnight but it will mean lots of snow clearing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Superb day with blue skies for most of it. Pistes are chopped up pretty badly, but fingers crossed the bashers get out tonight. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only got out for the afternoon, had loads of snow clearing duties first! Excellent time, took fat skis and played in lots of powder. Generally everything lovely, but strange how the bottom of the run down to Roches is still scraped and horrible!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, If its bad now, just imagine what its going to be like during the February school holidays Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Evening all. Any recommendations for the best runs to take my son above montalbert? He is five and will be doing his third week - last year we got him to the point where he could ski blues but we still need to be careful with him

Also any recommendations for bars/cafes in montalbert?

Have been Reading the crappy news about envers - looking at the map we will need to ski to roche and then telemetro to get about PC?

Thanks all (in advance)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nick0861, you don’t need the telemetro to get to PC, you can ski straight down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nick0861, in all reality it could easily take 25-30 mins to ski down from the top of the Montablert Gondola with an average 5 year old by the time they’ve fallen over a bit, stopped to look at the carvings, been pulled along a flat bit where they didn’t carry enough speed etc. The blues down to Montalbert are all great and lots of different ways down to keep them entertained, so in theory you may never NEED to go anywhere near Plagne Centre. However @Charliee, is right, once in the La Roche lift then it’s a fairly easy ski down from 2000 in to Plagne Centre. Be warned though, the last 500 yards down to La Roche can be an absolute nightmare - it bottlenecks into a narrow cat track that was never meant to carry thousands of skiers a day and as a result is almost always a sheet of ice with overcrowding issues - not the sort of place I’d rush to take a 5 year old. That said, if you’re going on a quiet week and there’s plenty of fresh snow then it may be just fine - perhaps one parent could do a quick loop up La Roche and test it out before you go for it with the little one. I’m sure you’ll love Montalbert, some absolutely lovely skiing for all abilities in the trees above and a nice restaurant half way down which is great on a sunny day. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. If we did take him up to PC it would be lunchtime so I guess it may not be as bad then as the end of the day when people making their way back?

to ski back to Montalbert then it looks like best option would be up becoin and then can get down on blues pavane/golf/cornegiduoille and then up Andrews?

Would that be the best route?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Adrets now Andrews!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nick0861, Either that, or down to the 1800, which also links to the easy blues back to Montalbert. Tip, from the top of 1800 loop down below the bottom of Golf rather than above it, avoids the steepest iciest section of the run to Adrets.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any recommendations for best local weather forecast for the area? Heading out at the weekend and 20 years since I was last in the area - happy days!!
ski holidays
I use the Meteo Ski app, weather info is from Meteo France, and gives local info as well.
snow report
This is the local weather forecast from the Met office in Bourg St Maurice - its as reliable as a local UK met office forecast.
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
Thanks guys that really helpful. I seem to remember last year one of the blue runs having a really grim uphill bit which was a bit of a climb/walk. Can anyone remind me where that is and how it can be avoided?
ski holidays
@Dashed, if your French is up to it, radio la plagne (internet) is a good source. If it's like r Les arcs they have an English forecast at 8.40 am but the live piste reports are all in French.
ski holidays
nick0861 wrote:
Thanks guys that really helpful. I seem to remember last year one of the blue runs having a really grim uphill bit which was a bit of a climb/walk. Can anyone remind me where that is and how it can be avoided?

Possibly Pravendue towards Montalbert. Avoided by taking the Adrets chair
snow report
nick0861 wrote:

Yes, Pravendue towards Montalbert. Carry on down to La Roche.
snow report
Loads of snow overnight again, but looks like it's going to be with us for most of the day too, so poor visibility Confused
ski holidays
Lots of lifts shut first thing but slowly opened up, although some seemed to stay shut. Great morning in falling snow but good visibility, and sunny afternoon.
snow report
We are having a cracking time in La Plagne. Arrived Sunday with 30cm of snow overnight. Beautiful day Monday. Pistes in good conditions although by end of day new stuff had scrapped away to reveal some rather hardpacked/icy sections in the bottle necks. Another beautiful day Tuesday and we skied over to Les Arcs. Snow was lovely although lots of people. Really enjoyed the red down from grand col.

This morning another load of snow and visibility was poor. Didn’t even think about heading out until we could see the chair lift moving in front of our chalet. Out at 12 and so was the sun Razz stayed low and had a fab time skiing the reds over at Roche and Montalbert. Really enjoying our trip so far.
ski holidays
We were over in La Plagne on the Les Coches side today. Sad news about the pisteur that was in the avalanche. We saw the helis flying around. Heard about what happened a bit later. I am very pleased we did not go up to the Roche de Mio now. I really hope he is OK and my thought are with everyone that works with him and his family.

The pisteurs where we were only let those with full avalanche gear go round the fence. Good to see them being pro active like that even in a reasonably safe area.
snow conditions
I saw the heli but had no idea about the accident. That’s really sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
From http://pistehors.com/2i94oGgBB8B6DbBQAJc1/piste-patroller-caught-by-avalanche-at-la-plagne

A piste patroller has been killed by an avalanche at la Plagne in the early afternoon today. The pisteur was checking the slope with a colleague in the Bourtes/Mio sector when he was taken around 300 meters by the slide and buried. Mountain rescue from Modane and Albertville were dispatched to the scene by helicopter. On their arrival the victim had been recovered by his colleague in a state of cardio-vascular arrest. The victim had been under the snow for around 10 minutes. He was evacuated by helicopter to Grenoble where the 54 year old succumbed to his injuries.
The avalanche risk was Considerable 3/5 with half a meter of fresh snow falling in the previous 48 hours accompanied by strong winds from the West and North-West.
ski holidays
Horrible news, really makes you stop and appreciate where your lift pass money goes and the people who put themselves at risk just so we can have a good time in what might otherwise be a dangerous environment.

Any idea which piste it was?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sad news about the pisteur, just remember this is a dangerous environment.

We had a few hours out today, no off piste as it was level 4, but we did lots of the lower level unpisted routes, fantastic time, and everything is in the best condition of the season so far.
latest report
@chopkins13, I assume... it was off piste in the Roche de Mio area. La Plagne rarely drops avalanches across Pistes,
although over the years, I have seen them do it below Becoin. Opposite the top of Blanchette and to one side of Sources piste.

If you look carefully below the Verdons Nord lift as you head to the first ridge you can often see small avalanches, look near the top of the slide and quite often you will see two sets of ski tracks where the pastures have skied up and I assume, lobbed some sort of explosive to make it slide. Very skilled to make it slide at the right point so it doesn't collect enough power to take out the lift pylon!
snow conditions
Another great day. Snowing this morning but then the sun came out. Windy up high so we stayed lower down. Snow in fantastic condition and we had some fun just cruising the blues. Light went flat about 4 and it is snowing now. Cannot complain at all. The snow gods have been good to us!
snow report
fascinating. id love to know more about the day to day running of a ski resort! the pisteurs, the explosions, the cannons, lifts operation, mountain rescue etc etc.

are there any good docco's knocking about?
snow report
I put a link on the Innsbruck thread - it's only a written piece but it covers some areas you are interested in.
ski holidays
@randywatson, Occasionally in La Plagne there are tours of the snow making factories (Theres 3 of them) and the iPad (yep really) that controls it all bookable through the tourist offices. Usually on off peak weeks when the weather is OK
Also check out La Plagne's You Tube channel, there are some pretty good videos of 'behind the scenes' stuff on there.
latest report
@boredsurfin, what are these snow making factories you talk of?!
snow report
@chopkins13, Where they make the snow! Montalbert's is just below the top station of the gondola just near the lake snowHead
snow conditions
cool thanks. cant find any linky on any Innsbrucky thread tho...
snow conditions
randywatson wrote:
cool thanks. cant find any linky on any Innsbrucky thread tho...

A thousand apologies - I directed you to the wrong thread.

https://hotspot-der-alpen.soelden.com/en/soelden-ski-area-safety-measures/
latest report
Loads of fresh snow again this morning. Avalanche risk high, don't go off piste, or down a closed piste unless you REALLY know what you are doing. (And read the avalanche bulletin first).
snow report
Not such an enjoyable ski today. Probably where I’m getting tired. Light a bit too flat in places and I struggled to spot the moguls. Ended up skiing a bit too defensive. Good news is I could start my apres ski early and I was much more successful at that. Looking forward to tomorrow. Will be our last day and hoping it will be quieter!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy