Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

7 Reasons Why Alpe d'Huez Should Be Your Next Ski Destination

Poster: A snowHead
7 Reasons Why Alpe d’Huez Should Be Your Next Ski Destination

If you haven’t been to Alpe d’Huez (ADH) before then there is an awful lot to read and digest in order to fully appreciate why ADH is a MUST-GO ski resort. Winner of the ‘Best Ski Resort in Europe 2017’ Award but it could easily win it most years and there are plenty of reasons to back this up.

Ever heard of Tomorrowland? One of the worlds largest music festivals, it started in 2005 and has the very best and famous Electronic Dance musicians such as David Guetta, Avicci and the Swedish House Mafia to name a few. In 2019 though, Tomorrowland has made the decision to be hosted for the first time by a Ski Resort and where did it choose? Yes you guessed it, Alpe d’Huez. For a week next winter the town, the bar, the piste and the off poste will be rocking to the sounds of Electronic Dance.

The Sarenne Glacier: Starting from the Pic Blanc at 3330m, a sea of ice flows down towards the Sarenne Gorge. You want a snowsure resort! Well ADH is exactly that. The Marie hasn’t rested on his laurels though and in 2016 the Marie’s Office commissioned the addition of snow-cannons to the lowest part of the gorge, meaning that the entire 17km Sarenne Glacier run is snow covered once the season gets underway. Graded as Black it’s the longest black run in Europe, but in reality its only the top section that’s black, most of the run down is a mixture of red, blue and green.

The famous 21 Hairpins: Of Tour de France fame, these 21 switchback turns that emanate from Bourg ‘d’Oisans (in the distant valley floor) to the resort itself have written themselves in to cycling folklore.

Variety: For most a ski resort is all about the skiing or boarding, yet the oh-so thorough market research carried out by the ski industry points to an amazing fact. Over 98% of all ski holiday groups have members of their party that either don’t ski / board or will have at least a day off the slopes during their stay. So a resort with a veritable smorgasbord of ‘other activities’ is a ‘must go resort’ AND Alpe d’Huez has this in droves. An outdoor (its heated) and indoor pool, an ice rink, husky dog sleds, skidoos, fat biking, XC Skiing, paragliding, indoor climbing, a state of the art fitness studio / gym, ice rally car track, winter luge and a myriad of bars & restaurants ensure the après is everything to everyone.

The weather: Its no accident that the tourist information strap line for ADH is ‘the island of the sun’ because of its reputation for being the sunniest ski resort in Europe, boasting over 300 days of sunshine per annum. But fear not, this doesn’t distract from the wicked volumes of snow ADH also gets. This really is a case of ‘best of both worlds’.

Apres: So whether you are wanting a lively bar such as the Folie Douce – the iconic après bar only features in a select few ski resorts or a classic British owned & run bar offering a great atmosphere, live music and pub grub (Smithy’s run by Dave Smith or The Underground run by Gareth & Adam), then ADH is truly a ‘must visit’ ski resort.

Getting there is easy too: The self drive option is always simple given the user friendly nature of French peages, but flying is an equally good option too. Flights in to Grenoble Airport are plentiful and leaves only a short 80 minute transfer to resort centre, with a multitude of airport transfer options.

With 30 000 beds the accommodation is plentiful with lots of options for self catering, hotel or chalet style. Have a look for yourself, visit ADH and its beautiful breath taking Grand Domaine system.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-06-18 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck with that, a few of those would put me right off.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
timferg237 wrote:
meaning that the entire 17km Sarenne Glacier run

17km? it was 10km the last few times I skied it according to my GPS.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
timferg237 wrote:
... You only have to ask the Team at Mountain Chalet, a super 14 bed catered chalet sitting on the edge of ADH with an outdoor hot tub and balcony sitting literally on top of this incredible road. With a view to die for, Mountain Chalet gets inundated with requests to stay and its all because of these amazing virages – the French for ‘hairpin’....

Are you advertising your own chalet here (or one you have a connection with)? If so then Evil or Very Mad for non-disclosure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Change the names and it could be lots of other resorts in the French alps.

IMHO the distinquishing thing about Lape d Huez is that it has perhaps the bes beginners areas, which oddly is not one of the 7 points above.

PS do snowheads charge for advertisements?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ecureuil wrote:
timferg237 wrote:
... You only have to ask the Team at Mountain Chalet, a super 14 bed catered chalet sitting on the edge of ADH with an outdoor hot tub and balcony sitting literally on top of this incredible road. With a view to die for, Mountain Chalet gets inundated with requests to stay and its all because of these amazing virages – the French for ‘hairpin’....

Are you advertising your own chalet here (or one you have a connection with)? If so then Evil or Very Mad for non-disclosure.

@ecureuil, it would seem so..... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3180747&highlight=#3180747

Looks like Mountain Chalet have a plentiful supply of a certain pork product.... Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes - this is spam of the pinkest order!

Not sure whether to remove the thread altogether or just allow him to be ripped to shreds?

I'll leave it here for a moment Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Reason Zero: their marketing department won't pay for advertising but will pay people to spam forums?

I only went once, it was a brown place with white strips for skiing on. The tour operator bussed us to all of the other local resorts where the snow was significantly better. Once was quite enough.

Electronic dance? Give me strength.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Says in the linked post that he's never made a commercial post before!

Well with a post count of two and the fact that both posts are pretty much pushing the catered chalet and also where it is would say he needs flaming. Imo of course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are eight reasons you should visit Les Arcs, especially if you stay in the St Bernard apartment. That's one better than AdH.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dear All
Firstly ENORMOUS APOLOGIES - I posted it and take full responsibility and am therefore not looking for excuses. It was my fault. So AS YOU CAN SEE, I have edited the post with as immediate effect as I was able to. Nothing "to do with me is on this article", its a blog post that someone wrote about ADH and I simply copied and pasted it. Big error as i can see from your comments, hence its now had the bit that you didn't like DELETED. I assume everything else within the article is OK though?!?
Sorry once again.
Tim
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
There are eight reasons you should visit Les Arcs, especially if you stay in the St Bernard apartment. That's one better than AdH.

Can you get lessons with the world famous Inside out ski school in either resort .
And are there Nine reasons to do so?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing @T Bar,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Over 98% of all ski holiday groups have members of their party that either don’t ski / board or will have at least a day off the slopes during their stay.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gämsbock wrote:
Quote:

Over 98% of all ski holiday groups have members of their party that either don’t ski / board or will have at least a day off the slopes during their stay.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Given the awful weather conditions when we were last there, I'm not surprised...
latest report
It's pretty good if you know what's what but for the target mkt south facing means runs turn to mush and stuff like the tunnel and Sarenne are over trafficked nightmares.

The 7 points though are fairly crap so if that's the best you can come up with I suggest giving up: no 4 the road makes you carsick...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-06-18 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
PS Avicii has run down the curtain/ squawked his last
snow report
I was meant to be going next year until my trip was cancelled but looking through the you tube snow reports last season the snow and runs looked pretty good to me. Maybe it was an exceptional year as in lots of other places. I agree it was somewhere I hadn't really considered until we got offered a deal that was pretty decent. My only fear was that despite the top height there is quite a bit below main village level, but i thought the overall area looked decent.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 4-06-18 6:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've been to ADH four times. It was OK. Its main downfall is that the main bowl is mostly south-facing and suffers badly in warm sunshine.

Good for beginners though, which I was at the time.
ski holidays
Went once. Thought it was pretty crap, worst catered chalet I’ve ever experienced didn’t help either. Have no plans to go back.
snow conditions
timferg237 wrote:
Dear All
Firstly ENORMOUS APOLOGIES - I posted it and take full responsibility and am therefore not looking for excuses. It was my fault. So AS YOU CAN SEE, I have edited the post with as immediate effect as I was able to. Nothing "to do with me is on this article", its a blog post that someone wrote about ADH and I simply copied and pasted it. Big error as i can see from your comments, hence its now had the bit that you didn't like DELETED. I assume everything else within the article is OK though?!?
Sorry once again.
Tim

@timferg237 When you are in a hole, stop digging - as from the above I'm still not sure you get it! Having found what I guess to be the website for the chalet you mentioned (which I deliberately won't include here), it includes a quote "Sara and Tim Ferguson’s oasis in the Grandes Rousses Massif resort of Alpe d’Huez is a beautiful and traditional chalet ...". And a "Tim Ferguson" is mentioned on many booking sites in connection to it. So it seems likely that it is your chalet but you still don't want to admit it. Also seems likely that the "blog post" you "simply copied" was written by someone with a connection to you.

The point is that many of us don't mind a little unobtrusive ski-related advertising from fellow snowHeads (although admin may disagree!), particularly if they are also contributing to the forum in other ways. We all want to find suitable reliable ski accommodation. But be upfront and honest about it!
snow conditions
Quote:

The famous 21 Hairpins

Not a selling point if you remember the tragic case of the coach driver who died while saving everyone on board by slamming into a wall after brake failure. And there have been plenty of others.

Quote:

The weather: Its no accident that the tourist information strap line for ADH is ‘the island of the sun’ because of its reputation for being the sunniest ski resort in Europe

Is that true? Sierra Nevada? Personally I'd prefer a resort with average sun and a bunch of snow.
ski holidays
I spent a week in ADH once and thought it was rubbish. Then spent 2 days there with a guide from La Grave and it was awesome (the snow wasn't very good in La Grave so after 2 days we came to ADH.) Since then I've always kept an open mind about resorts, until I've seen the best they have to offer.
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
timferg237 wrote:
Dear All
Sorry once again.
Tim

@timferg237 When you are in a hole, stop digging - as from the above I'm still not sure you get it! Having found what I guess to be the website for the chalet you mentioned (which I deliberately won't include here), it includes a quote "Sara and Tim Ferguson’s oasis in the Grandes Rousses Massif resort of Alpe d’Huez is a beautiful and traditional chalet ...". And a "Tim Ferguson" is mentioned on many booking sites in connection to it. So it seems likely that it is your chalet but you still don't want to admit it. Also seems likely that the "blog post" you "simply copied" was written by someone with a connection to you.

The point is that many of us don't mind a little unobtrusive ski-related advertising from fellow snowHeads (although admin may disagree!), particularly if they are also contributing to the forum in other ways. We all want to find suitable reliable ski accommodation. But be upfront and honest about it!

That seems a little harsh. @timferg237 posted for the first time in Jan, he was upfront about the fact it was his chalet and offered a last minute discounted place due to a cancellation. He stated in that first post that he was unsure of the etiquette on the forum, but no one objected and so I guess he assumed it was ok.
So 5 months later (not exactly carpet bombing us with spam there) he put up the OP on this thread, which no doubt was spam. He was called out on pushing his chalet. He immediately comes back on and apologises, editing the OP to remove any reference to his own business.
We're left with a post singing the praises of ADH. ADH may or may not be excellent/rubbish, the quality of the post may or may not be rubbish, but imo @timferg237 only acted out of ignorance and on realising his error acted quickly and respectfully to correct it.

I know he's still 'selling' a resort he has a commercial interest in, but equally he asks in his apology if he has done enough. I really don't see that he's being disingenuous.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 4-06-18 11:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@doddsie, yep - lots of really cool off piste skiing there but not obvious for the most part
latest report
@timferg237, If you want to promote your chalet in an acceptable snowHeads etiquette way are you aware that you can (as many others do) add your website address to your signature line (which you don't seem to have created)? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, agreed.
Respect to @timferg237 for amending his post and apologising.

@timferg237, if you are out there all season, it would be good to get regular updates from the resort.
snow conditions
Not somewhere I'd rush back to as we had a crap chalet staffed by a polish pair who occupied the best room in the chalet and were obviously skimming off the food budget as the food was just awful( have you ever had grey salmon or chicken condom? We watched the snow vanish ( in early February) in the blazing sun and the resort turn into mush! The village isn't pretty either!
The only good thing I remember was a great ski instructor - Stuart at Masterclass. He's worth looking up if you have the misfortune to unknowingly book ADH.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
timferg237 wrote:
meaning that the entire 17km Sarenne Glacier run

17km? it was 10km the last few times I skied it according to my GPS.
...and about half of it is the most boring, flat run-out ever. As 'long black runs' go, it's certainly not one of the more fun ones.
I'd much rather do the Sache in Tignes or, further afield, the Lauberhorn in Wengen and Sasslong in Val Gardena each, quite frankly, make the Sarenne seem comparatively tedious.

I'm sure the Tunnel hasn't been rammed every time I've been down it but it always sticks in my mind as picking my way down between the hapless individuals who felt there was 'no return' once they'd exited the tunnel and are now perched on top of moguls trying to summon up the courage for the next turn.

Other, more hazy, memories of the place centre around hot chocolate and rum with the girls and indeed a bar dedicated to a multitude of fluorescent coloured rums.

Upon consideration, I'd say AdH is more appealing for its rums than its runs.
snow conditions
Somewhat harsh on ADH, which appears to be victimised because of the OP. Some of the points raised ref. south facing slopes and Folie Douce are justified, but I enjoyed the sense of journey and variety on the slopes and some good mountain restaurants. Probably has a lot to do with who you go with and when you go.
snow report
Well anyone who recommends the peage's tells me why I do not go to France - another £80 down the hole. A very good reason now not to go to any French resort.
snow conditions
Quote:

Well anyone who recommends the peage's tells me why I do not go to France - another £80 down the hole. A very good reason now not to go to any French resort.

What an odd thing to say. Italy has toll roads and both Switzerland and Austria require you to buy a vignette to use theirs. The free German and British motorways are jammed solid. And you have to pay to cross the channel, does that count as a toll road?
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
Somewhat harsh on ADH, which appears to be victimised because of the OP. Some of the points raised ref. south facing slopes and Folie Douce are justified, but I enjoyed the sense of journey and variety on the slopes and some good mountain restaurants. Probably has a lot to do with who you go with and when you go.

I normally try and go a couple of times a season. I think the runs are excellent to be honest and there is a lot of accessible off piste. The lift system is not the most efficient, for example for the Sarenne you are looking at 5 lifts via the Marmottes, around an hour's uplift for a quarter of an hour of skiing. The Sarenne is ok if you can take the (often closed) lift up to the Mine de Herpie as it cuts out a couple of km of flat. It is one of my favourite ski areas - but I like a bit of sun after the valley smog.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Good luck with that, a few of those would put me right off.

+1
snow conditions
Quote:

its a blog post that someone wrote about ADH and I simply copied and pasted it.

@timferg237, it's a bit odd that. Being a blog post you'd assume Google could find it, but despite searching for various bits of that 'blog post' Google just can't find it. I can't help wondering if maybe it's a blog post that only exists on your PC.
snow conditions
Had 4 days there before the SOPiB18. The choice in the ski hire shops was more suited to beginners/intermidiots and it lashed down rain on day 4. All the lifts get down to a plateau and it's quite hard to get from one side to the other, meaning getting back to your hotel can be problematic if you don't know the area. I wouldn't say "Don't go there" but neither would I have it in my top 10. The Sarenne is a beautiful run with a nice restaurant at the bottom.
snow conditions
DavidYacht wrote:

If you are going to post on a forum using it as unpaid advertising then the OP must be prepared to take the rough with smooth as a forum is just that!
latest report
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

The famous 21 Hairpins

Not a selling point if you remember the tragic case of the coach driver who died while saving everyone on board by slamming into a wall after brake failure. And there have been plenty of others.

Quote:

The weather: Its no accident that the tourist information strap line for ADH is ‘the island of the sun’ because of its reputation for being the sunniest ski resort in Europe

Is that true? Sierra Nevada? Personally I'd prefer a resort with average sun and a bunch of snow.

Of course the 21 hairpins are famous. To say they are not a selling point is bizarre to say the least. There was the unfortunate accident you mentioned as well as other accidents but Alpe d'Huez is one of the most famous climbs in cycling.

There are 4500 cyclists climbing the Alpe on Thursday, all in aid of charity.. They describe it as - an event in which participants raise as much funds as possible to contribute to the fight against cancer. They do this by running, walking or cycling up the legendary French Alpe d’Huez up to six times in one day.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 5-06-18 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Alpinebear, that's pretty irrelevant for a ski holiday though
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, I thought there was just a hint of a clue in the..
Quote:

7 Reasons Why Alpe d’Huez Should Be Your Next Ski Destination

To your average ski visitor, 21 hairpins isn't a selling point. To some it is positively intimidating - ever been in a car on a road like that with someone who is scared of heights and has an irrational fear of going over the edge? Just a bit odd to describe a piece of angled tarmac as some kind of attraction that's all.

I didn't say they weren't famous either (not that that should matter) but probably only famous to a keen cyclist or armchair TdF watcher. Not exactly Stelvio though is it?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy