Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
ECM 00z FI interesting. A more general outbreak of cold across Europe with snow pushing into the west.

Obviously a bit far out for now. But worth keeping an eye on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/prognose/

A huge amount of shorter term snow on the way to Austria. snowHead Next week could be amazing.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/surface-pressure/

The anticyclone stays centred over England the next 5 days giving us great dry weather but allowing artic air to sink down to our east right, into Central Europe.

Only a bit of snow will probably creep across into the Dolomites but I suspect pistes are already good there because they were not saturated by rain in December.

Wrap up warm from tomorrow. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
ECM 00z FI interesting. A more general outbreak of cold across Europe with snow pushing into the west.

Obviously a bit far out for now. But worth keeping an eye on.

Great work as always Nozawa.

It’s just frustrating that for those of us wanting snow in the West that it always just seems close enough to touch in FI then fizzles out.

I won’t lie, I’m a bit jealous of those currently in Austria or about to head off. Have fun anyway snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crikey. This thread is going off piste. I click on it and read it to read about weather. I've just been forced to read a page of nonsense. Let's keep it on topic guys and girls. The weather is already making me angry enough without arguments about 'snowsure' and the like.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scotspikey, +1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@scotspikey, +1

@nozawaonsen, thanks for your contributions to this thread
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gonna be snowy...https://www.bergfex.com/krippenstein/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
12z GFS continues to favour Austria.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*sigh* With two weeks leave invested in France for January this horrid pattern (for western alps) is very frustrating!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm off to the Salzburgerland as from Sat 5th, but now starting to worry that there might be too much snow...that 237kg/m2 precip figure sits right where I'm heading, so up to 237cm snow..8ft??!! I know it's a headline figure, but still, any thoughts??

Could they be closing large parts of resorts until they can secure it all??

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 1-01-19 21:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
God, don't say that! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, main thought is it is unlikely to be that much. However, with strong winds and heavy snow to low levels there could be some disruption.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jenniper wrote:
God, don't say that! Laughing

BBC Weather has heavy snow and hovering around zero at Salzburg airport on Sat too!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/6299671
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@luigi, main thought is it is unlikely to be that much. However, with strong winds and heavy snow to low levels there could be some disruption.

Hoping not too much travel disruption.

Bergfex is calling for 140cm at top of Saalbach, similar at Zell, but I guess that's coming over 5 days, roughly a foot of snow a day, so has time to get bashed and settle down. The wooded terrain in that region isn't that conducive to avalanche risk either.

https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Bergfex written forecast for Salzburgerland on Sat reads thus (thanks to Google Translate):

On Saturday it stays cloudy all day. It's snowing hard. In very low altitudes, the snowfall gradually turns into rain.

Sounds hopeful for a little less travel disruption, as Salzburg Airport is about as low altitude as you can go in the province. I don't mind encountering a few heavy flakes on the way up to resort though! snowHead
ski holidays
@luigi, even heavy snow probably won't disturb the airport that much. I don't about SBG, but Innsbruck airport can clear a runway of snow in 8 minutes, and I assume SBG has similar capabilities.
ski holidays
@clarky999, Yes, 10 minutes for Salzburg.

https://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/business-aviation/operational-services/winter-service/

And the airport webcams give a good view of conditions. Landed in heavy snow a few years ago. No problem.
latest report
PS, for anyone heading to central/eastern Austria and wondering what the base is like for the coming snow to fall on:

31/12 at 800m

and ~1200m

01/01 at ~1300m

snow report
@clarky999, nice.
snow report
@clarky999 Mwahahahahaw?

I want two things over the next few days

1 - more snow

2 - more pictures of the snow
latest report
@nozawaonsen, thanks!

@8611, definitely mwahahahaha yesterday wink

Today was definitely warmer and the snow was getting pretty soggy lower down - but tbh that's not such a bad thing. Will set and bond well when the temps drop in the next few days, covering up any nasty rocks/tree stumps/etc.

Looks like plenty more (and colder!) snow incoming too Very Happy
snow conditions
The latest GFS is printing out 2 - 4 inches liquid over southern Germany and the lowlands of east central Austria over the next 5 days. And a lot of that would be snow. Can anyone remember a significant event like that outside the mountains? Snowfall climatology in the region is difficult to uncover.

I've seen significant blocked flow snow events in valley areas such as Burlington, Vermont and Denver, Colorado, but in the past three years I have rarely witnessed snowfall events >4" in southern Germany below about 600m.

I have seen a few modeled events that didn't materialize and the brunt of the forecasted precipitation is expected in the Friday - Sunday timeframe (which is several days away), so I'm still doubtful of significant snow accumulations outside the mountains and foothills. But there is some support from other models. Either way, it looks incredible for the northern and central ranges of Austria. Colder and drier snow than in recent days too.
snow report
Far end of ECM would bring some hope for the West End.

http://youtube.com/v/p3j2NYZ8FKs

Meanwhile heavy snow, heavy wind and avalanche risk rising to 4 in Salzburgerland.

“Alpine Weather Forecast (ZAMG Salzburg)
Today, Wednesday, visibility is severely impaired by cloud, fog and snowfall. Heavy snowfall is expected to continue, bringing 20-50 cm, most in the region of the Osterhorn range, Northern Alps and western sector of the Hohe Tauern. Markedly less is anticipated in the Nockberge. Stormy NW winds will reach over 100 km/hr. Temperatures will drop: to -12 degrees at 2000m; to -20 degrees at 3000 m.

On Wednesday night, frequent snowfall, but less intense. The NW winds will continue to transport the fresh snow at high altitudes.

Tomorrow, Thursday, mostly good visibility, a bit of sunshine is possible, only brief snow showers. In the afternoon visibility will worsen, snowfall become heavier again. The NW winds will be strong to stormy on the summits, reaching more than 100 km/hr. Temperature at 2000 m: -15 degrees; at 3000 m: -2”
latest report
Is there any hope of snow over the next week in the french alps?
ski holidays
Similar ago report over the border to steiermark, interestingly they publish their reports in the evening now.
http://www.lawine-steiermark.at/lagebericht/avalanche-bulletin
latest report
@nozawaonsen, @clarky999, @cad99uk, cheers for the reassurances! Smile
snow conditions
I work about 5km from Salzburg airport, its snowing heavily, it's also pretty windy. The airport is functioning normally, in fact I don't recall it ever being closed due to weather for any significant period.

The roads are fine, mostly white, but nothing abnormal there.

@luigi, don't fret, you're in for some great conditions but wrap up warm.
ski holidays
@mk28, in short. No. Sunny though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
I work about 5km from Salzburg airport, its snowing heavily, it's also pretty windy. The airport is functioning normally, in fact I don't recall it ever being closed due to weather for any significant period.

The roads are fine, mostly white, but nothing abnormal there.

@luigi, don't fret, you're in for some great conditions but wrap up warm.

Thanks for that! It looks like the deep cold is only there over the next 3 days, turning back milder and rain at low levels on Sat.
snow conditions
For the record a nice ( encouraging) bit of snow across the Berner Oberland this morning. SLF forecast 10 -15cm with 20 - 30cm east of Grimsel pass. Two quick runs on an empty "powder piste" this morning with at least the 10cm beneath the ski!!!
snow report
There is always hope....remember end of Oct,..similar situation in that France looked blocked, but just a week later the southern alps got 4m and french alps 20-40cm of really powdery snow, enough for a very nice slide on the meadows in oct. This time round the ECM providing short term possibilities...00z on the YR site for PdS

Much less showing on GFS for those dates. But with differences across the models at just 120-144hrs, hard to have confidence further out.
GFS has a known bias to the east...so there is a little hope it corrects more towards ECM.

FV3 06z just out, brings snow to west and south as well from 8th Jan onwards...is that a genoa low appearing?

So a lot of noise even in the short term.....and all the mid term signals still in place as we go further into Jan (SSW, MJO, AAM etc). Effectively a 2 fronted attack on our normal weather patterns, SSW from above, and the other from the tropics. AO has already rolled over, and NAO will follow if GFS moves towards other models. So maybe a brief westerly period will break down the high, and allow ridging further west in the atlantic, with northerlies into central europe.
snow report
polo wrote:
...is that a genoa low appearing?

You tease, you...
ski holidays
I can report lots of snow falling in Seefeld. At least a foot since last night. Not as cold as feared either.
snow report
Csb123 wrote:
I can report lots of snow falling in Seefeld. At least a foot since last night. Not as cold as feared either.

Thank you for that! I am heading to Seefeld in 10 days so thats great to hear!

Austria as a whole seems to be doing very nicely
latest report
@EarthWindandWater, depends where you are going and what model you look at.....I see you're heading to Flaine, so not ideally placed for a Genoa low being tucked in north of Mont Blanc. But as above, sometimes the northern french alps do benefit from systems hitting the southern alps. In any case, there are signs of the main northerly flow backing far enough west to benefit france. 100% of ECM ensembles predict a N/NW flow 9th onwards, but only 30% show it far enough west.

ECM has had a recent poor run of verification at day 10, so has FV3. But they were top dogs back in Oct-Nov, so odds must be good for them to return to winning ways. One other point is the ECM has better resolution than GFS higher up in the strat, so now that winds have actually reversed, and are in the model starting data, I think ECM is best placed to pick up any SSW impacts filtering down.
snow conditions
Nicht schlecht.

https://www.wintersport.nl/weersneeuw/sneeuwverwachting
snow report
Between 2 and 4pm another 4 inches had fallen in Seefeld. Most snow I've seen fall in Europe for a few years.
snow report
08/09 January would see snow showers reaching the western end of the Alps on 12z GFS...
snow conditions
Snow has edged into italy today
latest report
Quote:

Here’s a shot from the Saalbach webcams. Still well over a metre of fresh snowfall on its way.

And out next week potentially more snow and cold to come. This would again tend to favour the eastern end of the Alps.

Just to confirm that we're up to our ears in powder here in Saalbach Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy