Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
To add to @Bergmeister, familiarity with that route, by comparison the LA road is more "vertical " and about one third the distance than the one to VT so you don't get such a severe climb to VT.

You can see the Hamaeu De Kashmir on Google maps, you can print it out to compare with finding it on a sat nav when you're on route if it helps.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pejoli, The family bash last Easter was at the Hameau du Kashmir, so quite a few snowHeads will have used their parking. Maybe ask on the thread for that bash. I would expect that you would just go to the check-in for the HdK first.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pejoli, I'll PM you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello,

this January I will return to Les 3 Vallees for a week and I am intending to spend most of my time there skiing off-piste. I am looking for reasonably priced (and of course good) offpiste guide for intermediate offpister. I will be stationed in Les Menuires so i guess La Masse will be my theathre of ski Smile.

I've already started to study some classical 3 valleys routes from site https://valthorensguide.co.uk/index.html such as:
- https://valthorensguide.co.uk/les-yvoses.html
- https://valthorensguide.co.uk/col-de-la-fenetre.html

Do you have any recommendation for a really good guide with a lot of patience with intermediate offpister?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rumors that Courchevel will open in the next week or so.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.bergfex.com/courchevel/webcams/

Looks a bit thin at the moment wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@matejp, We had fun with Vincent Suchel a few years ago who you can book through Prosneige in Les Menuires. Instructor plus qualified off piste guide and instructor.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How is the snow at Meribel Center in mid March? My family is considering staying there as an alternative to Courchevel 1850 and it's central location. It will be the first time in the 3V.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ptspeak wrote:
How is the snow at Meribel Center in mid March? My family is considering staying there as an alternative to Courchevel 1850 and it's central location. It will be the first time in the 3V.

They'll be good snow cover, potentially a bit slushy - no big deal.

I would have thought Meribel might be a bit cheaper than 1850. Is that why you are considering it? Or is purely location?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
Ptspeak wrote:

They'll be good snow cover, potentially a bit slushy - no big deal.

I would have thought Meribel might be a bit cheaper than 1850. Is that why you are considering it? Or is purely location?

A little of both. My sons are in their 20's and more interested in pub style apres ski than high end chic apres ski, if that makes sense. I have a reasonable place to stay at either. I understand the snow quality is better at 1850. And we have one female non-skier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ptspeak wrote:
A little of both. My sons are in their 20's and more interested in pub style apres ski than high end chic apres ski, if that makes sense. I have a reasonable place to stay at either. I understand the snow quality is better at 1850. And we have one female non-skier.

Go to Meribel. Apres in C1850 is non-existent. Yes, the snow will be better in 1850 (it's 400m higher....) but Meribel has the advantage of easy access anywhere and almost failsafe return journeys. The last lift out of VT will still get you home even if you have to pole a bit. Neither of them have a massive amount for a non skier (although the window shopping in C1850 is definitely more upmarket) but there is a public swimming pool/ice rink/bowling alley in Meribel plus the hotels have spas and although neither are cheap, Meribel is cheaper.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aquamotion in Courchevel would be a plus for C1850 for the non-skier but it's not that far by taxi from Meribel via La Tania (and it's still a bus ride from C1850). Regarding snow, the Saulire Express from Meribel reaches the top of C1850 before the Courchevel lifts do so I wouldn't worry about that - you get first dibs on "their" snow if you have a 3V pass. Assuming your lads would also like to have a beer and listen to some music in the evening, Meribel has music every night - C1850 has nothing (C1650 does but again it's a bus ride).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-11-18 10:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
folie is also on meribel side, at least it's downhill all the way from there Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But the lads don't like the Folie (& high end Après). Who can blame them? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ptspeak, There's a good called Le Rond Point in Meribel. Live bands for apres, young crowd, lovely burgers (prob lunch only), run by Brits. Not at all posh or pretentious. We were in the Alba Hotel over the road last year and frequently frequented.
snow report
Just carry on past the Folie to the Ronnie then snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Start in La Folie, finish in the Ronnie, ski down in the dark... don't hit a tree... (or take the bus if you can't stand up anymore/are terminally dull/have had your skis nicked) wink
latest report
Thanks to everyone. Very helpful info.
latest report
Chalet booked, flights booked, transfers booked. First time we haven't gone with a TO so hope everything goes smoothly! Gone with recommendations from here, so I'm sure everything will be fabulous NehNeh Bring on the blue March skies...
ski holidays
How difficult is it for a timid skier to ski down to Meribel Center? We have one beginner.
ski holidays
Depends where from. The east side is easier than the west, particularly when it's still frozen in the morning. Both sides will have fairly heavy slush in the afternoon in March. If they're in the Altiport area (most likely for beginners) they can download from the Rhodos mid station to avoid it. If you go to the Ronnie (Rond Point) for apres, the bus stop is right outside so they can avoid it that way too. Mid station of the Saulire Express is also designed for getting pedestrians back from using the Folie Douce for apres. On the west side, download on Tougnete one. If you're trying to follow this on the piste map, bear in mind north is down, not up!
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Depends where from. The east side is easier than the west, particularly when it's still frozen in the morning. Both sides will have fairly heavy slush in the afternoon in March. If they're in the Altiport area (most likely for beginners) they can download from the Rhodos mid station to avoid it. If you go to the Ronnie (Rond Point) for apres, the bus stop is right outside so they can avoid it that way too. Mid station of the Saulire Express is also designed for getting pedestrians back from using the Folie Douce for apres. On the west side, download on Tougnete one. If you're trying to follow this on the piste map, bear in mind north is down, not up!

Thanks!
snow report
@stephen buck, Hello. Staying in the Alba in January, is it ok ? Any tips? Thanks
snow report
Yes, pretty perfect, really Good hotel, good food, good location on the piste, ski hire downstairs, lively apres just over the road, stroll down the road to shops / restaurants - can't really fault it. Enjoy!
ski holidays
@peter w, stopped at the Alba with Esprit a number of years ago, so can't talk about current quality but a great position, you can literally ski to the door and it's just across the roundabout "The Rond Point" to get to the pistes and the Ronnie is a great place to unwind
snow report
@peter w, yes, good hotel, great location. Which operator runs it these days? Used to be Total/Esprit.
snow report
We went there with Ski Toal last yr at Xmas. Think it reverted to Esprit the week after our stay.
ski holidays
Alba location is great. We were there last year, but I think from this season they have dropped the kids element so it's just a straight hotel now. Basically you can book if there are no kids in your group where previously you couldn't. Food was ok. We had a few in our group get ill, although this was most likely because the place was full of toddlers... They were pretty hot at removing whatever wine was left on the table after dessert, rather than just leaving the bottle there as usually happens.

It's all about the location really - best spot we've been in. Right next to the Ronnie and you are straight onto the slopes in the morning. The rental shop in the basement is good, and very convenient. Pizza place next door is also a good spot for the off nights. I think they are building a hotel right next to the roundabout, but I haven't seen any pics of that yet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are off to Val Thorens on Sunday, for a week. No sign of any snowmaking activity on the webcams.

Hiking kit at the ready... Sad
snow conditions
Val T put back opening date.....

"Despite a desire to start the winter season on November 17th, the particularly anticyclonic weather does not allow us to open the resort and its ski area. The motivated teams of Val Thorens took the decision to focus on the Grand Premiere on November the 24th and 25th.

Currently the snow cover at 2700m is satisfactory but does not allow a return to the resort on skis. All the teams are ready to prepare you the ski area as soon as the conditions are good.

Packages and accommodation previously purchased for November the 17th can be refunded or postponed to the weekend of November 24th. We invite customers to contact directly their host or Val Thorens Reservation.

If you have any questions, we remain available:
- By private message on this page if you have any questions about your stay in Val Thorens for 17-18 November.
- In the comments below if you have a general question."

From the VT Facebook feed.
latest report
@Bergmeister, Its roasting out here at the moment so I wouldn't get your hopes up..!
ski holidays
offpisteskiing,

Hopes dashed in view of jonathancarty's comment. Sad

We didn't expect epic conditions - but hadn't anticipated VT not opening at all in the week.

Now looking into changing our flights and car hire...
latest report
Snow Canons running in Courchevel right now.
snow report
@ansta1, yep was up on the sunny side yesterday and the Stade, Biollay, Verdons, Saulire & possibly Creux path all looked to be getting a first coat...
latest report
...and bizarrely, given a dry forecast there are currently little flakes falling... nothing to get excited about but it is a better sign than the t-shirt weather last week!

ski holidays
lol at first dibs on 'their' snow 😀
snow report
Not very promising for VT opening this week. At least it's colder. This pic of Courchevel snowmaking via @coolskijobs on Twitter

snow conditions
Note from Val Thorens Instagram page:

"Val Thorens will be opening on the 24th November for the Grande Premiere event. Despite the anticyclonic situation over the past few months, every team in the resort has done their uttermost to offer an opening as large as possible".

"Taking into consideration the low levels of snowfall during the early season, the resort is planning to open 30% of the ski area (forecasted to increase over the coming days if weather permits). Only downhill skiing will be possible".

"At the moment 10 snow groomers are actively working to compact the snow and prepare the snow cover to allow for skiing back to the centre of the resort at 2300m".
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
Not very promising for VT opening this week. At least it's colder.

The snow cannons are blasting in VT, and they are starting to make some real progress. Even without help from mother nature, I think they'll still be opening on the 24th with little problem. However, it looks like they'll get a few cm's of snow at resort level tomorrow, and potentially 10-15cm of snow on Friday night.
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend a good ski/boot hire shop in Les MENUIRES/Reberty? We’re staying in Reberty, and this place is almost next door...

https://www.skimium.co.uk/store/skimium-reberty-2000-417

...so it’s very convenient. Just wondered if there might be better options available.

We’ll be there at Easter, so I suppose most rental kit will have had a bit if a battering! Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy