Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quitting our jobs for a season in Bourg St Maurice

Poster: A snowHead
Girlfriend holding the camera
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gear_Junkie wrote:
I want to get a gopro so i can do video analysis. Haha is that lame?
Not lame, very useful. But the GoPro is not a great camera for doing video analysis. Ideally you need something with a zoom lens, perhaps a cheap or secondhand traditional camcorder with a decent zoom (10x or more).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Despite having an apartment in Arc1950, I've stayed a week down in Bourg. It was actually very nice having the transition between the 'resort' feel and the 'normal town' feel. Like commuting out of London at the end of a day - the difference is palpable.
The 7 minute funicular ride is B-all. As you say, far better than the Northern Line!
It does make it far less of a 'holiday' feel - you are now a serous ski-bum, who chooses the bliss of being able to ski all day, yet living a 'normal' life. Oddly I found that the apres lifestyle was less appealing - I had 'stuff to do', and just as you wouldn't do serious bar-hopping every night of the week at home, neither is it a necessary adjunct to life in the mountains when it's not the annual 1 or 2 week blast.

Bourg is a normal, bog-standard, provincial town. There is stuff to do, but it isn't a city. The GF will need to like outdoor activities though, it will become a bit stifling if the idea of sliding or other snow pursuits becomes a turn-off. There's markets, and cinema, and various fetes, plus a reasonable range of shops, but it ain't no bright city lights or Westfield.
JP (as above) is great - but he ain't cheap (he won't mind me saying that - he does tend to get booked up fairly early throughout the season!).

BSM is super convenient for a host of other resorts should you get bored with Paradiski - but to go much further than Rosiere / Val'D /Tignes / St Foy on public transport would probably be a PITA, and a car useful. Those mentioned however are all accessible without the car. And the train is always there to go further afield for non skiing days out.

Fair play to you both, and jealous in the extreme.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gear_Junkie wrote:
Does anyone know how to post pictures?

Load to imgur and then just use the img tags with the URL provided in imgur and it will display in line. Just make sure you use https and .jpg - I can't remember which but one of those wasn't in the link imgur provides and caused a problem. Once you've done it once you'll know and it's a free and easy way.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gear_Junkie wrote:
On my first season I stopped getting better after 6-7 weeks without tuition. I would say I continued to get more confident though so skied harder terain.

While my gf is learning i am planning on doing drills so that i don't get really bored. I want to get a gopro so i can do video analysis. Haha is that lame? Then i will supplement with lessons.

It's difficult/impossible to maintain a steady and consistent improvement. Personally I would agree on skiing with people better than you. Watching a few recommended youtube videos and recognising good skiers to emulate on the slopes can keep the mind ticking over. At the same time you have to remember you are out to have a good time and not training for the olympics. As you I've identified gradually taking on stiffer challenges over time is part of the process. For me, skiing off piste at every opportunity was also part of the deal. As others have said best way to see your technique is someone else filming on hand held - either a good quality smartphone or camcorder would do.

Gear_Junkie wrote:
The budget is always going to be tight as we want to travel after the season. But if we need to we can flex it a bit. Ultimately i would rather cook food than eat out and have to work/miss powder days.

The only time we eat out is on the journey to/from the resort. It's about the skiing. I appreciate not everyone see's it that way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have a smartphone with a semi-decent camera it's probably sufficient for filming. I don't really think it's *that* useful unless you have someone that really knows their stuff analysing it and providing feedback. However, there's no harm in trying.

Quote:

The only time we eat out is on the journey to/from the resort. It's about the skiing. I appreciate not everyone see's it that way.

I'm the same - although I imagine it's an unpopular opinion.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When we spent seasons in our apartment we rarely ate out - cooking nice meals at home, with a bottle of plonk, was one of the best ways of passing the time. However, we rarely ate out at home in the UK, either, so that was no hardship. But that is a very tight budget. We did have some hot chocolates or vin chaud on the slopes - that was part of the pleasure of the day for us. Shopping in BSM shouldn't be much different from shopping at home - so if that's the kind of money you live off in the UK, it shouldn't be a big problem.

Ski lessons, especially for the GF, could be the make or break of this venture - and they won't be cheap.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
> When we spent seasons in our apartment we rarely ate out

Yeahbut, in BsM you have McDonalds.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure that would have made much difference!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boarder2020 wrote:
If you have a smartphone with a semi-decent camera it's probably sufficient for filming. I don't really think it's *that* useful unless you have someone that really knows their stuff analysing it and providing feedback. However, there's no harm in trying.

Agree, I wouldn't spend heaps of time doing this. But it's good just to see a few clips. Someone can tell you something but seeing is believing Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all your replies. I am enjoying getting everyone's insights.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For ease I will just type out our budget. Its not that sophisticated anyway.

Accomodation/bills 4500-5500
Flights/transfers 400-500
Living costs/food 2500-3000
Lift passes 1600-2000
Insurance 250-500
Gear/hire 2000-3000
Lessons/trips 250-500

Total 11,500-15,000

How does that sound? Unrealistic? We have already sorted accomodation. So are happy that will come in budget.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 19-06-18 18:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
*pedant alert*: That's 11,500 to 15,000 not 11,500 to 14,500.

BTW are those €'s or £'s? Does make a difference even these days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duplicated post for some reason

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 19-06-18 18:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Move half of the gear hire budget to lesssons. 250-500 for a week I would say, not total
snow report
@midgetbiker, its in GBP. Thank you for pointing out the error. I hadn't added added on the 500 for lessons since updating.
ski holidays
Gear_Junkie wrote:
For ease I will just type out our budget. Its not that sophisticated anyway.

Accomodation/bills 4500-5500
Flights/transfers 400-500
Living costs/food 2500-3000
Lift passes 1600-2000
Insurance 250-500
Gear/hire 2000-3000
Lessons/trips 250-500

Total 11,500-15,000

How does that sound? Unrealistic? We have already sorted accomodation. So are happy that will come in budget.

are you getting gold plated skis?
latest report
@Gear_Junkie, still some skis going cheap in the sales. You can probably pick up a couple of pairs for less than £1000, a lot less. Use them, abuse them and then bin them if they’re dead. Or flog them on the local buy/sell group at the end of the season.
snow report
@davidof, haha no my skis were really cheap. The budget is for all gear for 2 people. Jackets, helmets, bags, base layers, goggles, boots. Does it sound more reasonable then?
ski holidays
@Gear_Junkie, If you are buying quality branded kit.
You could buy pretty decent unbranded kit for well under a thousand.
latest report
@Gear_Junkie, protest.eu sales section or any other for deals on jackets etc. Decathlon for baselayers/midlayers, goggles and helmets.
snow report
Can get Volkl Yumi new with bindings on Sport Bittl for under 300euro which might (or might not) suit your partner. Also check MM direct, they sometimes have good Helly Hansen outerwear for really cheap.
snow report
And sportpursuit.com for quality kit at bargain prices. Your gear budget does sound high - I'd also be looking to move some if it to lessons, and then increase the lessons again.
snow conditions
@Gear_Junkie, I'm not sure I agree that the gear budget is an underestimate - if I've understood correctly, that's for the both of you, not per person, and you are starting with nothing. I can easily see skis, boots, poles, helmet, googles, gloves, buff, 3x baselayer, 3x socks, ski pants, jacket, mid-layer, tranciever, shovel, probe, rucksack coming to 1000-1500 per person. Decathlon in France has good value gear. There's one in Albertville.

I'd definitely take the car. You don't have to drive it if the weather is rubbish but it's definitely useful to have. Means you can take more stuff out with you too.
latest report
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the look of the yumi for my OH. But i think she is very hard to get skis for. She is 6ft tall 80kg and very strong. Does crossfit and weightlifting but has never skied on snow. I feel like the right pair would be quite long so really hard to learn on. I don't know lol i am by no means an expert with this stuff. I just like gear!
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
Decathlon in France has good value gear. There's one in Albertville.

You do like your luxury. What's wrong with Lidl or Aldi for new and the fayres and trocs for second hand?
snow conditions
For both of you lessons would be a priority, not the gear and especially off piste for your first season. Progresing fast, safety and showing arround with a good instructor is best to to grow and maximise your enjoyment, safety and skills. Even with safety gear, it is not having it but knowing how to use it matters.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 19-06-18 21:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@davidof, another reason to take the car wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gear_Junkie, for your girlfriend, ski shops will often offer a season rental deal for seasonnaires at a competitive price (i.e. including skis boots and poles). It will be a few seasons old gear, but does have the advantage that she can change her gear across the season as she improves.
latest report
@Gämsbock, I think rental seems like a good idea. At least for the first few weeks.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:
Decathlon in France has good value gear. There's one in Albertville.

You do like your luxury. What's wrong with Lidl or Aldi for new and the fayres and trocs for second hand?

There's a Decathlon in Aime, only just down the road from Bourg. Agree with spending on lessons, and decent boots. Does Nevada still have a branch in Bourg? My boot bag from 12 years ago says it does wink
ski holidays
What were your first seasons/trips like? Where did you go? What jobs did you have? Did you have lessons etc?

Did you all go back for a second?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Gear_Junkie wrote:
I want to get a gopro so i can do video analysis. Haha is that lame?
Not lame, very useful. But the GoPro is not a great camera for doing video analysis. Ideally you need something with a zoom lens, perhaps a cheap or secondhand traditional camcorder with a decent zoom (10x or more).

Agree a GoPro is not the tool for this. The lens is so wide, unless you are right next the person it’s too far away to see anything useful of the person.
latest report
Quote:

Guys in bars wearing avalanche airbags/ice screws/axes

I want to do that. Do you think it will be acceptable in the three horse shoes?

@Gear_Junkie, I watched this thread with some interest and certainly reccomend doing it.

Where are you planning to stay in Bourg - it is actually quite a large place to walk around in ski boots so even though the trip up the funicular may become a bit of a chore the trip to the funicular may become an even bigger one. Taking the car is probably a good idea, but check the insurance situation for many companies have restrictions on the length of time your can be out of the UK (4 months is a long time). The 1.0l front wheel drive car is the classic ski bum (or climbers) car. It is the type of car the locals have.
latest report
In terms of clothing you could probably outfit yourselves currently with something like Dare2B gear on eBay (new) for around £100 each. Try Portstewart Clothing company for one. Aldi/Lidl/Decaf for helmets etc and/or extra merino. Boots don't skimp and probably buy local from someone recommended who will also tweak as you go on. Skis - pick something up on here (probably for less than a cost of new bindings) then recycle the bindings onto whatever you trade up to as a longer term ski.

Overall budget doesn't strike me as crazy - 100 Euro a week for 2 for home cooked food and booze should be achievable. It's the 5 dob choccy chauds and 6 dob pints that will eat up the budget more. Depending on your attitude you will either cut the stuff out or decide life's too short and extend the budget to accomodate. It'll probably help if you are of a similar mind on that - not a lot of point in saving 50c on the value pasta brand in the supermarket shop if you or your partner decides you need a fancy cake from the patisserie as a reward for being so parsimonious.
snow report
@Gear_Junkie, in answer to your questions,

Quote:
What were your first seasons/trips like?

My first (and so far only) season was the 2012/13 season at the age of 31. It was a good snow season and it's only after the run of poor seasons we'e had recently that I realise how lucky we were with it. Shame I couldn't ski powder then though! It hard work. We had quite a lot of freedom to arrange the work as we wished, so for me that meant baking cakes at 7am and ironing sheets at 11pm to minimise the amount of work I had to do whilst the lifts were open. Life changing in some ways - I'd lived out of the UK off and on before but had been enjoying back in London for a couple of years before doing the season. However, although we did initially go back after the season, I never settled back in the UK, and a couple of years later we moved to Switzerland.

Quote:
Where did you go?

Montchavin (also in paradiski).

Quote:
What jobs did you have?

I went with my boyfriend and we ran a chalet together for a small independent chalet company. We had a good time and liked the company we worked for, but it felt like an awful lot of work for the money. We have discussed hypothetically if we would do it again, and have come to the conclusion that we'd probably not work if we did it again, or not running a chalet at least.

Quote:
Did you have lessons etc?

Yes, some. Budget didn't allow for as many as I would have liked and I struggled to find things at the right level and that would fit in with chalet hours - it ended up being privates and that was expensive. None of the ski schools would do us a discount on lessons, as we were with a small company who didn't have a tie-up deal with them. In hindsight I felt that I cemented a lot of bad habits during the season and was slightly frustrated at the end of it that I hadn't improved more, despite skiing as much as I could and taking as many lessons as I felt I could justify (at the time). TBH I've spent most of the last 5 years since doing the season trying to correct that, though I do also appreciate now that the sheer time on snow I got then has helped in the long run. However, we did get significant discounts on safety gear - the guy that ran the local shop we had a hire deal with for our guests said something along the lines of he preferred to sell safety gear at cost to seasonnaires rather than dig their bodies out of the snow. I guess he was speaking from experience.

Quote:
Did you all go back for a second?

Not so far. The lur of a job that paid more than pocket money was fairly strong come the March.

EDIT: We were really glad we took the car wink
latest report
To be fair barring the odd breakdancing performance and/or self severing of femoral artery neither of you are terrible skiers these days so it was probably a reasonable foundation.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Little Angel I'm a bit on the fence these days as to whether I'd actually do anything differently.
latest report
If looking for a part time job as a top up why not try for transfer reps job. It will be one long day and a half day to make sure everybody gets their passes ski rental lost cases etc sorted.

Sometimes the transfer rep might drive a minibus but this is unusual.

see https://www.bestskijobs.co.uk/ski-resort-rep.php
latest report
TQA wrote:
If looking for a part time job as a top up why not try for transfer reps job. It will be one long day and a half day to make sure everybody gets their passes ski rental lost cases etc sorted.

Sometimes the transfer rep might drive a minibus but this is unusual.

see https://www.bestskijobs.co.uk/ski-resort-rep.php

Because on the days it goes wrong it's the worst job in the world? Dealing with a bus load of tired, hungry, emotional customers in snowmaggedon with the prospect of sleeping on a cold sports hall floor rather than your nice warm bed while get paid buttons and having no power to resolve anything?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy