Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS technology on piste...

Poster: A snowHead
I have tomtom mobile 5.0 on my smartphone and a portable bluetooth module. Works great in the car or on foot, but I'm wondering if there is a plug-in or programme anyone knows of that will record distance travelled, top speed, etc... that I can use in a few weeks' time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, you can check it out on Epic (www.epicski.com) where a few people use Garmins, etc for that. I wouldn't rely on it for speed accuracy, and if you are really going for the speed route, then I would tell you to be very careful about safety - particularly of those sharing the slopes with you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good grief - "speed" in my book is feeling a light breeze on my face! I'm not going to try the flying kilometre on my trusty snowboard! I'm into caving (or at least trying to when conditions allow!) not all out balls-flapping eye-watering speed, trust me!

I'm going in a big group of 20 or so and would just be interested to see the kind of distance we end up travelling in a day, the sorts of speeds (even if only 30 kph) reached and the altitudes and so on... nothing else!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was extensive discussion on the Equipment section on GPS if you do a search - including some neat stuff people were doing uploading data on to Google Earth....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi.

I have a Tom Tom bluetooth GPS receiver I use with my Ipaq. I use Memory Map, I'm not sure if you can use memory map on a smartphone?

I used the GPS all last week in Canada and was able to log all my tracks for the whole week (how sad is that!!!)

286 miles covered, 154,000ft of vertical desent. Great fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carled,

I tried out the Navman A300 last week at AlpeD'huez. Tells you nothing useful regarding WHERE you are, but is quite fun with info on distance covered (70Kms in 3 days) altitude, and max speed recorded. The best I did was 65 Km/hr on a schuss down a green run chasing my 16 year old daughter. I guess I won't be in the running for the next olympics, but it felt pretty fast to me Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=48620097

This was produced by Memory Map and a Tom Tom Blue tooth GPS
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Garmin 76CS that is a lot of fun to play with. You can record data and plot it back including elevation, position, bearing, average speed on a leg between position points. I just updated the Mapsource software, and now I can overlay my tracks on Google Earth. I have to warn you that the temptation to go straight down the fall line on your slalom skis without making any turns just to see how fast you can go on a little hill is pretty strong (not that anyone will believe you). http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cs/spec.html.

It also works as an automotive GPS so you can find your way to the ski hill Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I've already got a Garmin Pilot III that I use in the car and for flying but it's a bit bulky for skiing and eats batteries. So i was thinking about getting a Navman A300 for the distance and speed stats, and I quite like the arm strap idea. But i think if I'm using GPS it might as well tell me where we are if we ever witness an accident or get temporarily unsure of position (How we describe being lost when flying).

AxsMan, does the Navman A300 not give you any data about location? Can't you even read off co-ordinates like the earlier hand held gps?

Would I be better just buying any small hand held gps and making an arm strap from a phone pouch, especially as the e-trex supposedly runs for 22 hrs on 2 AAs?

Thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For MS Smartphone and PDA I use GPSDash - www.gpsdash.com

For MS, Symbian 60 and SE P900 smartphones - www.vitotechnology.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure about TomTom devices, which I think are primarily aimed at navigation.
For Garmin handheld devices, in theory, you can just turn the thing on, get lock, and ski/board all day. Then download to GPX file to laptop, then view in tool of your choice. Should be able to see things like total distances, altitude changes (best to calibrate barometric altimeter first). Drag+drop the GPX file to Google Earth for a visual rendering (but the satellite/aerial images of resorts I've looked at are total pants).
In practice, the batteries might give up at lunchtime, especially if weather is too cold.
Tempted to take mine this year, to record the PdS circuit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
why would you need GPS on the piste Puzzled Puzzled leave the tech gear and 'normal' life behind and enjoy nature at its best Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, are you suggesting skiing al fresco Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, dont be stupid,i always carry a hat with me Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WayneC, Nope not a sausage!, Just speed, distance travelled, the sort of stuff you would get from a pedometer (if you could use one while skiing) Very Happy Ghost's Garmin sounds interesting I have a garmin nuvi 360 in the car and it's the dogs dangly bits. Very Happy

EDIT: Just checked out the Garmin site and this model looks interesting, anyone tried it?

http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex201/

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 30-10-06 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
AxsMan, I've got a TomTom 910, plays music, gets the weather forecast and reads incoming text messages aloud Shocked Oh, it tells you where to go as well and it knows where the nearest Burger King is Toofy Grin
snow report
</Homer mode on> Mmmm, burger king Wink
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, Ah but does it translate text phrases like 'can I have Mayonaise with my chips please' into 7 languages, act as a bluetooth hands free kit for your phone, and will it play your mp3 toonz at the same time? (and killer question for Tom Tom users), does it slip into your pocket without causing unsightly bulges? Shocked
latest report
BT yes, MP3 yes (20G HD), will also control an iPod (but I haven't got one), translation no and it is quite chunky.
snow report
Daft thing is the Garmin has NO headphone socket!!!, otherwise it's just about perfect. The 660 is even more flash with the digital radio traffic monitor built in. the 360 has an optional external cable antenna for that. Works though. if traffic gets bad on the route ahead it warns you and offers to route round it.
ski holidays
get skido from http://www.sportsdo.net/

works great
ski holidays
I use a Garmin etrex vista C - v.good battery life but the memory only catches 3 days of skiing. Good solid bit of kit & waterproof Cool
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
why would you need GPS on the piste Puzzled Puzzled leave the tech gear and 'normal' life behind and enjoy nature at its best Madeye-Smiley

Quite right ! I guess it takes all kinds to make a ski forum wink
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:

So no carving skis, goretex, or conformable boots for you then! Very Happy

If it wasn't for the high tech, I (for one) probably wouldn't be there. I'm pretty sure I couldn't ski on the old wooden planks, and I KNOW I couldn't walk to the alps. Laughing

(Comfy, fast 8 man lifts are good too wink )
snow conditions
GPS off piste sounds more useful.
Lost, somewhere far from any piste in a white-out (assuming you had a 1:25,000 map, as I usually do).

Radios or mobile phones are really useful too. For example if the guide goes on out of sight to check out the safety of an area ahead, or the group gets split up skiing in the trees, or someone takes a wrong gulley etc etc.
snow conditions
WayneC, I tried a Garmin Pilot III on the piste last season - left the aerial sticking out of my top pocket. Came up with a highly dubious top speed, but drew a reasonable map of where I had been. Another time I think I would want a removable aerial as I think it was getting confused with loss of signal from time to time.
snow report
snowball, ....even better if off piste and someone comes a cropper and needs to be airlifted out. ....get in touch with rescue services and not be able to give position..... Embarassed I carry a Garmin Map60 type mainly for that very purpose, but also a bit of navigating. I am waiting for a French Alpes Topo map, 1:25,000 that I have bought. That should expand its navigating usage greatly as most Garmin maps are US, Canada & UK based.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
GPS off piste sounds more useful.
Lost, somewhere far from any piste in a white-out (assuming you had a 1:25,000 map, as I usually do).

Radios or mobile phones are really useful too. For example if the guide goes on out of sight to check out the safety of an area ahead, or the group gets split up skiing in the trees, or someone takes a wrong gulley etc etc.

I agree.

I did some light backcountry at another resort last year (without map or local knowledge). All forest land and valley, but had use or continual assement of bearing, and most importantly height via barometirc reading on my watch.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daehwons wrote:
get skido from http://www.sportsdo.net/

works great

daehwons The Sportsdo looks good, and it makes sense to make use of all that technology going spare in my mobiles. But it would mean attaching a separate gps antenna to my mobile and having my mobile turned on Sad Did find a Small pocket sized sat rx (64 x 22 x 15 mm) from clove .
Also not sure about using the mobile as I don't particularly want to get away from tech gear like Chris Brookes but don't want to receive any calls on the mountain. How much does the software cost? I can't find out from the website. And won't you have expensive calls back to the uk to upload the stuff to their web application?

AxsMan I really like the look of the fortrex201 but £130 is a bit too much to spend on another gps.

Thanks everyone, I might just buy loads of batteries for my pilot III! wink
snow report
According to one of the Sunday supplements last w/e, Meribel (I think) will rent you some dsor tof GPS gadget for a ridiculous sum (£!6/day?) whcih will give you various bits of info about your day (presumably starting with 'That's £16 less you have to sped in the bar this evening, sucker.').
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy