Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
The only good thing you can say about the model outlook is that it's likely to change as normal, at least beyond next 6-7 days. Looking thru ECM ensembles it's a stalemate with low pressure west of UK, and highs thru europe and scandinavia, all the way out to +360.

Straws to clutch:
The ex-tropical low heading NE over weekend often leads to big model adjustments
Low pressure anomalies over Iberia could open the way for toughs to disrupt further into France / med
Good odds for some northern blocking, just need to see it align further north, and more towards Greenland
The whole pattern gradually corrects east....seen it before, a few hundred miles each run would do
Tiny signs of amplification in the atlantic (high pressure ridge)

Slight improvement already in the 6z just coming out

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There has been a significant general snowfall in October in the Alps - I would say that is not usually the case. The forecast is mild but as is oft said much beyond about 10 days is FI. Pretty sure we are better off at this stage than last year and look what happened,. As with every year it could go many ways but why worry! It does not affect the weather. Why pre-judge at this stage what may happen
Most resorts do not open until mid-Dec so plenty of time yet. There will be high skiing in those results that open early.
My reading of the latest charts. published here, is mild but not super-mild - so not too bad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark1863 wrote:
As with every year it could go many ways but why worry! It does not affect the weather. Why pre-judge at this stage what may happen
Why?
Because we enjoy it. Simples. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good to see all the usual suspects on here again this year. snowHead Toofy Grin rolling eyes Laughing NehNeh

My last climbing trip of the year to North Wales was cancelled due to snow - gotta be a good sign shirley?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stop calling us Shirley (apologies to 'Airplane')
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colorado got 1-2ft of freshy so far this week.

Three resorts already open.

Wolf Creek, A-Basin, and Loveland.

Another 10-15 opening in the next 2-3 weeks, like Keystone, Breckenridge, etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Three American resorts are open but apparently each have less than 2kms of skiing.
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/sorted/open-slopes/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S wrote:
Three American resorts are open but apparently each have less than 2kms of skiing.
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/sorted/open-slopes/

Those folks in A-Basin and Loveland must be wondering what to do after the first 5 minutes of skiing. Most boring day's skiing ever recorded ? Most repeats of as single run in a day ?

This is such a typical marketing exercise that's so typical of US resorts- just to say that they're open. No-one in their right mind is going to bother unless it's almost within walking distance
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dsoutar, and yet people in the UK travel a couple of hours to ski in a fridge which has even shorter runs.

GFS appears to be predicting another cold snap with lots of snow in 5-7 days at Sierra Nevada. 1000 miles further south than the Alps and it looks like it might be one of those years where it has a better pre/early season!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@leggyblonde, agreed but the difference is that in a month's time they will have "proper" levels of snow and be worth visiting whereas the majority of the UK unfortunately doesn't share that topography / climate and hence beggars can't be choosers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah so Whitegold has some allegiance to Whistler etc across the pond hence his derogatory Alps bashing and continued sales pitch for skiing in Retardistan.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking very wet again across N Italy after the torrential rain earlier in the week that saw the worst flooding in a decade in Venice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46029302

Bringing snow to higher elevations, over 2500m in the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GFS still suggesting plenty of snowfall at altitude on the Swiss Italian border.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haut Valais and Ticino has been absolutely plastered!!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BppDMAkHePS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1qs8w5l32ljhx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tignes.

snow conditions
this slightly negative AO/ NAO period is matching the jet theory....although all areas have seen some snow, you've really got to get south of the ridge....am looking at Cervinia, only 2.5 hrs drive from Geneva.

General model outlook for alps continues to be very uninspiring. Computers say no cold, no lows, no snow (mid term, north).....but they are apparently worse at predicting stuff in -AO environment
snow conditions
Great snow on Hintertux today. One or two very icy patches but these are few and far between. Quite windy and lots of people (thanks to Feier and Fenstertag), but good to be back on skis.

Föhn on the way.

snow conditions
Also a lot more snow on the way for the Swiss Italian border too. GFS‘s earlier forecast for snow next week holding up.

snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Also a lot more snow on the way for the Swiss Italian border too. GFS‘s earlier forecast for snow next week holding up.

So that’s Cervinia/Zermatt? And Monta Rosa area?
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

So that’s Cervinia/Zermatt? And Monta Rosa area?

Yes
latest report
@nozawaonsen, great to get the first few turns in.....there's always a little doubt in my mind after 6 month break whether I am still as brilliant as I imagined Laughing

00z are moving the right way (east), especially UKMO, GEM, GFS....ECM still reluctant to push in

Here's the pick
ski holidays
SLF outlook for Switzerland.

“Weather forecast through Monday, 05.11.2018

Along the Main Alpine Ridge and southwards therefrom, skies will be heavily overcast and precipitation is anticipated. North of the Main Alpine Ridge it will be rather sunny, however cloud cover is expected near to the Main Alpine Ridge itself.

Fresh snow

The snowfall level will be between 2100 and 2400 m. The following amounts of fresh snow are anticipated:

Upper Valais sector of the Main Alpine Ridge on the Italian border, northern and western Ticino, Bernina region: 15 to 30 cm;

regions bordering to the north, remaining sectors of the Main Alpine Ridge, remaining parts of Engadine: only a few centimetres;

elsewhere: dry.

Temperature

The zero-degree level at midday in northern regions will be approximately 3000 m, in southern regions approximately 2500 m.

Wind

Winds will be southerly,
blowing at moderate strength on the southern flank of the Alps, in the other regions at strong to storm strength at high altitude;
foehn wind is expected to arise in the Alpine valleys.

Outlook through Wednesday, 07.11.2018

Tuesday

Along the Main Alpine Ridge and southwards therefrom, skies are expected to be heavily overcast. Between the Monte Rosa region and western Ticino, heavy precipitation is anticipated, in the other regions only very little. In the northern regions it will be partly sunny. In the Alps a strong to storm-strength southerly wind will be blowing, and foehn wind in the Alpine valleys. The avalanche danger is expected to continue to increase at high altitudes in the major areas of precipitation. On Tuesday, danger level 4 (high) may well be reached during the course of the day from region to region, in the Upper Valais sector of the Main Alpine Ridge more than anywhere else. In the other regions of Switzerland, danger levels are not expected to change significantly.

Wednesday

In the southern regions, the precipitation is expected to persist until Wednesday morning, subsequently it will become dry. The snowfall level will descend to 1600 to 2000 m. In the northern regions it will be partly sunny to start with, subsequently skies will become overcast from the west. The phase of foehn wind will come to an end. The avalanche danger is expected to diminish during the course of the day in the major areas of precipitation; in the other regions of Switzerland, danger levels are not expected to change significantly”
ski holidays
Looks like the Italian resorts around Alagna (south of Zermatt) got 150-250cm of snowfall in the dump last week.

Northern Portugal also got a good puke. Tiny Serra da Estrela, at 1800-2000m, is open (very) early.

snow report
@Whitegold, Honestly, that looks the most boring ski destination ever!
ski holidays
I'd take a mellow hill covered in fresh snow over a huge lift served area of icy runs any day.....

Just to illustrate the spread of options for mid Nov, compare today's 00z GFS at day 10 to it's 06z update just out:

The latter would drop the FL from about 3000 to 1500, with much more widespread precipitation.

The AO index also pointing at the huge uncertainty though.

Not much value in looking beyond 6-7 days unless ECM adds it's support, but odds are slowly building for another cold spell as the atlantic tries to flatten the semi permanent high block over eastern europe / scandi
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:

But then they do have at least four more runs right now than a lot of places in the Alps at the same altitude...

I'd rather be skiing than hiking?
latest report
Quote:

@robboj, Not on that I wouldn't, looks boring skiing.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@robboj, Not on that I wouldn't, looks boring skiing.

I agree, but for me any skiings better than none.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj wrote:
jellylegs wrote:

But then they do have at least four more runs right now than a lot of places in the Alps at the same altitude...

It was actually fake news from Whitegold, the resort is closed. It opened Thursday only last week. With rising temperatures forecast, it's unlikely to re-open in the very near future.
snow report
This is an interesting website for looking at actual lying snow in the last few years. Most go the cameras go back at least 2-3 years and some as much as 6. Admittedly it is mainly the Eastern end of the Alps and some of them are urban but looking at some of the 5th of November shots from previous winters that turned out just fine certainly reassures. Yes, the 6th of November looked a lot different last year but that melted from everywhere but the tops and it was mid month before it was back and pretty much the beginning of December before it was permanent on all slopes.

I'll take that right now?

https://www.foto-webcam.eu
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
This is an interesting website for looking at actual lying snow in the last few years. Most go the cameras go back at least 2-3 years and some as much as 6. Admittedly it is mainly the Eastern end of the Alps and some of them are urban but looking at some of the 5th of November shots from previous winters that turned out just fine certainly reassures. Yes, the 6th of November looked a lot different last year but that melted from everywhere but the tops and it was mid month before it was back and pretty much the beginning of December before it was permanent on all slopes.

Haven’t checked the others but Warth-Schröcken had a consistent base from 6th of November on
snow report
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
robboj wrote:

Haven’t checked the others but Warth-Schröcken had a consistent base from 6th of November on

Yes I see that but being in the Arlberg probably much more likely. Many others hadn't, much of Salzburgerland, the Bayerische Voralpenland, even around the Inntal for example.
snow conditions
Cool webcam from the top of Germany's highest mountain at nearly 10k feet.

snow report
@Whitegold, nice view.

This is from Matt Hugo on Twitter focussing on UK, but has broader relevance.

“Nov update of the EC Seasonal maintains the consistent risk of Northern blocking patterns through the winter. Perhaps a bias for this to be more significant as the winter passes by but even Dec shows some potential interest. A mild, wet and windy, zonal winter is, IMO, unlikely.”
latest report
@Whitegold, Thats a new one, its a real cracker. I'm presuming thats München in the distance.

There is also this new one of Samerberg where our dear late friend Sue lived.

snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Whitegold, nice view.

This is from Matt Hugo on Twitter focussing on UK, but has broader relevance.

“Nov update of the EC Seasonal maintains the consistent risk of Northern blocking patterns through the winter. Perhaps a bias for this to be more significant as the winter passes by but even Dec shows some potential interest. A mild, wet and windy, zonal winter is, IMO, unlikely.”

Thats a big call from, I think, a fairly big name? Sold! wink
ski holidays
Plenty of fairly wild temperatures around mid November.

Parts of Canada 16C above average, parts of US 16C below average.

snow report
robboj wrote:
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
robboj wrote:

Yes I see that but being in the Arlberg probably much more likely. Many others hadn't, much of Salzburgerland, the Bayerische Voralpenland, even around the Inntal for example.

Hmm, my recollection from around here was solid skitour-able cover on pretty much all local resorts (Lizum, Kühtai and Seefeld particularly) from late October onwards last year.

But last season was spectacular, up until end of January or so, at which point (in Tirol at least) it fizzled out towards being fairly average. Lack of snow now means absolutely nothing for actual ski season - in fact there are some correlations with more snow in Jan and Feb which to most people matter more - but it doesn't look like there's going to be much pre-season touring this season unfortunately.
ski holidays
It's freakishly warm here right now and the wiggly lines look like this is going to continue for a couple of weeks. T-shirt weather, no point buying a lift pass just yet.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, Yup. Although I've got my pass, I think there are better ideas than heading up the hill in this horrendous föhn. I blinked and put the heading on last week. Regretting it now Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy