Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel - Resort Info

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going for a long weekend to Kitzbuhel. Any ideas on what to do, where to go and what to avoid??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a great place to have fun. Skiing around the Horn is easier than the Hahnenkahm. Depending where you're staying it could be a hike to the lifts. Access to the Hahnenkahm is excellent if you're staying in the 2 star Montana which is close by. There's more nightlife than Trafalgar Square so you shouldn't be short of a thing of two to do.

If time is short it's perhaps not a good idea to waste time messing around getting up tp Pass Thurn; in fact you could do the 'safari' route which is a generally efficient tour of the main areas, including the rather interesting Steinbergkogel.

Once you've been to a resort like this you do wonder what on earth possesses people to visit monstrosities like Tignes, Flaine, Les Menuires, etc.......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going next week and started a simlair thread a few days ago.

http://www.snowheads.co.uk/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13703
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There don't seem to be any real bottlenecks these days, although the Silberstube chair is a bit busy at the end of the day, but I don't think that you can avoid it (which is why it's busy, I suppose). The Griesalm chair on the way to Pengelstein can be busy, in which take case take the Ehrenbachhohe chair, ski down Sonnenrast 18 and take the Jufenalm chair.

Take the 3S gondola. It's a pleasant trip, and there's some enjoyable skiing at the other side of it. If the snow is poor (it's good at the moment), head for Pass Thurn.

There few challenging pistes; Diretissima 38 is steep, but wide and usually flat. Ochsalm 43 and Hochsaukaser 55 are fun, but not difficult.

The runs down into Kitzbuhel from the Hahnenkamm are not very exciting, although one is The Streif, and so has to be done (the nasty bits are missed out, although you can do them as 'extreme ski routes' if you wish). Asten 20 often has crap snow, even when everywhere else is good, but when the snow is good on it, it's the best run down. Alternatively, have a couple of beers in the Hahnenkammstuberl and take the gondola down (my preferred option).

Don't use the ski buses unless you have to, the service is crap. There are taxis hanging about at the major bus stops, use them.

If you haven't chosen accomodation, go for something within walking distance of the Hahnenkammbahn (I assume that you're a skier; if you're a boarder, you may prefer the Kitzbuheler horn). There are loads of good restaurants up the mountain (I particularly like the terrace at Bruggeralm, by Talsen 61). In the town, if you fancy Italian, il Gusto gets my vote. For traditional Austrian grub, the Huberl Stubli (or possibly Stubli Huberl, who knows?) on the main street and the Landhausl are good, and there are loads of others. Don't have the curry in La Fonda (which is otherwise OK).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for the input
Due the carnival I had great difficulty in finding a hotel in the town. I ‘ve booked a room in near Aurach “GASTHOF HECHENMOOS”. Is it any good?

I also plan to do some night skiing and the only place that does that on Sat night is Soll. Does it worth going there on sat night?

Alternatively I am looking for some tobogganing at night. Does anyone done that in the area?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carnival? how long is that for? im staying at hotel Tyrol from march 3rd
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hotel Tyrol is Neilsens. We have stayed there 3 times and love the place. It is pretty basic and doesn't have much sitting space except for the smoky bar and the rooms are restricted by the need to fit them with plastic plumbing boxes. (unless you are lucky enough to get 110 or 210 that have huge bathrooms). Balconies overlook the two churches.

The staff, like most Neilsens staff are very enthusiastic and hard working. Reinhart, the manager, is a delightful guy. The food has always been excellent. You can walk to both main lift stations, 5 minutes to the Horn, maybe 10 to the Hahnenkamm. It is a great ski town. love it. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dimitri, the disadvantage of Aurach is that it doesn't have any lifts (nearby Jochberg does, but they don't take you directly to the 'main' skiing), although you can ski down to it (a bit of poling is needed). If you're going for a weekend, I assume that you'll hire a car, in which case you can easily head up to Pass Thurn or into Kitzbuhel, or beyond to the Fleckalmbahn or Pengelstein I (I wouldn't bother with the Maierl chairs in Kirchberg to start your day).

I don't know what Aurach is like, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some jolly places to eat and drink. If carnival is on the go in Kitzbuhel, that'll be the place to be in the evening.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I belive the Carnaval is this weekend, and all the hotels and appartments in kitzbuhel that I've called are fully booked. I will have a car and it looks that I have no option than to use it. Should I start from Kitz or Fleckalmbahn? Puzzled Puzzled
Thanks all for the input, this place looks to be the one to be !! Shocked snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go for the Fleckalmbahn or Pengelstein I. There's more parking at these than at the Hahnenkammbahn, and you won't have to worry about traffic in Kitzbuhel centre, although you'll pass through the outskirts (it's a biggish place by ski town standards). The runs back down to Fleck and Peng are pleasanter than those back down to Kitzbuhel. You could drive to Jochberg and use the 3S gandola to get to the 'main' skiing. I've no idea what parking is like in Jochberg, and you'd have to get back there at the end of the day.

Kitzbuhel is a very jolly place, on and off the snow, and pretty. The snow was great last week, and should be good this w/e by the look of it.

I've no idea what the night skiing in Soll is like. My only experience of night skiing means that I wouldn't cross the road to do it again never mind drive from Kitzbuhel to Soll, but who knows?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevin mcclean wrote:

Once you've been to a resort like this you do wonder what on earth possesses people to visit monstrosities like Tignes, Flaine, Les Menuires, etc.......

I stayed there one month ago, and skied Kitzbuhel 2 days. Every time that I spend some days in Austria I think the same (and for me French Alps are nearer, I live in Catalonia)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dimitri, by the way, a warning. The slopes will be very busy at carnival, and full of prats wearing glitter wigs, clown costumes and so on. These can induce nausea in some skiers. If it's really busy, you could either head for Pass Thurn, which should be quieter, or see what one of the nearby Ski Welt resorts looks like. There is now a gondola from the Kirchberg valley to Westendorf; I wouldn't recommend it if you have only 2 or 3 days in Kitzbuhel, but if K is busy it might be worth a look.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dimitri, we've been to Kitz during carnival and it was only busy for one day - their version of a bank holiday. Even then we didn't encounter massive queues, only on the chair from the bottom of the black runs on the way up to Penglestein. THere is a bit of a bottle neck there. As richmond said, head over to Jochberg and Pass Thurn and it will be quieter, but you might be better off starting out from Jochberg rather than trying to ski over from Kitzbuhel to avoid any congestion. The nightlife in Kitz will be worth a look though!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy