Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone had Platelet Rich Plasma and Hyaluronic Acid Blend Injections?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, great news. I am also pleased to report that today, exactly one year on from beginning treatment, my knee condition is dramatically improved. I had top up PRP treatment when I finished the season, but in summary, 9 weeks skiing, no pain, no anti-inflammatories, no swelling. Immediately back to hill walking - just went out on a relatively easy 10 mile walk in the Dales last weekend, no issues. I am so grateful for the improvement. I could barely walk at the end of last season. Long may it continue for both of us, @skimottaret, ! Enjoy the summer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lynnecha, snowHead snowHead great to hear... I should note that I used anti inflammatories daily when skiing to manage swelling and I didn't get any VMO shutdowns or patella tracking problems which I used to have regularly ..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ding Ding round two.... after a course of three PRP/HA injections last year (final one in Feb 19) my knees were starting to ache a bit again and my range of movement was getting restricted so I decided to get a second opinion and see a new Consultant to review my MRI's and provide a physical exam. Decided to see Mr. Bell and he gave my quite a comprehensive initial consult and recommended another series of PRP injections. He didnt feel the addition of HA added anything other than additional cost so we went with straight PRP last week. I have been working on improving my hamstrings flexibility but my quads and calves are quite stiff (argghh) and have ignored working on those and need some physio and stretching work...

Worth noting is that in their clinics pre injection advice they say to be well hydrated to assist with your veins being easier to find as well as improving the amount of PRP within the sample. I was away for the weekend and got home on a late flight and was dehydrated (like an idiot). They ended up having to take two blood samples to get enough PRP to do both knees. As per previous shots I found a good improvement within days and have two more scheduled in the coming months. If you are getting these done drink your water campers !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimottaret, must be that time of year. I had ‘top up’ PRP injections last Monday- both knees. Still vastly improved over pre-treatment state 18 months ago. Fingers crossed and long may it continue. Best of luck to you!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, must be that time of year. I had ‘top up’ PRP injections last Monday- both knees. Still vastly improved over pre-treatment state 18 months ago. Fingers crossed and long may it continue. Best of luck to you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bit of a thread resurrection! My husband has just started prp for his knee. He had the 1st of what will be 3 treatments yesterday. Does anyone know when he will start to see improvement if it is going to work? When it has worked for others - how long did it take to have some relief?

This follows an ongoing saga of knee pain. He tore his ACL in 2012 but had it repaired with no problems since. In 2020 he tore his meniscus in same knee and had bad knee pain. He was told simple trim would sort it out and he would be 'fine' and back running in 6 weeks. He hasnt run or skied since.

A year of physio, cortisone, acupuncture, orthotics, supplements and 2 MRIs and x Ray's showing grade 1 chrondopathy, a bit of arthritis and slight varus resulted in a 'unexplained knee pain' diagnosis. He has got his leg strong again, kept his weight down and is fairly fit.

He has actually improved a bit in the last year but still has a constant ache which turns into pain if he ramps up activity- although cycling and kitesurfing is okay. But he is tired of constant ache pain and not been able to do his normal sports. Anyway, apparently he is a good candidate for prp so here is hoping!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@julietp, In my case it was generally better within a few days and a week or so at the latest. I had 6 rounds in both legs over two years and helped me quite a bit with the arthritis/meniscus/ACL damage over the years. Hope he sees similar improvement Smile

To measure improvements I would suggest he self scores himself on the Oxford Knee Score scale before injections and periodically afterwards. http://www.orthopaedicscore.com/scorepages/oxford_knee_score.html

Also one thing I didn't do a few years ago but have subsequently found helps to track progress during rehab iis to check your range of motion in each leg. Your physio can do it but you can self measure using a phone app if you are careful and get someone to help. A few years ago my knees were 93 and 105. Once you get below 100 ish walking, cycling and skiing start to become problematic and you can lose some muscle tone though not being able to work the muscles effectively
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Skimottaret, Thank you for your reply. Really helpful! Will definitely pass that advice on and it is a good idea to measure this. Pain can be so hard to quantify and when you are in pain it can just seem 'constant' with incremental improvement so hard to recognise. Will keep you posted and really hope he has a good outcome from prp too. Glad you have improved somewhat. Thanks again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi everyone, I had my first PRP injection today, one on each knee. It did not hurt at all, just pressure as the plasma went in. The Dr did it laterally. I walked 15 km immediately afterwards and it was OK (DR said I can do what I want). My question, is whether anyone has done those on the NHS (UK) or do you all do them privately. I will most certainly need a second dose, so wondering if I can go the NHS route.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlexFK wrote:
I will most certainly need a second dose, so wondering if I can go the NHS route.

Even if they are available, you'd likely be too old to need it, if NHS waiting lists are anything to go by. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
AlexFK wrote:
I will most certainly need a second dose, so wondering if I can go the NHS route.

Even if they are available, you'd likely be too old to need it, if NHS waiting lists are anything to go by. Sad

NICE produced a 64 page document detailing plenty of evidence that there is a positive effect but concluded they should not be funded. However a small number have managed to get around that by local arrangements with the PCT’s;so it’s a bit of a lottery whether they’ll be funded.
Jonathan Bell
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

NICE produced a 64 page document detailing plenty of evidence that there is a positive effect but concluded they should not be funded.

Presumably because other interventions were more cost-effective (not necessarily for knee pain, but just generally).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey there, @skimottaret! It's great to hear that your knee condition has improved significantly after the Platelet Rich Plasma and Hyaluronic Acid Blend injections. It's wonderful news that you were able to enjoy a pain-free skiing season and even went on a 10-mile walk without any issues. It's truly remarkable how PRP treatments can help with joint pain and inflammation. I've been doing some research on this and I've come across OnSite Med Spa, who provide this treatment. Apparently, it's a non-surgical and natural solution for hair loss that uses your body's own growth factors to stimulate hair growth. It's quite intriguing, and I'm thinking of trying it out myself.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 20-03-23 10:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlexFK wrote:
Hi everyone, I had my first PRP injection today, one on each knee. It did not hurt at all, just pressure as the plasma went in. The Dr did it laterally. I walked 15 km immediately afterwards and it was OK (DR said I can do what I want). My question, is whether anyone has done those on the NHS (UK) or do you all do them privately. I will most certainly need a second dose, so wondering if I can go the NHS route.

I was lucky that mine was party of a trial by a doctor for Torbay Hospital. I was effectively a guinea pig, but it cost me absolutely nothing........and completely fixed me. God knows what it would cost privately?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy