Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
eblunt, as colleagues on the Weather Thread frequently mention: the weather forecasters can tell us that snow is likely to fall, but the actual amount is very hit-and-miss.
1 metre would be lovely, but i'm not raising my hopes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eblunt wrote:
Snow-forecast giving 1 metre of snow to fall over Sat/Sun/Mon

For 2250 (mid-station) Fri-Mon adds up to 88cm and at 1250 (Montchavin) 38cm

That would be fantastic for those out next week and gives me hope for the week starting 22nd when I'm out.

As long as the temps stay down of course...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, I’m guessing you are using Snow-Forecast for these figures? I’ve aleays found the website pretty good and accurate especially for 48 hours. But anything other than that take with a pinch of salt. Yes it will snow, but let’s be mindful of cm amounts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@Layne, I’m guessing you are using Snow-Forecast for these figures?

Correct

Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I’ve aleays found the website pretty good and accurate especially for 48 hours. But anything other than that take with a pinch of salt. Yes it will snow, but let’s be mindful of cm amounts.

Correct.

But... the other guy said "1 metre" so I thought I'd put out something more specific...

And... it's all good as far as I'm concerned... I've been through the lean years wink Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grand Rochette webcam looking particularly beautiful right now...

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, Theres always one who has to spoil it with their tracks! Barstewards Mr. Green Mr. Green
Compare to the Montalbert webcam Shocked http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/montalbert
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, It's now retracted to 50cms across Sun/Mon , which is still not a bad start
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
@Layne, Theres always one who has to spoil it with their tracks! Barstewards Mr. Green Mr. Green

I looked at the Bijolin one and wanted to leap into the screen and ski the virgin snow straightaway.

boredsurfin wrote:
Compare to the Montalbert webcam Shocked http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/montalbert

Yes, still pretty bare down at 1300-1600m but hopefully that will get sorted over the weekend.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eblunt wrote:
@Layne, It's now retracted to 50cms across Sun/Mon , which is still not a bad start

I think the exact quantity is no big deal... a dump is a dump... wink Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, the exact quantity is a big deal but no one can influence it, what you get is what we get is what we've get! Fingers crossed for loads.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow right down to Montalbert today.
Things looking good for next week. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, How much fell at 2000m last night, any idea ? Hopefully some more in the next few days as well Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eblunt, don't know snow amounts.
Just watching webcams.
And scouring all weather sites
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rain overnight turning to a good dollop of snow on Sunday forecast for 1250m.

Combined with low freezing levels, should create a good base for season opening.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like still raining down in Montalbert Sad

Very different up at Plagne Centre
latest report
slightly disappointing dump over the weekend after all the hype, but don't get me wrong its all welcome, it looks like 25cm's max at 2000m, more up high and a dusting in the villages. Is anyone on the round that can give an accurate update?
snow report
Y'know that great archive of old LP piste maps on the Perso site ?

Does anyone know if there are similar piste map archives for other resorts ? eg 3 Vallees

EDIT - found some

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 11-12-18 13:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Charliee, I can't comment on La Plagne, but it's still snowing over here in Les Arcs. snowHead

snow report
it looks there are some skiers going out in Plagne Centre

And there are tracks down from the top of Becoin - hitched a ride on PisteBasher? - surely not walked up . . .
snow report
@Jonpim, its not a long walk to Becoin, just take the telemetro from centre to Aime 2000 and a its a short walk or skin. When the snow is good you will always find tracks!
latest report
Thank you Charliee, but is the Telemetro working yet?
snow conditions
Looks like rain at lower levels on Saturday could wash away the snow at lower altitudes
latest report
Good point @Jonpim, its still not far - Becoin has a 350m gain so can be skinned in well under an hour if you start in Centre
snow conditions
One hour for you Charliee, two hours for me.
And then 5 minutes down.
Think I'll wait for the lifts to open Saturday snowHead
snow conditions
The snow in streets of Montalbert ..... snowHead
https://www.facebook.com/CGski.co.uk/videos/203821790566133/
latest report
@Jonpim, probably 2 hours for me also, it’s not for me either - too much for too little would be my mantra for a run up & down becoin.
latest report
Nice Video boredsurfin, and today the snow cannons are going full pelt. Looks like its going to stay cold, and maybe more snow on Sunday: the day you arrive. snowHead
ski holidays
@Jonpim, yep Very Happy Hopefully my front drive will have been cleared, it clearly hadn't been in that video snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, someone clears your drive for you? Shocked
You are Lord Lucan, and i claim my £5.
snow report
@Jonpim, You really must come over to my place and then you will see what I mean snowHead
There is a glimpse of a totem pole in that video at 1:43, my 'drive' is to the right of it ...
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
The snow in streets of Montalbert ..... snowHead
https://www.facebook.com/CGski.co.uk/videos/203821790566133/

That was pretty cool.
ski holidays
I hope that you all have a great season / holiday in La Plagne.

No trip to LP for me this year but I am off to La Tania for Xmas
ski holidays
Well, here we are in snowy Plagne 1800.
Cold. Snowmakers going hard on all "essential" slopes as we arrived yesterday.
Everywhere covered, but cover a bit thin.
Fortunately a foot or so of snow forecast for tomorrow, just in time to test boredsurfin's trip up the hill (i understand his butler is clearing the snow away from his drive this morning).
Not sure what is open today - the Plagne site as usual don't tell you anything until you know it yourself already rolling eyes
Bootwarmers on, porridge bubbling in the pot: time to find if i can still get into the ski pants . . .
snow conditions
@Jonpim, good morning!

The Les Arcs website seems to have a map of what's opening across the area here: https://www.lesarcs.com/plan-des-pistes.html

Have a good day!
ski holidays
Lumiplan seems to be on the ball as well

http://www.skiplan.com/stations-temps-reel/
latest report
Alastair, Le Plagne also has map (scroll down to bottom) and a list.
I couldn't get the map to work today.

It was a lovely sunny day up to about 3pm, then the (hopefully snowful) clouds came in.
Most pistes in fine condition, and lots of fun off-piste-between-the-piste.
Some pistes do need some extra snow (such as red runs down to La Roche), and had snow cannons working overtime this morning.

Interesting thing to notice on that list. Envers list is not there (though it is on the map).
So, we checked with the SAP office and asked.
The Envers lift will not run. It has "some defects" which need to be repaired. This will take "some time". They are unsure when it will open.
Real bummer for us, as we found the lift really useful. I know lots of people don't like it, but the alternative run down to La Roche is largely artificial snow. Some bits are more reddish then blue. It is hard to ski. Today there were the usual groups of people not enjoying it at all.
That lift needs to be fixed or replaced pronto.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Envers definitely needs to be replaced/refunded by the lift manufacturer! What a nightmare!

Glad the first day conditions were good - any word on the new Inversens lift being ready?
ski holidays
chopkins13, when i said words to the effect of "I presume Envers is still under warranty", a rather pained expression came over the SAP lady. A fiasco from start to finish.
Not sure about Inversens. It seemed closed today, and we didn't get up to Roche de Mio.
Maybe someone else knows . . ?
snow report
@Jonpim, the Envers situation is farcical. Without it the run to La Roche will get far more worn and I imagine it does get fairly unpleasant. It didn't seem too bad when Envers was running.

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall at some of the conversations between the manufacturer and the resort over the past couple of years - I really do wonder how long it will be before the resort pulls the plug and looks for an alternative.
ski holidays
I really hope they get it fixed for March, stopping in Montalbert for a week and my other half is a bit of a cautious intermediate so if that’s the only way out of that sector it’s going to get a bit of a hammering.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy