Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Utterly beautiful day - after fun in the powder yesterday, it was all bashed down to perfection overnight for a day of skiing on corduroy.

Blue skies, sunshine - went from la Roche over to les arcs today. Amazing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a little surprising that with all the snow forecast from Thursday night, that right now ALL the snowmakers are blasting away in Montalbert ..... or maybe they know something we don't!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:
Its a little surprising that with all the snow forecast from Thursday night, that right now ALL the snowmakers are blasting away in Montalbert ..... or maybe they know something we don't!

I guess its a case of make it whilst you can
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russeh (and Trw144), tis true that both the runs down from Belle Plagne to Bellecote can get tricky and busy at times.
There is another way: ski over to the Belle Plagne moving carpet, then from the top you can get to Ours (beside the Col de Forcle drag), and ski down to Bellecote that way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:
Russeh (and Trw144), tis true that both the runs down from Belle Plagne to Bellecote can get tricky and busy at times.
There is another way: ski over to the Belle Plagne moving carpet, then from the top you can get to Ours (beside the Col de Forcle drag), and ski down to Bellecote that way.

What are the blues like getting down from the Collusses chairlift into Plagne Centre for the ski school meeting points? I m assuming we could just about make it if we leave at 9, to get across by 10?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a bit of an epic in the works minibus this morning, had to take it to Landry. The road downhill from Montvilliers was closed due to ice, so managed to get it up the hill out of the village, but the road to Longefoy was lethal, solid sheet ice all the way. At one point the bus was just drifting gently sideways down the road!
After all that we skied "the other side" today, and a Fabulous day was had. Some really nice off piste, including finding some fresh tracks, but why is it we always find the best powder when I am on my Bonafides rather than my rockered Cham 107s!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry if off topic but looking for some advice on best route to take for drive from Calais to Montchavin as am getting conflicting answers from different online route planning tools (eg Via Michelin and Google Maps). All seem to agree on Calais to Reims to Dijon. But then differ on whether to go via Geneva or Lyon then Chambery. We will be getting Shuttle early Saturday morning and driving to Montchavin in one day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the subject that some of La Plagne's Blues are more like Reds in other resorts I have noticed this season that there are more 'Passage Facile ' signs routes appearing, maybe the message is getting through. We came across 3 in the Montchavin sector, including one that we are sure wasn't there in the past!
So keep your eye out for the signs, they are usually white wording on blue background, although some are on an orange background.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:

Not sure what forecast you are looking at. Both snow-forecast.com and Bergfex are showing no more than a smattering on Thursday evening. And I guess they are beefing up the main runs while temps are low.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, The local forecast from the French Met Office in BstM
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@OldHacker, Theres an old thread here, but read it through as a bit of new motorway opens around Lyon in the life of the thread snowHead https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090692&highlight=route#1090692
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trw144, not sure why you are going all the way to Plagne Centre for ski school, when there are perfectly good schools in both Belle Plagne and Bellecote.
But if you are going that way, the run down from the top of Colosses is an easy blue all the way, with slightly tricky but just as you get to Plagne Centre if you take the standard route, but an easier way through if you follow the ski schools.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OldHacker, my google map has Lyon route 9hr 43mins, with the Geneva route 9hr 56mins.
We go the Lyon way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Twr11 are you staying in the chalet hotel turquiose with neilson? If so its a fab hotel. The food has been amazing, the staff ar3 very friendly and helped me out a fair bit and the showers and beds are fantastic at the end of the day! Just be aware its a 5 min walk to the accomodation after the transfer bus so have good shoes but the staff carry your luggage in a van. Its very ski in ski out too which is a massive draw for me!

The skiing was fab today! Sun was out,powder pockets about and was just heavenly! Spent the morning about champany on the blues and reds there and it was bliss! Fantastic snow conditions too. Headed to arpette for final few runs of the day as leads nicely back to the hotel. Went down the fun run which was carnage bit alot of fun. I managed to cause a pile up on the bridge went didnt have enough speed so rolled back and wiped the two people put behind me.....but we all laughed as i wedged me and my sit ski in the narrow gap! People had a mix of horror and amusement as they by passed us!

The blues are a mix here bit vary massivelt on snow conditions and whether they are linking blues or runs in their own right. Linking blues from area to area can get pretty chopped and busy which can make them tough but if they are out the way they tend to stay in good nick. U could get to plagne centre easily for 10 but not sure why you would if you werent staying there....

Got a lesson booked for tomo afternoon so will cruise around in the morning i think!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim wrote:
OldHacker, my google map has Lyon route 9hr 43mins, with the Geneva route 9hr 56mins.
We go the Lyon way.

We’ve done Champagny for th last three years and have always gone Dijon-Lyon-Chambéry route.
We’ve been at half term which comes with its associated risks - regular traffic queues.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 16-01-19 5:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
We were recommended the oxygen ski school, and from what I see they meet In La Plagne. The other issue was I looked at a few ski schools and all except oxygen appear to split my children across two age groups where as I (and they) want to stay together.

Just to add to this, I see oxygen have lessons in Bella Plagne and they have put our lessons there. The only issue is I opted for the level 4 course - not that I particularly wanted lessons, but basically I was paying for a bit of guiding and company, but it seems they don't have enough people to run it.
snow report
@Trw144, the run from Collousus down to Plagne Centre is very easy, after the Bergerey restaurant the run will narrow thru a flat section, try to stay towards the right, as you descend the following pitch there is a trach to the right, take it as it’s much flatter than the final pitch.
snow report
@hannahlucy89 and @Trw144....

Quote:

Twr11 are you staying in the chalet hotel turquiose with neilson?

I'm there in a weeks time with the Mrs. Do you know who they're using for the ski school - assuming ESF?

Also, is there a pool/spa facilities, and are they any good?

Cheers, Rat.
latest report
trw144, if your children are ok on blue runs then certainly taking the colosses up and skiing down will be fine there are probably 3 routes to get to centre from there.

Another couple of options would be check with oxygen they do not have a minibus to take you down. They offered us the option up from 1800 last time.
Also fairly easy would be either take the bubble or ski down to bellecote. The resort bus will take you there to centre, it's about 10 mins.
snow conditions
hannahlucy89 wrote:
Twr11 are you staying in the chalet hotel turquiose with neilson? If so its a fab hotel. The food has been amazing, the staff ar3 very friendly and helped me out a fair bit and the showers and beds are fantastic at the end of the day! Just be aware its a 5 min walk to the accomodation after the transfer bus so have good shoes but the staff carry your luggage in a van. Its very ski in ski out too which is a massive draw for me!

The skiing was fab today! Sun was out,powder pockets about and was just heavenly! Spent the morning about champany on the blues and reds there and it was bliss! Fantastic snow conditions too. Headed to arpette for final few runs of the day as leads nicely back to the hotel. Went down the fun run which was carnage bit alot of fun. I managed to cause a pile up on the bridge went didnt have enough speed so rolled back and wiped the two people put behind me.....but we all laughed as i wedged me and my sit ski in the narrow gap! People had a mix of horror and amusement as they by passed us!

The blues are a mix here bit vary massivelt on snow conditions and whether they are linking blues or runs in their own right. Linking blues from area to area can get pretty chopped and busy which can make them tough but if they are out the way they tend to stay in good nick. U could get to plagne centre easily for 10 but not sure why you would if you werent staying there....

Got a lesson booked for tomo afternoon so will cruise around in the morning i think!

@hannahlucy89 - I'm looking at this Chalet for a family ski trip next winter. I will have two young children (7&Cool that will be complete beginners and will be in ski school. My question is, is the hotel located on a blue run?? I've read a few reports saying it is. The last thing I want to do is terrify them on their first meeting with an actual real life ski slope, just to get them to the ski school meeting point.
latest report
been keeping my eye on this last few weeks, https://winter.la-plagne.com/live-info/slope-and-ski-lift-information.html

today the Bellcotte glacier was open for the first time since ive been looking, but thi afternoon it has closed again Sad
latest report
randywatson wrote:
been keeping my eye on this last few weeks, https://winter.la-plagne.com/live-info/slope-and-ski-lift-information.html

today the Bellcotte glacier was open for the first time since ive been looking, but thi afternoon it has closed again Sad

not sure how great that website is but the glacier was open most of last week, we skiied it on Saturday, the long black into the valley wasn't open though.
snow report
Just arrived. Light snow falling as we came up, now turned to Big Snow Smile . And Big Wind Sad .
snow report
Had a nice day out again today, poor visibility high up, but the snow was nice. Took the newly opened Pravendue back to Montalbert - it was rubbish, narrow, bumpy, and rocks poking through, and it includes a substantial uphill!
Upside, it is now snowing heavily in Montalbert.
snow conditions
@RobinS, Pravendue is one I crossed off the list and resolved never to go back to again!
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@Layne, The local forecast from the French Met Office in BstM

I see they had it correctly forecast...

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
@RobinS, Pravendue is only ever useful if you missed Adrets to get home...
ski holidays
@randywatson,This is probably better, its powers the signs around the resort. http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s coming down hard in Plagne Village now! More than the 3cm forecast on the decking already of the bar I’m holed up in. Melting half of the snow out of my beard with a Vin Chaud!
snow report
@boredsurfin, that's useful to know - I had assumed that that page was unofficial and therefore less reliable.
snow report
For those wondering about the turquoise hotel, no there is no spa or pool facilities here. You would have to go to take a short walk to one of the spas and the public pool is down in bellecote which is a short gondola ride down. Its open air but i havent visited it as not had time. With regards to lessons,i have seen more people go with oxygene ski instructors and the guided mountain extra tours (which is fab and fun way to socially ski) are all oxygene so i think they are affiliated with them. To get to the kids lessons its a short walk up the hill i believe so they wouldnt be scaring them taking them before they had set foot on skis. It is a blue both to the front and back of hotel but its on the gentle side of blue so once they master turns they would be fine.

Had another great day skiing today. Had a lesson yesterday afternoon and it has really paid off!today was much more fluid skiing and given a few tools to help on steeper runs which have been practising. Headed over to les arcs and the snow was fab over there. Seemed busier than la plagne. They arent quite as well equipped for sit skiers as la plagne but they were very helpful still. Headed back to la plagne after 2, found some of the snow conditions in les coches and monchevin a bit icy and bare patches starting to show through bit higher up no issues and fab snow. Westher closed in around 3 so came in early as snow really coming down so went for a crepe! Hopefully tomo should be a great last day!
ski holidays
All sounding good, bag packed and off to Gatwick after work tomorrow then get to Belle Plagne on Saturday.
I’m another Oxygene fan having used them 3 times in the past for private lessons, no complaints and each time they have moved on my skiing. Got a couple of lessons booked next week.
Any idea if they are likely to open the glacier at all?
latest report
roguemazza wrote:
All sounding good, bag packed and off to Gatwick after work tomorrow then get to Belle Plagne on Saturday.
I’m another Oxygene fan having used them 3 times in the past for private lessons, no complaints and each time they have moved on my skiing. Got a couple of lessons booked next week.
Any idea if they are likely to open the glacier at all?

The glacier has only been open for a few hours this week and that was Wednesday afternoon. None of the pistes has been bashed and the only run down was the black off the top of the gondola. Wasn’t much fun as there were far too many people on the piste that shouldn’t of have been on it instead of taking the down lift option. Whilst we were up there, they were starting to bash the red runs, so looked like it was being geared up ready to fully open. Was never gonna happen today with the poor vis which meant no helicopter available. Will see tomorrow!
latest report
@hannah, thanks for the update.
ski holidays
How are the conditions at the moment? I find that internet searches are quite uninformative & unreliable so would rather hear from someone on the ground. From my understanding it has been a dry Winter so cumulative levels are low but after the last week or so, there is a thin powder layer, which will now be groomed and beginning to become packed. Is that a fair interpretation?

I'll be there w/c 9th Feb so plenty of time for some more of the soft stuff.
ski holidays
ratkinsonuk, Hotel Turquoise does not have a pool and I don't think a spa- maybe a small sauna? There is a public indoor/outdoor swimming pool in Plagne Bellecote. In Belle Plagne itself there is/was a spa/treatment centre in the commercial centre which is just a few steps and a couple of flights of stairs from the Turquoise. Can anyone confirm it's still operating (been a few years since I've been in BP)??

The big chalet/hotel on the left by the roundabout at the top of the access road to BP (Chalet Balcons?) may have a small pool and spa open to non-residents for a fee. Citation required.

Have a good one.
latest report
roguemazza and Ryunis, the glacier is open today.
I find a combination of webcams and resort info give quite a good picture of what its like out here.
Today: sun came out, a few flocons, and all pistes we've skied in excellent condition. Also, quite cold: inner gloves, extra layer and neck muffler all needed. All in all, a lovely day.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
roguemazza and Ryunis, the glacier is open today.
I find a combination of webcams and resort info give quite a good picture of what its like out here.
Today: sun came out, a few flocons, and all pistes we've skied in excellent condition. Also, quite cold: inner gloves, extra layer and neck muffler all needed. All in all, a lovely day.

What he said!

Went all the way to Villaroger today, all pistes in very good condition. Lunch in Arc 1950 before heading back to La Plagne.
ski holidays
For those in the know, what would you say is the best ski school to enter a 7 and 8 year old into in La Plahne? ESF, Oxygene or another??
ski holidays
@Roscoe, Limesnowsports. http://limesnowsports.com Dani is brilliant with the kids, even buying them Hot Choccies on cold days!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy