Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
snowheads68 wrote:
GFS 18z has come into line with the last couple of ECM runs and predicting a cold snowy spell from the 26th.

Just noticed this on the snow forecast email for Mayrhofen. Really hope this does come in and with those freezing levels. We are out to Mayrhofen on the 13th April
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowheads68, for which area?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also wondering which area. We are going to Val tho in 10 days time and forecasts on Meteo still showing wall to wall sunshine with not a drop of snow anywhere to be seen ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what is showing up on wepowder pro it is the eastern alps area and hanging to the North so Austrian alps getting more of the white with the italian side looking dry
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
extremerob wrote:
From what is showing up on wepowder pro

we powder pro - like professional yellow snow makers ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Over in Canada it was up to 12C at valley level in Banff today.

Spring has come exceptionally early it seems.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was thinking about heading out to the 3V in a couple of weeks but really need the prospect of some off piste.

Wondering if the weather experts on here are seeing any prospects of fresh snow turning up or is it just too early too tell.

Think I know the answer but....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, you've been posting on snowheads long enough to know the answer to your own question Toofy Grin

I'm no weather expert but some nice spring snow is looking a possibility in the next few days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, spring snow off piste is *almost* as good as fresh powder IMHO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne,

You might be lucky to get some early morning powder on the north faces up high if we have some precipitation, currently looks unlikely .

‘‘Tis the time for spring snow “ Looking forward to it .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 10-20cm of snow to low levels on parts of Austria Monday and Tuesday. Glorious weather in the Arlberg at the moment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy1234, @kitenski, there is a magic hour or two in the Spring that will always be a joy but I am more concerned that with a freezing level from 2400 to 2900 over the next week and no prospect of any precipitation that conditions in general are going to become irreparably poor. When the kids were younger I could live skiing strips of snow down a brown mountainside but now we'd rather do something else with our time. Guess I'll leave it until nearer the time and see if anything comes on the horizon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would hardly be strips of brown in val thorens at least, no?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good conditions in Obergurgl. After the snow at the beginning of the week, blue sky and the cold conditions have given way to much warmer spring weather. Becoming pretty soft down to Untergurgl but remaining good higher up. Virtually no queueing during the week, but I gather the hotels are reporting good bookings (the Alpina was full) except for Easter oddly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Landed in obergurgl yesterday looking like plenty of blue sky skiing this week
snow conditions
Meteoblue has good overnight freezing for VT https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/val-thorens_france_6355006

Snow above 1,500m seems generally deeper than average. Plenty available off piste around Monterosa last week and they have had nothing like the snow fall in the Haute Savoie.
ski holidays
So it’s been wall to wall sunshine in Saalbach today. Silly warm. T-shirt skiing.

Apparently snow rolling in about 3am but I can’t see any clouds yet!
Due to be much cooler for the rest of week which will be nice as the pistes really did turn to slush even higher up today.
snow report
Still managing to find some powder even on well known lift served spots (no one around at the moment). Around 10cm in places. The cold clear nights have kept things relatively fresh

ski holidays
@davidof, we went for the opposite today, though there was, as you say still cold snow around.

Finally really good Spring snow though we were tempted to drop off the back and do a line, but that would have pushed our day to 1,500m vertical, and then dodgy timing for the South Facing back down.

A good line from just under 3,000m

latest report
Spent the past few days on Mount Etna, Sicily.

Snow still skiable down to 1800m today, but melting fast.

Slopes are black (from ash).

Around 10c at 2000m.

Lifts are now closed for the season.
latest report
@Whitegold, got any pictures? Always been interested that you can actually ski on some of the med islands.
ski holidays
Some low pressure anomalies showing up now in early April....GFS, UKMO seem to favour the east, while ECM has the low dropping in further west (would include France and Swiss).
Big differences at just t+144, so less confidence that usual beyond 6-7 days, but the ECM ensembles are supporting the 00z Op run (apr 3-4th). It may end up drifting too far NE, but should be resolved in next few days.

AO set for another pop and drop, along with 10hpa zonal winds, slowing the PV, which would allow another cold shot into mid latitudes. Can see temps going below average over alps into apr.

https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/metdata/annual/merra2/wind/u60n_10_2018_merra2.pdf

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp4
snow conditions
Good chalky snow in the shade here, spring snow to slush lower down, and green meadows in the valley bottom.

Feels cooler today and supposed to get more so later, with maybe 15cms of snow overnight.
latest report
Webcams showing its snowing in Mayrhofen. Smile
snow conditions
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Webcams showing its snowing in Mayrhofen. Smile

Thanks Happy
snow report
Snowing in most Amade resorts too today, a drop in temps is forecast for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
#Polo I am going to admit to having little to no idea what this means ! Would you be able to translate for me ! Essentially I am off to Les Arcs this coming Sunday 31 March 2019 and was wondering (as far as you able to call at this stage) roughly what sort of week we could encounter weather wise.
snow report
@griggs I think she means that there is a low pressure (bringing snow) but different forecasts show it as effecting different places. If it goes further east it’ll miss France but if it comes in west enough then it’ll hit France.

I think we won’t know for a few days which way it’ll go.

That was my interpretation but could be wrong
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Griggs, keep an eye on my page, which hopefully explains a little bit about how to interpret the graphs, all info taken off various threads on here over the years.

My take is warming up this week with little or no precipitation before cooling down again over the weekend, maybe some April showers around....

https://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=Les+Arcs
ski holidays
Like @clarky999 says there’s been some great chalky snow up high in Austria and stunning weather in the Arlberg for last few days up until today. A lot colder for the start of the week before warming up into next weekend and as @polo, mentions some interesting options starting to crop up as we head into April.

snow report
Maybe just another blip, as there was for a brief moment similar accumulations for La Grave for this coming Saturday when I looked with some friends a few days ago, who are leaving this Saturday, hence we thought "sods law" for them as they've been there for three weeks, and then it all disappeared.

Just had another look as Serre Che has a little forecast for next week, so wondered what might be happening over the Col ?

And cold as well!

snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Griggs, keep an eye on my page, which hopefully explains a little bit about how to interpret the graphs, all info taken off various threads on here over the years.

My take is warming up this week with little or no precipitation before cooling down again over the weekend, maybe some April showers around....

https://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=Les+Arcs

Didn't spot when you started doing this but thanks,great resource.
snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
ECM 12z +240

snow report
And more from 18z...

snow report
00z GFS going for a massive dump on the 4th.

Seems to be backed up by ECM.

snow report
@snowheads68, massive dump where?
latest report
Tignes hopefully
ski holidays
06z GFS op run sticking with it snowHead Very Happy
latest report
fingers crossed, on a last min trip to La Thuile 31st-4th April, good old Brexit got me some very well priced flights!
snow report
Do we know where the epicenter of this snowfall is going to be?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy