Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nevis snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As an offshoot from the Glencoe - Glenshee thread:

It used to be, 10 or 20 years ago, that anytime I visited the Scottish resorts during the season I could expect the main runs to be open (unless the resort was closed by storms). Of course the quality of snow is another matter. Boiler plate was the norm, in my experience.*
However I have kept an eye on Nevis Range this year and last and, unless there was some early good snow, when I wasn't looking, most of the runs have been closed all season.
In particular the back-bowl, which I think is the best skiing there. I haven't seen the Braveheart lift (and Great Glen access chairlift to it) marked as open at all. Has it been possible to ski the back?
The 3 lifts at the back were a major new investment to open up the back to skiers not able to ski the steep top part. I don't know if they have had any use. Has anyone been able to use them?

*However my first experience of Scottish skiing was very different. I arrived just as the Nevis Range opened after several days closed by snowstorms. I made the first tracks down the back in deep powder! Sensational. Of course the experience was never repeated but it coloured my view of Scottish skiing for many years, bringing me back several times.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My main skiing in Scotland was done back in the 1970s on Cairngorm. Snow was consistently dependable from winter to winter, though coverage didn't always extend to the carpark. In the years I skied there, I doubt if I experienced more than 5 true 'powder days', and bad weather regularly closed down the mountain or made conditions miserable. But the spirit and enthusiasm carried everyone along on a tide of adrenaline. They were heady times.

It's hard to believe that the Scottish snow crisis has been wholly due to climate change, and may be the result of a freaky run (albeit now a decade, on and off) of poor winters. Let's hope that the luck turns.

We know little of Nevis's financial position compared to Cairngorm, Glenshee and Glencoe but hopefully they can keep those chairs in working order to capture those special days. I've never skied that legendary back bowl, but maybe one day...

The irony about Scottish skiing is that the ski area with the least challenging terrain and most modest vertical - The Lecht - seems to have been offering the most days' skiing. It's certainly doing great service for novices and intermediates, and generating new enthusiasm for the sport.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowball- I skied that Back Corries at the Nevis Range about 3 years ago and the Braveheart Chair wasn't open then. We had to do the full circuit to get around there.

If you have a look on the winterhighland site, they were skiing Easy Gully last month....but not all the way down. Note the interesting pitons they are roping on to!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kit Wong, Gosh. That looks a serious day out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great photos, Kit, despite the fog. For those who haven't twigged, Easy Gully is ironic. You always have to do a small jump down onto a steep slope.
To find the main back-bowl you you go half left at the top of the summit lift. For Easy Gully you go slightly right.
Well, I'm glad the back got skied, even if the lifts didn't run there. You had it to yourselves, which used to be part of the fun. (For those who haven't been: you just have to do a long traverse left around the mountain to get to the lifts at the front again.)
Mind you, 3 years ago was a good year for snow if I remember. I wonder if it was skied this year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I skied the back at Nevis there wern't any lifts there, you had to jump in anywhere and the ski-ing was great. David Goldsmith, The Lecht is great. Every skier should ski it - winter and summer (large amount of dendix laid straight onto the hill with folds and so on to catch you out). Good for them - on an icy day I would call it challenging even if it's not steep!

My Dad remembers that in 1947 his friend (Bill Beaumont?) tried to open a ski school in Kingussie, but it didn't snow at all all winter. Let's hope the last few years are just a freak, but I'm afraid it's not that. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, According to my mum 1947 was the worst (or best) winter she has ever seen, although she did live in Hampshire.
She regulary regales us with tales of 10' snow drifts and having to eat the family cat (ok I made the last bit up) but Kingussie must have been unlucky.
BTW my cat is more likely to eat me in times of famine, she's a monster.

Stephen.
snow report
 brian
brian
snowball wrote:
For those who haven't twigged, Easy Gully is ironic.

Nothing like reawakening a 3 month old thread for a spot of pedantry rolling eyes

It's called Easy Gully because it's an easy ice climb !

I don't think the Braveheart opened at all last season, which is a great shame because the skiing over there is truly sensational. I believe they've even replaced the lift engine now. When they first put the lift in (it's a double seater chair they got 2nd hand from somewhere in Italy) the damn thing broke down every 15 mins or so. One day I was there they had to load every other chair because it couldn't cope fully loaded !

I mind going up there one midweek day and heading over the back after they told me at the bottom that it might run. For about an hour and a half there was just me and the liftie, with untracked if slightly windslabbed powder. Superb Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, the Braveheart Chair didn't operate mainly because the cover wasn't consistent right down to the loading point. That didn't stop people skiing/boarding the back corries though, the best day for the back corries I think being the 17th January. Just look at those cornices Shocked Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy