Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Conditions on La Grave glacier still awesome today. Also on the Pan, in dream conditions for my 2nd time there. Shame it is shutting so early just as it gets good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8611 wrote:
That makes me feel a small bit better - enjoy. Gravity is almost always in condition.

Just for you wink

http://youtube.com/v/e6UYnFdpM4Q
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JackSkier wrote:
Conditions on La Grave glacier still awesome today. Also on the Pan, in dream conditions for my 2nd time there. Shame it is shutting so early just as it gets good.

Comment from a guide mate of mine on Instagram with a photo of maybe you.

"Big challenging terrain and 2 unknown skiers hitting the shortest Enfetchores weather window I have seen during my years in this little town!"

#perasmountainguide
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not me sadly although it's a great photo. Enfetchores still on the wish list for next time. It was definitely a waiting game with the weather, alternating between full sun and no visibility at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JackSkier, was the traverse to P2 open or the route via the Breche, was really surprised no one had taken that by the time we called it a day to avoid the ball ache of the traverses, though have to say, Chancel was way better than Vallons.

And I'm waiting for hopefully a good touring "window" Tues/Wed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep the traverse to P2 was put in yesterday afternoon I think, we took it around 2pm and there were quite a few tracks across.

Chancel definitely better yesterday, Vallons was truly horrible in places. Chancel was OK even today although it required a lack of care for skis lower down as lots of rocks etc about.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like more cold (for the time of year) and snowy weather on way for end of week after a sunnier spell mid week.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like finally a couple of days of Spring for us, finally, and then a return to colder weather at the weekend, though I'm nippingback t the UK for four days.

Yesterday was that magic day of end of season touring and cold snow in the Combeynot sector, cloudless sky and hardly anyone around.

Today back up at the Lautaret but Trois Evaches sector, where we'll have the choice of cold or maybe Spring, we'll know when we get up there as to what we'll take.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Killington, Vermont, northeast US, still has top-to-valley riding for at least another week.

Should stay open on weekends until at least mid-May.

Opening day was back in October.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Killington, Vermont, northeast US, still has top-to-valley riding for at least another week.

Should stay open on weekends until at least mid-May.

Opening day was back in October.

Looks rubbish. Come to Europe for proper skiing in May

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Currently snowing at village level here in Tirol. Visibility is pretty limited, but it might be nice to get out in the week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very cold and still very windy this morning with lots of snow transport N->S. Risk of windslab at altitude. Still conditions looked good for those brave enough to risk the slabs

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow in Antibes yesterday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No sign of any let up in the below avg temps across europe in May so far. This years final warming of the polar vortex has persistent high lattitude blocking over the pole / greenland. AO has been strongly negative for about 3 weeks, and NAO is more negative now in May than at any time during this winter. Both forecast to stay negative for another week at least, meaning more low pressure and relative cold for central europe and other mid lattitudes.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Comparing the temp anomaly for the first week of May last year, to the first week of May this year:
compday-r-LQbhae-nz
compday-Um-PFs-VDr-H2

And here's the ECM average pressure anomaly out to mid month.....southerly jet brings low pressure to south western europe, again passing under the northern block. Though we know how much models struggle with this set up, it looks like more of the same conditions end of next week. Snowline generally around 2000m, but dropping lower at times, esp sun-mon coming

EDM101-216
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some nice skiers in the Chamrousse backcountry at the moment, I said to her "luv, yer going to get snow in yer booties"

ski holidays
@davidof, it actually looks like one of noza's pics, and in a few years it probably will be
snow report
@polo, looks like snow line could drop below 700m in Salzburgerland on Monday. Chilly...
snow report
@nozawaonsen, yep FL plunges to 1100m in the west but the showers have moved on. Disappointing lack of fresh snow below 1700m this morning. I'll have to either climb higher or accept the grim reality that the meadow skiing season here is coming to an end. Ah well, the lakes will warm up and the bike tracks will open to ease the pain of inter-ski season, aka summer Cool
snow report
Looks like a slow warm up after the next couple of days.

Still more snow at altitude, by the look of it, than during all of winter. A notable spring for snow cover across the alps, if not in Northern Europe.
ski holidays
Indeed. Very cold in Austria today for May...
snow conditions
Stubai, Austria, yesterday.

latest report
It has been -10c in Alpe d'Huez, France, this week.

Several lowest temps on record across southern France.

Corsica pounded with neige.

snow report
Couple of Austrian resorts re-opening this weekend: https://m.skigebiete-test.de/skimagazin/im-mai-hochkar-und-dachstein-west-starten-nochmal-skibetrieb.htm
snow report
@clarky999, haha, just been reading about that too!
snow report
They are trying to clear the high mountain passes today, but sometimes it is still better on skis

and sometimes they haven't even started.

Radstadt a couple of days ago

and for the vintage touch, Jeremy Clarkson, back when he used to ski

not bad, pity he didn't clear the piste marker he was jumping over !
latest report
8611 wrote:
@davidof, it actually looks like one of noza's pics, and in a few years it probably will be

Miss France, if you were wondering.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
It has been -10c in Alpe d'Huez, France, this week.

Several lowest temps on record across southern France.

Corsica pounded with neige.

corsica was pounded harder than a prom queen, caused total driving chaos

http://youtube.com/v/xDde3QUzpwE
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
8611 wrote:

Miss France, if you were wondering.

I'm not sure if I was quite wondering, but I was certainly looking a lot

Yesterday's offerings also quite sunny, do you sell calendars?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Miss May

ski holidays
Over a foot of fresh at Mammoth in California yesterday, and more on the way. May hit the slopes at Bachelor tomorrow. Forecast is for snow flurries and then clearing and a bit warmer.

https://ktla.com/2019/05/17/spring-storm-drops-13-inches-of-snow-on-mammoth-mountain-with-more-forecast-this-weekend/
ski holidays
@Toadman, you can fall out with people you know....
ski holidays
@davidof, You've been passing yourself off as some kind of avalanche nerd and it turns out you're like a ski touring version of James Bond
snow report
"A ski resort in Austria will reopen this weekend for the first time in May after unprecedented heavy snowfall.

Hochkar, located in the Austrian Alps about 150 kilometres from Vienna, had between 70 and 130 centimetres of snow last weekend."

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/16/snow-joke-austria-ski-resort-reopens-for-the-first-time-in-may

https://www.feratel.com/en/webcams/austria/lower-austria/goestling-hochkar.html
ski holidays
Miss Beruit at the Cedars today

ski holidays
hubba hubba
snow report
A few turns in the corn snow today.

snow conditions
May looks to end pretty much as it has been throughout the month, high pressure blocking over the pole and Greenland, leading to low pressure and below avg temps over Scandinavia / Central Europe / US.

FL set to drop briefly below 2000m in NW alps 29/30th. Could see fresh snow down to 1600m.

Will it snow down low for the 9th Cool month in a row? Don't think I've ever seen that in June. Maybe it's all 'solar minimum' related, which would bode well for next season too.
ski holidays
Last day of skiing at Crystal Mtn, Washington and Mt Bachelor of Oregon. 10cm of fresh overnight at Bachelor, so winter is not wanting to let go. But some folks have moved on to the golf courses and the mt bike trails.
ski holidays
Southern Hemisphere 2019 is kicking off.

Around 1-2ft of freshies in Australia this week, at Perisher, etc.

https://planetski.eu/news/11805

latest report
Toadman wrote:
Last day of skiing at Crystal Mtn, Washington and Mt Bachelor of Oregon. 10cm of fresh overnight at Bachelor, so winter is not wanting to let go. But some folks have moved on to the golf courses and the mt bike trails.

Mammoth, Cali, is staying open until August.

Only the 3rd time ever.

Got record snowfall in May, of 2-3ft.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy