Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keep your hands in the vehicle at all times

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is not about skiing. But it is about capturing the same feeling.

It's the time of year when I have to make the transition from planks to wheels. All winter I have been building bikes, when not on the hill on skis or in b2 boots. I do it every year. There are bikes to service, bikes to repair, bikes to build. Alex's new downhill rig for season 2018. My new Cannondale XC bike, built from the frame up from an F6 neglected by its owner. Hope, Hope, Shimano, Hope. Get the headset press out. An Orange P7 to build for Alex for the school run. My partner's Orange O2 to turn into something which isn't a rust-heap. Skis are now in the garage in CH, storage wax on. Ski rack is off, and cleaned, and propped in the corner. End of season blues...twelve bar melancholy.

Easter has turned into May, and my head is still in skiing. But today I've finally thrown the Cannondale in the back of the Skoda, along with a new tiny P7 for Alex. We smile as the South Downs simmer blue in the distance as we top the hill at the end of the M23. Thirty minutes later and we're turning though the 'hole in the wall' and into Stanmer Park - single track beckoning. I am anxious about the Cannondale in single track. This is an upright, short top-tube bike - long front suspension, 40mil stem and wide, wide bars. Light as a duck's feather - it came out at 9kgs without even trying. The frame was 2kg on the scales and for such a big structure seemed to float in my hand. Tubes the thickness of Coke cans. Forget the gear...we're here to ride...Alex has no hesitation. He flings his bike forward and hurtles into the wood, diving left as soon as possible off the firetrack and into the single track. He's gone. Off. Launched. Vavoom....left and right through the trees, no hesitation....all reflex and balance. Well, here goes - steep....narrow...rooty....trees a blur on either side; a moment ill-judged or a root ignored and I will be in the trees and hurting. Within seconds I am sorted..the new geometry of the bike is an asset, not a pain, so I can push and push and forget where I am, just focus on the buzz and control....

Alex has pulled up and is laughing. And I know why. It's the feeling. The same as pulling turns in a metre of fresh, or carving tight turns on boiler plate. The sense of falling but flying, of just doing, not thinking. Maybe Summer is not so bad after all....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Summer is never bad.

I ski when I can’t bike.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm off for a bit of VVT in a couple of weeks. I'll be skiing too.

Should I know who Alex is?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bar shaker, What is VVT ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nicely written.

Wouldn't it be better posted to the MTB thread in apres though
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, VTT maybe? Velo Tout Terrain
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, VTT maybe? Velo Tout Terrain
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, ...he’s 12, about 1000per cent better on skis than me and getting ahead on his bike now ... grrrrrrr
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, you’re right....I just tend to post to the piste through utter laziness....need to break the habit...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy