Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
12z UKMO my goodness, setting the bar high. Snowy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@polo, where?!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
-19c for les arcs next wednesday when I arrive. Thermals will be needed!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

thats going to hurt my gas bill if that happens.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to compare UKMET and ECMWF.

The difference in the amount of upper cold air is pretty big, 5-6 day range, will be interesting to see which model gets the right solution, or is there a scenario in the middle.

As for what gets the most snowfall, it will be hard to tell, because the tracks of the surface low of this nature are hard to predict. While GFS shows it going over Italy for a day, and then moving north to Poland, spreading the snowfall across both sides, EC shows the low moving south only.

You can also see the trend in LR models, and even on EC short term, towards lows and systems that lean towards snowfall in the Southern Alps, which I noted and demonstrated using the climate Drivers in my blog (page before this)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latest on snow pattern from ECM

Latest from GFS

Increasing consensus and broadly what you would expect as the NAO heads negative next week.

Some slightly milder notes creeping into the far end of ECM, but that’s a long way out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nozawaonsen, doesn't look like that quite stretches to Serre Che? Although they seem to sit in their own meteorlogical system...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So looks like different options for week off the 26th in les gets, either going to be really cold and dry or potentially mixed with chance of snow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nozawaonsen, so what is the synopsis for Saalbach this week, I don’t understand all this chart stuff!!

Thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
06z pulls back on the snow...

Dives deep into the cold...

http://youtube.com/v/uQICM29Ffxs
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go Kriechmayr!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen wrote:
06z pulls back on the snow...

Dives deep into the cold...

http://youtube.com/v/uQICM29Ffxs

Note to self. Pack more layers snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://twitter.com/liamdutton/status/1086599723446947840?s=21
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@nozawaonsen, Whitegold definitely works for the daily express. What’s the outlook for the espace Killy, would like it to snow lots for the next two weeks and then a week of sun from the 3rd please.
snow report
This evening’s GFS would see most snow in the Alps (by a little) for Austria, but looking at today’s output so far there is still a lot of slipping and sliding, overall the strongest signal in the next week or so is for cold rather than snow. Maybe ECM will clarify things later...

Pyrenees would not do too badly out of that.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, do you think that models and forecasters are still finding it hard to agree on a particular scenario given the uncertainty introduced by the SSW event or have we got past that stage now?
ski holidays
@franga, in the middle of it...

Very chilly tonight in the hills round Schladming. -10c. Wolf moon nearing.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, thanks.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 19-01-19 20:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Good review from LWD Tirol.

https://avalanche.report/beta/blog/avalanche-warning-service-tirol.blogspot.com/7004219944270521913?searchLang=en&lang=en

“Huge amounts of snow fell on the Seegrube above Innsbruck: between Sunday morning 13.01 and Tuesday morning 15.01 there was 215 cm of fresh snow registered.”
snow report

-20.5C minimum in Radstadt today!
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Skullie
ski holidays
I’m looking at the gfs ensembles for Niseko - have they got stuck? They all seem dated 17th of Jan. I’m looking at the wetterzentralle website and using ‘niseko town’. I’m on a phone so I dont know if it empties cache when I refresh.
snow conditions
Ten minutes fiddling to find “remove all website data” has cured the blockage.
ski holidays
Cold this morning!

Meanwhile snowfall wise there looks like being a little in the western Alps midweek, but it’s parts of the Pyrenees that look like picking up the most.

snow report
@nozawaonsen, Retour D'Est all but disappeared precipitation wise two days ago, but now back and now heavy snowfalls predicted for Piedmont and parts of Queyras, though will probably all change again rolling eyes

So could well be another road trip Cool
snow conditions
Snowforecast totals seems all over the place and changing significantly every run. Will be interesting to see how it actually pans out. The cold temps seem pretty consistent at least.
latest report
@Raven, within 24 hours Paradiski has gone from <10cm>40cm, now back down to <5cm. Let’s see what happens. I fly out on Tuesday Liverpool to Geneva, some weather models are now picking up snow for the north west England Tuesday morning. I hope not!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
@Raven, within 24 hours Paradiski has gone from <10cm>40cm, now back down to <5cm. Let’s see what happens. I fly out on Tuesday Liverpool to Geneva, some weather models are now picking up snow for the north west England Tuesday morning. I hope not!
Piste conditions are just about perfect in Les Arcs right now, and with forecast temperatures and relatively few people in resort that is not going to change before you arrive. Fresh snow is always nice, but for piste skiers it would be gilding the Lilly Happy
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
... but it’s parts of the Pyrenees that look like picking up the most.
Looks very tasty. Next destination, Baqueria... Happy
ski holidays
Whilst the French Alps are in the deep freeze don’t expect anything other than light snow .
snow report
Scotland due a puke Mon and Tues.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Piste conditions are just about perfect in Les Arcs right now, and with forecast temperatures and relatively few people in resort that is not going to change before you arrive. Fresh snow is always nice, but for piste skiers it would be gilding the Lilly Happy

That’s good to hear Rob. Forecasts have changed again showing a few cm again. Is everything open now?
ski holidays
never snows in Liverpool Ricklovesthepowder snowHead
ski holidays
@leggyblonde, croatia and pyrenees as it turns out this time as the low sinks into the med wed/thurs, south and west alps to get some too.....but looks like a return to more NW-SE flow next weekend, so should be more widespread
snow report
That’s good to hear Rob. Forecasts have changed again showing a few cm again. Is everything open now?
I think so. I returned to the UK yesterday, but from what I could see everything was open after they had secured the domain after the heavy snow which fell at the start of the week.
latest report
Perfect. @rob@rar,

Some decent snowfall Tuesday/Wednesday too by the looks of things!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Piste conditions are just about perfect in Les Arcs right now, and with forecast temperatures and relatively few people in resort that is not going to change before you arrive. Fresh snow is always nice, but for piste skiers it would be gilding the Lilly Happy [/quote]

Mmmmm .. a month's skiing in Switzerland with just about enough snow - but skis only needing edges polished.
2 runs in Vallandry and stones at lower end of Myrtilles caused considerable damage - not impressed. Was better higher, but you do have to return to base. Ok to say be careful, but these were not just a few!
snow conditions
Heading out to the 3 valleys this Saturday, not sure how to get the charts.

Anyone got a quick few words on what might be happening with the weather in that part of the alps?

Ps - appreciate all the posts on this thread from the weather experts!
ski holidays
@kapt, I'm a bit confused by this post, are you saying conditions in Paradiski are poor?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy