Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap 2019 flights (inc Feb half term) for those who go more than once

Poster: A snowHead
@NickyJ, fair point, it varies a lot by route. LGW GVA it was about £40 more expensive for fully flex return vs 14 day advance (which itself was the same as 90 day advance). “All London” to GVA is a lot more expensive to go fully flex, I guess because the flight frequency to Heathrow is so much greater.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gazzza wrote:
It does look a good deal in principle.

What happens in the event a flight is cancelled. Assume you have to seek a refund from Optiontown not BA ?

But then do then optiontown refund you cash or re-credit you the flights - but then you may not be able to reuse your re-credited flights within your booking window and you could end up having paid for flights you couldn't use ?

An update on this- I've just had a flight moved from 13.10 to 15.00 so I called BA to see what other options I had.

Despite my original flight pass being LGW-GVA only, BA was happy to move me to a convenient LHR-GVA outbound and GVA-LCY back. The call centre staff could do everything that they could with a conventional ticket and there was no need to revert to Optiontown. These flights are currently about £500 return.

Bit of a result all round!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice @snowdave,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had email cancelling our Friday 3rd April flights Sad. Need to phone to rebook. Pretty sure our car hire can be adjusted, looks like there is an afternoon flight so will ask to move to that. Can’t seem to do it online
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same for mine, I couldn’t do it online and initially there was a bit of debate about how I’d booked the ticket. Rather than saying “through a travel agent” I said “I used the ba flightpass on the ba website” which is true (ba.com/flightpass).

Bear in mind that if your flight has been cancelled, or changed by more than 2 hrs, you can now choose almost any rerouting option within 2 weeks and 300miles of your original dates and airports. This is standard BA policy that I’ve used many times to my benefit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowdave wrote:
Same for mine, I couldn’t do it online and initially there was a bit of debate about how I’d booked the ticket. Rather than saying “through a travel agent” I said “I used the ba flightpass on the ba website” which is true (ba.com/flightpass).

Bear in mind that if your flight has been cancelled, or changed by more than 2 hrs, you can now choose almost any rerouting option within 2 weeks and 300miles of your original dates and airports. This is standard BA policy that I’ve used many times to my benefit.

Thanks - wondering about switching to GVA from LHR to get morning flights? I am 90% sure we have free cancellation on the car hire which is already booked and Geneva is about 5-10mins closer. Will do a bit more research before calling them. Thanks for the heads up!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, as long as you call during the daytime and get the Newcastle call centre, you should find them very helpful. If you call late evening and the call is answered elsewhere, you may find them less helpful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just thought they haven’t candles our return legs... if I switch to LHR - GVA, they I need to return to be GVA to LHR as well, is that also allowable under their policy?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:

This is the message I get:

Your flight BA 2576 Gatwick (London) Terminal S - Turin on Fri 03 Apr 2020, 07:15 has been cancelled

We apologise for the cancellation of your flight(s).

You may rebook the cancelled flight(s) and other flights in your booking free of charge, subject to availability.
You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking.
To re-book or refund please call us.
To re-book the cancelled flight(s) to an alternative destination please contact your original booking agent. This may require additional payment

So looks like switching to Geneva to maintain a morning flight isn’t a possibility. So my only option is to end up landing at 16:30 in Turin nicely catching Friday evening rush!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, if you have a definite plan which suits you worked out, always worth giving them a call. They seem to be far more flexible if you offer them a solution which works. and the call centre is definitely more flexible than the website.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, I got the same message but call centre was fine - I'm pretty sure that BA has a 300-mile allowance for changing airport, and Geneva is << 300 miles from Turin.

When I changed my outbound to LHR-GVA (was LGW GVA) I asked if I could change the return as well so that we weren't left with a car in the wrong place, and BA was fine with that, hence managing to get the GVA LCY flight home.

As @Alastair, says, if you give BA a clear plan of which flights you want (i.e. go onto BA.com and pick the precise ones you prefer), then the staff are usually happy to oblige. They said to me "we've inconvenienced you with this, so it's our job to find you the best outcome" which is a refreshing approach.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowdave, that’s encouraging- given the additional cost of getting to La Thuile from Geneva I am also wondering if I contact the accommodation provider and see if we can reduce the booking to 7 days (without loosing out) switch to a Saturday morning out bound flight - then we can buy the 7 day return tunnel ticket. Kids won’t miss the half day of school on the Friday (both schools finish at lunchtime that day).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not going well for me. I phoned the number on the email +442032500145

There they agreed to switch to the different airports, but when they came to do it, found they were unable to do so and told me I had to phone option town on 02033183548

I phone option town who told me I had to forward my email to the customer care email address to “validate the status of the flight” and I should get a response within 3 hrs. I am waiting for that.

Snowdave did you call that same number? Or a different one?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, I called the gold line, but in this situation that shouldn't have changed the outcome; I was within "normal" policy. It's probably worth re-dialing the call centre to get another agent - the BA teams have varying skill levels so you might find someone who can handle it better.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Were yours the freedom tickets (change to 4hrs in advance jobbies?

As the issue seems to be the system does not let any modifications
snow conditions
Oh and they have not responded with 3hrs as promised!
snow report
snowdave wrote:
It's probably worth re-dialing the call centre to get another agent - the BA teams have varying skill levels so you might find someone who can handle it better.

Bizarrely for a major outfit this seems to be the case. One agent can declare a rerouting impossible while another agent will thank you for the suggestion. BA need to refine their standards - basing them on their best (exceptional) not their worst (incompetent).

A direct example of this that I experienced was a flight to the US West Coast via DUB, JFK and American Airlines to LAS. First Agent (with a heavily Asian Accent) told me that rerouting was impossible and my only option was to cancel the flight. The second agent (with a Geordie accent) listened to my suggestion, took a few minutes to see if she was allowed to make the changes, and rerouted me as suggested, allocating seats that wouldn't have been available using Avios, the basis of my original booking.

No racism intended or implied - simply that the non-UK call centres work to a script, while the Newcastle call centre is staffed by experienced and helpful people who give the impression of being on your side. They have never let me down, even when arranging a short notice flight change and priority security access at Geneva airport after the local BA rep effectively told me to get lost. I even got an apology for not having time to enjoy the lounge, which I didn't want anyway.
latest report
The two agents I spoke to both agreed my suggested alternative was suitable and acceptable. The issue is because they are re Flightpass tickets they are unable to make the booking changes.

I am wondering if myself and Snowdave have different ticket types which meant they were able to implement it or if there is some work around possible that neither the people I spoke to were aware of.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, yes I was freedom, but BA agent didn’t know that, she was working off the standard procedure. I’ve probably had a dozen BA flights get retimed in the past couple of years and its always the same procedure. Once your original flight is cancelled they can do almost anything with the ticket.

If you’ve not tried redialling, it’s definitely worth another shot (or two!) and see if you get a more skilled agent. 630-730am is a good time in my experience.
ski holidays
@snowdave, I can try.... they were perfectly willing. I suspect the freedom tickets are flagged / tagged slightly differently on the system which allows them to have done what they did whereas for both the people I spoke to the system was just now allowing them to change it.... however will try early tomorrow.

Edit to confirm I have already tried twice
snow report
snowdave wrote:

If you’ve not tried redialling, it’s definitely worth another shot (or two!) and see if you get a more skilled agent. 630-730am is a good time in my experience.

From the sounds of things, a decent Newcastle BA agent should sort things for you in minutes. However if your ticket is marked as issued by a travel agent this may prevent them from doing the obvious. At which point, point out to them that it's their mess up and their problem. Ask them to sort their problem and see what they say.
ski holidays
The response to my email finally came through about 9pm asking to setup a call time with me. I offered anytime between 7am and 12:00. They finally called me at about 11:00. I have convinced her what the issue is... she is now raising my request with the technical team but high lights this may not be possible. I am on hold waiting for a ref number. Hmmmm
snow report
Prompt email confirmation of call being logged with this message:

Quote:
Dear Guest,

Thank you for contacting Optiontown.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

As per the telephonic conversation we would like to inform you that we have forwarded your request and will get this resolved. We shall revert as soon as the needful is done.

Not entirely impressed that I couldn’t properly log this until now 22hrs after phoning them up!
ski holidays
Further research has shown another viable (IMO) option of LGW to BGY out on 3rd and then return as originally booked from Turin.

Yes this increases our hire car costs by £40 AND increases the tolls and fuel costs, plus pushes us over my normal transfer limit of 2.5hrs. However does save us the cost of parking at Heathrow (Gatwick is free for us courtesy of my parents house). So I have responded to Fridays email with the confirmation of my case number, with this suggestion. An hour or so later I this response:
Quote:

Dear Guest,

We would like to inform you that we are checking with Airline for the best resolution that we may offer you and will update you once the needful is done.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Not really feeling understanding as within 10mins of my call to BA I had an agreed acceptable option on Thursday... I contacted optiontown on Thursday and we are now Sunday and still nothing sorted!
snow report
Finally have a “response”

Quote:
Dear Guest,

We would like to inform you that we have checked the records and found that alternate flight is available on 04th April (BA2576/04th April).So, you can accordingly proceed further to book it as per your travel plans.

I have responded to say this isn’t acceptable, I have already paid for accommodation from the Friday and as per my EU Air passenger rights, I am requesting a re-route. And back to waiting. They keep declining to take up my request to contact me via phone on the emails I have sent as well.
snow report
There response:

Quote:
Dear Guest,

We would like to inform you that as per flight pass rules sector change it not allowed on a confirmed booking, However, you can choose any alternate flight or can contact BA for alternate arrangement.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

I will call BA as soon as I get into the office this morning, and try again with them.

As I understand from this:

https://europa-eu.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/indexamp_en.htm?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#compensation-cancellation

I have a legal right for what I am asking for irrespective of the nature of the ticket?
snow report
@NickyJ, it may be worth emphasising to ba that you bought the ticket from ba.com/flightpass. This might make it more like their problem to solve vs the agent’s.
snow conditions
BA have sorted “as an exception”.

Initially insisted my destination had to be Turin, so to stay travelling on the 3rd, I could only do it as a flight to Madrid and then connecting flight from Madrid (which had been offered to me before but got us in really late and takes a very long time).

I pushed the point that I have had this and the accommodation booked for 6months or so, that yes what I was asking for increases by costs but not as much as the amount of a losing for the the nights accommodation we would be unable to use and that not losing out on a day and a half of our holiday was worth me paying those extra transfer costs.

So in answer to who ever asked “what happens with a cancellation”, you have a fight on your hands if all flights on that day are cancelled and you want to travel on that same day - Risk of this I guess depends on route - GVA has so many flights in a day for example all through the year or if you are flying out of LHR there are lots more flights.

But you can get it sorted, and you need to do the research and get creative!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, glad you got it sorted.

Poor show from BA; what you asked for and it has (eventually!) given sounds like it's within the normal rerouting rules, so it shouldn't have made the whole process so tiresome.
ski holidays
wizz air - 24 hour sale
snow conditions
A quick update- a mate used the flight pass for him and daughter for a NY trip and decided he’d like to do a Feb half term trip. Despite the trip now costing nearly £1k per person return, and only 2 seats left on one of the flights, he was able to book without problem.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy