Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in New England? Jay Peak? Or Elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
boarder2020 wrote:

As I keep saying I'm not against choosing inferior skiing for a better/different overall holiday experience.

You may have "kept saying" that. But that's not what you're doing on this thread. You bang on and on "against choosing inferior skiing", even AFTER the OP had done so (yes, skiing in an inferior mountain) AND INDEED had an excellent "overall holiday experience"!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:
So, with such a list I am already going down it ticking off where I have been and where not. Pretty big bucket list left though, and some big ones still on my list. (I've only done 50% of the top 10!)

The logic of which completely escaped me...

In that thread you are criticising some guy for choosing inferior skiing for something they presumably enjoy. Make your mind up,the hypocrisy is too much!

Also in this thread you have twice accused my of lying when stating facts (travel time to Newark airport flight time to SLC), both of which I've shown your accusations to be wrong. Still waiting for the apology Laughing

I've shown that travel is not much different from NYC to SLC resorts or Colorado resorts. Do I think that the little extra effort is worth it for skiing which is 99% of the time superior compared to Killington? Absolutely. I'm yet to hear all the redeeming factors that make Killington a much better option, so far it appears to just be a nice drive. If you said Killington skiing is not as good but there's also an amazing museum on the way/ a snowmobiling day trip to a beautiful national park there/ we will have some kind of unique experience only available in the area/ we have a particular interest in New England etc. I could get behind you much more. Right now the downsides seem much more than the upsides.

If somebody said to me they could only do one trip this year. They could do a 2 week ski trip to a resort in West or 2 week in Lebanon a country they always wanted to visit and they would get a couple of days skiing at cedars while there I'd probably actually advise them to go to Lebanon. Im actually much more open to interesting experiences than superior skiing, but Killington just doesn't seem that interesting.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The fact I've skied in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, took snowboard gear to Iran, and have made serious inquiries into going out to Bamyan for the ski race should show you my priorities are not focused all on finding the best skiing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Also in this thread you have twice accused my of lying when stating facts (travel time to Newark airport flight time to SLC), both of which I've shown your accusations to be wrong. Still waiting for the apology

Speaking of lying, I accuse you of NOT having actual experience. But if that's your definition of "lying", I gladly accept that "upgrade" Smile And if so, there's nothing to apologize for. You decided to ignore the list of potential delays that may entirely derail the "short flight" from AND to SLC.

Quote:

so far it appears to just be a nice drive.

we will have some kind of unique experience only available in the area/ we have a particular interest in New England etc

That appears to be precisely what the OP enjoyed. And it's unique enough in his eyes.

Quote:

but Killington just doesn't seem that interesting.

To you. But see above.

Above all, the OP had enjoyed it, for his own reason. You were condescending in accusing him as not knowing any better, and therefore mistaken mediocre as excellent. It matters not to him any more. But it speaks a lot about you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Speaking of lying, I accuse you of NOT having actual experience. But if that's your definition of "lying", I gladly accept that "upgrade" And if so, there's nothing to apologize for. You decided to ignore the list of potential delays that may entirely derail the "short flight" from AND to SLC.

Shall I put the rod away now? Laughing

Quote:

You were condescending in accusing him as not knowing any better, and therefore mistaken mediocre as excellent.

It's not condescending, it's a fact. OP can't compare Killington to the resorts out west (and to be fair I don't think they ever tried!). I've met plenty of East coast skiers on their first trips out west saying exactly this, that they thought the resorts were good on the east coast until coming west. If we want to talk about condescending how about your "the logic of which completely escapes me..." remark to the guy who said he was trying to ski all the big resorts? Or are you still trying to ignore that? god forbid someone likes skiing big resorts, I'm sure you know better. (Funny thing is, I actually agree with you about big resorts not equalling best experience, but it is a bit hypocritical of you to have a go on this thread about it all being experience and what someone likes over quality of skiing then post that).

The fact that the drive there is the most interesting thing says something! This isn't the Karakorum highway, or any other classic drive.

If we are looking at things from a purely ski experience I think we can agree that west is superior 99% of the time?

If we are looking at things as a complete holiday experience it becomes more of a balancing act of ski experience Vs other things. It's always going to be personal option somewhat. My opinion is that the advantages of Killington (a slightly shorter journey, and a nice drive), don't outweigh the advantages of the much superior skiing out west. Like I say I'm not opposed to sacrificing ski quality for a better holiday experience, but this seems like sacrificing ski quality for little else.

If you want a great experience I can recommend Kyrgyzstan and Lebanon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If we want to talk about condescending how about your "the logic of which completely escapes me..." remark to the guy who said he was trying to ski all the big resorts? Or are you still trying to ignore that? god forbid someone likes skiing big resorts, I'm sure you know better.

@boarder2020, you're so far up your @rss you see anything black and think it's a kettle!

"the guy":
Bigtipper wrote:

Large European ski areas are not really top of my bucket list anymore. I have been there, and finding my own space is often more appealing.

"the guy" had in the past indicated he's moved on to smaller resorts. I was making comment that he seem to contradict his previous posts.

But YOU know better and think it meant something different, and it was equal to your condescending behavior!

The irony isn't lost that you seem to find that post an opening to launch into another lengthy lecture to"that guy" on the other thread too, Mr KownItAll!

Be my guest and keep on painting yourself into a corner of your own making. rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an American I can't see why anyone would recommend the East Coast!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in the NE for 3 months and founsd that , in general , most of the resorts were great for a couple of days at the most but to go for a week ....no...The cheapest and most interesting way to do it is to use https://neactionsports.com/ who run coach trips with various pick up points from RI and I think MA the cost of the trip was usulaly less than the cost of the lift pass for the day but you have to get up EARLY..of the resorts I did like Lune but Cannon was the most interesting and difficult..but in January it does get COLD and I mean cold ...I thought I was going to get frostbite walking across the car park
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveD wrote:
.of the resorts I did like Lune but Cannon was the most interesting and difficult..

I think you mean Loon Wink. Agree about Loon and Cannon (did you get a chance to visit the interesting ski museum at the base of Cannon?) https://www.cannonmt.com/amenities/new-england-ski-museum
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent two years in the South and only skied one day. Probably both Easties and Westies would think it was not worth it:

https://obergatlinburg.com/winter/

That said, it was absolutely brilliant! By miles the weirdest place that I ever skied. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JamesHJ, looks beautiful in the fall
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
DaveD wrote:
.of the resorts I did like Lune but Cannon was the most interesting and difficult..

I think you mean Loon Wink. Agree about Loon and Cannon (did you get a chance to visit the interesting ski museum at the base of Cannon?) https://www.cannonmt.com/amenities/new-england-ski-museum

Youre right I did mean Loon and yes I did have a look round the museum ...while thawing out lol
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh Christ. What the hell have I started? I thought this thread was done, and I look back in to see another page full of people saying we made a mistake and should have gone West. Although this is me starting it again Happy

As it happened - we had a great time, found the skiing in Killington to be very good (as I said earlier). Would we have had a better time out West? Maybe. Probably. One day I guess we will do it and find out. We may have a great time, but that will not diminish the time we had in Killington or make us regret it. People may disagree - that's fine, everyone is different - and each to their own. Was "the drive" the thing that made the trip? No, it was an interesting addition, and more enjoyable than sitting in a plane for a couple of hours. It was the combination of factors that made it an enjoyable holiday. Together with the enjoying what we have rather than worrying about something we don't have that a stranger on the internet would prefer.

As for the not understanding wanting to tag on a city break at the end of it? What is so difficult to understand? There are comments that we would not be making the most of a long trip by not going "a couple of hours more" to go "somewhere better", but making the most of a long trip to visit a City that is famous and some of us had not been to seems to be strange? Why is that difficult to understand? First trip to Andorra, we spent time in Andorra La Vella and in Barcelona, First trip to Flumserberg we did Zurich, first trip to Bansko, we spent some time in Sofia. It's not unusual.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did a NYC/Killington trip. It was great. First time skiing in US, first visit to the big apple.

Flew to JFK on Virgin rewards with a mate, cab to anther friend’s apartment in TriBeCa and had the next day as a tourist whilst the NY mate was working. In the car that evening and drove up to Killington. Two days skiing Killington, one day Pico. Was it neck deep powder - no, was it pretty firm (bit icy) - yes, still very enjoyable. Pack up, in the car, back to NYC. U.K. mate had to visit his NY office, I ducked visiting ours and after a swim in the pool in the (now departed) WTC tower spent the day walking Manhattan with NY mate’s girlfriend.

What’s not to like? Make acquaintance with one of the world’s great cities, enjoy three days skiing a new area with a couple of mates.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^ Exactly. Mr. Green
snow report
Found a great place for breakfast, OJ, coffee, banana buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup. Day two had to order the “short stack” (kids portion). Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy