Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do owners List for next season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book a trip for next january, probably only a long weekend. is there a general time of year when owners think "i'd better get the flat on booking.com" etc? is it better to just get something now, or wait a little while? in the past i've always been of the opinion that earlier is better, however got stung by booking early for a recent trip to nottingham (completely different i know) , which made me wonder if my tactics were the best after all.

looking at Val Thorens for 6 adults probably, i've heard Les Menuires could serve as a good alternative, however is probably more family orientated than our group would be after.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MountainIdiot, when i was renting I was listed all year round. At this time of year peak weeks would have been already booked and by August I was usually almost fully booked.

What do you mean by got stung? If the prices dropped then that's the risk you take but you have got what you want. My prices never changed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Usually about Spetemebr the agents ask if when I want to let my apartment for the next year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We list at least a year ahead.

And we do drop prices nearer the dates... although we are getting better about setting them appropriately.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MountainIdiot, my flat is available to book right up until the end of next summer. I don't release dates on Booking dot com until nearer the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that the responses indicate that there is no single answer to the question. My experience in booking for the season ahead has been that many listing on Homeaway and AirBnB are not actually available but become available once the owners set the dates around Sept.

The choice at that point is to work out whether you find something you like and book it or wait until more come on. I tend to find something and book it. Owners IMO would be glad that they have a week of their apartment sorted 9 months ahead. Also, I am getting a choice of the best available earlier than when most people are looking. You don't need to rush it for fear that someone else will pull the pin quicker.

If you're waiting for a price drop, I can't see this happening until much closer to the date you want to travel. So you run the risk at that point of taking what is on offer rather than a wider selection of available properties.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
What do you mean by got stung? If the prices dropped then that's the risk you take but you have got what you want. My prices never changed

@MountainIdiot. If this is what you mean, then it is no different to flight, hotel, TO prices etc changing over time depending on supply and demand. In fact I suspect that you get a "fairer" deal with small owners, in that they are less likely to increase prices close to departure even if for some reason their accommodation remains unbooked but the rest of the resort has "filled up".

If you mean that the owner withdrew the accommodation even though you had booked it well in advance, that is a different matter. Perhaps a greater risk with "private" rentals than commercial operations, but again reflected in the price.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Owners IMO would be glad that they have a week of their apartment sorted 9 months ahead.

But the OP wants a long weekend - which will usually mean owners losing two full weeks rental. So they're not likely to be keen to do that until much nearer the time, if they have two empty weeks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, agreed, unless it fitted in with my own plans to visit, or an existing longer booking, I wouldn't be giving away any short breaks so far in advance. I do occasionally have a 3 or 4 day break available, as we have regulars who sometimes stay for 10 nights, but I nly put it up for sale once they have made their booking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
so to clarify, the "got stung" comment was simply that we booked in advance with a large chain in the UK and by the time the trip came, the same room was available for a far cheaper price. obviously i know that simply isn't the case with apartments in the alps, prices are pretty much as they are and won't change, the main reasoning behind my question was, should i go for whatever is on offer now, and relax knowing i have secured accommodation or is it better to wait a month or two, when there may be more choice/better apartments on offer. mainly i worry that i'd leave it too late, and there then would only be the more expensive or poorly located places available, if any!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MountainIdiot, For January I would say you could leave it till September...if you can hold out that long, alternatively if you find somewhere you like on Booking.com they might have a no fee cancellation so you could book it and cancel if necessary
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MountainIdiot,
Quote:

o to clarify, the "got stung" comment was simply that we booked in advance with a large chain in the UK and by the time the trip came, the same room was available for a far cheaper price.

It is a bit worrying having booked an apartment then finding it is being readvertised.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, sounds like a hotel on that occasion
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MountainIdiot, We often have a long weekend in January.
We source our flights in the summer and then leave it until late December or early January to choose resort and hotel. Never a problem as it's a quiet time in resort.
Just decide which region you would like to ski and get your flights booked would be my advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy