Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand - Central South Island 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Blue skies in Hanmer Springs today. Went exploring in direction of Hanmer ski area, but mountain road closed to vehicles without chains... no surprise, snowfall yesterday down to 1000m and the road icy as sin no doubt. Ahh well... another morning soaking in the thermal pools instead Very Happy

Hike to the top of Conical Hill behind the town in the afternoon offered grand views of Mt Isobel through to Mt Percival showing off their snowy white caps. Not many mountains in North Canterbury above 2000m, Miromiro (1800m) looks to be the "cima coppi" of the Hanmer area.

Driving up to Blenheim tomorrow on the coastal route via Kaikoura. Will be interested in progress with new infrastructure since the 2016 earthquake. Beautiful scenery down here but I dont know how you Southerners cope with the earthquake threat. That said... I do my skiing on an active volcano, so maybe it's all a matter of perspective Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skiwi 55, it's funny how people react - you can always spot the newcomers to town on the geonet "felt it" map when we have a little shake. Lots of minor shaking reports, and the odd "severe shaking" presumably from recently arrived residents Happy

After 11,000 odd shakes since September 2010 you get used to it. But the big ones are bloody scary, and you never know when it will happen.

The only thing you can do is be prepared and have a plan. My biggest worry is tsunami - the beach starts where my back garden stops, and if there is a big undersea slip in the canyon offshore of Kaikoura, there's a matter of minutes with very little warning before it gets to me. So the plan is if it's a proper big one, get out of the house and up a hill immediately.

There's no way now that I would work in an old building or a tall building. Used to be up on the 13th floor in town, but now I would never consider that - not really many tall buildings left anyway, and the only ones that are over about 4 floors are hotels.

Saying that, I reckon Wellington is just as scary, and not sure I would be keen on Auckland with the risk of volcanoes. A few years ago through work I had to get involved in modelling risk of natural disasters for insurance, and the likelihood of a major event in Auckland is actually pretty high, relative to earthquake risks in Wellington and the South Island.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy