Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
This could be interesting for January.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nozawaonsen, never mind January isn't that showing a potentially cold Xmas?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen, a cold stratosphere? Please explain to us mere mortals on the surface of the planet! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, no it’s way up in the stratosphere.

@luigi, it’s the warm part that is interesting as it suggests a sudden stratospheric warming event.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@kitenski, no it’s way up in the stratosphere.

@luigi, it’s the warm part that is interesting as it suggests a sudden stratospheric warming event.

Ah, it should all be blue/purple!! But it will be a balmy 4C 20 miles above Siberia!

So should we be booking an Xmas holiday to Lake Baikal and taking our swimsuits?

Or does a warm stratosphere over Siberia mean something for snow in the Alps?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-12-18 9:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies for my lack of knowledge......but I assume that this could result in a sudden change in the wind direction from West to East and potential weakening of the jet stream? This could in turn lead to very cold weather coming from the east along with the potential for some very good snowfall?

Or have I read that totally wrong?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drew Carey wrote:
Apologies for my lack of knowledge......but I assume that this could result in a sudden change in the wind direction from West to East and potential weakening of the jet stream? This could in turn lead to very cold weather coming from the east along with the potential for some very good snowfall?

Or have I read that totally wrong?

OK, I'll put my swimsuit away! Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been reading about the strat profile coming up and it seems that the projected warming over Siberia is not ideal for NW Europe. This looks like a displaced vortex, rather than a split. So if the down welling results in the trop vortex getting shunted over to Canada / Greenland then NW Europe ends up under mild +NAO.

Whatever happens 25km above (10hpa) takes a few days to a few weeks to have any impact on our weather (5km up at 500hpa). The positive read would be that at least the trop vortex will be weakened, and if any further blocking were to build, it will once again lead to warming higher up, and a second attack on the strat, in its now weaker state, would likely split the vortex and push cold air into mid lattitudes.

The split vortex scenario would lead to a longer cold spell than a brief displacement would.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, aha thanks, was that the similiar event that bought big snow to some areas last season?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mix of rain, sleet and snow over the next week.

Metro France has a yellow avalanche warning today
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Ischgl.

Plenty of sunny weather about at present and likely to be for next few days.

@kitenski, yes, but it depends on what actually happens and whether as @polo, suggests it simply disrupts the polar vortex or splits it more dramatically. It has a lagging impact (hence why I said early January on a chart for 23 December). Worth keeping an eye on though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some subtle upgrades in the near term today, ICON etc have temps now peaking on sunday, with FL dropping during monday snow, from 2000 to 1000m. Pattern repeats 19th/20th.
More models have moved towards the still great looking FV3 run (new GFS / Para), showing the atlantic low getting to the alps 20-24th. Long way out, but it's there now on GFS Op, Control, Para, GEM, and while UKMO has improved, it only goes out to 18th right now.

ECM not quite there, keeping jet stream further north, so alps on milder side, with only 30% of its ensembles supporting above colder route.
So come on ECM, you know how to love me. Surely time for some funk on the thread...

http://youtube.com/v/8xNbVlWvyfM
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowmagedon on Christmas transfer day then?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Wasn't it a similar event that caused the 'Beast' earlier this year?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oleski wrote:
Snowmagedon on Christmas transfer day then?

Currently looks like the worst weather will not hit France until Saturday evening.

Sunday will be 1 day of heavy rain, up to 2500m at times.

Some places, like Chamonix town, could see 2-3 weeks of rain in a day.
snow conditions
LOL - I had to log in to see who that doomsday prediction was from some 2 weeks out

should have guess its was Mr Half Full bordering on empty!!!!!!!!
latest report
Haha 2 week out forecast
snow report
Greetings all ye Snow Loving Wise Weather Hounds,

Look I'm back again, late, nothing booked, other half ready to kill me for my lack of commitment &preparedness... But I'm hoping there's methods to my lateness...

So basically all I need to know again this year is :
-Where is the snow?
-Where is there (likely) gonna be snow??
& anything else I should know???

All knowledge, forecasts and insights greatly appreciated,
Horgand

P.s. Outline plan to head to Alps Dec 27-29 for 7 to 10 days. Likely options, Val D'Isere, Argentiere or St Anton,
Less likely Cervinia/Zermatt, Verbier or Obergurgl...
ski holidays
Finally snowday in Stubai! Monday was closed due to bad weather, yesterday was mostly closed due to avalanche risk.

The cat was out cutting new fresh tracks as the closed runs was under 50cm of snow

snow conditions
This is playing havoc with my ‘where do I go on January 5th?’ conundrum Laughing
snow report
Well it seems this season is shaping up much better than a few years ago (can't remember which year exactly) when many resorts were still green fields around Christmas and there were news stories around about a 'crisis' in the alps showing skiers on sad strips of white.

Is this the same setup as the graphic at the top of this page? (sorry for the mail link Toofy Grin ) https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6488509/El-Nino-brings-Polar-Vortex-send-temperatures-plummeting-UK.html
latest report
The article is as you might expect a bit of a garble. And no it does not directly refer to the chart at the top of this page. The potential cold weather comes from a weakening of the polar vortex rather than a strengthening of it. So the comment about strong winds is a bit misleading, these are in any case up in the stratosphere not at ground level.
latest report
@nozawaonsen i clocked the same article yesterday as well thought it might be related to the chart at the top of here. As with most things in the daily fail, to be taken with a pitch of salt!
ski holidays
I note that today, all La Plagne weather sites (the ones for simpletons like me: meteofrance etc.), the temperature forecast for the coming weekend has fallen rather dramatically, so the rain for Sunday is now snow.
Perfick snowHead
snow report
@Jonpim, yep but will depend on altitude and time of day....GFS has the worst case, heavy rain to 1900m early Sunday morning, but the snowline drops steadily all day and into monday. ECM has a max snowline of 1800m, but interestingly WRF (shorter term model) has a max snowline of only 1400-1500m all day Sunday. So either way there will be plenty of snow above 1800m, and lower resorts should see rain turn to snow Sunday evening and continuing monday.

Further out the situation is now more muddled....ECM has actually got worse (mild), and the other models have pulled back a little on the ideal route. Goes to show once again that without the ECM on board any trends are suspect, and the computers have a hard time resolving these set ups (atlantic low trying to break down or undercut euro/scandi high).
ski holidays
polo wrote:
Surely time for some funk on the thread...

It's always time for The Funk...

http://youtube.com/v/ABLwmYI09Lw
snow conditions
Looks like a Retour Est might be shaping up for the weekend - does keep coming and going, fingers crossed.

snow report
The way the Stratospheric Polar Vortex displacement will work, is that it will initially flood the Atlantic with westerly winds, given the +AAM (Niño) base state. But when the AO and eventually NAO domains get higher Geopotential heights, because of the weakening, approximately just before New Year, it will bring cold to the UK and the Alps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, Can't see it myself. Would be nice though
snow report
Leonard Small, thank you for bringing my two favourite things together skiing, and the funk. Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley always guaranteed to bring a smile to my face Smile

By rights I should be a snowboarder what with always being ON THE ONE Smile
snow report
Current snow conditions today...

Andorra = bad.
Germany = bad.
Italy = bad.

Canada = mixed.
Japan = mixed.

Austria = good.
France = good.
Switzerland = good.
USA = good.
snow report
Raven wrote:
Well it seems this season is shaping up much better than a few years ago (can't remember which year exactly) when many resorts were still green fields around Christmas and there were news stories around about a 'crisis' in the alps showing skiers on sad strips of white.

l

Two years ago.
latest report
@Whitegold, Where is your supporting evidence for this ??
snow report
@Whitegold, The evidence I see for Italy says otherwise.
ski holidays
@bruisedskier, He's probably got it on good authority from Trump.
latest report
Italy looking awful... https://www.instagram.com/p/BrU0mShlpkm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1suc8wz3escza
snow conditions
@element, That's fake news!
ski holidays
@esaw1, #flakenews haha
latest report
Cool
snow report
polo wrote:
Been reading about the strat profile coming up and it seems that the projected warming over Siberia is not ideal for NW Europe. This looks like a displaced vortex, rather than a split. So if the down welling results in the trop vortex getting shunted over to Canada / Greenland then NW Europe ends up under mild +NAO.

Whatever happens 25km above (10hpa) takes a few days to a few weeks to have any impact on our weather (5km up at 500hpa). The positive read would be that at least the trop vortex will be weakened, and if any further blocking were to build, it will once again lead to warming higher up, and a second attack on the strat, in its now weaker state, would likely split the vortex and push cold air into mid lattitudes.

The split vortex scenario would lead to a longer cold spell than a brief displacement would.

What’s your definition of NW Europe? Does it include only the Northwestern Alps? All of the Alps?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy