Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
My final long term forecast for the season, and my seasonal forecast verification:

https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com/2019/02/europe-on-long-term-23rd-feb.html

Looking like a +NAO zonal setup is likely into the month of March. Thank you to all who have read my blogs throughout the season!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jellybeans1000, out of interest have you looked back and seen how your long term forecasts have compared to what actually happened? Genuinely interested and not trying to wind you up Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, I shall give it a try for you. Quotes were the forecast of the day.

Later Feb and Early March.
"All and all, the models show a increasingly snowy Northern Alps. But I expect a -NAO setup in the last two weeks of the month and into the early days of March, that tends to support the Southern Alps (and the UK) in terms of snowfall and building troughing scenarios."
+NAO occurred throughout, except for a day or so. (if the current forecast goes to plan for early March also).
Dominated by a high at least in the second half of Feb (this is probably a weakness of my forecast as a whole, and I am working towards being able to substantiate between a snowfall setup, and a Euro high).

Late Jan and Feb
"My overall view is that from the last week of Jan to the second week of Feb, will feature major snow risks for the Southern Alps and the UK. There will be plenty of cold around, but not so much snow for the Northern Alps. We should see a neutralisation in the later stages of the month."
From what I can see, those major snow risks occurred in the Northern Alps, not the Southern. But I did foresee the "neutralisation", or noted by EC Weeklies at the time, a big fat ridge for Mid-Late Feb.

Jan
"The overall impact of the SSW, and extratropical/tropical factors is a favourable Week 2-4 of January in Europe, and relaxation of the favourable pattern in Early Feb. Overall there will be more cold for the UK and the Southern Alps. It may be less snowy for the Northern Alps, than the South, but they still should get a decent amount of snowfall."
A -NAO never really played ball. It was a great month for the Eastern (especially) and Northern Alps. The extra snowfall for the Southern Alps never really eventuated, but the North got a "decent amount of snowfall".

Late Dec and Early Jan
"The combination between the AAM and the (technical) SSW looks to bring cold and above average snowfall to the European Alps from the 25th Dec, becoming at it's best around New Years, and continuing at least two weeks into January."
There was definitely a favouring of the Eastern Alps in this period, particularly in Jan. The Western Alps had little snow however. So I was right in saying it to bring cold and above average snowfall, it just came from the East only.

I did okay, given that many long term forecasters have had trouble this season, with the weird impacts of the SSW, and extratropical impacts that were rather perculiar, given the very strong +AAM cycles this season. It wasn't amazing, but we learn and move towards the next season Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jellybeans1000, thank you, looks like you did more than just OK
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, thanks I appreciate it. Glad those in the Northern Alps got heaps of freshies, and I hope those in the South get some more soon enough.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely and cold yesterday and this morning, warmed up now.

ECM toying with some fresh snow...

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The wiggles starting to suggest maybe a bit of precipitation from 1-3 March followed by a gradual cooling and more substantial precipitation the following week.

Still looking warm/mild to start off with though. How high is the snowline likely to be in the Southern Alps with this sort of setup?

(I know this is still in the unreliable timeframe but off to Serre Chevalier in 2 weeks and hoping that everything is not going to be washed away by rain !)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ECM coming in line with GFS for the first week of March. Details still unclear but the period around 05/06 March looks like bringing fresh snow to many places, Snowline currently looks like starting relatively high but falling rapidly, but that is still some way out.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jet stream in the EC going south on the continent. A real change from the February weather, but still uncertainty regarding the outcome. Ensambles indicate 50/50 on south/further north regarding the jet stream.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1st March now seems to be getting some support for a much needed top up for some.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A high of 17c forecast for Wednesday in Morzine Cool

Meanwhile here in the UK the humidity is currently below 20% in the North Pennines. The lowest I've ever seen there Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most forecasts site now have dropping temps and snow/rain towards end of this week and into next.

CAn anyone post some of the weather model details as never sure on how to get the right one.

NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Believe whichever you want to believe. They all use different models, cowdoo & Algorithms.
@jimmy38,
j2ski.com
weather-forecast.com
www.accuweather.com
www.meteoblue.com
yr.com
www.metcheck.com
www.myweather2.com
www.meteociel.fr
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there is also wx charts that have stuff to play around
6am run

12pm run
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here are some GFS ensembles (currently showing the 12z run). Slightly unhelpfully not showing the op run... (wetterzentrale is very buggy these days).

Weather cooling from current highs, but still looking a little above average. Increasingly unsettled.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Zermatt

Eastern Pyrenees

snow report
The US West Coast is getting hammered right now. The recent weekend storms that hit the Cascade range of Washington and Oregon made there way inland and had enough energy and moisture to drop 20+" in Central/Southern Idaho, the Tetons and also the Northern Rockies. The Sierras will also see strong moisture flow that will make its way into Utah and the Wasatch range around Thursday. The Northern Colorado resorts will start seeing some of that weakened energy late Thursday into Friday. The weekend will continue to see the West-East flow of moisture streaming in off the Pacific in a wide band of moisture with some warming and cooling intermixed with a yo-yo effect temps as each wave moves to the East.
snow report
More and more indications for southerly jet stream. Will give quite a lot of percipitation over the Pyrenees and the Alps.
snow conditions
06 Gfs run http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=10955&var=201&run=6&date=2019-02-26&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=FS run showing a precipitation spike 'off the chart' for the 8th March for Zermatt/Saas. Too far out I know, but consistent precipitation for the start of March is encouraging
snow report
12z GFS’ snow game is strong.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

for where?
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

im starting to worry about flight getting diverted & loss of days on the slope for upcoming trip
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Bring it on ...
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

im starting to worry about flight getting diverted & loss of days on the slope for upcoming trip

The annual snowheads panic...........will there be enough, will there be too much, will this sun destroy all the slopes, will my plane take off from the uk, will my plane get diverted.........happy days
snow conditions
Bring it, this is setting up perfect for me. 2 weeks starting Sat. Looks like I am in for a lot of soft snow. I may need to start looking for lower elation tree skiing alternatives. Such a terrible compromise to make.
snow conditions
Colder and colder trend from the 6/7 of March. EC ens even indicating colder than normal for Alp region.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 27-02-19 6:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skiberg wrote:
I may need to start looking for lower elation tree skiing

Nobody wants lower elation tree skiing...get out there and find some high-elation tree skiing! Laughing
snow report
This how GFS sees the coming snowfall out to the end of next Wednesday. Focussed mainly on the northern side of the Alps. Temperatures looking at or a little below seasonal average on the op run.

latest report
What a season, sunny and dry for the holidays, snowy the rest of the time. Everyone is happy Cool sun tans, sore legs and a bunch of plucky seedlings breaking through.

Tuesday looking good for the flow to swing W/NW, and it's even going to snow in France this Friday as the FL goes crypto, diving from 3500 to 1000m in two days
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, Just right for the SOPiB in Serre Chevalier, starting 9 March Smile Smile snowHead
snow report
@Chamcham, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@polo,

Spot on
latest report
Quote:

FL goes crypto

Laughing
snow report
A work colleague yesterday commented on my obsessive looking at weather report sites and this thread:
"You can't change it - what's the point?"
Oh, the poor unfortunate.
She can never understand the thrill of watching the charts change, the temperature fall, the possibility of snow appear, and all getting wonderful for when i arrive the end of next week snowHead
latest report
Jonpim wrote:

She can never understand the thrill of watching the charts change, the temperature fall, the possibility of snow appear, and all getting wonderful for when i arrive the end of next week snowHead

Haha same!
snow report
@Jonpim, what about the flip side of the coin Shocked
snow conditions
Just got back from Sierra Nevada yesterday after a long weekend. I honestly thought it was April... Stunning weather conditions with temps into the 20 deg C each day. Skied only in baselayer and jacket as it was too warm for other layers.. Conditions on Piste were still excellent even with the high temps and the beers flowed real nice on the slopes Cool

Looking to Sauze on the 10th now... and some hope of "fresh" stuff NehNeh
ski holidays
For what it's worth, WePowder just changed their forecast over the last couple of hours. Now non-stop snow for 10 days starting on the first. Predicted to go down to very low levels on Wednesday 6th, including nearly all of southern Germany, Zurich, Aosta and Central France

latest report
Arriving Les Arcs 9th March, get in there, thank you snow God.
ski holidays
+27C in some of the Pyrenean valleys today. A record.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
+27C in some of the Pyrenean valleys today. A record.
Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy