Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@2waterford, @queenie pretty please, that 00Z GFS ensemble average does look better with lower temps and mostly dry. Some of the ensemble runs go high on temp and precip into Xmas, so I guess there's still a struggle playing out there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Météo France forecasting around 30cm for the Massif de L'Oisans until tomorrow morning above 1800m
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still very warm for the second half of December. Zero iso was at 2700 meters in the Mont Blanc range yesterday but there was a foehn (which created a number of slabs). The last six Christmas' have been very warm according to Meteo France, which would correspond to a series of more or less poor starts to winter.

Today should see some snow down to 1300 meters in the French Alps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting to see where that little area of low pressure is again situated.

We've already had snow flurries this morning, should settle in more early/mid-afternoon onwards according to various models.

Hopefully, we'll score another 20 - 30cm

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergfex has been very inconsistent for Mayrhofen forecasts over the Christmas period. Keeps changing the forecast from dry to dumping snow several times per day. Maybe one of the model experts on here can explain
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Certainly hasn’t felt like April in Austria today. Brrr.

Nor does it make much sense to cherry pick the milder weather in parts of the French Alps and then extrapolate them to make an inaccurate comparison with a mischaracterisation of last season to try to project what this season will turn out to be like from mid December. But there you go...

A beautiful put down, 10/10!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof wrote:
Still very warm for the second half of December. Zero iso was at 2700 meters in the Mont Blanc range yesterday but there was a foehn (which created a number of slabs).

amazing how localised the temps are - there has been snow lying in the village at Les Contamines (1100m) all week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@2waterford, Bergfex forecast from yesterday had Zell am See at plus 5 at resort level today, according to the webcams it's around minus 2 and the cannons are still blowing snow all the way down to resort, I've given up with forecasts haha.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heavy snow above Grenoble down to 1100 meters now, it is wet but at least it is white and not clear. Zero iso is around 1700 meters across the N.A. so fresh snow above 1400m should be good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now snowing in Flumet at 1,000m...
http://m.webcam-hd.com/val-d-arly/front-de-neige

also (with live snowing pop-up vids) at Notre Dame:
http://m.webcam-hd.com/val-d-arly/ndb-mont-rond
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plants starting to turn white (though not settling on the road) in St Gervais at 780m...
https://www.ski-saintgervais.com/en/h6-webcam-meteo

Beat that! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just moved the van down to the lower parking in case snow plough turns up late as the plan is first lifts, but that will depend on how much we get, and what lifts open.

There again we might only score 10 - 15 cm but certainly coming down far better than it was early afternoon.

Further Edit and taps been turned off Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing hard in 3Vs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
notverygoodatskiing wrote:
@2waterford, Bergfex forecast from yesterday had Zell am See at plus 5 at resort level today, according to the webcams it's around minus 2 and the cannons are still blowing snow all the way down to resort, I've given up with forecasts haha.

It's probably a temperature inversion effect, I noticed it was -6C at 9am this morning in Zell at 750m, but +2C at the Schmittenhohe measuring station at 2000m...cold air can hang in the valleys with the milder air passing over the top...long may it last!! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2waterford wrote:
queenie pretty please wrote:
@2waterford, temperatures around average for the time of year and largely dry. Grim???

Thank you. I did say I was looking at Bergfex.

I’m looking at Bergfex, Snow-Forecast, yr.no and Meteo Group and they all have milder temps than recent days and rain forecast for the valley (Saalbach) up until Tuesday.
snow report
All to play for the Christmas week going by the latest GFS parallel FV3 6Z. Cold pushing further west will keep things interesting.
snow report
@devilabit, for which area?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@devilabit, for which area?

Well there is some hope for all the Alps going by this run but obviously colder the further east you are. However its a vast improvement for the Western alps if it verifies, more runs needed.
ski holidays
Rain / snow limit dropped lower than expected yesterday. Meant my rainy trip back from Carrefour in Sallanches ended up being a bit more hairy that anticipated. Glad to have the new proper winter tyres on, as it got very snowy on the road very quickly indeed. Village white in Les Carroz now.
latest report
Mild spell coming up. Brief Christmas cool down still looking likely on 12z GFS. More so in the eastern Alps.

http://youtube.com/v/_c2wrwBptig
latest report
@nozawaonsen, will it be a mild dry or wet spell? From a selfish POV I'm thinking specifically 3 valleys.
snow conditions
The lebanon has picked up some Christmas snow

snow report
@KennyEverett, after tomorrow looks fairly dry and increasingly sunny.

More generally 12z GFS FI very interesting...
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@KennyEverett,

More generally 12z GFS FI very interesting...

Interesting good or interesting bad snowHead snowHead
snow report
@nozawaonsen, oh you tease.
ski holidays
Morris at WePowder gives a good layman's analysis of the weekend's rollercoaster weather and dangles the prospect of a (small) Nordstau for Austria on the eve of Xmas??

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/262186

Bergfex seem to agree, they have 42cm forecast for the Kitzsteinhorn on Monday.

Just hoping there isn't too much rain at lower levels over the weekend! Sad
snow report
Hmmm, so what will the on piste conditions be like below 1800m in the NW Alps after this weekend of rain???
snow conditions
Neillp wrote:
Hmmm, so what will the on piste conditions be like below 1800m in the NW Alps after this weekend of rain???

Unfortunately, not very good. Icy after the refreeze. I reckon most pistes still complete, but some marginal. Not great for the Christmas hordes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All major medium range modeling looks pretty sickening for the next two weeks if you like snow. Very persistent longwave pattern shaping up. I really hope we start seeing cracks in the forecasted pattern.
snow report
Yes northern and eastern areas might get a solid stau around Christmas. But right now that looks like it for a while.
snow report
altaski8 wrote:
Yes northern and eastern areas might get a solid stau around Christmas. But right now that looks like it for a while.

4th Jan looks like a good setup on today's 12Z, but at 14 days out, it's a long way off!!
latest report
Raining Sad Sad
latest report
Yes, raining very hard this evening in the French Alps up to ~2300m.

Floods at 1800-1900m in the 3Vs.

First day of proper winter today...

Global warming is not going away.
snow report
Some great looking charts starting to pop up now in FI as the models try to resolve the strat vortex being ripped apart. Possible vortex split on the para first week of Jan, and signs of a second warming around Jan 6th. The GFS Para 06z and 12z show cold and snow to the alps all week (first week of Jan)....just need to see some other models picking this up, but I expect there will be a lot of change soon to current endless high pressure outlook on ECM and GFS (old).
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Global warming is not going away.

don't, you'll wake the Snowheads climate change denier remainer trolls! Smile

From Meteo France:

Pluie-Neige 2500 m

I have to say, that is sub-optimal for the deepest of mid winter.
latest report
@davidof,
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@davidof, who are they? Or are you just making things up again?
latest report
I have no idea why @davidof, would seek to link climate change denial with people who want to remain in the EU. Seems odd. Still less why you would try to push this idea on a weather forum.

To be honest it’s not a natural alignment, but there you go.

Nor why @davidof, would link to far right racist petitions claiming ignorance about what they were all about.

Puzzling.

But I will be quite clear to say that far right nonsense, racist parties, bullying and abuse, climate change denial and any fellow travellers are people I will have no time for. This is straightforward.

Ski well.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, I'm with you. Yes global warming exists as does all that horrid other stuff, however this is a weather forum and I for one am interested in knowing what's happening with the weather for ski resorts around the world and value your input.
ski holidays
I would have though the climate deniers are the same lunatic fringe who want to leave without a deal...........
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy