Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

daymaker alpine touring adapter?

Poster: A snowHead
so... after doing quite a bit of off piste over the last few years im looking to expand into some touring (only climbing done so far has been in ski boots - not the most comfortable ascent). My problems are twofold at the moment... one obviously is the issue of cost that buying a second AT dedicated setup. The other is that i am partial to my regular setup as i understand an AT setup doesnt feel quite the same due to the bindings mostly. So really the question is if anyone has tried using the daymaker alpine touring adapters and if so what your impressions of them was?

link to the product in question for reference: https://www.daymakertouring.com/products/alpine-touring-adapters

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, a copy of an alpine trekker (also see securifix) that costs more than a real touring binding!

Get a pair of Marker F10's if you are on the fence - yeah a bit heavy compared to a full on rando tech setup but skis like a regular binding (if you are not bashing gates) and is simpler than anything else going.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im aware of the trekker ... as far as i know it was discontinued. This is slightly different in the way it hinges it seems. Also, the problem in price is not just for the binding itself... but i digress...

its the "skis like a regular binding" bit that has always worried me... i guess that is a matter of personal perception. But really, this isnt an argument about what is better or worse (as obviously a dedicated setup is designed just for that)... its a question of "if it works" and "how well it works" for anyone that has used the product...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
look heavy, clunky and expensive. For that price you can get shift bindings.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They're known as Daywreckers wink

Get yourself a pair of Shifts or standard frame touring bindings. They ski just linke alpine bindings (and that's coming from someone who dislikes how pin bindings ski, form TLT Speeds to Kingpins).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lol... well i was hoping for some first hand experience... but at least its entertaining... untill i do... a couple of questions

1. the shift bindings ive seen are at around 500 or above... quite pricey... any retainler you know of offering good prices?
2. how well do shift bindings handle any park features like rails etc. and landings (including from a drop while off piste)?

thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valci, just watch what Cody Townsend does with the Shifts and you'll see that they'll cope with anything the average consumer can throw at them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valci wrote:

1. the shift bindings ive seen are at around 500 or above... quite pricey... any retainler you know of offering good prices?
2. how well do shift bindings handle any park features like rails etc. and landings (including from a drop while off piste)?

1. Sport Conrad
2. No park and all soft snow, but you get the drift...

http://youtube.com/v/VHaucX1a1XU

FWIW I don't ski park, but I skied Shifts probably about 50% of my ski days last season, and just bought a second pair for lighter touring skis. I would ski anything on Shifts that I would on my alpine bindings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for the info/suggestions folks...

@clarky999 - just out of curiosity why are those adapters called "Daywreckers"... not that I don't get the metaphorical meaning... I mean in a very practical sense. Do they not work as intended? Or is it just a case of it being harder than it could be? I'm asking cause the reviews I've seen were generally positive but you know, grain of salt and all that... which is why I ended up asking on here...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Valci, it's slightly ironic, but they're heavy, tall, and flex in the system (think problems holding an edge uphill on a steep face hard snow), plus you've gotta carry them around in your pack all day. I havne't used them myself. But they offer 0 advantage over frame bindings like the Duke with a bunch of downsides.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn’t recommend them for touring, but for taking you first steps into accessing off piste 10-30 minutes climb from a lift they are a sensible option if you want to use your existing set up. The only downside is you need to carry them in your pack and as mentioned stay away from steep traverses. They’ve been known as alpine wreckers as some people have managed to break them, but they are pretty tough and worked fine for me. Btw I have a set of Securafix and or Alpine Trekkers spare if you want a cheap option to try Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valci wrote:
its the "skis like a regular binding" bit that has always worried me... i guess that is a matter of personal perception. But really, this isnt an argument about what is better or worse (as obviously a dedicated setup is designed just for that)... its a question of "if it works" and "how well it works" for anyone that has used the product...

Frame bindings and Shifts ski like regular alpine bindings... because essentially that's what they are. Across my skis, I have an alpine and a Marker F12 (for these purposes, the same as the F10), and I have skied the Shift on the same ski, thus removing that variable from the equation. All the same (the Markers take a bit of swearing to clip in to, but that's the same across the range), all fine to ski.

I will probably add a Shift when they come in lower DINs, but for now I think I'll be swapping one out for a Marker Alpinist pin binding. Hopefully I won't have @clarky999's issues Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mhm... thanks guys and gals... I think my main concerns with AT bindings going down hill probably have to do with the robustness of the binding as I am a big guy ... 1,91m tall and some 110 kg and pretty aggressive skier ... and between the weight and the forces involved while skiing was worried that the more mobile parts the easier it is to brake... but that's probably just in my head... lol Very Happy

And as a follow up question... boot wise I use a pair of Full Tilt boots. I've had shin bang issues with most other regular design boots I've used over the years and am reluctant to switch out of them. Is skinning doable in them if for instance I loosen them up?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only time I can see that daymaker type of binding adaptor is hire them in resort for a few hours apart from that they look awful. If you want to keep your full tilts a frame binding is your answer even quiver killer another set of bindings if you want park? There also seam to be some good deals on frame buildings since the shift has came along. For what it's worth full tilt have a nice looking pin boot now aswell.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Valci, I can supply Shifts are a great price. Where are you located?
snow conditions
I don't do park much and mostly easy stuff anyway(but am partial to a drop and/or ramp here and there) ... the question was more towards the general robustness and shock resistance (for the landing part mostly)of the bindings... so rails was not really the best example above. I will definitely check out some frame bindings (any suggestions for someone my size?). I saw that full tilt had released a new AT boot but my budget is limited ATM as I have a fresh 5 months old that is straining my budget ( and I don't want to have to sleep on the couch if my wife finds I've gone willy nilly with our income either Very Happy )... so investing in new boots also is probably out of the question this year...

@spyderjon - Romania. It's not super urgent as this seasons skiing trips will likely be few and far between but I'd be interested to know what you have for reference...

@BertieG - i suppose for a short foray (on a budget) i could give something like the alpine trekkers a go... send me a PM with some details maybe... ill consider it

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 12-12-19 17:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Hopefully I won't have @clarky999's issues Confused

Most people don't. Guess I'm just special Laughing
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Do the OP's Full Tilt boots have inserts?
snow conditions
If you mean the type for AT bindings then no KenX...
latest report
Valci wrote:
Im aware of the trekker ... as far as i know it was discontinued. This is slightly different in the way it hinges it seems. Also, the problem in price is not just for the binding itself... but i digress...

I ski about 100 days a year, Have been doing so for 22 winters. I've raced a bit and skied a few notable extreme lines. As far as ski bindings go, The Fritschi Freerides of 20 years ago skied sloppy, naxo's and a few others, All tech (pin) bindings have their own feel. A real pair of race bindings are solid in their own way, but anything else will ski very much the same.....unless it's broken.

I've done 100 or so days on Trekkers, Securifixes and home made variants and they are all the same, they suck badly. You stand up high and loose a lot of lateral stiffness. In nice fresh soft snow they are fine, just fiddly. But most of the time ski touring isn't like that, you have to fight to hold an edge at some pint, there are twists and turns on steep uphill, and then there are Kick turns, any touring converter fails at all of these, normally with your skis coming off.
snow report
@Idris - thanks for your input mate. They make them look good enough in this video (among others obviously):

http://youtube.com/v/OHp5xcES9dQ

... marketing eh?! lol... it is evident though that your point about standing up high is true...
ski holidays
I don't think there's enough money difference for me not to have the Shifts if I was in your position...but I'm fat, lazy and I already paid for a lift pass so I'm working with gravity instead.
snow conditions
Apart from the fact without inserts the OP’s boots won’t work uphill in the Shifts..........
latest report
KenX wrote:
Apart from the fact without inserts the OP’s boots won’t work uphill in the Shifts..........

lol... well that puts a damper on things...
ski holidays
@Valci, just get your flavour of frame bindings (F10/Guardian) which you can use uphill with your boots, will ski just fine downhill, see if you like touring and if you get into it, buy an AT setup and reap the benefits!
ski holidays
@KenX - It's not so much about liking touring or not (although given that I like going hiking in the off season I don't see why I wouldn't)... it's that I'd rather not have to boot it (sometimes in knee deep snow) in order to be able to hit a line I really like or find a stash of powder or whatnot (which I have done... but I ain't getting any younger). It's probably not gonna be super long touring runs at first anyway... just need the most cost effective tool that can get me where I need to be without sacrificing in performance on or off piste... that's what led me to looking for alternatives. I will definitely look into frame bindings too...

And btw I appreciate all the contributions...
snow report
Just thinking you have to transport these while skiing so that's filling a fair chunk of a decent sized back pack and at 1400g it's not exactly feather weight on the hike up. Plus a max user weight of 100kg (inc back pack) its creating more problems than answering.
snow report
We used to rent out securifix to customers in the ski shop, 50% came back moaning..........
I used some here on an SoPibash 5 years ago before I had any AT kit, absolutely horrible, too high, awkward to get into, heavy and bulky in the backpack.....
Like I said, frame bindings ski just like alpine bindings on the down and whilst not perfect on the up, are a useable alternative to dropping £1000 on AT boots and bindings!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah thanks guys...

@ Watshout - lol... well scratch that idea. 100 kg incl. backpack? ... never gonna happen... at my thinnest in my adult life i was 95kg by myself and i was pretty darn thin at the time at my height. Which i guess leaves me with egg on my face re this whole thread... why checking the tech specs wasnt the first (or even second) thing i did i dont know Laughing

@KenX - yeah... thats likely the route im gonna have to take anyway... thanks for the info!
ski holidays
Not such a thing as egg on your face on here!
ski holidays
well since i've reached this point... my skis are 100mm at the waist so if y'all have any suggestions on what frame bindings are best for that?
snow conditions
Just for feedback, myself and Kooky have 3 pairs of the Atomic Tracker / Salomon Guardian frame bindings, they have lasted approx 5 years, all still going strong and are on skis up to 120mm wide. Have handled tours up to 1000m, jump parks, drops and a hell of a lot of off piste skiing. She also has a Marker F12 which although newer has held up just as well and is lighter.

I usually paid about £180 for the Trackers / Guardians but have just seen them online now for €219.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-12-19 8:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Valci, Frame bindings and alpine boots are miserable for a long tour (anything more than a couple of hours), but for what you describe they would be fine. In fact, for the time being I'm going to leave my frame bindings on my powder skis knowing that if I want to skin half an hour for a better spot, I can still do that.

As to which ones, you want to look at your size and DIN setting to narrow it down a bit. The Markers are a bit sweary to get into, but otherwise bombproof.
snow report
well my DIN is normally at 9-10... and im not planning anything longer than a couple of hours atm so that should be fine... im looking over my options online atm ( cause what else am i gonna do at work at the start of the skiing season than look at skiing gear am i right? Laughing )

thanks a lot!
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Agreed, I used to do short tours in my Redster boots to get lines, I walked a bit like a T Rex Laughing Laughing Laughing but undoing them was fine for 30 mins. Now I have some decent freeride boots with a tour mode there are no problems. Some of my friends do 2.5 hour tours in alpine boots, it does depend on your feet and boot flex a little.

My other half has the same swearing problem with the F12s as she is only 50kg and it needs a bit of a hop and stamp to click into them.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
I walked a bit like a T Rex Laughing Laughing Laughing

What, with tiny hands?! I think we need a video.

Scarpa wrote:
My other half has the same swearing problem with the F12s as she is only 50kg and it needs a bit of a hop and stamp to click into them.

Yep, same here. People get used to watching you jump up and down outside the hut swearing blue murder at the things Laughing I find swapping the settings between my boots a PITA, mostly because I need almost my entire body weight to click the boot in, you have to do it quite a few times, and my arms just aren't that strong Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy