Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
what a fantastic day, clear skys and no wind, headed with some of the people in the chalet to La Masse - great lunch the Ferme in Reberty and then on to VT. In general snow was very good apart from the usual suspects of runs. Christine was particularly good, really liked the new link from Plein Sud back to Stade chair runs which cuts out the VT ring road. Skiied back to La Tania on sunny sie of Meribel, happy chappy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few flocons started around 1pm in the Meribel valley, and it’s been snowing lightly and gently since around 2pm. Looking out of the window it’s coming down more heavily now (but way off blizzard conditions!). Fingers crossed it keeps on going.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some decent off piste powder in Les Menuires today under the Mont Chambre lift , also some around Masse but frustratingly patchy , you get 10 seconds of it and then it gets crusty . Snowing now at a nice rate
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some decent off piste powder in Les Menuires today under the Mont Chambre lift , also some around Masse but frustratingly patchy , you get 10 seconds of it and then it gets crusty . Snowing now at a nice rate
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Long range forecast for end of next week on the not-very-accurate J2Ski weather forecast is predicting a proper dumping over consecutive days from Weds 30th to Tues 5th ....Is anyone with a proper weather model able to verify this?

I'm off next Thursday, so hoping for some fresh snow..

https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/France/Saint_Martin_de_Belleville_snow.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A bit of a late posting now as the weather is evolving again, but last week was pretty damn fine in & around Courchevel - a bit wind affected in places but plenty of soft cold fluffiness to be going on with... hopefully the current unsettled forecast will add some more fresh on top of that!

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did a trip to Courchevel and back today from Val T. The light and visibility was better than forecast, though the snow was very varied.

Best runs were Campagnol, off Mont Vallon (great snow and only 2 others on the run), Creux (good snow and relatively quiet) and Ariondaz/Marquis (great snow and totally deserted). Though we had a great day, we encountered some awful conditions - with sheet ice in a few places (eg Folyeres to La Tania, several places around Courchevel and the descent to Chaudanne in Meribel, which was like an ice rink).

It snowed quite a bit from 1.30pm and conditions were much improved by we got back to Les Menuires and Val Thorens. T

Still snowing now, so tomorrow should be good - if we can see (though we will ski only until 11am, as we have to head back to Geneva at 1pm).

It's been a great 2.5 weeks, with some of the best powder we've ever skied! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 2-5cm which was the ultimate forcast for overnight appears to have been an underestimate. Our picnictableometer here in St M is reading a good 10cm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic day in the mountains. New snow not many queues and until around 2:30 sun and no wind. Kicked off around la Tania first thing and around 9:30 Got over the ridge into perfect snow and sun. Headed to Mont Vallon at lunchtime had s couple of good runs but very chopped after the new snow. Played on Les Menuires side until poor light headed us back to LT
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was quite deep in Val T today...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heading out to 3 Valleys on Saturday (La Tania). We can't wait. Looks like we've potentially timed it quite well. Saturday looking clear for the journey but then a decent dump of snow coming in Sunday and Monday?

Also, we are driving up from Lyon. Need to buy some chains. Generally how expensive are they to buy? I can rent them for 50 euros from Europcar which would save some hassle but if there is a good place on the way to stop and buy some cheaper than that's a no brainer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ll be there with my family from Saturday. Staying in 1650 but if you are looking for someone to have a blast about now and then I’ll be skiing solo sometimes. Especially if it’s snowing and bad weather! Very Happy @Fridge03,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another fantastic day. Blue sky's good snow on piste with a few icey patches but some wonderful runs. Best was probably Becca absolute hoon, did it twice. Great lunch at Coberley (sp) at tip of St Martin gondola. Overall a very satisfying week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:
Also, we are driving up from Lyon. Need to buy some chains. Generally how expensive are they to buy? I can rent them for 50 euros from Europcar which would save some hassle but if there is a good place on the way to stop and buy some cheaper than that's a no brainer.

Similar cost. I've heard people saying they've bought some and then if not used taken them back. I guess there is nothing to stop people doing that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow looks promising -any update? TIA!
ski holidays
Light snow outside the window and grey skies. Think I'll give my knee a rest and test out the new mattress topper snowHead
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
Light snow outside the window and grey skies. Think I'll give my knee a rest and test out the new mattress topper snowHead
. Have you tried the new restaurant Bulotte in 1650? Delicious vegi burger with beetroot and haloomi. It's between the Bubble bar and the table de Marie, which has had a refit.

The new gondola and improved access from 1650 is a big improvement.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 27-01-19 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just got back from an awesome week in Courchevel, despite the terribly sad start with the 2 people who died in the fire.

On piste conditions where great all week, i'm sure the fresh snow now will only just top up on what was already good. The only place that i found to be less than great was on the Merible side heading from Courchevel, bit scratchy but still ok.

On Thursday i got some tuition/coaching and had my first ever off-piste experience

This was off the back of 1650, absolutely lovely. Its safe to say i've got the bug for this, one of the best days skiing i've ever had.

We used New Generation Ski school all week both for my niece and wifes private lessons and for my own above. I can't recommend New generation highly enough they were fantastic from start to finish.

On the total opposite end of that scale, 3 of the 4 groups in my hotel that were using ESF had very poor experience. Including 1 absolute beginner being left on the mountain.
snow report
First day on the Pistes today.

Just stayed the the La Tania/Courchevel area due to the winds up top. Links were open but were warned they could shut and didn’t fancy an expensive taxi back.

Weather was....interesting. Very light snow form about 8AM with decentish visabilty. Breezy up top but not too bad temperature wise.
Lunchtime the sun came out and it was lovely. Snow and clouds came in about 2 and visablity was poor. We came in about 4 straight into the hot tub.

Pistes were mostly in good nick. Especially higher up. Some ice patches lower down, especially on the red to La Praz which wasn’t pleasant.

It’s now been snowing heavily since about at 5 at 1400m so the pistes should be lovely in the morning.

A good first day skiing. We had a two hour private lesson with Sweet Snowsports. Andy was great and we felt we improved just in the two hours with him. Got another one booked for Tuesday.
snow conditions
@Russeh, Looks fabulous! Very envious... Glad you've got the bug - nothing better!
ski holidays
Russeh,

Not a bad intro to off piste! Very Happy

Glad to hear you've got the bug - but leave some fresh tracks for us! wink

Though it did sound terible in Merible... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Loved it, could have just gone home after Thursday, still on a high now.

Trouble is i now need a lot more new kit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Great first day in Meribel today. Everything looked picture perfect with the new snow in the trees. Shame my body would only let me ski until 2 pm Sad
latest report
Lovely day with the other half as we put down second and third tracks from Meribel Altiport to Brides Les Bains. OMG that was hard work at times.
ski holidays
Great day on the slopes.

Not too cold or wind. Changeable conditions but had some sun. Decent vis.

The powder overnight meant the first runs were awesome this morning but ended up stuck in the Valley as higher up was closed to midday in some places. Could hear blasting until about 11am.

Naturally that meant the runs and lifts were busy until people could get up and over. But never queued more than 5 mins even at the busiest times. And that was only a couple of times.

Looking forward to tomorrow!
snow report
What a day. Words fail me. It was perfect.
snow conditions
Sounds amazing at the moment -many thanjs for the updates!
ski holidays
Flying out tomorrow for 4 days in La Tania - forecast looking snowy, I hope we at least get to see some sun and the slopes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:

It really was great.

I managed to make first lifts so had the first few runs nearly to myself. Went down Raffort by accident while trying to get back to Meribel in the morning but it was actually a brilliant run and absolutely deserted.
ski holidays
Raven wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

It really was great.

I managed to make first lifts so had the first few runs nearly to myself. Went down Raffort by accident while trying to get back to Meribel in the morning but it was actually a brilliant run and absolutely deserted.

We went down to Jean Blanc and Deviation below 1850 this afternoon and they were deserted and still in pristine condition. In fact both still had plenty of corduroy on them at 3pm.

We started the day off by heading up to Mont Vallon which was beautiful in the sun.
snow report
Picnictableometer at 8am today at 1400m in the Belleville Valley, and still snowing!

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Picnictableometer at 8am today at 1400m in the Belleville Valley, and still snowing!

Madeye-Smiley

Superb. I'm driving down there on Friday. Looks like the snow is in excellent shape. Very Happy
latest report
More snow overnight. From what’s on top of the hot tub in the garden, at least another 15-20cm and it’s still going at 1400m.

Heard some blasting going on up top already this morning. Will be a while before links open up I imagine.
snow report
Perty,

That looks a bit better than Blighty! wink

Hope you enjoy it! Very Happy
snow report
First lift against today! Vis was pretty dire first thing as I and few others fumbled along the ridge towards the top of Jerusalem (later on I could see why, as there were snowdrifts blown up onto the piste). I abandoned my plan to make first tracks down Jerusalem because of the light and poled on to the top of Choucas. Fair to say, my descent was far from elegant. However, once down at the treeline on Meribel side, much fun to be had in the on piste powder (about 6-8 inches) especially down to Le Raffort .

At the morning wore on the snow was warming up and getting heavier. After skiing down to La Tania (a good foot of chopped up powder on the red run) then Le Praz via Jockeys, I headed to Meribel Village via the Clos Bernard. It was my first visit to the Clos Bernard-heard a lot about it and wanted to investigate. It was a pleasant potter through the trees to get there, and another pleasant ski out, even with the uphill bits.
I know I was only there for a mid morning hot choc, but I must admit I was underwhelmed. Firstly, those who were merely in for a morning drink were confined to sitting at the bar, and one table -total space for about a dozen-if you could find a seat. One chap serving behind the bar with all the bonhomie of a wet fish. A fortifying hot choc with rum was a startling €11. (Going rate elsehwere seems to be €7-7.50). A bit of a cheek when there was virtually nowhere to sit down, and absolutely no sense of welcome. It didn’t exactly exude the cosy mountain hideaway vibe one might expect when paying a tenner for a hot drink. I was left with the impression that they don’t really want to bother with the mid morning punters.

Once back on the road, and heading up on the new Cheferie lift just after 12 noon, I caught sight of the Olympic chair moving and headed over there to investigate. The God of Snow must have been watching over me. The liftie took off the closed sign from the barrier as I skied up to it, and up we went.
After two amazing laps (the first was awesome, a foot of snow, and only one skier in front), I went back up and headed down Verdet. There was a bit more poling on the flat bits, but I had the slope to myself in brilliant sunshine. See the pics attached (not very good at uploading them into the right part of the page)
What a morning...anything after lunch was never going to top it, and I bailed out at 3pm.

latest report
Perty wrote:
What a morning...anything after lunch was never going to top it, and I bailed out at 3pm.

You did WHAT Shocked Shocked ??
ski holidays
That's like [sexiest women/man on earth] making love to you and then refusing to sleep with [sexiest women/man on earth] because you can't top that!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 30-01-19 17:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Layne, Very Happy might have something to do with my legs giving out on me! Skiing on my own today without Mr P and so I’ve been miles. Plus, being a sensible sort, off piste adventures beyond the obvious were off the menu, especially as I was skiing with a wrist brace in after a suspected fracture earlier this week (thankfully, it seems more like a serious sprain, but I’m not very good at getting up if I have to push against that side...and I’m really quite good at falling over in deep heavy snow... Madeye-Smiley)
snow report
@Perty, I'm just jealous because I'm stuck in the office and no more skiing until April.
ski holidays
It has been really rather good this week!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy