Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ski related purchase for £150......

Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests, amazon screwed up one of my orders and have given me a voucher by way of compensation. I go away next week and am thinking I should buy some ski related gadgetry... what gets your reccomendation?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oakleys with prizm lenses for me.
total witchcraft in crap light
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ this!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hestra gloves
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smith I/O 7's best ski purchase yet!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A pair of very light Leki poles and Trigger S gloves to match
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, do you actually rate Trigger S gloves? I just have the Trigger S straps and put them over my gloves... I am yet to discover why this is less than perfect... can you enlighten me?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hestra gloves or boot heaters
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@B1g_browner, I second the Smith i/ox (with dark and light lens), but that's partly because I picked mine up for under £40 thanks to an Amazon warehouse deal.

My other things are mostly quite cheap (stuff like a hard case to put goggles in), or much more expensive (like skis and transceiver).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Would have to second the Hestra gloves, got some as an Xmas pressie season before this one and they're fantastic... though I think I may now have to investigate the Oakleys above too Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dp
I've had Hestra gloves for years, I've got one pair that are really worn out, but I feel I cant throw them out.
And I've got another very good pair ... I've also got some Hestra Mittens ... but I cant find them any more.

They look really cool .... but I also think they are not just cool but cold.

I got a pair of Leki gloves a couple of Christmas's ago to go with my uber tasty Leki poles which are lighter than air. Which Santa also gave me.

So now I prefer them most of the time.

I never wear straps on my poles, as that 10 seconds of phaff at both tops and bottoms of lifts really eats into your ski holiday.
If I really had the urge to attach the Trigger Gloves I could but its more phaff than straps Crying or Very sad

The only situation where I can imagine that poles need to be attached is when you get a metre of fresh snow overnight and you go and play in the powder.
This may have been relevant in the 1960's but I don't think it is now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
The only situation where I can imagine that poles need to be attached is when you get a metre of fresh snow overnight and you go and play in the powder.

Although one school of thought is that you don't want to have straps on when in powder as you could end up with the pole trapping your arm in the snow if you fall.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree with many of the above and if its an unexpected bonus treat yourself.

Leki poles with trigger straps for your favourite gloves/mittens ( family of 4 we now all have them, but don’t like the gloves with attached trigger loops)

Good googles or new sunglasses - husband just got new addidas photochromic glasses which he loves despite looking like an extra from a will smith film, he is also a fan of Oakley Prizim.

Boot Warmers - cant live without them, why did I put them off due to expense for a few years rolling eyes

Tech/Gadgets - new GoPro or accessories

Or boring things like replacing worn socks and thermals,chalet slippers, luggage, rucksacks, walking boots/shoes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:

If I really had the urge to attach the Trigger Gloves I could but its more phaff than straps Crying or Very sad

Really? I find the Trigger S system really quick and easy. I don't have Trigger S gloves, I use the hand straps but these stay over the top of my gloves (Hestra Cool ) and never get loosened or tightened.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:

Honestly - if this is the case, then you're doing it wrong. With the correct technique, clipping into the Trigger S poles requires no more effort than grabbing the pole. This is why Trigger S is good.

Quote:

This may have been relevant in the 1960's but I don't think it is now.

I clip into my poles all the time. I know many skiers deny that there is any point in this, but I do it, basically on account of being far less likely to have to walk back up a hill to go and get one after a little fall.

It also means you can do jazz hands without dropping them.
snow report
So many great ideas!!

Goggles - i have just bought a pair of Anon mig goggles with the Zeiss lenses........ can it get any better?

Gloves wise my hands are always too hot, are hestra gloves more breatable? i use black diamond glissades currently which i am perfectly happy with other than them being too warm.

I was wondering if it was time to replace my very old, very heavy fischer poles!! it might be time for a pair of Leki's!! I would never have justified the cost of them before.... maybe i should take the plunge?

Boring things like socks and thermals - this is what i probably should buy....... but wont because I'm a bloke. rolling eyes
snow report
I've always hesitated at buying expensive poles in case some thieving b*gger nicks them.

Nice to have £150 to treat yourself with though, def go with gloves or goggles which you wouldn't normally splash out on.
latest report
I have to say that I never really considered expensive poles. Then I broke one in Meribel at EOSB and the only thing I could find in the village in my size was a pair of Leki Trigger S titanium poles. And honestly I've done 7-8 weeks with them since then and they still look brand spanking new. They're much lighter and I really like the trigger system.

When it comes to people nicking poles... I'm quite protected because there's not too many people on the mountain who'd want to be using 135cm poles Very Happy But using a ski lock can also make them difficult to steal. I saw some outside a restaurant in the Dolomites where somebody had cable tied a keyring to each pole and put his ski lock through the key ring. Not infallible but probably not that many opportunists who carry some side cutters in their bag either.
snow report
Another vote for Leki trigger S poles. Fast to get into fast to get out of the carbon ones are very light.
ski holidays
Can confirm that clipping in/out of a Leki trigger S poles is lightening - fast. No slower than grabbing /letting go of a pole handle itself.
Couldn't go back to the straps system (well I could if I had to, but it would be a pain).
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@DrLawn, do you actually rate Trigger S gloves? I just have the Trigger S straps and put them over my gloves... I am yet to discover why this is less than perfect... can you enlighten me?

I use a similar setup. Leki Greenbird poles and a pair of Griffin gloves. The Griffins replaced my Hestras and I can't feel the difference - but I can get my gloves on and off easier without the Trigger S straps on top.
snow report
Eighteen of these :
latest report
Put it towards a quality lesson.
snow report
Sidas Shin Pads ~£20
ThermIC boot heaters ~ £130 ( Under toe heaters and battery packs/charger etc. )
Thermic Warm Air Boot Dryer ~ £35 ( good for any wet / damp shoe, glove etc ) Every morning, perfectly dry and warm boots to squeeze into - bliss...
Hestra Mitts ~ £100

So for me it's all about maximising Hand and Feet additional comfort...
snow report
endoman wrote:
Put it towards a quality lesson.

I was going to say Amazon don't sell lessons, but yes, man maths says get what you want on Amazon and then justify the 150 on a lesson another time - cross-subsidise!
latest report
+1 for Rose Prizm goggles.

Also points for Icebreaker base layers and Leki Trigger S straps (although could live without them, more than goog low light goggles).
snow conditions
Oakley Prizm Flight Decks
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, I guess it's a valid point being able to get your gloves on and off easily. Me personally I have multiple sets of gloves, so the straps make sense for moving between gloves.

Multiple sets of gloves: Some non-insulated Petzl belay gloves for warm/fair weather skiing, and some insulated Rossignol ones for cold days, and some very warm waterproof gloves which live with my shovel for obvious reasons.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Leki poles. I would never have spent that sort of money on a set of poles, but someone bought me a pair, probably over 10 years ago now (old style clips, pre-Trigger s). Several trips a year ever since, and they are still going strong, with just a slight bend in the end of one of them - I really wouldn't go back to straps.
ski holidays
Thank you all, I've plumped for a set of Leki's.... I hope they live up the hype.... and arrive on time Shocked
snow conditions
I would buy the best, most advanced goggles I could find. But I see you've gone for poles.

A slight digression on pole straps: besides their use for skating, they allow for a more positive pole plant in the steeps.
latest report
LDP816 wrote:
Thank you all, I've plumped for a set of Leki's.... I hope they live up the hype.... and arrive on time Shocked

Nice - but don't leave them hanging over your skis when you go into a restaurant. Mine never leave my sight.
latest report
Smith I/O Chromapop Goggles with 2 lenses (silver and rose) £150

Best purchase (so far) - Norrona Lofoten Goretex Pro Jacket - A bit more than £150 Shocked Very Happy
snow report
My boots. Dalbello Avanti 90’s. Got them for half price (£125) in the Snow and Rock summer sales last year. They are like slippers with my custom insoles. Also got my skis for half price (£219) from Snowleader in their summer sales. I like a bargain.
snow report
Pasigal wrote:

A slight digression on pole straps: besides their use for skating, they allow for a more positive pole plant in the steeps.

Tip: if you really want to effectively skate on your skis you should hold the poles halfway down and swing your arms in the style of speed skaters at the start of the race, but not as fast. if your punting along with the poles that's not skating .... that's poling. Unless your talking about that cross country or uphill stuff.

I'm not a heavy steeper so I don't know about +ve planting, I'm more of a "Dabber"
ski holidays
+1 on the Flight Decks. The mrs is just learning and she’s got my old Crowbars, pretty flat light on the second day, the sapphire lens performed better than the standard low light orange lens. What a difference.

Just gutted I spent all that dough and she got use them!
latest report
I love the Leki Trigger S, but they have some downsides. Namely, it is really awkward to adjust goggles with them on...maybe I should say impossible, and skating across the flats or herringboning with them is far less effective.
ski holidays
A monocular.

Everyone has stopped in a group on the side of the piste to try and work out which of the three routes below are the route home, but they can't go further because if it's the left one then it's too late by the time you can see the direction sign. "Never fear, I am prepared for every eventuality!" you say and whip out your monocular to read the sign from afar ... or "Is that Brian down there, or just someone with the same intensely deficient sense of colour coordination?" to which you can respond "Never fear ...."
ski holidays
I think you need to take it up a notch and get a helmet mounted monocular - how bad ass would you look in the lift line

Jokes aside - actually can see the potential use of one, especially in the BC if you're trying to pick out a line that you wont hike up.

snow conditions
Too late! But, for any ski-stats geek, I would have suggested a Suunto altimeter watch - great to log the total amount of vertical skied in a day Very Happy Great for hiking and mountain biking too.

As well as for being able to tell the time and know your altitude of course! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy