Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody have instructions for the snow dance?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/qJcl-RjdQzk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zzz, spring? Feels liie summer!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, really?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T shirt weather here.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, are you in Champoluc now? What are the conditions like?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its really warm spring weather in Chamonix right now as it is, but this is just getting ridiculous:

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good times and fine spring conditions look set to continue all week with temperatures peaking on Monday.

There still remains a considerable spread from 22 February.

Chamonix

Schladming

Towards the end of the run the op is something of an outlier both in how mild it goes then in how cold it goes in early March.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Huge discrepancy between snowforecast.com (I know, I know) and real world. Sf has temps not dropping below freezing in our local resort, in real life they were out by 12 degrees as it was a peaky -5 instead of the 7 deg they predicted for this morning (les rousses/la dole in the Jura). Conditions on piste are fabulous, off piste is crusty early then transforming to nice spring corn by 12-13h. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wonderful warm and unbroken sunshine in la Clusaz / Manigod. Sat on the balcony in shorts and tshirt. Had to come inside, it’s cooler in the chalet !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
staffsan wrote:
Its really warm spring weather in Chamonix right now as it is, but this is just getting ridiculous:

@staffsan, counting how many toys are being chucked out of your pram about your upcoming holiday weather is one of the most amusing activities in which I have engaged on this forum. Please continue Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had a great lunchtime barbecue in the PDS, T-shirt weather.

Skiing yesterday was spring conditions. Glorious. But stuff is melting away already...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd wrote:
staffsan wrote:

@staffsan, counting how many toys are being chucked out of your pram about your upcoming holiday weather is one of the most amusing activities in which I have engaged on this forum. Please continue Razz

Not that i'm familiar with the phrase "chuckle out of ones pram", but i get the picture. Youre welcome! Here's more for you: ive been spending my day strolling around the town getting drunk instead of skiing since i honestly dont even feel like skiing in these conditions. Enyoy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@staffsan, conditions like beautiful blue skies, pleasant temps, no doubt still good snow in the morning/early afternoon on North facing slopes and potentially off piste corn shortly??

Crack on in the bars, you are missing out!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, It's not that i dont like warmth and sun, but i don't like spring conditions. I've tried it several times and it's never been fun. I just had nine really shitty months at work and was looking forward to some good snow and now it seems i've managed to hit the almost exact two weeks of unseasonable warm conditions if forecasts twoo weeks out are somewhat correct.
Å
Feels like im competing with other fear mongerers on this forum for being the most unpopular contributor right now, although i'd like to regard myself more as the forum Eeyore. Don't you need it for opinion diversity though? Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 16-02-19 15:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@staffsan, Interesting, what don't you like about it??

Not sure of your experience/standard but rightly timed off piste corn is almost as good as powder IMHO, and a freshly pisted run softening in the sun just right can also be fantastic!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Getting too hot, getting wet, the sensation of spring snow under my skis, i dont like the scenery - i like the trees white, water puddles, heavy slush moguls, as you noted - that you have to time your skiing more, and most of all: the crust, the horrible crust.
snow conditions
And well, of course, the abscence of powder. Guess that one's obvious though.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
............potentially off piste corn shortly??..........

I'm still stoked, as well as having first silly suntan of the season Laughing

I can confirm, at least in this part of the world that the snow is transforming nicely.

Temps at 1400m were down to -5 after highs yesterday of +13.

I started climbing up hard frozen SW facing slopes at 09:00 doing 1,300m getting to the summit circa 13:00 and anything facing S/SE had transformed nicely at circa 2,700.

The only trouble is the varied snowpack, wind affected slopes will not transform as quickly as the temp of the snow is colder and the pack is denser, plus this time of year the sun is still relatively low so you have to choose not only your aspect but gradient as well and keep away from wind affected snow, all those factors make for continual route assessment which I always enjoy, and the lower down you get the more you search out those aspects that have not seen so much sun.

You can see how the above translates in the route skied https://www.strava.com/activities/2152899462/overview

I nearly photoshopped a speech bubble coming out from the dogs "staffsan you're having a laugh" Laughing

Sweet corn that the dogs find easier than powder

snow report
@Weathercam, nice doggies! But all this talk of sweet spring corn an sun etc - reminds me of the lies we tell children to convince ourselves the world isn't a horrible place.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 16-02-19 16:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I may be wrong but the weather cycle is set up to be much kinder to the snow with you as the freeze cycle at night is still there. As always so different with first hand commentary as opposed to trying to read the tea leaves. Glad you've now got some decent conditions. And that sun.....glorious!
ski holidays
@staffsan, be thankful.
latest report
@RetroBod, yes i know. Sorry.
snow report
@staffsan, if you'd come out with me today you'd be sinking some beers saying that was the best day's skiing that you've ever had.

Though maybe not the climbing part of it Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 16-02-19 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Stop your whining and get on with enjoying your holiday
ski holidays
@Weathercam, arriving tomorrow with the hordes you so hate. Sorry. Mrs R still tied to school hols. But it all sounds great, especially the prospect of beers au balcon. @staffsan, I have skied so much worse in Feb;taking lifts over grazing horses in Morzine is one of my most vivid. You really will enjoy the sun. Spring weather with Feb snow-pack. Really is worth soaking it up.....after taking the appropriate precautions with sunscreen etc!!
snow report
staffsan wrote:
@Weathercam, nice doggies! But all this talk of sweet spring corn an sun etc - reminds me of the lies we tell children to convince ourselves the world isn't a horrible place.

I'm starting to think you've just never skied proper corn snow. Feels like pure velvet - on piste or off. Genuinely, other than powder, there's simply no better type of snow to ski on!
snow report
Some interesting things bubbling up in FI...

Obviously you need to see that pattern being repeated in subsequent runs before taking that seriously. All the same worth keeping an eye on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:

That does look really nice Going green Going green
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Obviously you need to see that pattern being repeated in subsequent runs before taking that seriously. All the same worth keeping an eye on.

Hah! Exactly two weeks from now! Clearly ive done something wrong to deserve this, whatever it is i ask forgiveness! (Could it be whining too much?)
ski holidays
@staffsan,
Skied powder between 2600 and 2000ms on a north face , a few tracks but not track out .

You just need to know where to look and you won’t find it in a bar , unless it’s the wrong type of powder .
ski holidays
staffsan wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Hah! Exactly two weeks from now! Clearly ive done something wrong to deserve this, whatever it is i ask forgiveness! (Could it be whining too much?)

Jeez, what a whining brat you sound like rolling eyes

Get a grip and enjoy your holiday instead of whinging on a forum.
ski holidays
I’ve noticed that it’s mainly people who are in the Alps all winter saying it’s not important if there’s a week long thaw next week.
If it’s your only week of skiing a year, you might have a different perspective.

BTW that 6z I commented on when it was in FI was pretty much spot on.

You’re welcome.
ski holidays
Drammeister wrote:
I’ve noticed that it’s mainly people who are in the Alps all winter saying it’s not important if there’s a week long thaw next week.
If it’s your only week of skiing a year, you might have a different perspective.

BTW that 6z I commented on when it was in FI was pretty much spot on.

You’re welcome.

snow conditions
Truly horrible out in the Pyrenees having to apply sun cream several times a day

snow conditions
Drammeister wrote:

So don’t book a fixed week in a fixed location months and months in advance and expect blower powder and blue skies rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Thread drift here. But fwiw, I had a great on piste day today. Mostly above 2400m in VT, but the ski back to 1400m was pretty good too.
ski holidays
staffsan wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Just enjoy the sunny, warm days and stop moaning for the love of god. Why don’t you stay at home and help your missus plant some bulbs and put some compost in the veg patch.
ski holidays
franga wrote:

Just enjoy the sunny, warm days and stop moaning for the love of god. Why don’t you stay at home and help your missus plant some bulbs and put some compost in the veg patch.

Exactly. Whatever the weather is, some people will always want something different. Just enjoy what we have. Personally I think it’s wonderful.
snow report
Drammeister wrote:
If it’s your only week of skiing a year, you might have a different perspective

No, not at all.

You are totally missing the point.

With experience, one knows that a week long thaw (which this is not, at all, dropped below -12C earlier in the week) if it was happening, is not going to make a big difference at all.

We're not talking London style snow here.

Conditions yesterday were just lovely. Spring snow off piste, immaculate, soft and powdery piste snow and wall to wall blue skies and sunshine.

What is not to like?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy