Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@mrvinegar, i guess you should look at the levels of precipitation? At least when sub-zero temps.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nozawaonsen, Is Serre Chevaller classed as Southern Alps ?? or Southern NW Alps !! will be there 20th for a week.
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thunderer wrote:
@nozawaonsen, Is Serre Chevaller classed as Southern Alps ?? or Southern NW Alps !! will be there 20th for a week.

It is in the Southern Alps, it has different weather patterns as it is protected by high mountains. To give you an idea snow is forecast for la Grave tomorrow but just over the Lauteret at Serre Chevalier it will be sunny. A distance of a few km. Because it is close to both the N.A. and Italy it can pick up some weak overflow from both sectors - hence the "microclimate" claims which are somewhat justified.

Outlook is sunny until the end of the weekend, maybe some more significant snow next week. It hasn't snowed in the sector since the 21st of December and there have been very strong winds which have removed any loose snow.

Weathercam, Helen or Kenx can tell you about the situation - they can JLOTW for example. From what I've seen and been told by people I know who ski there reguarly they are doing better than the Northern French Alps in terms of snow depths as they didn't get blitzed by the high altitude rain and picked up the retour d'est early season. Weathercam's video from yesterday looked very pleasant.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mrvinegar wrote:
@nozawaonsen What should I be looking out for in those charts ? General "disturbance", or is there something specific that means snow?

The bottom white line (with right hand Y axis as units) is predicted precipitation over time (average of models I think). The further into the future (towards the right) , the less accurate the prediction
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
risb98 wrote:
mrvinegar wrote:
@nozawaonsen What should I be looking out for in those charts ? General "disturbance", or is there something specific that means snow?

The bottom white line (with right hand Y axis as units) is predicted precipitation over time (average of models I think). The further into the future (towards the right) , the less accurate the prediction

Thanks, and is the centre line temperature?
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austrian mountain rescue teams concerned warnings over avalanche risk are falling on “deaf ears” and urge people to take more caution and urge restraint.

https://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2957200/
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Out in the far reaches of fantasy, does this ensemble give me a slight chink of light that madonna di campiglio may recieve the cosmetic dusting I crave before heading out on the 26th?

latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@scotspikey, or Alleghe, or Arabba!
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@scotspikey, if you want more straws, then the latest EC monthly anomalies suggest Jan weeks 3 and 4 will be above average precipitation (and cold) for the southern alps.

Week 2 actually coming out milder than average for most of europe, then 3 and 4 go cold again, with precipitation heavy in the west and south.

Probably not worth a lot that far away, but nice to have in the hope locker.

http://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/applications/monthly-forecast/
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking like some much needed precipitation for France then snowHead Have faith

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-01-19 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrvinegar wrote:
risb98 wrote:
mrvinegar wrote:

Thanks, and is the centre line temperature?

yes, red line is 30yr average, white line is predicted temp.
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@risb98, as mrvinegar said, the white line is the average of the ensembles.
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lol - this will be a laugh - me trying to explain it!

The lines in the middle of the chart are the temperature forecasts of the various runs they have done, changing one or 2 parameters each time and read off the right hand side y axis.
The lines along the bottom are the associated precipitation and measured off the LHS y axis.
If you agreement between all the runs that there will be precipitation and the temp is below zero that would indicate snow.

Am I slavering??
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've noticed that in Obergurgl the majority of lifts and pistes are closed due to weather. We are looking at a week of skiing from 26th Jan. In your opinions, do you think we are safe to book now and the majority of lifts / pistes be open, or should we look at going back to chamonix (albeit they don't seem to have had much snow yet). TIA Dave
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, how are the forecasts holding up regarding the Atlantic high moving west and the alps getting a more NW flow? Would somebody please say something comforting for a anxious Cham-lover?
ski holidays     
@daveyc2k2, way too early to talk about the weather then, but if you're concerned by it, why not look at a different resort in Tirol/Ötztal? It's not like snow is going to be a problem, even in the lowest resorts wink
snow report     
@clarky999 any resorts you'd recommend? Preferably no more than 2 hour transfer from the airport
snow report     
nozawaonsen wrote:
Quick summary of ORF article below.

Concern growing in Austria of a catastrophic situation not seen in decades. Between Wednesday and Friday 60cm of snow in the valleys and 120m of snow in the mountains is expected in Tirol, mostly in areas already worst affected. The army is calling up more helicopters, a crisis group had met and exposed roads are likely to be closed. Some valleys may be closed for several days.

https://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2957280/

1999 we were skiing in Hochgurgl at the start of a seemingly 6 week long blizzard throughout the entire alps. Many lives were lost including in Galtur of course and in a village near Chamonix. I remember the recorded (compacted) piste depth at many places such as Flaine and St Anton reaching 6 metres at the highest sites.
snow conditions     
leggyblonde wrote:
@risb98, as mrvinegar said, the white line is the average of the ensembles.

agree, that is what I meant to say.....
snow report     
It would seem that the GFS "wigglies" for Flaine are showing more and more precipitation with each run for 13th - 15th, is this backed up by any of the other models?
snow report     
@daveyc2k2, almost certainly the lifts are closed because of wind. You can't really build a holiday around that risk in advance unless you're looking just a few days ago.

However, the lower resorts are generally less affected by wind. So where I am today the lower lifts are all open. As clarkey says there is lots of snow now so lower resorts will be fine, but I always like to be well about freezing line for powder.

But I wouldn't be concerned about wind causing problems this far in advance.
snow report     
Thanks very much. We are considering Zell Am See and it would be a saving of approx £1k, so may go for that instead. Although I liked the idea of ski-in ski-out at Obergurgl
ski holidays     
daveyc2k2 wrote:
I've noticed that in Obergurgl the majority of lifts and pistes are closed due to weather. We are looking at a week of skiing from 26th Jan. In your opinions, do you think we are safe to book now and the majority of lifts / pistes be open, or should we look at going back to chamonix (albeit they don't seem to have had much snow yet). TIA Dave

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is as high as it gets in Austria resort wise so is prone to stormy weather. As Clarky says you can go anywhere with all this snow. Theres loads of resorts, what kind of group, level of sliding and what you want apreś wise will help us advise you.
latest report     
robboj wrote:
daveyc2k2 wrote:

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is as high as it gets in Austria resort wise so is prone to stormy weather. As Clarky says you can go anywhere with all this snow. Theres loads of resorts, what kind of group, level of sliding and what you want apreś wise will help us advise you.

Thank you. It is only my wife and I. I would say we are intermediate skiers but do not do any off-piste. In terms of apres, we are pretty easy going. We enjoyed the buzz of Chamonix but also enjoyed the serenity of Niederau a couple of times (although Niederau was a bit tame for skiing).
ski holidays     
Parts of Upper Styria will be declared level 5 avalanche risk from 1800 for the first time in 10 years.

In some cases buildings may need to be evacuated.

Snow depths in the mountains in Styria are now at the highest for early January in the last 15 years.

https://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2957427/

Salzburg civil defence is warning people in the countryside that valleys could be cut off and supplies to shops could be limited. Also asking them to consider what they would do in the event of power cuts.
snow report     
GFS 12z opens the gates to snow on the west in second half of January... (in fact the whole northern Alps).

Meanwhile still reckoning on a lot more in the east before then.

ski holidays     
Noza - please stop with all this snow! I want to be able to get to Ischgl and to be able to ski.... (Assuming Arlberg isn't quite as badly hit as Styria and Salzburg area?)
snow report     
Google Maps shows some closures with traffic on: I can see Hochgurgl road is closed. Looks bad east of Maria Alm. Fair bit of slow roads (unsurprisingly)

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.0597313,10.7689919,10z/data=!5m1!1e1
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avi level 5 around dachstein (north side I think)

http://lawine-steiermark.at/
ski holidays     
buchanan101 wrote:
Google Maps shows some closures with traffic on: I can see Hochgurgl road is closed. Looks bad east of Maria Alm. Fair bit of slow roads (unsurprisingly)

Ah that’s a shame. What connection it has with the general weather outlook for skiing in the northern hemisphere winter you’ll have to explain however Puzzled
latest report     
All the main artery roads will be kept open, any closures will be short. Some valleys will get cut off but rarely and only for a day or two. Probably not worth worrying about and probably not far from another resort that's on the artery kept open.
snow conditions     
Nelbert75 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Ah that’s a shame. What connection it has with the general weather outlook for skiing in the northern hemisphere winter you’ll have to explain however Puzzled

Well, it is a closure, of a road, to a ski resort, caused by a weather event, specifically a weather event of interest and indeed necessary to anyone who wants to go skiing. And the general weather outlook for skiing in the Northern hemisphere, and specifically readers of this thread, is quite focussed on austria right now.
ski holidays     
Hi looking for good news for snow forecasts for Les Giettaz from 20th Jan. first time skiing in a lower altitude resort and beginning to regret the choice Puzzled
snow report     
"the general weather outlook for skiing in the Northern hemisphere, and specifically readers of this thread, is quite focussed on austria right now"

Indeed so - but there are other interests here abouts.

Balance & moderation in all things Very Happy - now - about France . . . . .
ski holidays     
kapt wrote:
...now - about France . . . . .

Yes, please?
latest report     
If people want to talk about other areas, and other aspects of the weather, maybe they could start that conversation by contributing something about it themselves..?
snow conditions     
clarky999 wrote:
If people want to talk about other areas, and other aspects of the weather, maybe they could start that conversation by contributing something about it themselves..?

I'm not a weather expert.
I find this site an invaluable resource.
I respect opinions.
Anything else. . . ???
snow report     
staffsan wrote:
kapt wrote:
...now - about France . . . . .

Yes, please?

In my part of the French nw alps it has been a day of intermittent snow, which improved things throughout the day. It has now set in for the evening. All good. I have no idea if any roads are closed , and I don’t care wink
ski holidays     
daveyc2k2 wrote:
robboj wrote:
daveyc2k2 wrote:

Thank you. It is only my wife and I. I would say we are intermediate skiers but do not do any off-piste. In terms of apres, we are pretty easy going. We enjoyed the buzz of Chamonix but also enjoyed the serenity of Niederau a couple of times (although Niederau was a bit tame for skiing).

Obergurgl would suit you well unless you want loads of different kms to cover, if your happy skiing the same pistes each day then its a definite option. If your on a budget then not so much choice but if 4 & 5 star hotels and half board accommodation is your thing then there lots of choices. Great apreś in the famous Nederhutte but only til 7pm then its back to the hotels for dinner and drinks. I go there often an like it but its big attraction is its relatively snowsuredness which is kinda redundant this year. Otherwise jeez, where to start, Saalbach for sure. Zell am See and Kitzbühel for the buzz of actual towns that are year round resorts.
latest report     

Back to the weather...

This is how Meteo Alpes sees the breakdown for snowfall for France tomorrow.

https://www.meteoalpes.fr/2019/01/08/episode-neigeux-jusqu-%C3%A0-tr%C3%A8s-basse-altitude/
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy