Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin wrote:
@Jonpim, @Ricklovesthepowder, I have known the Glacier to be closed as the windchill was -40c and deemed to be dangerous for 'normal' skiers to be up there. I guess at that temperature and someone had an accident there is a danger of body temperature getting to dangerous levels before rescue can be arranged. (Also would the steel work cables etc of the lifts be affected?)

A few years ago I was on the 3-man chair up on the glacier. The local Meteo station reported temperatures around -28 degrees, but generally no wind so it was just about OK. There was a bit more wind at altitude and while on the chair it stopped for a few minutes and in that time you understood just how cold it was. Once we eventually got off the lift my skiing buddy noticed that my nose had started to freeze (frost nip patches on both sides) so we headed to the nearest restaurant to, literally, defrost. Properly cold temperatures need to be treated with respect, and boredsurfin is absolutely right to point out what would happen if someone got hurt and was on the snow for even a relatively short period of time while waiting for assistance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was also on the three man chair last year and although it was cold below it was really cold at the top there and it just knifed through you. Beautiful snow but we skied it as quickly as we could!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing again in Montalbert⛄
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see the general forecast is for it to hoof it down (yes, that is a real phrase) in about 8 days time. Unfortunately, just as I'm leaving, but someone's gonna have a lovely mid-Feb!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Out of interest, is it worth taking SWMBO to see the ice caves in Les Arcs. I've always been overtaken by the skiing to get into that sort of thing in the past, but thinking it might earn me some brownie points (and an extra week of skiing next year).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ratkinsonuk, There are Ice caves up on La Plagne's glacier as well - but check if they are opening this winter - if they are its well worth the trip.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There are Ice caves up on La Plagne's glacier as well - but check if they are opening this winter - if they are its well worth the trip.

Thanks @boredsurfin. I'd never come across the LP ones, so I'll have a hunt round.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where are the les arcs ice caves?

Update: much needed snow here today. So far about 3cm on the balcony.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 10cm so far here at Montvilliers. Very light fluffy stuff.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’d say around 5cm in Les Coches
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing very lightly this morning, though minimal extra depth from overnight. Been enough for them to send the snowplough round the village, so I will be on snow clearing duties this morning.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sun is out on top - check out the Roche de Mio camera! Fresh snow and sun - enjoy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting, from the webcams the top of the cloud layer is about 2500m, with clear skies above, but down here at 1100m it's still snowing steadily!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which is the ideal route to Villaroger and back from Aime 2000 please?

How many miles are we talking?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@randywatson, I managed to do this at the end of my very first week of skiing, or at least Arc 2000 to Plagne Centre and back, so it's very doable. The route is fairly self-explanatory really apart from the traverse down into the Vallandry area, or were you after the exact chairs/pistes?

If you're staying in the Arcs side, don't forget you may need the Paradiski upgrade to cross over to La Plagne.
snow report
Hi ratkinsonuk.

Yeah i was kindda after a brief itinerary of the best lifts to take - id be perfectly happy just winging it myself but im trying to sell it to a few others in the group, so just trying to ascertain how far it is / long it will take etc.

we are staying in Plagne Aime.
ski holidays
Well, isn't it lovely when the forecasts are wrong in the right way.
Almost all forecasts for today were sun and cold.
Instead we have snow and (almost) warm.
Been snowing since breakfast - light at first, but now quite steady with big flakes - and less cold than previous days.
Perfick.
ski holidays
OK, I'll give this a try (but don't hold me to it).....

Plagne Centre
Bergerie Chair
Trieuse
Plagne Bellecote
Arpette Chair
Replat
Mont Blanc
Vanoise Express
Peisey Chair
Maitaz
Arc 1800
A choice of Transarc and a really lovely ski down into Arc 2000 ...or... Carreley and down to Arc via Plan Vert/Plan
Depending on conditions low down (has been slushy in the past) go either Lanchettes Chair and Aiguille Rouge, or Vallee de L'Arc round the back of 2000/1950, then a nice ski through the trees via Villaroger.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to get all the way to Villaroger. I'd stay in the Arc 2000 lunch horseshoe for a bite to eat or check out 1950, and try and make time to play around the snowpark above 1600.

I've deliberately stayed with mainly blues, as I don't know what you and the good lady prefer.

This is all from memory, so might need tweaking from those in the group that are much more familiar.
snow report
aha the Villager Challenge! There was even Gilets for it Very Happy

Was it really 10 years ago Cool Cool

My Gilet still fits Very Happy

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41171&highlight
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, I'd love to have a crack at this with you next week, but I fear you'd have worn me out by the first Vanoise crossing looking at your previous runs Very Happy
ski holidays
Some great conditions out there today. Even some easy to get to off piste available which felt pretty nice! Gutted that tomorrow is my last day
snow conditions
ratkinsonuk, I'm with you up to the top of Peisey lift, but then i would go up Derby and then either get on Transarc at midpoint or ski down to Carreley if long queue for Transarc.
I would go all the way down to Villaroger. Great cafe at the bottom, and then you really feel you've done some adventuring.
ski holidays
Quote:
ratkinsonuk, I'm with you up to the top of Peisey lift

I know what you mean @Jonpim, it's always an adventure crossing over that side of the mountain, and I've gotten lost a few times when I was certain I knew exactly where I was Razz It's always so much fun zig-zagging backwards and forwards, especially the run down through the tree line into 1800, I hope Randy finds the time to spend more time there.
ski holidays
cool thnaks for the info! so its a Challenge!! im definitely gonna do it now! not sure i cba starting from Montalbert tho, esp with no Envers lift? although i suppose we could get down to Montalbert from Aime2000 before the lifts open...

i read the other thread, sounds pretty doable depending on queues...
ski holidays
When do you go out @randywatson?
snow report
off piste via the Grande Col
ski holidays
Feb 03rd. sunday week!!
latest report
Shame, I'll be on the way back, was thinking of gatecrashing and doing the challenge with you Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charliee wrote:
off piste via the Grande Col

if irc some silly sods were going to do it by going down the Canadien off the back of the Glacier .. Never heard if they did Toofy Grin
latest report
Well a bit strange over the last two days, had loads of snow clearing down here at 1100m, but skiing today little evidence of much new snow at all! Maybe there's been more at lower altitudes? That said, fantastic days skiing today, and JanetS was skiing like an absolute demon, definitely no prisoners taken.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Yes, we did make a great off piste route in both directions with only a very few pistes and one very short bus ride. Some even hiked to keep it real! Me, I took the bus. But is was very fun and must be done again now there are so many new lifts. Yes, my Gilet still fits as well. Anyone up for another try later in the season after my leg is better and it warms up a bit. It was really freezing today! I hope to be over your side tomorrow for a tour of all the La Plagne ski area. Very Happy
snow report
Good to see that Union Restaurant in Montalbert has made it into the 2019 Mitchelin Guide ....

https://www.unionmontalbert.com/en/home/

@snowcrazy, I seem to recall when we did the Arcs side of the Challenge, all those years ago, your leg was playing up - hence we could keep up with you snowHead
ski holidays
Any updates on the Envers chair from those out there at the moment? Is it still looking likely to be closed for the season?
latest report
@bigtuboflard, Sign on it says closed indefinitely. Story going around is that it won't run until it's completely rebuilt.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
@bigtuboflard, Sign on it says closed indefinitely. Story going around is that it won't run until it's completely rebuilt.

Cr@p. Will just have to head down to Roche each morning.
ski holidays
I'm heading out tomorrow. Can't wait! Should be some snow coming too. I've been looking at the piste map and there is a lot to explore! We have the full area pass so I don't have to worry too much about where we go. Looks a long way to get all the way across!
ski holidays
@SnowPloughPrincess, Fine and sunny here today, local forecast seems to indicate reasonably heavy snow late tomorrow through into Monday. Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
Just home from a fun week in la Plagne, pistes were generally good but when you headed lower a few icy and worn patches with some rocks.
Interesting yesterday on the Mont Blanc piste was 2 huge mounds of snow from the snow cannons left in the middle of the piste, any ideas why they would do that? Was fine for me but freaked out my second week friend and a few others resulting a bottleneck of folk looking down unsure what to do.
First time I have flown from Chambery, security was bonkers, everybody needed multiple trays to separate out electronics, mobile phones, footwearm bag then somebody would just grab your boarding pass and passport and shout at you. Once screened more shouting that I shouldn’t be putting my boots/belt back on here or sorting out all my stuff. Got an accidental knee in the face from a member of staff whilst putting my boots on, then they started emptying my stuff on to the floor from the trays, not impressed but do enjoy the shorter transfer so would probably use it again.
A great bluebird day on the glacier was fantastic and our friend loved the area so much he wants to come back next year to continue his ski learning.
Had 2 lessons with Gwenda from Oxygene which matched up to previous lessons with that ski school and really felt my turns have improved.
snow report
@roguemazza, The mounds of artificial snow are left to allow the water to flow out and this makes a better harder wearing 'snow'. I guess there was a need for some snow in that area - or simply human error and they forgot to send a piste machine along ....
snow report
Thanks @boredsurfin, they had put up some arrows around them so I guess it’s the former reason. Just seemed a strange place to do it on a narrower bit of piste but then they don’t want to be shoving snow around for long distances.
They do need some more real snow down there, it was really noticeable the difference from above the Pierre Blanches restaurant and then further down.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy