Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
Ptspeak wrote:
Thank you. I think we are leaning heavily towards Val D for the entire week.

Enjoy your divorce Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Raceplate wrote:
Ptspeak wrote:
Thank you. I think we are leaning heavily towards Val D for the entire week.

Enjoy your divorce Toofy Grin

Ha ha. We survived Jackson Hole and St Anton last year, I suppose we will make it as long as I hire an instructor. We barely survived my attempts to teach her.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Delighted to see all this up and running! Interesting about Le Praz. Hoping to head before Xmas if there snow is as good as last year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see if you buy a season pass for Tignes & Val d'Isere before the end of October you get 25% off making it €1012.50.

Which compares rather favourably with the 3 Valleys pass at €1310. Anybody know of any early bird discounts for 3V?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First part of whats new in 3vs:

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2019-the-definitive-guide-part-1-of-2/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Little Martin,

Excellent. Thanks very much.

Thats a lot of development work across the 3V's. And only 6 weeks until we go to Val Thorens to kick off our season! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Little Martin, thanks for posting, always a great read. Does anyone know what the 'VT Amazing Ride' is? It seems to run parallel with the Moraine and Genepi runs in Val Thorens.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Little Martin - I saw that post as well, +1 for sharing, so in depth, great research by Latania.co.uk guys
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for the great link. It always amazes me how the independent www.latania.co.uk folks have more up-to-date maps and info then the official sites!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Talking of which, Toffa, who is a contact for the www.latania.co.uk site, advised that there are no early bird discounts for 3V passes, other than the minimal savings for buying more than one. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It always annoys us that the 3Vs (unlike Tignes) offer sweet "Football Association" discount to owners. Tignes owners can get 50% off a season pass... rolling eyes

Discount and early bird mean nothing in the 3 Valleys. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting that the Creux Noirs area will not be accessible by lift for Winter 2019.....so that's going to be some pretty decent OP in that area with a short skin/boot hike???
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
Interesting that the Creux Noirs area will not be accessible by lift for Winter 2019.....so that's going to be some pretty decent OP in that area with a short skin/boot hike???

You can pretty much traverse straight into it from the top of Creux so I don't think it will last long. I saw plenty of people going that way after they shut the lift last season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Little Martin, great article, but i can't seem to see the photos, am I the only one?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raceplate, in fairness it takes more than a traverse to get over the top and into the Creux Noirs bowl proper (or the ridge to the other lines further along... Could be good over there this winter - a short walk always thins out the numbers!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, thanks for the confirmation, didn't think it was that easy!
snow report
@kitenski, thought you were referring to the unused "pistes" rather than the bowl. But yes, probably only around 150m up from where you could traverse to to get over the top.
snow report
Part 2 out:

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2019-the-definitive-guide-part-2-of-2
snow report
Just noted the sad news of the demise of Jacks Bar our choice apres ski spot ... where will we go?
snow conditions
Hi, going to la Tania on the 17th March next year and looking to book private lessons for my partner and daughter, any suggestions would be much appreciated
latest report
Scroll up. Same question was asked on the previous page.
ski holidays
And if the skiing wasn’t enough VT now gets the penultimate stage of the TDF 2019!
snow report
@Ptspeak, Quite easy to ski several resorts if you have a car. One of our trips last season we drove out for 2 weeks (from Scotland). Stayed a few days in Brides at Cybele which you can usually book for less than a week out of school holidays. There is a bus along to the lift as difficult to park there. Then we had an apartment in Bourg and skied Les Arcs direct from there using the funicular, also a few days in La Plagne and some in Tignes. Can't remember exactly how many days in each but by booking 2 or 3 consecutive days it was cheaper than single days. Yes it cost more than 2 weeks in 1 place but we skied 4 large French resorts when there was great snow. Self catering keeps the cost down but we did eat out some nights.
latest report
I’m also wondering what the Amazing ride is on the piste map. Can’t find anything about it.
snow conditions
Is the Amazing Ride maybe referring to the new zip wire?

For the 2018 season a new zip wire ride has arrived. Val Thorens already holds the highest Zip Wire record, so this time they have gone for length of the ride.
Starting from the top of the “Moutiers”, you and your friend – yes that’s right two people can ride this one at the same time – can zip down 1.6km right back to the resort’s Place Caron area. If you don’t ski don’t worry as the ride is available for both skiers and pedestrians.
snow report
I've read that the new zipwire will cost a mere €35pp rolling eyes

The current one costs "only" €50...

It's a pity these things are so pricy. Sad

Still, on the bright side, Val T had a dusting of snow last night and there's heavy snow forecast over the next few days. Fingers crossed, as we will be there in 3 weeks to kick off our season! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
Just noted the sad news of the demise of Jacks Bar our choice apres ski spot ... where will we go?

Jacks closing definitely sucks, Barometer was remodelled and is now a very expensive bar with restaurant. The old Cactus on the roundabout is a bit of a student / gap year hangout. The Tav is about the best option but never gets a good apres vibe imo... Hoping that something will replace Jacks, defo dont need any hire shop..
latest report
No the amazing ride is definitely different to the zip wire.

The zip wire starts at the top of Moutiere lift and the amazing ride is at the top of Moraine lift (See piste map)

https://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/maps/2019/2019-ValThorens.pdf

Hopefully someone will investigate when the season starts and upload a video to youtube or something! I'm too nosy to wait until I visit in March 2019!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, it has been over 25 years since my last visit to 3V, but we’re on the way back next year (sadly, not until Easter, though).

I’m hoping for a few pointers from those of you familiar with the area, if you could spare a few minutes.

We will be a group of 4 families, staying in a catered chalet in Reberty. Kids will be 7-11 years, and have skied 3-5 times before. Any suggestions for ski schools/instructors, good ski hire shops, and places for lunch, family apres and the odd meal out. Also, recommendations for places to ski for middle-aged intermediates?

Thanks.
snow report
I think the Amazing Ride is a boarder cross like piste.....
ski holidays
@Otherworld,
We have hired from La Sapinière Sport before - skis were very good. Gf actually got a brand new set - but the guy serving us was a miserable sod.
So great skis - rubbish service.
latest report
Hi all,

Just after some advice. We are hiring a mini-van kinda thing for our transfer from Lyon to La Tania (as there are 6 of us plus luggage).

We will obviously be getting chains for the journey but in peoples experience, is it worth forking out the extra for winter tyres? We won't be using the van to travel around so it won't be going any higher than 1400m. It's just up and down the hill on our transfer days.

I assume the road up to La Tania gets cleared quite quickly in the event of heavy snow with it being a main route? Any regulars care to share any experiences?

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
@Fridge03, yes.

La Tania may be on a main road, but there is quite a steep pull up out of Le Praz which can be a 'stopper' - can remember one morning early last winter where there was a line of at least 15 stuck cars & vans...

Sod's law will have it that if you get the works you will see nothing but black roads, but given that snow tyres give better grip below about 6C anyway it is a no-brainer in my book, and if you do happen to hit a snowy transfer day you will be very happy!

FWIW I put my winter wheels on last weekend, even though i don;t expect to see any snow on the roads for another few weeks...
snow report
Just chains will be fine.

La Tania is low and rarely gets heavy snowfall.
snow report
Whilst the main roads to La Tania get cleared the side roads don't, had a mini bus with snow tyres not make the last few 100metres to the chalet in April due to heavy snow!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Whilst the main roads to La Tania get cleared the side roads don't, had a mini bus with snow tyres not make the last few 100metres to the chalet in April due to heavy snow!
This was kinda the point I was going to make. It depends not just on the time of the season (there is a big difference in risk between mid-March and mid-January for instance) but also where you are staying. If you're in the central apartment blocks then the car parks are just off the main road and fairly easy but the chalets area higher up gets relatively little snow clearing and can be difficult.
ski holidays
Otherworld wrote:
Well, it has been over 25 years since my last visit to 3V, but we’re on the way back next year (sadly, not until Easter, though).

I’m hoping for a few pointers from those of you familiar with the area, if you could spare a few minutes.

We will be a group of 4 families, staying in a catered chalet in Reberty. Kids will be 7-11 years, and have skied 3-5 times before. Any suggestions for ski schools/instructors, good ski hire shops, and places for lunch, family apres and the odd meal out. Also, recommendations for places to ski for middle-aged intermediates?

Thanks.

I think you'll get a much better response to this if you post it as a new thread.

Putting that aside, Reberty is nice but also a sun trap. Easter is late next year so there will be a lot of slush about. I would suggest getting out as early as possible. Val Thorens is very easily accessible from the Bruyeres lift right below you so if it is warm that's the place to go. The easiest intermediate skiing in VT is off the Moraine lift which is most easily accessed off the Cascades chairlift (turn right off the top and stay hard left until you hit the green path).

In LM you have La Masse below you to the right. La Masse often has the very best snow in the whole of the 3V's when conditions are otherwise poor. Downside is that the blue off the top is a glorified path. You really need to be able to ski the reds to appreciate it so it depends on your ability. Whatever, even if you have to download on La Masse 1 because it's grass underneath, doing circuits round La Masse 2 will be worth it. The self-service at the top is also better quality than most, reasonably priced and they're nice people. A bit of French will help!

On your doorstep you have one of the best price/quality restaurants in the whole of the 3V's and I can think of no better place to get slowly drunk in the spring sunshine with your family - La Ferme de Reberty. It's also a lovely restaurant for an evening meal. There's also a take-away pizza hut next door which would be good for a cheap lunch but I'm not sure if it'll still be open that late in April. The other ever-popular place on your doorstep is the Hotel L'Ours Blanc. Personally I much prefer the Ferme but not everyone does.

Start a new post and I'm sure you'll get some more good advice. Enjoy the 3V's!
latest report
Agree with kitenski, not unusual for the side roads around the Chalet Quarter to be difficult without chains or snow tyres for several days after snowfall.

The advantage of having snow tyres is that you might not need to put your chains on, depends how much you value that!!
latest report
Hi, looking at VT for March next year, we’ll fly into GVA and hire a car, as there are four of us. I’m looking at the Hameau du Kashmir - does anyone know if the hotel parking is easy to find, as I’d be arriving quite late (I had a bit of a shocker a few years ago getting to Les Arcs at midnight and being unable to find the garage place we were staying in).

Also what is the drive up like - again, familiar with the LA road if that’d be a useful comparison point - my wife is never keen on that in the dark, but my hazy recollection is the VT one isn’t as bad?
snow report
Pejoli,

The HdK is the first building on your right as you arrive in Val Thorens- so would be difficult to miss, even in a blizzard!

I'm not sure whether the place has its own car park or not - but, if it doesn't, there are 2 public car parks more or less next door to it (one covered and one open air).

Once you leave the motorway at Moutiers, the drive is up a 37km, winding, mountain road. We have driven it (what feels like) a hundred times and have never had a problem - managing it on most occasions without any difficulties. We've only had to fit snowchains once and have managed it a few times in full snow cover with winter tyres (& no chains). Also, we've rarely seen the lower half of the road snow covered and more often than not have encountered no snow on the road below Les Menuires. Maybe we have been really lucky over the years... Puzzled

The drive from the motorway to Val T usually takes 40 minutes when the roads are snow free and traffic is "normal." (ie not at peak season on a changeover day).

I've not driven to Les Arcs, so can't compare the 2 roads, unfortunately.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy