Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
@polo99, the only blue routes to VT are now Pluviometre or Mont de la Chambre (cutting off left onto Traversee du Montaulever). I have always thought the latter slightly easier, but not sure I have done both in the same week / same snow conditions, so perhaps not a true comparison.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowrider, sorry I missed your message. Yes we went up mont de la chamber chair then Down. Thanks for the info on the black runs too Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, one of the longstanding Menuires seasonaires used to have an apartment in the Armoise building. The location is just above the shops in Bruyeres but has the advantage that from the building you have a short slide down to either Bruyeres gondola for VT or Meribel valley or straight to the Masse 1.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @polo99, @andy1234 and @gorilla for the info.

Opted to book up in Reberty rather than chance one of the lower satellites. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiied into meribel centre to get the rhodos up and at the bottom (at 11.00) is like skiing on wet sand. It's a lot colder today too and light is not very good. Had 2 glorious days. Skiied down courchevel to the plan trey lift. Near the chenus gondola it's like wet sand very slushy and I got my skiis caught a few times in the slush. Up top the snow is much better. It was OK near the altiport. What I've found having skiid in 3 valleys for the second time is that it really isn't very cruisey. A lot of the blues in my opinion should be red. This is obviously only my opinion. If you are coming out and are a competent skiier you will have a blast. I am just struggling because if my nervousness
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@polo99, it will definitely be easier and more fun the next time. Every piste you've done this april will prepare you for the next one.
On the SH resort reviews' forum you may find many posts concerning recommended resorts for beginners.
Are you taking any ski lessons?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo99 wrote:
@stevew, thank you. Is the pluviometre easier than mont de la chamber? Also can you get there any other way? {on blues)

A lot easier I would say and also no visible lifts so feels right out of the way
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"What I've found having skiid in 3 valleys for the second time is that it really isn't very cruisey." Puzzled

Our second ever ski holiday (and dozens since) in the 3V's convinced us that it is the capital of ski cruising Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thinking of doing a last minute late on to Val Thorens on the 20/04/19. I know we can ski 3 valleys Sunday/Monday and then only VT the rest of the week. Do you think the snow will be ok by then? I’ve skied for years so happy to go high up and do runs that are difficult. Any ideas on the snow conditions then please guys? Simon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After a few sunny days in VT, the clouds descended yesterday late afternoon and I think are here to stay for the next couple of days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@simonsaysowot, General received wisdom on the forum is that Val T isn't worth going to after the second week of April as there is rarely enough snow, good luck though, there may be some.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@T Bar, given there’s around 150 snowheads (including you!) going to VT the week of 20-27th April, I assume you’re joking. Might not be obvious to a new poster though!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@T Bar
No I am a newbie. Was hoping you weren’t serious as didn’t want to waste a lot of money if it’s rubbish.. (see wet sand comment which didn’t sound good) Given that there’s 3 metres there I hoped there might be some left by then. So should be worth booking then!?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, I have actually just LOL!!
VT, one of the highest and historically one of the most snow sure resorts in Europe.....
You were joking, right??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@simonsaysowot, take a look in the snowEvents forum, specifically SFaB and EoSB threads, then get on with planning your trip to VT safe in the knowledge that @T Bar has his tongue firmly in cheek. Laughing
If you are planning really last minute, no doubt some of us will post from VT next week.
snow conditions
@simonsaysowot, Book it and look out for 140 or so skiers with some sort of Snowhead stickers, buffs,T shirts etc.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
@simonsaysowot, in VT now and so much snow!!!!!
ski holidays
Sat having second coffee above Mottaret. Has anyone got decent vis at the moment?
ski holidays
Thanks guys. Was a little worried that the snow quality wouldn’t be good if it’s like wet sand in places now in previous comments. But if all you guys are going I guess it must be ok. Never been to VT or this late in season before that’s all.
latest report
Been around VT. Barely make out the chairlift in front. Those that know where they are going or slightly crazy seem to be coping. The rest of us are finding it tough going. The ski schools seem to have set up on Gentaine as the best place to manage the kids. Shame as the snow felt good.
ski holidays
@simonsaysowot,
Yup I wasn't being totally serious, I am off on the 20th as well.
I have skied this late before though not in VT.
On a serious note, there will be plenty of snow to ski on, what the surface and quality will be like is as yet unknown, it will depend on prevailing weather at the time, but you would be very unlucky not to find something worthwhile.
latest report
@gorilla, we are in mottaret and we're gonna head over to VT but don't think we will bother unless the fog lifts. Been watching the VT webcams which look the same as what I'm looking at now. @simonsaysowot, the snow and conditions were much much better in VT when we went the other day. Didn't notice wet sand type skiing even at village level compared to meribel village, courchevel mottaret home runs so don't worry. VT was fine, more hard packed than slush. There were plenty of runs in VT with nice snow to ski on.
@linkem, not even bothering taking my pj's off at the minute lol. I hope tomorrow is clearer.
Also, can't tag you but it was interesting you quoted my comment about cruisey blues but not the comments about it being MY OPINION in the next 2 sentences. We are all at different levels, different amounts of confidence, different physical abilities I am well aware that what I consider in my own head to be a cruisey blue may not be that of yours.
I have never been skiing this late in the season so have nothing to compare with conditions. Also the snow conditions are definitely much better in val thorens than the rest of the valleys. We decided yesterday we wouldn't bother skiing the courchevel side again this week. It's too much hard work in the conditions to ski back to base. The green run from tougnette 1 (perdix) was absolutely awful back to motarette.

Again this is my opinion based on my level of ability, confidence and fitness levels. Others of better ability may absolutely love this type of challenge
snow report
The slush is not especially easy. It rained last night and the cloud seems to have prevented it freezing overnight. Otherwise conditions have been very good. Will give it another go this afternoon.
ski holidays
Would you say this was a fair representation of what val thorens is currently like? Fog has started to lift in mottaret but not going out if its like that further up as we intended coming across to val thorens
https://www.valthorens.com/en/webcam/livecam-les-2-lacs
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
The slush is not especially easy. It rained last night and the cloud seems to have prevented it freezing overnight. Otherwise conditions have been very good. Will give it another go this afternoon.

Yum - soggy mank. Ski on it and it turns to concrete. Let it freeze and it's coral reef. Good luck! I'm actually holding out for a move in the long term forecast that will take precip away from VT unless it can do the proper job of dumping then moving out.
ski holidays
Absolute whiteout in VT from about 12. Prior to that it was manageable esp up towards top over to Orelle. At about 12 it just absolutely closed in and you can see maybe 20-30m at best. We are in Village Montana and I can’t ecen see the magic carpet 30m away ! Unskiable really, I’m quite used to it but I gave up at 12:30 and had a long lunch. My 6 year old couldn’t have cared less Very Happy she was still cruising around. It’s the hills, sometimes you get weather.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I suspect the off piste is basically Be Nice please!. Raining at the moment at 1600 in Meribel. Probably snow above 1900m or thereabouts. I doubt things are going to improve that much but the pistes will ski fine when the sun comes out.

Mini gorilla 2 pinned it down the Altiport green and then fell over his edgy wedgy. Not sure how many gnar points he gets for that but the comparative lack of tears immediately afterwards bodes well (he's three).

I will be snowploughing green runs in Courchevel tomorrow so if anyone spots someone in a red jacket, blue trousers and green boots, it's probably me.
ski holidays
I’ve just been out for an emergency (we ran out of wine). Had a quick pint in the Shamrock , well, why not. Snowing in VT albeit a bit more like snow dots but forecast looks more hopeful for a brighter day tomorrow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@orange, fingers crossed for a brighter day tomorrow. Glad we made the decision not to ski today. Its in between rain and snow in mottaret
snow report
The offpiste was pretty good earlier actually, while still cold there was about 10cm sitting on top of the crust from Sunday overnight. All skiable though and some nice deeper sections. You just couldn’t see anything so was Braille skiing all the way
snow report
Has any snow fallen today or is it just flurries and cloudy fog?
latest report
No snow of note today as yet, no. It’s snowing now in VT but not hugely heavy and less than a cm sitting on the deck.
ski holidays
It's pouring with rain here in mottaret and fog is still lying low that I can't see the top of combes from the balcony anymore, actually it's been like that since about 2, that was as far as the fog lifted. Then raining for quite a while
latest report
@polo99, I think (based on what you've typed in here) that you'd actually have been better off based in Courchevel. It's north facing and has some very nice wide cruisey and high pistes! Our kids learnt to ski in Courchevel 1800 over a few Easters (we were based in La Tania but the company drove them to 1800 for lessons)
ski holidays
What’s the state of play at Les Menuires?
ski holidays
Opened the curtains and can barely see the church across the street in VT.
snow conditions
@linkem, yikes! Really was hoping for better visibility than yesterday. Guess I better get out of bed and look myself!
latest report
Piste badger just went past my window. I heard it , couldn’t see it
latest report
One more sleep! Thank goodness I insisted on upgrading all our goggles. Very Happy
snow conditions
I hope you upgraded them to night vision as that’s about all that will work in this.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy