Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet baggage fees

Poster: A snowHead
Ive booked 2 flights to GVA, with Easyjet this December and we're travelling with hand luggage only... Trying to be a real cheap quick trip, and I was looking at the difference with Hold bags and Sports Equipment prices... I notice it is now £74 to take 'Snowboard/Skis, with a max of 20kg... However, it is only £31 to just book 20kg of hold luggage... Surely the same thing right..?

So,my question is, has anyone travelled with a snowboard bag, having just booked it as 20kg of Hold luggage and NOT as a 'snowboard', and got away with it..?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AlpineAddict, Doesn't it exceed the permissible sizes of a "normal" cabin bag? I think that's the get out....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
@AlpineAddict, Doesn't it exceed the permissible sizes of a "normal" cabin bag? I think that's the get out....

But it's not a cabin bag... It's Hold luggage... Unless that's what you meant ???

I've just found this on EasyJet's website - 'Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm'

So surely that means I can just pay for 20kg hold luggage at half the price of a snowboard bag...?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AlpineAddict, Yes you can. Many on here do that without problems.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geepee, Awesome news... Thx for this

Easyjet are such rip off merchants... Charging double for something that has no need to be charged double for... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is all fine until your board gets damaged and you haven't paid for it to get 'sports equipment special handling'.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker wrote:
This is all fine until your board gets damaged and you haven't paid for it to get 'sports equipment special handling'.

In those circumstances I presume you can claim on your travel insurance?

Thanks to OP for asking his as I had been wondering the same myself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did it it last year, but it was an honest mistake as I really didn't see the sports equipment bit. They had a bit of a word, but I just shrugged it off and said it wasn't clear. They checked us in at no extra cost. Doing the same this year. But as someone stated above, I suppose it shouldn't matter if it's within the size limits of standard hold.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AlpineAddict, Good news....might try that myself sometime.....and yes I meant hold bag.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had this discussion with Easyjet having had the same thought a couple of years ago. You can take a piece of 2x4 wood that is 200cm long as normal hold baggage, but you can't take skis unless you pay for them as skis. They may or may not overlook this on an individual one-off basis, but their policy is clear when you try and get something in writing (I emailed them). However, with a short enough snowboard bag you may be able to get away with it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, oh and back to being utterly confused.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:

I very much doubt there is that much 'special handling' going on... It will still go in oversized luggage, so still require the same folk to handle it as if it was booked in as a snowboard...

I agree tho, that it seems to be all down to the people on the check in desk... I fly out of Bournemouth and they don't use EasyJet personnel... Serviceair I think...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowdave, likewise you can pay £xx to take 32kg 'large sports equipment' but if you want to take skis that weigh more than 20kg you're supposed to book the 'small sports equipment' and a hold bag, then EJ allow you to combine the total.

Either way the subcontractor that actually moves the items treats them in exactly the same way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just found the previous such thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112500&sid=033035169d92131ef7ca4f7a0017969a
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowdave wrote:
Just found the previous such thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112500&sid=033035169d92131ef7ca4f7a0017969a

Yes found this when I was looking but knowing how frequently the T&Cs are and can be updated felt being 3yrs old wasn't a source I could rely on.
latest report
I think the consensus is that this is an 'unknown' area... Contacting EJ will never help as they're bound to just say "you must book them as sports equipment", so it seems it is pot luck as to who you get at check-in and whether or not they kick up a stink... and how good your reasoning is Very Happy

Thx folks
ski holidays
Interesting this.....I've never tried it but it might rekindle my interest in flying EJ in future. I gave up 2-3 years ago on the basis that I wasn't prepared to pay for their extortionate ski carriage.

So am I right in thinking that if you put all your skis/ poles and avi gear plus clothes in a big roll-along and it sits below the hold baggage weight allowance you pay for it can go as a normal hold bag? Bindings in rucksack as cabin baggage.

What is the hold bag weight allowance on EJ, can you pay a bit more for say 23/24kg or is it 20kg?
latest report
You can pay extra in 3kg units beyond the standard 20kg

I think you might struggle to get skis, poles and gear into a bag with max linear dimensions 275cm.

Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to get bindings through security. There's a fair bit of metal in some of mine. Then again, I saw someone try (and fail!) to take a baseball bat through a few months ago, so everyone obviously has their own view on what's ok...
snow report
@snowdave, if you have a 180 long bag, that’s e.g. 30 deep and 65 wide. Larger than 4x carry ons.

Weight might be the issue but I don’t think volume would be.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think you might struggle to get skis, poles and gear into a bag with max linear dimensions 275cm

@snowdave, How long are your skis then? I thought my powder skis are pretty long at 191cm, you doing the 4 Hills ski jumping?

I've taken bindings in my rucksack many times, not had an issue at security in the past tbph....
latest report
175cm dakine low roller has a total size of 233cm, the fall line double 190cm is 253cm -- so do-able
snow report
I was thinking of getting some ski boots and taking them as carry on, stuffing other key items in the in the boot bag. I assume this would be ok in the cabin?
snow conditions
@albob, Exactly... With most ski/snowbaord bags coming in at under the 275cm total size, that EJ clearly state, I fail to see how they can look at a board bag and say "No"... Who's to say you don't just use a board bag 'as your hold bag', with no snowboard or skis in there...?????

@Markymark29, Standard weight allowance is 20kg for ski/board bag and for hold luggage as well, but you can increment your 'hold' allowance, paying a little bit more each time... and it's 50% cheaper to carry hold luggage than ski/board carriage, with the same weight allowance...
snow report
TopGooner wrote:
I was thinking of getting some ski boots and taking them as carry on, stuffing other key items in the in the boot bag. I assume this would be ok in the cabin?

You would need to check this - some airlines do not allow boots in the cabin, Thomas Cook being one, not sure about EJ
ski holidays
I always take my boots as carry on with EJ inside a suitcase though.
latest report
@Markymark29,
Quote:

flying EJ in future. I gave up 2-3 years ago on the basis that I wasn't prepared to pay for their extortionate ski carriage

+1
Board bag (I'm quite short!) containing skis, poles, clothes and all manner of other junk up to 23kg in the hold, boots and helmet in hand luggage, no ski carriage to pay, job done. BA.
snow report
albob wrote:
TopGooner wrote:

You would need to check this - some airlines do not allow boots in the cabin, Thomas Cook being one, not sure about EJ

easyjet is fine, do it all the time. Take your boots in a wheelie bag ...not a boot bag...no-one from Thomas Cook would have a clue what is in the bag
snow report
There is a wonderfully uninformative thread called "next season is going to be more expensive" - this tells you exactly why - it has nothing much to do with exchange rates but profiteering airlines. Having read this thread it has made me certain I will drive next season. Cheapish ferry, not so much hanging around being treated like cattle, no parking charges at airports, certainly not as much walking around endless airport terminals, you have your own transfer and can go to different resorts at will and bring back some slightly cheaper booze as well. For a week it might not be economical but for two or three weeks - no question - ah, airlines destroying their markets. It is sad that all these actions and the ridiculously high hire charges, which would be the antidote to high baggage charges, are the sort of things that put people off skiing as being unaffordable. As I have said previously when Jet2 have had offers on ski charges - please come to Bristol and Exeter and sort out EJ and Flybe. Pl......ease
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@countryman, the problem with Exeter will always be how much the airport charges for a stand, not sure that any truly budget airline will be able to operate here.
latest report
If flying @TopGooner, I always would take boots in hand luggage. Who is actually going to check?
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
There is a wonderfully uninformative thread called "next season is going to be more expensive" - this tells you exactly why - it has nothing much to do with exchange rates but profiteering airlines.....

Risky game running an airline. Events can easily change an airline from being 'profiteering' to bust. Ask any former Monarch employee.
latest report
Hi all,

Sorry to hi-jack slightly but is there additional cost to add hold/checked baggage on after booking?

We have had a couple of late comers to our trip, so I have provisionally booked their flights and seats. I haven't added on any luggage for them as they aren't sure yet of what they will need.

Will it cost the same as if we had bought it at the same time (which would have been £31 for a 20kg bag return) or do Easyjet manage to add on extra "booking" fees?

Cheers
snow report
Quote:

Hi all,

Sorry to hi-jack slightly but is there additional cost to add hold/checked baggage on after booking?

We have had a couple of late comers to our trip, so I have provisionally booked their flights and seats. I haven't added on any luggage for them as they aren't sure yet of what they will need.

Will it cost the same as if we had bought it at the same time (which would have been £31 for a 20kg bag return) or do Easyjet manage to add on extra "booking" fees?

Cheers

As long as you book online and not at the airport it is the same (unless its changed in the last month).
ski holidays
Fridge03 - I seem to remember an earlier thread where the poster had booked online while sat in the airport lounge (at no extra cost)

N. B. - Not sure if that would apply if you were amending a booking though.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

In those circumstances I presume you can claim on your travel insurance?.

I'd guess not. I believe airlines are responsible for items checked in rather than travel insurance. I can't imagine your travel insurance covering damage to skis etc when you've not followed the airline's rules.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
... I wouldn't risk trying to get bindings through security. There's a fair bit of metal in some of mine. ...
I've had zero problems carrying metal race snowboard bindings in the cabin on lots of transatlantic and European flights.
Ditto boots. Many people carry their boots because they're relatively hard to replace/ rent, depending on what you use. Hold baggage is always risky, more so if you have multiple segments or fancy customs to transition.
I've now and then had hold bags go astray, but never had anyone worry about my boots & bindings.

Granted I've never flown charters, although security people don't in general care about who the carrier is, they're not enforcing carrier-specific commercial rules.

As far as "insurance" is concerned, it comes with the ticket - the Montreal Convention etc take care of all that.
You can pay for your own insurance as well I suppose, but you may want to read the small print.
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers

As long as you book online and not at the airport it is the same (unless its changed in the last month).

Cool. Thanks.
Try to get an reply from Easyjet has been like getting blood out of a stone.
snow conditions
Well not sure about EJ but Ryanair you can, because I tried recently, but it is at full price, on some flights they seem to sometimes have a reduced baggage price when you book, and there was no 15kg option - only 20kgs at £40, I think. Needless to say, they earned less profit since we made do with the one bag booked at the time of booking.
snow report
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers

I've added a bag on the app, an hour before checking it in.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers

I've added a bag on the app, an hour before checking it in.

Did it cost you any more to add it on after you had booked? Or just the standard luggage cost?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy