Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere v Val Cenis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book a trip for new year 2018/19. Want to go somewhere new and debating between these two. 4 adults all good skiers with 4 children ages 5-13. A good ski school is really important. All offers of advice greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to both resorts with my children and would pick La Rosiere for New Year week. The la rosiere ski schools (ESF and ESI) have a good reputation and your children would be more likely to be in an English speaking group than in Val Cenis. I also preferred the la Rosiere ski area which, if you include the Italian side, is more extensive than that of Val Cenis. They are also planning to open some new runs in La Rosiere itself next season.

Val Cenis is all north facing so I would imagine it doesn't get much sun early season..it is a better option for late March/early April, when la rosiere might be getting slushy (being south facing).

One thing to bear in mind with La Rosiere is that if your children are in ski school you will not have that long to ski in la thuile before heading back for ski school pick up. It would not be easy for young children or those in the early ski school stages to ski over to la thuile as they would need to be able to ski a red and take the two long drag lifts. However they would have plenty of runs to do on the La Rosiere side in the afternoons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have also skied both with children and would echo the above comments about the likelihood of English speaking ski school (and other English skiers, though that doesnt bother me) and the aspect of Val Cenis slopes. Personally I prefer the Val Cenis area purely for the way all the slopes funnel back to the valley road as they are on the same face of the mountain, making it easier at the end of the day wherever you finish. I have never been in New Year but would expect LR to be the busier of the two, with the link back and forth from La Thuile the busiest.
I would choose to go back to VC before LR but strangely I would go to La Thuile before Val Cenis (better slopes than La Ros side and better, cheaper mountain restaurants if you are stuck on one side only)
But I would choose Valmeinier over both, another off track place I took my kids in school holidays to save money......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks. Decision day is tomorrow so of anyone else has any views please be quick!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scongie, So which resort did you book? snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went with Val cenis in the end. Always like trying new places and the price was right!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scongie, Val Cenis is a lovely place to ski and hope you have a great time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. Will post a trip report after the event. Shame there's so long to wait!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad you have booked. Val Cenis is certainly good value in terms of lift pass as well as accommodation. It has also had good early season snow in recent years. Hope you have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy