Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
Most everything opening up tomorrow.

Possible to ski down to ~1300m.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An amazing sight in Courcheval today
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[bMike S[/b],

amazing indeed!

I wonder what it was like in CourchevEl? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blue morning, cloudy afternoon today.

Snow tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another cold, sunny morning with cloud building up in the afternoon. Still good skiing to be had on the upper runs but icier lower down. Most of the 3V links are now open. Mt Blanc has a cloud cap, which usually indicates that it is going to snow.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still good up top.

Miserable today below ~2000m.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad light today, lots of cloud.

Softened by 20cm of powda.

Tomorrow will be a bluey Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Onpiste getting icy.

Offpiste still fairly good in Meribel and Courchevel.

Moderate snow tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not too shabby out behind Courchevel and Meribel today:

Still quite a bit more snow needed to get lift-served off piste properly up and running (without too much chance of meeting a rock...).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mild up the hill today, but currently chucking it down with snow in Bozel. Blue skies forecast for tomorrow so could be a good day!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Anyone know if the new zip wire in Val Thorens is up and running yet? Seen lots of coverage about it being launched this season, but no sight of it actually working yet.

From the VT Facebook page:

"Today we tested THE new activity of Val Thorens: the BEE! Imagine a double zip line in 3 sections with an arrival in the centre of Val Thorens!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48397399_10157044232942764_184736447595544576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=7cae2d25c42355a77e35a7d56e701d4b&oe=5CA227F7
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers @jonathancarty, I saw that on facebook too. Looks like a lot of fun, might give that a go at Easter. Like that fact that it’s a double zip wire!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow this afternoon.

First lift tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Belated report for Val Thorens yesterday.

In the words of Kate Bush... "Wow. Wow. Wow.Wow. Wow. Wow. Unbelievable!"

What a day! Sun and unlimited powder fresh tracks. We spent the day lapping the Grand Fond gondola and were still enjoying fresh tracks at 4pm.

One of our best ever ski days!

Would like to post some piccies from my phone but not sure how... Puzzled

Today started off with flat light so we headed to Les Menuires, with the intention of digging the car out (as a head start for our Saturday departure and to avoid a mega dig, as there was a lot more snow forecast this afternoon/tonight). I didn't even notice the shovel (aka the apartment dustpan wink ) strapped to my rucksack.

However, much to our surprise, the car was clear of snow. Never mind - that left more time for skiing! Les Menuires seemed to have the only pocket of sunshine in the valley, so we made the most of that- enjoying top to bottom runs off the Sunny and Becca chairs on empty pistes of packed powder. Just fantastic. Fast skiing and the place to ourselves! Very Happy

The weather closed in at about 3, so we headed back to Val T.

Its snowed heavily again since then and the forecast is for sun again tomorrow. Happy campers R us! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds amazing, @Bergmeister.

Looks like another sunny one today - have fun all!!
ski holidays

Admin testing the new season’s snow. He believes it to be entirely acceptable which is nice as it seems totally amazing to me
ski holidays

First tracks in this one for us. Nice nice nice.
snow report
Wasn't too shabby over the other side of the 3V either:

ski holidays
Looks great, nice pics
latest report
Raining hard now.

Floods at 1800-1900m.

Looks like high temps, sun and melt next week.

Bring some crampons snowHead
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Raining hard now.

Floods at 1800-1900m.

Yup - but higher up somewhere it’ll be snowing. You don’t always need to be the doom bringer.

Appreciate the updates though, a little positive spin might be good now and then, even for you!
snow conditions
Whitgold doesn't do positive, his/her glass is persistently half empty............
snow report
My son had just returned from an 'epic'
snow report
trip to VT - now signed up for odd jobs around the house and garden to finance next one
snow conditions
sparkzter wrote:

Yup - but higher up somewhere it’ll be snowing. You don’t always need to be the doom bringer.

In fairness the off piste has been completely mullered below about 2600/2700m... 'Higher up somewhere it'll be snowing' is a bit like airline pilots saying there is always blue sky, you just have to fly high enough... Not much use if your aeroplane only flies up to cloud level...

7º at bottom of Dou des Lanches at 2pm today - not normal for late December on the 'dark side'.
Pistes nice in a kind of spring snow way. Didn't see anything worth looking at off-piste-wise in Courch.
ski holidays
sparkzter wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Raining hard now.

Floods at 1800-1900m.

Appreciate the updates though, a little positive spin might be good now and then, even for you!

Bro, it rained bad.

Possibly the worst rain event the western Alps has seen at high altitude in deep winter in recent decades.

There is still some powski up at the very summit of Pointe de La Masse in Les Menuires.

But you really have to go to the quietest edge and the highest peaks of the 3Vs to find it at the moment.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Possibly the worst rain event the western Alps has seen at high altitude in deep winter in recent decades.

I would disagree with that though - last winter for instance we had plenty of serious rain episodes to 2200/2300 ( in fact right about this time of year was one as I can remember skiing the Courch couloirs with clients in late Dec or very early Jan and the snow was fine until the height that the Gd Couloir hits the piste then utterly grim below that) and for seriously bad rain events you only have to go back a few years (2015-ish or thereabouts) and there were a couple of days of torrential rain to 2800/2900, with cat 5 days and pretty much 99% of lifts closed...!

Anyway, the piste skiing is pretty good - would be nice to see a big cold front rolling in though!!
ski holidays
It was pretty hard and icy, first thing, in Mottaret but the runs off Mt Vallon were very nice. The biggest problem was the light, which was very flat. The visibility improved during the day and all the pistes softened. It is still ridiculously warm and several degrees above freezing at 1800 m, so I am not sure whether there will be a re-freeze on the lower runs tonight

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been surprised at the number of lift breakdowns in the 3Vs the past couple weeks.

Pretty much every lift has been stopping for minutes on end.

Even accounting for early-season wobbles, it's been bad.

One old bubble above Les Manures yesterday felt like it was going to come off the wire.

Lift system in 3Vs seems to be creaking.
snow conditions
Compromise day today. Go up high and get terrific snow but not be able to see anything or stay low on heavy snow but see a few yards further. Looking forward to the sun making an appearance
snow report
Booked to go to La Tania on the 19th January with Ski Beat at Chalet Jennifer, hoping that Moretta will be open by then as it seems to be quite close to it Very Happy

Shame the Telemark has shut as it means going all the way into the village to get a drink.
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Booked to go to La Tania on the 19th January with Ski Beat at Chalet Jennifer, hoping that Moretta will be open by then as it seems to be quite close to it Very Happy
I'm sure it will be for the mornings but for going home it's easier than that. Ski down the drag lift (AFTER it's shut, of course!) and pull off to the right after the first bridge. You can also cut through from Folyeres (follow the track by the stream just above the slow signs at the end of Folyeres) which meets the road on the bend just above Chalet 38 on this map. https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/MAP/ResortMaps2018/2018LTPLAN.jpg Your chalet's about 150m from there.
snow report
A glorious Christmas Day in Les 3Vs, although rather firm under foot.

latest report
@Raceplate, thanks for that, useful to know. I presume the exit from Folyeres is slightly higher than for the one for the Telemark, which I think was around chalet 27?
ski holidays
@stevew, good question and one which I can't answer 100% - it's a memory test since I was a punter up there - but I think there's only one exit from Folyeres and the path splits high and low soon after you enter it. So the right hand (high) path by the stream takes you to the road bend and the left hand path takes you to the middle part of the road near the Telemark. Not the end of the world either way though, it's only about 75m from the Telemark to the road bend if you end up walking.
snow conditions
It's all good fun diving off into the forest skiers left and seeing where you turn up ;l altitude on a watch helps!
ski holidays
@Raceplate, thanks. @kitenski, it's always looked a quite dense wood and I normally launch myself down Folyeres and don't really look for those opportunities
snow conditions
Skied a large proportion of Courchevel today and the snow was largely very good with one or 2 patches of hard pack/ice. Even the run back to La Tania was better than yesterday despite not getting any sun, ever.
snow report
First afternoon in Courchevel yesterday. Rock hard almost everywhere and the couple of times I dodged off the side it was unskiable. Assume the rain was very heavy and must have rained almost all the way up - the snowpack looks very badly affected everywhere, and no more snow forecast Crying or Very sad .
ski holidays
We are heading back to Val T on 6 January for 18 days skiing.

Sounds like dodgy conditions now, after a great start to the season Sad

Fingers crossed for more snow!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy