Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
It may be that they can't clear the paths or that enough teachers can't get in from where they live.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Staying a bit colder than expected, snowline around 900-1000 meters in the Chartreuse using the JLOOTW method, zero iso at 1200 meters; we've had 20cm at that altitude, 40cm at 2200 m.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Current weather in UK shows how hard it is to forecast snow amounts. We are a few miles south of Bristol in North Somerset and forecast yesterday was for about 3cm. Started showing about 5:30pm yesterday and still snowing now. We currently have about 35cm of snow in the fields without drifting !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little Martin wrote:
amazing conditions reported by the bbc in the uk, a whole 3cm of snow at heathrow and they start cancelling flights.

Better get the skis out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-47085304

Might be more that the receiving airport (small Domestics) is closed rather than an issue at Heathrow?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
Little Martin wrote:
amazing conditions reported by the bbc in the uk, a whole 3cm of snow at heathrow and they start cancelling flights.

Better get the skis out.

Might be more that the receiving airport (small Domestics) is closed rather than an issue at Heathrow?

Not really. Most domestic flights out of LHR are to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Aberdeen and Newcastle. Currently very cold in Scotland but clear skies. Generally they cancel shorthaul to ensure that where runway capacity is reduced they use what they have for long-haul.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaza wrote:
ster wrote:
Little Martin wrote:

Better get the skis out.

Not really. Most domestic flights out of LHR are to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Aberdeen and Newcastle. Currently very cold in Scotland but clear skies. Generally they cancel shorthaul to ensure that where runway capacity is reduced they use what they have for long-haul.

Unfortunately our 17:20 Swiss Air to GVA was cancelled and now rebooked on Sat morning. Plane had a technical issue - not weather related rolling eyes

Now major delays into GVA due to fog!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-02-19 10:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Huge snowfalls for California over the next 4 days. 200cm+ for many resorts!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grahamt1980 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@nozawaonsen,
extreme

cue panic buying of milk & bread. It will be like a mini brexit. no doubt us* older lot will show the younger lot how we used to do it back in the day.

* not a single snowflake showing for my town though!

There is no way that is real

it was a good effort though! we did get a few flakes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strong Föhn last night. 11C and very stormy abive Zell late at night. Snowline in Saalbach is about The Thurneralm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Im at gva just now, viz only a few hundred metres and arrival/departure flows reduced. Looks like it’s in for the day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I dont want do be a doom-mongerer, but the forecasts right now look horrid for february. Is winter over?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you say horrid @staffsan, do you mean warm and sunny ! That sounds like just the job to me.

It’s a while off yet and will probably change , what do the models currently suggest for Aravis middle of the month ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@staffsan, what part of the world are you referring to?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m not liking the 6z op run in FI in the eastern alps.
Warm and dry.

There’s still uncertainty though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@staffsan, what part of the world are you referring to?
The alps! More specifically the NW alps!
snow report
Renry wrote:
When you say horrid @staffsan, do you mean warm and sunny ! That sounds like just the job to me.

It’s a while off yet and will probably change , what do the models currently suggest for Aravis middle of the month ?

I like warm and sunny too. During the summertime.

This is a forum dedicated to the love of snow, no? Smile
snow report
staffsan wrote:
Is winter over?

Hmmm.

Er.

No.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
staffsan wrote:
Is winter over?

Hmmm.

Er.

No.

Thanks Noza!
That's all i needed!
ski holidays
Yes I can confirm winter is not over, that's why there is another one of these....

https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com/2019/02/europe-on-long-term-2nd-feb.html

"All and all, the models show a increasingly snowy Northern Alps. But I expect a -NAO setup in the last two weeks of the month and into the early days of March, that tends to support the Southern Alps (and the UK) in terms of snowfall and building troughing scenarios. In the medium term, we should see an atmosphere conducive to snowfall across the Northern Alps, and perhaps as we move forward, more so towards Austria, at least expect more cold there if anything."
snow report
@Jellybeans1000, thats really nice, thanks! I read Amy Butlers tweet saying that the AO is negative but the NAO stayed neutral. Was that only for short time, or are you of different opinions?
latest report
staffsan wrote:
Renry wrote:

I like warm and sunny too. During the summertime.

This is a forum dedicated to the love of snow, no? Smile

I think I might have worked that out in the 13 years I have used this forum, my point was sunny and mild with plenty of the white stuff is favourable
snow conditions
@Renry, Yeah, i was just trying to be a bit cheeky. Each to his own i gess, i see no point in skiing if its too mild, rather stay at home than having to put up with slush.
latest report
Drammeister wrote:
Warm and dry.

Warm, I can’t see that? What’s your definition of warm?
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Warm and dry.

+5 degrees at 1500m. So FL at about 2000m, which is above the top of most eastern resorts for at least a week.

12z still mostly warm.
snow report
Drammeister wrote:
franga wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Warm and dry.

+5 degrees at 1500m. So FL at about 2000m, which is above the top of most eastern resorts for at least a week.

12z still mostly warm.

Beautiful winter sports conditions then.
snow conditions
Waiting for @nozawaonsen,to offer his wisdom for Feb half term
ski holidays
Drammeister wrote:
franga wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Warm and dry.

12z still mostly warm.

When is this for?

I’m in St Anton from tomorrow for a week and the forecast doesn’t look too bad. Heavy snow tomorrow then sun for a few days. Have barely seen the sun this week in 3V! (not that I’m complaining). It does look like some lower resorts might cop some rain.
ski holidays
Raven wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
franga wrote:
Drammeister wrote:
Warm and dry.

12z still mostly warm.

When is this for?

I’m in St Anton from tomorrow for a week and the forecast doesn’t look too bad. Heavy snow tomorrow then sun for a few days. Have barely seen the sun this week in 3V! (not that I’m complaining). It does look like some lower resorts might cop some rain.

I think the sentiment is most of us coming in for February have seen the cold in January and now following the 7-10 day period of steady snow in the west, it appears to be warm next week bringing the freeze/thaw cycles down low. I guess it's normal for February in the alps. The only places I've skied with great cold smoke powder and cold temps are Jackson and Utah. Though I've heard St Anton can be pretty sweet. It was good but not great on my only visit. It seeems to be rare though to get fresh snow and persistent cold in the Alps. Im still looking forward to my first visit to EK tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Snowline in Saalbach is about The Thurneralm

Currently (01.00am) sleeting at village level. Temperature dropping thank goodness!
ski holidays
@staffsan, yes my point is the last two weeks of the month will feature a -NAO. She is talking about right now.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, yep lots of snow all the way down to The Valley floor. Still snowing heavily.
snow conditions
Quote:

It seeems to be rare though to get fresh snow and persistent cold in the Alps

@Ptspeak, It's not exactly rare, just fleeting, usually.

Had a lovely dump on Friday but due to chores (moving country) and illness we couldn't get out to get fresh tracks. Genuine Utah/BC/WY style powder. (and I have experienced all of those, so I do know what I'm looking at). But it warmed up by afternoon and got a little heavy.
snow report
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
@staffsan, yes my point is the last two weeks of the month will feature a -NAO. She is talking about right now.

@jelkybeans100, what does this mean?
snow conditions
“it appears to be warm next week bringing the freeze/thaw cycles down low.”

The two subsequent GFS op runs do show a couple of cooler periods, but the 6z I was commenting on, would have had a week long thaw.
ski holidays
@Drammeister, but you were looking too far ahead to take it as a forecast. The ensemble spread was and is fairly wide from 10 February. Nevertheless a period of relatively mild weather around that period looks increasingly possible. How long it lasts is much less clear. Meanwhile much fun watching the farm dog chasing the snow plough this morning. Still snowing, but less heavily than before.
snow report
Just back from Alpe d'Huez and Friday it rained at around 1700m, wet snow above in the main centre at 1800m. Hopefully just a brief blip before it gets colder again.
ski holidays
Not feeling too warm here! Another 20cm down to the valley overnight
latest report
les 7 laux is largely closed today, they've lost the pistes, if anyone finds them can they inform the resort?

ski holidays
Just back from a week in Passo Tonale, skiing on very old but excellently managed snow (hadn't snowed to speak of since some time in December). Got 5cm or so on Thursday, which improved things a little, and then it really, really started coming down - well over a metre on Friday and Saturday. So, lovely conditions for anyone out there this coming week. Just really, really annoying that it came at the very end of our week, too late for us to take advantage. Sad
snow report
We are at about 1100m, below Paradiski. We have had solid snow for a week now, and only the last couple of days have the temps crept above freezing (first time since before Christmas). Locals here say it's very unusual to get such sustained cold snowy weather as we have had. Normally it snows, thaws, rains,snows again etc. At present we are just getting buried in snow, I have done so much snow clearing I am getting fed up with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy