Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
grandunion, don't think you will need chains for your ride up to Bellecote on 26th.
All standard weather sites have it mild with no precipitation: meteoexploration, meteoblue, meteofrance.

Of course, can't say anything about your ride back down . . . .

Snowing gently here too snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@grandunion, Right now essential! Wednesday who knows! But the local forecast says bright sunshine both Christmas and Boxing Day http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heres a video driving from Macot up to La Plagne La Roche best playback at x2 otherwise its a bit boring snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/u0I5E3s_gm8
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Jonpin & Mike.
Better be safe than sorry, I’ll pick some up enroute.
I shall look forward to your updates.
Have a fab time & Merry Christmas
Best wishes James
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grandunion, mild today: roads clear - at least the one up to 1800 is - so no need for chains there.
BUT, the roads round 1800 are treacherous: yesterday's snow melted and then froze overnight, so surface is ice with water on top. Nasty. Think i'll put crampons on for trip to the shops Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mild and wet at 2000m, snowed yesterday but then it rained, forecast to remain mild with more rain/snow tomorrow, rain snow limit was up to 2700m. There is a new bar in Plagne Centre called Le Brix, it’s underneath the Croq in a former ski shop and is well worth a visit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliee, not been in: friend says posh but expensive. And no seasonaire prices!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, It +5c down here and the streets are very icy, I couldn't walk down our rear driveway to the Poubelle as its sheet ice, mainly because its West facing and downhill so the water just runs down it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Le Brix is great, No seasonaire prices but the owner reckons they give the best price anyway. I guess when you're drinking something that's not often found elsewhere it's worth the extra cost. Enjoyed a pint in there on Thursday.

The cafe/bar above the new Bus Station is quite nice as well, the igloos outside look cosy. Definitely worth checking out.

Lovely weather today, pi**ing it down with rain again Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buying beer in jugs at Brix is the way forward - big savings make it reasonable’ish
Has rained on and off to 2400 thru the day so not too promising but was too hungover to venture out
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading to La Plagne tomorrow for the Xmas week... first ski day Monday, just wondering what conditions are likely to be like giveb all the rain? Especially for kids? We staying in Aime La Plagne clubmed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, Conditions are just fine, the rain has mainly been absorbed, however more rain is forecast for tonight. Currently snow is forecast all day on Christmas Eve snowHead http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 23-12-18 8:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This years piste Map, its a hardback edition! Cardboard both back and front, intriguingly it has no date on it so perhaps it won't be updated every year in future. The pistes haven't changed for the last few years and lifts seem to be straightforward replacements now.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, thank you. Looking at your forecast, seems like rain turns into snow from 10am on Monday?or am I reading it wrong?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bella2015, Nope, but their Met Office is as reliable as ours Toofy Grin snowHead

It was a bit spring like on the way back below Aime2000 just now Confused and is +6 on our balcony right now... Dark clouds all around but no snow or rain yet...
snow report

Very sad and quite embarrasssing for the most visited Ski resort in the World!
snow conditions
Yes, skied past that today. JanetS and I are working in Montvilliers (just down the road from Montalbert) so would have used it a lot. On the upside though the snow was lovely, especially high up today, even though I am skiing with a broken rib from a fall on an icy parking area!
snow conditions
Ok arrived at La Plagne this afternoon.. the snow is not looking too bad from what I could see, but dose seem slushy and spring like. Let’s see what the week brings
snow report
Rained all night here at 1300m, but the forecast indicates it cooling and turning to snow later, then fine and sunny for the Christmas day ☺
ski holidays
looks pretty grim at lower levels after the rain, lots of black/brown patches. I might end up hiring ski's if its like this in 2 weeks.
latest report
Nothing so sad as rain in a ski resort, Sad But snow forecast from 16:00 all night snowHead until 7pm now ...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 24-12-18 13:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It looks like it will dry out pretty quickly this afternoon. Then dry and slightly above average temperatures for the foreseeable future.
snow report
let's hope so.

Admittedly i've only been skiing 7 years but i've never seen rain in a ski resort until last season and now this one. I guess in my head you expect that sort of thing at the end of the season but not December/January Laughing
snow conditions
Been skiing in poor visibility today, snow high up pretty decent, but bare patches appearing from 2000m downwards. Final run down to Montalbert a bit grim - pick your line carefully if you value your skis.
Now drinking beer
ski holidays
@RobinS, Best option, download in the Gondola - its only slightly slower than skiing down...
snow report
They did have a warning at the top of faible enneigement, but we thought we would ski it anyway, as yesterday it wasn't too bad. Weather appears to not be doing anything at present, so while the visibility maybe better tomorrow the snow cover won't.
ski holidays
Hmmm first day of skiing in the rain.. was a bit rubbish , but if you ski only one week in a year, you can’t be too picky... Funny enough last time I was in La Plagne about 20 years ago and it was either Feb or ealy March and it was raining all week!!! But we still kept skiing
snow report
Well what a difference a day makes. Fantastic bluebird day. Some moderately busy pistes but avoided any lift queues. Pistes really nice and firm high up, but lower runs varied from nice hardpack through hard and icy, to complete skating rink! Still so much better than the rain though, and by 4:30pm they had fired up the snow cannons down at Montalbert.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much better today on piste, the moisture has dried out of the surface leaving it not quite so hard packed, and lots of snow man made overnight, so the heavy traffic areas were all fine. Oddly queued at every lift through Champagny but few queues anywhere else. Stop for lunch in Plagne Centre and mis timed our leaving and left with the skis schools so nipped down to 1800 where we skied straight onto the lift snowHead
Off piste was, how shall we say breakable crust, ski lightly on it or ice break through it ... best conditions on piste as they say.

ski holidays
https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2018/12/26/la-plagne-enseveli-une-heure-sous-l-avalanche-l-enfant-est-retrouve-vivant

He needs to buy a lottery ticket
ski holidays
Idiots. Lucky idiots.....People taking their kids on closed black pistes need a good talking to.
snow report
Clever comment, chocksaway (took me some time . . . rolling eyes )
Near miraculous he survived.
Presumably they were going down Rochu or Bellecote: "unopened, unsecured black run" on "west face of Bellecote"
Very silly. Very stupid.

Also commented on this thread
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Clever comment, chocksaway (took me some time . . . rolling eyes )
Near miraculous he survived.
Presumably they were going down Rochu or Bellecote: "unopened, unsecured black run" on "west face of Bellecote"
Very silly. Very stupid.

Also commented on this thread

Incredibly lucky but stupid parents. If it was those runs they are well marked as closed and you have to make an effort to get to them after the closed signs. You don't get there by accident.
ski holidays
We were up near there today, a large section has obviously avalanched, from the Inversens chair it looks like the line of Bellecote and maybe Rochu as well.
The scary thing is though, with the fine weather and good visibility there are hundreds of skiers off piste, the vast majority with no kit, including lots of families with children.
ski holidays
It had naturally avalanched about an hour before apparently.
Heres a badly translated post from Facebook by the Association Des Pisteurs Secouristes De La Plagne

Yesterday around 13 pm an avalanche occurred on the trail of the rochu (Glacier Sector) causing a person who is found buried but gets away despite everything unharmed
The sector bellecôte track sector was closed to customers
A first avalanche occurred about an hour before on the track of bellecôte not causing anyone, then the second on the track of the rochu...
The fracture height is about 1 metres but up to two metres per place the deposit was about 500 to 600 metres long
Some people intervened on this casting / Master Dog / employees / pgh
The person is not equipped with d.v.a he was found thanks to one of the dogs dogs
After 53 minutes under 70 cm of snow
The Association of trackers of la plagne thanks all the speakers who contributed to this miraculous outcome
Think of practicing off track with the indispensable triptych d.v.a / shovel / probe
And never go out alone
Happy season / holidays to all stay careful

Association Des Pisteurs Secouristes De La Plagne
There are pictures of the rescue on the Facebook page
ski holidays
Daily Mail spin on the same story...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6532971/British-schoolboy-buried-avalanche-French-ski-resort-rescued-ALIVE.html
snow report
Cool rescue-dog. Deserves credit for the save.

Little grom shooda skied a bit faster and sprinted out the avvy.

Lesson learned.

ski holidays
Quote:

indispensable triptych

What a great phrase!
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Little grom shooda skied a bit faster and sprinted out the avvy.

Lesson learned.

If that’s all you took from this story, then you really are the insensitive cock you have portrayed yourself as on other threads.

Merry Christmas.
latest report
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy