Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended Avalanche Safety Gear

Poster: A snowHead
Arno wrote:
My observation is that there is more on digging technique now than there was when I first started taking courses on this stuff (about 15 years ago). Most of my training has been in Europe

Sample of 1 so read into that what you will

There is, largely because the greatest time component in a typical rescue is digging so there is a big win if you are more efficient. However as I said above, the whole chain from route choice, to group management to S&R are considered in French club training. The result is fewer incidents with club groups.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting- as a punter who takes a course every now and then mixed with ad hoc training from guides and instructors it’s quite hard to tell whether variations of emphasis are down to the individual teachers or changing practices generally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:
Interesting- as a punter who takes a course every now and then mixed with ad hoc training from guides and instructors it’s quite hard to tell whether variations of emphasis are down to the individual teachers or changing practices generally.

There are a lot of conferences and papers where best practices are discussed - ICAR and the ISSW being the principal international ones. Representatives from the country governing bodies (FFME, ENSA etc for France) as well as trainers will attend and the information will then filter down to guides and instructors as well as via the country federations. For example the idea of "strategic shovelling" has its roots in an IKAR paper by Chris Semmel etc. from the German Alpine Club in 2005 which found its way into the English speaking world in 2008 in Bruce Edgerly's article on strategic shoveling. Before that research on how long it took to dig out buried skiers using shovels, skis, hands really highlighted the importance of this point. There is a lot of international cooperation and dissemination of information at a high level. As Ise mentioned, the AIARE are good as they have a standard syllabus that is taught where as training from (in France) the ANENA, FFME club, FFCAM club may vary somewhat as there is not a formal syllabus as such.

There is a bit of a focus on snowheads, in my opinion, on the sharp end of things: gear, avalanche rescue whereas the problem has to be viewed in the whole from trip planning, group management onwards. If you are involved in an avalanche rescue of your group or friend you've already made a big error somewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:

That's really useful feedback. Partly because you're saying what I had already concluded and I suffer from confirmation bias no less than anyone else Happy

There's a variety of issues. One of them is that is getting to be a data-centric field so we get great stuff from people Ian McCammon, Manuel Genswein and others who are engineers and comfortable with maths. That kind of data approach isn't going to work too well with all practitioners in the field who can be fairly practical hands-on people. Most of those people also aren't trained as educators and aren't always aware of the problems around communicating fairly difficult concepts. In First Aid nowadays we have to hold Education and Training qualifications but for my other qualifications, they're just about expertise in the actual field. So even when people try to communicate the same thing it doesn't always work out.

We could probably do with some more formality in search protocols and to try and ensure they're evidence-based. I'm sure it's all being noted somewhere Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:

There is a bit of a focus on snowheads, in my opinion, on the sharp end of things: gear, avalanche rescue whereas the problem has to be viewed in the whole from trip planning, group management onwards. If you are involved in an avalanche rescue of your group or friend you've already made a big error somewhere.

Sure but at least gear is something that can be fairly unambiguous - buy the gear, invest the time and education into knowing how to use it reflexively. Take time to refresh.

Avy avoidance is of course more important but very difficult to discuss in a written forum without seeing field conditions. People being honest about their own feck-ups helps of course but still is a bit of a case of "don't do what I did". But there is still a lot to speaking up in a group situation, sensible party size and definitely recognising the symptoms of powder blindness and desire to claim bragging rights etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know this is an old(ish) discussion but I just re-read it whilst trying to decide what new avi kit to buy, and I'm bumping it because I think it's incredibly useful and well worth re-reading before the winter season. Chapeau to all the contributors (even those whose info may have been "wrong" because it highlighted misconceptions of my own).

Time to go and buy a book. And book onto a refresher avi course I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And book onto a refresher avi course I think.

Been trying to look into this, near SkiWelt, Austria. Either there aren't many or my Google-fu has deserted me. Would there be any recommendations for a recently started ski-tourer that wants to do an avi course in that area?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ojilles, in the end, I booked two days with a guide who also taught avalanche courses, and explained what we wanted to get out of the days, I.e. cover the normal course material, do some good skiing, and squeeze in a half day tour.

I suspect almost any IFMGA guide should be able to do the same. We were fortunate that as a family of 4, private Guide hire was slightly cheaper than 4 places on a course - if you’re solo, this would be a pricey option.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, interesting, may need to do the same.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickT,

I would like to suggest a new product that I invented: Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue, because I am afraid of avalanches, and once, I lost a ski while skiing off-piste.
I developed this product out of a need and based on my personal skiing experience.

The Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue device can be better than a transceiver (no stacked buttons, no malfunctional electronics).
The transceiver will give you a zero point, but this might be up to 1 m (3 ft) or more from the buried person, and when you have to move 1 ton of snow to rescue the person, That Means Alive Or Not.

The product is more a service to the powder addicts community that we all are a part of it, and its price hardly covers the manufacturing costs (less than half the price of a daily ski-pass: US$ 35 including shipping).

This product will increase the chances of Surviving an Avalanche, or Finding a Lost Ski in Deep Powder.

The concept of this product incorporates 2 small pouches attached to the skiers’ legs. When the ski detaches from the Skier's boot, it will pull out a red strap highly visible.
1) In the Avalanche Rescue mode, it deploys two highly visible Red Straps 5 m' (16.4 ft) long, one strap attached to each leg, noticeable by the rescue team, that will know that at the other end of the strap, there is a buried person.
2) In the Ski Finder mode if a ski detaches from the boot while powder skiing, a highly visible Red Strap 5 m' (16.4 ft) long, trailing behind the ski, will make it easy for ski retrieval.

If you need additional information, please visit my website: https://www.ski-finder-avalanche-rescue.com
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok maybe it's time to slowly ban this "genius inventor" before he opens every single thread and posts his spam everywhere?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@primoz, "genius archaelogist" more like. I had those in the 80s. They weren't a new idea then either.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, nonono it's something completely different, and works way better then today's avi gear Laughing I mean with proper transceiver you get location to some 10-20cm, with probe to 0cm accurate, here you start shuffling by the end of 5m strap, if you are lucky enough to find that strap on top of snow anyway. Yup I would take 5m strap anytime over transceiver, especially if year wouldn't be 1950 but 2020 rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ISTR our resident former SCGB once-upon-a-time journalist is a huge proponent of powder tapes.

I'm not sure I want the rescue team looking for my skis, I'd rather they looked for me.

The advert also neglects to mention the other modes of operation;
3) Strangulation mode, where the cord wraps itself around your neck
4) Tumbling decapitation mode, where the cord wraps itself around your leg, and he whipsawing ski takes your head off
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK fellows. No need to get mad and no need to buy it.
There is a new season coming and better to look ahead.

I tested and found it good for my needs, and still believe I make a service to the powder addicted community.

So whether with my product or not: See you on the slopes
ski holidays
@Joe Axelrad, Problem is, you pop up here, more or less unknown, and pitch your wares without asking any permissions. Bit like those blokes in restaurants with crap flowers at your table. Or on the beach with sunglasses.
snow conditions
@under a new name,
Thank for your remark. My name is Joe Axelrad (proud of it).
I mentioned that I believe that this is a service to the powder addicted community, that I am part of it.

As such, and as a member of SnowHeads, I don't think that I need to ask permission if I want to post something, in a very polite way, that I believe it may be useful.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Or on the beach with sunglasses.

Laughing guess you don't have the 'right' look, those types of blokes nearly always try to sell me drugs
latest report
@Joe Axelrad, many would argue that joining a community purely to try and sell a product does not make you part of that community. You've joined today and spammed the hell out of the forum, that isn't polite at all. One thread, that's all you needed, but you've gone on a rampage dragging up any old thread which mentions avalanche safety. It is not the way to make friends and promote a product.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
You're right. I am a senior, hopefully a ripper, and rather prefer the powder than the beaches.
I apologize if people feel somewhat too "bombarded" with my comments.
The new season is coming and I truly believe it would make a service, and people won't look at it during the summer.
latest report
I have a video which might help!! It explains what I carry and why I have chosen to carry those particular items Smile

Freefloski youtube channel
3 Essential Items of Avalanche Gear

Very Happy
http://youtube.com/v/xnoo9tE-oUU
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy