Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calgary - BA suspends service

Poster: A snowHead
From BA

British Airways has announced the temporary suspension of services between London Heathrow (LHR) and Calgary (YYC) for Winter 2018.

The final BA103/102 services between London Heathrow and Calgary will depart on Saturday 27 October 2018 and services will re-commence on 31 March 2019.

The flight seemed very busy both ways when we went, however it flies at virtually the same time as Air Canada, which made immigration interesting
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
radar wrote:
... The flight seemed very busy both ways when we went...

But apparently mainly not, as
BA, via CBC news, wrote:
"We regularly review our schedule to ensure that we are flying to destinations popular with our customers during the months they wish to fly," ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the midweek services weren't as popular
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a pain we usually fly into Calgary with ba then on to Kelowna or Kamloops.
As the flight into Calgary was earlier than the one to Vancouver, there were more choices, which meant we got to the resort the same day....
Plus Calgary flight went from the same terminal, avoiding the bus ride to terminal 3.
2019 we have booked to fly to Vancouver I have booked a hotel for the first night.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just checked on Air Canada website and they seem to be offering flight from regional airports via BA so hopefully they will ticket luggage straight through. Just the terminal change to deal with. Ugh.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@lynnecha, If your luggage is tagged to go straight through, it is really no issue at all to change terminals at heathrow. Buses run airside very, very frequently I have never found it the least hassle.

If you have to pick up luggage and re-check it for the next flight it is a bit painful I agree, but not if your luggage is checked through.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zikomo, IIRC the shuttle between terminal 4 and 2 goes on roads outside the airport. Well it did when I last used it. It was a strange connection.

@lynnecha, I hadn't realised that BA did any regional airports. I thought they only flew from London these days and if you wanted to go from a regional airport you had to go through Madrid.

It all goes to show how out of touch I have become with things London.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, BA do fly from Newcastle, but only to Heathrow. We rarely fly now, but last time we flew via Amsterdam.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lynnecha, Its even dafter that on BA you still have to change flipping terminals. When they Built T5 it was supposed to be for everything. Did not last long.
@radar, I am annoyed that the AirTransat flight Manchester to Vancouver is the same only flies May-Oct. Grrr
Have a look at the Iceland Air alternatives. At least that is on the way, unlike us going down to Heathrow, hang around for hours and then Fly back up past Manchester.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for extra info. @johnE, BA fly from Manchester and Leeds Bradford- mostly via Heathrow but some direct to other destinations.

I think I will look at Amsterdam, but it seems daft going East to fly West, although a lot of people do from Leeds Bradford just to avoid Heathrow!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lynnecha, it may seem daft, but might actually be faster depending on the connection, Amsterdam is a single terminal (although massive) and an easier connection that Heathrow. There are occasions where a connecting flights can be quicker in particular to Asia going via Helsinki is faster.

Dublin Might be an option as there are direct flights to the US and Canada, not sure what the connection times are like.

For planning I use Google flights and Kayak, my preference is to then book via the airline, unless it’s a package with a tour operator such as Ski Independence (no I don’t work for them) as you get full abta protection.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just don't be tempted to do a minimum time transfer at Schipol - it is so large there is a litany of missed connections from Humberside and LBA - particularly in winter when things often slow down for fog (not quite as badly as LHR though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@radar, lots to think about- it’s just so much easier with a straightforward connection through T5. But then again it’s only once a year....@chocksaway, thanks for the insight. I am thinking we may just drive to LHR, it’s just such a drag trying to stay awake on the way back home!

PS @chocksaway,hope you are having a good summer!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, I have had no problems at Schipol, even with a 45 minute transfer, but the taxi from the terminal to the runway takes a very long time. I thought we were going to taxi all the way to China last month. Paris is a different beast if you have to change from one terminal to another.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, you should try Dallas!! No I’m not recommending it as a transfer point, I avoid transferring in the states thought have had a good experience at Atlanta when connecting to Miami. Just in case anyone is wondering what I'm on about, when arrivng on an international flight into the USA you need to clear customs and immigration before you go on your way, this means getting yiur luggage and checking in again, usually at a special checkin counter. A micro scooter is hady for Schipol Toofy Grin still one of my favourite airports
snow report
I got a taxi from DFW airport to downtown Dallas , I told the cab driver the motorway was quiet. He said, " yep, we are still in the airport" Apparently it's bigger than Manhattan Island ( his words) I had flown there from Vancouver so did US customs and Immigration at YVR, it was then dead easy . Now returning from there, even with fastrack, had a big queue for security.
snow report
I go through Dallas fairly regularly on my way to Mexico. It's a real pain that the USA doesn't have transit passengers, so I have to queue for immigration to get into the USA, then go round the corner and queue for security to get back airside for my flight to Mexico. Aside from that it's a good airport.
snow report
So our Air Canada flights might be a bit busier in March!

We're flying down the night before BA from Edinburgh- don't trust our bags to be transferred in time to different terminals if only a few hours between flights. We've done that on the way back and bags haven't been put on Edinburgh flight twice- but it doesn't matter on the way home

Bags always go straight through though even the night before- the first time we did it I was a bit paranoid about them getting on the outbound Air Canada flight but the lady at the gate looked on a computer and confirmed that our bag and skis had been loaded Smile
ski holidays
@MCL, thanks for that- helpful info.
latest report
@lynnecha, if you fly to Heathrow the night before there’s loads of hotels just outside the airport on the Hoppa bus route- I think the cost of one night in a hotel is better than the stress of regional flight cancelled or delayed and missing Canada flight or luggage not arriving .....you just want to get there and get out skiing....when you’re wide awake at 4am the next morning 😊
ski holidays
The reason BA cancelled the Calgary route is probably the RR engine problem.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/11/rolls-royce-engine-problems-job-cuts-boeing-787

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rolls-royce-hldg-trent1000/rolls-royce-says-tripling-capacity-to-fix-trent-1000-engine-problems-idUSKCN1IU2NY
ski holidays
I always went air transat..
latest report
@MCL, you are absolutely right. It definitely sounds the best option for all of the reasons you say. The 4am wake up is a familiar scenario!

The stress of complicated travel arrangements is too unpleasant.

I think we better get our flights booked- Air Canada is going to be busy....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy