Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre Vs Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks...

Having narrowed our 2019 Feb half term trip down to 2 hopefuls, I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, preferences, advice on these two regions... ???

I've never been to either so it's all new to me... One chalet is actually in Montgenevre and the other in the 'La Salle-Les-Alpes' area of Serre Chevalier...

Things I'm ideally looking for, is info on the terrain, ease of access across the domains (lifts, queues, ball-aches etc)... Ski schools, Is Italy really that much cheaper than France for eating on the mountain...?

Anything really... Very Happy

Many thx in advance folks...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AlpineAddict, personally I don't think there's a whole deal of difference between the food prices in Monty/Claviere and Serre Che, and I ski in both. Coffee is definitely better overall, although there are a couple of OK places to get it in SC. Others may think differently though. I can't comment on half-term queues or ski school in Monty either, but from comments there are some bottlenecks in SC when ski school sets off in the morning at the bottom lift, and on Frejus and Serre Ratier midstations. Which is your closest lift to the chalet? There's a new mid-mountain chairlift going in this summer which may make a difference. Insider knowledge may help you avoid them too. There are a couple of options for ski school. Ski Connections from Villeneuve La Salle, and Gavin Crosby of New Gen, but he is likely to be just teaching out of Monetier at half-term.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have been to both and will go back to both again.

Not sure what your level of skiing is or how far you want to travel in a day. Serre Che offers you a bigger area to travel in. Montgenevre does link to the other Milky way Italian resorts but the links aren't that convenient we have always stuck to Montgen & Claviere.

Monty has a smaller feel, feels more like a trad village unless you are in Monetier and is very friendly. The Italian mountain restaurants I think are nicer than the French ones and it's nice to feel you're going to Italy. Monty is very easy to manage if you don't want to cover huge distances and as nice confidence building slopes. We've been several times and don't get bored in a week. Most accommodation is convenient for the slopes. A Peak in Monty is a great ski school and I'd recommend it.

Serre Che has more to go at and the villages have good bus links so you can ski one end to.the other without worrying about last lifts or rushing back. Monetier is a lovely old village. Serre Che has more for none skiers who can have a trip to the old City of Briancon though there is a bus there from Monty too. Baths at Monetier must not be missed, not been to the new ones in Monty. Gavin as above is highly recommended for ski school but operates out of Monetier mostly I think.
To be honest I like and would recommend both resorts so you won't go wrong with either. If you are flying Turin is the much better transfer
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One thing I forgot. look at where your accom is in Serre Che, we've been in a chalet 5 mins walk from a lift! Which might have been.. in summer.... in trainers.... at a very very very brisk sprint but certainly wasn't in ski boots!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, The chalet we're looking at in Ser Che is on Chemin des Sillons, opposite the Aravet lift??? Im pretty sure the families will want to go through ESF as their kids have been working through the levels with them for several years now... Thx for the info though... Does this part of town have much do (restaurants, bars etc), or is it quiet?

@Dr George, Thx also for the info... Some really useful stuff here... We're predominantly snowboarders and all of a pretty decent level...

There are no 'none-skiers' amongst us so just looking for a nice, traditional place, with a few restaurants and somewhere decent for a few apres beers once off the slopes... (this is actually quite important) Smile

BTW, the place in Montgenevre is in the vicinity of the first lift you come to as you enter the village from Briancon... Rue du Rocher Diseur... We're led to believe it's only 500m, from the advert, but google puts it as a 900m and 15 min walk...

Finally, are there ski lockers in Montgenevre...? I know there are in Ser Che?
Thx loads
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AlpineAddict,that is quite a walk from the Aravet lift, over a main road and across the river, although there is probably a navette running up there. There's quite a few bars and restaurants around though, if you head back towards the river from the chalet, and you are in a traditional part of the resort. Plenty of bars for apres at the bottom of the slopes. The Grotte (under Aravet lift), and Le Chazelet (bottom of Casse du Boeuf), for example.

Link to a Google map, with bars and restaurants listed here https://bit.ly/2Jso1Pa.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having been to both I would opt for Serre Chevalier. It had mor to offer as a ski area for me. Monty was my first ever ski trip so never got to explore it as much as Serre Che. The thermal spa baths in Monetier are a must visit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@AlpineAddict,that is quite a walk from the Aravet lift, over a main road and across the river, although there is probably a navette running up there.

Is it really... The advert and google maps has it it at just 400m and 5-7 mins walk...??? Is that really quite out...? If we can help it we don't really want to have to drive to the lifts each morning...? We did that last year, and it's a bit of pain when there are several kids on tow...

Good to know that there are a good few decent apres bars around... I think the group are split atm, between the two chalets... So it depends on distance to sloes as the one in Montgenevre is further out I think... But looks amazeballs Smile

alangibson73, The die of these sound great but after riding and drinking, I never seem to find the time to sit in a spa... Very Happy Very Happy Thx tho
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AlpineAddict, I've just put in Place d'Aravet to Chemin de Sillons and walking, got 650m and 9 minutes. I'm not sure how long the street is.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The thermal spa baths in Monetier are a must visit.

Chalet will possibly organise a visit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, Yeah that is about what I got... Well 400m from where the location was on HomeAway... With our group size and budget, I don't think we'll get much closer to resort centre, anywhere than that, in a chalet... Sad

Thx tho Helen...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AlpineAddict, no problem. Just trying to make sure you avoid any nasty surprises. Who's the chalet operator?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AlpineAddict, that's almost exactly the same distance as my daily walk from the car park in Chantemerle to the Ratier gondola, just enough to warm up those legs Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, Its just an independent chalet on HomeAway...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AlpineAddict, link? PM me it. I can check it out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy