Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I've found a couple of good deals for the Easter holidays, 6th April, and my question is will the whole resort still be in operation or does the resort tend to start closing lifts? Obviously this will be dependent on conditions but generally does the resort stay open including the bars and restaurants etc? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ArlbergMeister, I think SkiWest do daily rentals, they are on Alte Arlbergerstrasse, they are just after the Bergheim up from the roundabout by the Rendlbahn base.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidthornton, Thank you! Will check with them!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RedorDead, Officially the "main" season ends on the 5th, from the 6th to 21st is called "Sonnenskiwochen" ie sunny ski weeks, the lifts are planned to run until the 28th. Until the 21st all the ski buses etc will be running, it should be prime time for all the restaurants and apres bars (think lounging around in the sun until around 19:00 maybe even a bit later) but the ski passes are a bit cheaper. Some of the lower pistes might get closed, though with Easter being so late this year, if the conditions are good (with the amount of snow currently lying around the prognosis is good though who knows what conditions will be like 2.5 months hence) then most of the resort will be open. You are likely to find typical spring conditions, some days with snow fall but many sunny days, ski up until early afternoon before the snow turns to sugar.

It is always a bit of a lottery with the weather but the chances are this would be a good time to turn up in St Anton.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedorDead, Easter is late this year April 21st

@munich_irish, Most Apres Ski Huts on the Hill will be already be closed by Easter except Mooserwirt
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RedorDead, I've skied the Arlberg late season for a number of years. This year I plan to go out there for the week starting 13th April. As Mr Munich Irish says, the pistes should be okay, maybe a bit "suggery" by midday low down, but places like Schindler, Valluga, Zurs, should be typical spring conditions. BTW, the crowds have gone, nice leisurely lunches, Aperol Spritzes at the Hotel Kone in Lech, and shopping at Strolz's sale. What's not to like?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/ipiAv7g8qtc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ulmerhutte wrote:
dafus wrote:
Is there any chance Steissbachtal will be open again in this season?

There is always a chance, but I suspect it is slim. There are significant glide cracks on the slopes below Schindlerkar and smaller cracks toward Mattun. Unless they can be stabilised, Steissbachtal will likely stay closed. Similar to last year.

I got back yesterday from a great Snoworks week in St Anton.

Just to add to your post, they have created a snow barrier, maybe a couple of feet or more high all across the piste, at the top above where you drop into Happy Valley, to try and deter people as well as the warning signs. One of the Arlberg Ski School guides who led us said that the glide cracks are as unpredictable as seracs and could go at anytime day or night in either warm or cold conditions. He reckoned they could cause a depth of five metres or more should they go, so I doubt if Steissbachtal will be open soon.

Our guide said that he thought there may be a law soon, whereby people who get into trouble in closed areas will be charged for their rescue even if they are insured for off piste skiing.

He went on to say that what I think he called the local Avalanche Commision were very strict about where guides can go. That was backed up by someone in our group who said that when skiing with an Arlberg Ski School guide a couple of years ago, they were stopped by a patroller who gave the guide a right old talking to and threatened to report the guide officially. It seems that the Arlberg Ski School is not as all powerful as I had previously thought.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
@DanFuller, the Osthang ski route runs along the right hand side of the blue piste from Galzig to the Osthang chair (the first part is basically piste). Just before you get to the bottom of the piste (the chair lift is in the opposite corner) the route goes right, there are a couple of ski route signs plus the usual red diamonds. Initially all very straight forward then turns into reasonably steep mogul field. It is not too long and ends up on the Zamermoos piste, if this is the usual carnage best go right past the service building, the ski route continues through the trees. This is no more than a track which ends up just above the Mooserwirt but is often more pleasant than the piste.

Thank you. Greatly appreciated
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@richjp, last year, they did more than just that barrier. There were a series of berms built across the valley floor, all the way down Steissbachtal, which would have been high enough to stop Rommel (but not determined freerider run poachers).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richjp wrote:

He went on to say that what I think he called the local Avalanche Commision were very strict about where guides can go. That was backed up by someone in our group who said that when skiing with an Arlberg Ski School guide a couple of years ago, they were stopped by a patroller who gave the guide a right old talking to and threatened to report the guide officially. It seems that the Arlberg Ski School is not as all powerful as I had previously thought.

That is correct.

If you want to ski off piste do it out of the Ski Area ..

Doing it in the resort area in closed areas you risk huge fines HUGE...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
This season has seen a huge increase in numbers of North Americans returning to The Arlberg after some years away..I know of at least 3 large groups (20-40 people) here now who have rented entire Hotels

Dollar must be strong Very Happy

Either that or the Euro is weak wink

I almost pulled the trigger to hit up Europe this winter. Pricing for airfare, lodging and meals was comparable to what I'm paying to do a week at Aspen/Snowmass. The only difference is in the travel time, which is about 23 hours more each way. I guess I'll find out in a month if I chose the wrong location in terms of snow accumulation during the ski week! Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@richjp Great info, thanks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remaining Wintery Cold (mornings very cold) this week.. Perfekt Ski Conditions..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Notwithstanding this year's glide cracks when are they going to do something meaningful about Happy Valley? It's a joke that a ski area proclaiming its world leading status has no moderate route back for the majority of its leisure skiers and while there are options we all know the impacts of "death before download" mentality and the state of Kandahar at the end of the day.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes,

Unlikely anything will be done..

They cant put up/build Avalanche breakers (like on Nort face of Rendl & Wolfsgruben)

Cutting a new winding Cat track down Osthang is also a nogo as they would have to fell thousands of trees...

I would just like them to declare the whole Steißbachtal , Matun Schindlegrat at own risk freeride area i.e not in the controlled ski area..

Any rescue will be at Freeriders expense....

The only option i see is for them to reopen/use the old Piste back from St Christoph but this would need Avalanche barrriers above on Maisenee ..
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes,

There is the other thing..

If you cannot ski Kandahar (all conditions) dont book you ski vacation in St Anton there is a reason why folks have to step up their game here ... Very Happy
latest report
@stanton, I seem to remember that a planning application (you posted the forms ??) has been submitted for avalanche barriers on the slope above the Steissbachtal piste? I realise submitting the plans is one thing getting permission to build is another thing altogether.

Personally I avoid the piste, far too crowded most of the time, Kandahar is almost always a better option but know the "black piste" thing puts off a lot of people and it can get very cut up and moguled by the end of the day.

As you know no chance of Schindler, Mattun etc being removed from the piste map.

I am sure all sorts of options are being considered, this is not going to be popular with the apres ski haunt owners and the tourist office. One off the wall suggestion, turn the existing ski route between the Galzig piste and Kandahar into a "piste / track" and cut a track down the end of Bachseite to where Mattun meets the piste, no tree cutting involved, a good few bushes though but might avoid the nature reserve areas?
latest report
@munich_irish,

Leave it as it is ..we dont need anymore catracks..pistes etc...
Less is better for der Arlberg...
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Projekt "Gleitschneesicherung Steissbachtal 2018

2 phase project.

Barriers covering 2.44 Hectares

https://www.tirol.gv.at/uploads/media/KM_Arlberger_Bergbahnen_AG_Gleitschneesicherung_Steissbachtal.pdf

They will need to speed this through & have NO objections to have it ready this season....NOT !!
ski holidays
@munich_irish, These applications can take years & I know there are groups that are dead against any iron work going up in the Valley.
snow report
What is it that has changed for the last two years to not make the valley safe to open? In 2012 and 2013 there was very heavy snow and the slope was made safe. In 2012 it was built up onto a ridge created by piste bashers to leave a trough under the mattun side to catch any slides. This made the run narrower but safe. Last two years no such effort. Interested in whats different if anything. Is the Avalanche commission now stricter on what they will sign off?
latest report
It is really weird because this slope isn't new and it is/was part of Run Of Fame. Does RoF still exist? I don't see it in app.

Steissbachtal is even present on map from 2004 so why now there is so big problem with slope preparing?
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,

If you cannot ski Kandahar (all conditions) dont book you ski vacation in St Anton there is a reason why folks have to step up their game here ... Very Happy

I can ski Kandahar just fine. Not keen on dodging the assorted wrecks and unguided missiles scattered off the bumps. Reality is St Anton is a resort for fat germans and pissed cloggies as well as deluded Brits rather than freeride gods.
snow report
There has been considerable development in both Switzerland and Austria in understanding and preventing avalanche risk since the events of 1999. The recent snow event passed off with just a few isolated fatal accidents which were mainly a result of individuals putting themselves in risky situations (whether by bad luck or lack of judgement). As part of this it does seem as if those tasked with keeping places safe ie the local avalanche commissions have become more cautious and risk adverse, understandably so after all no one want to see another incident like that at Galtür - https://devastatingdisasters.com/the-galtur-avalanche-1999/

I remember the snow walls too, maybe the snow conditions are simply different this year and last?

However it does seem clear that the resort will have to come up with a solution, if aesthetics are the main objection there are alternatives to steel barriers, stone walls or even mounds of earth (or grassed over structures) are all possible. Sure it might cost more money than the lift company want to pay but long term loosing an important piste and also a very popular off piste area is probably not something that all concerned will want.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
stanton wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,

I can ski Kandahar just fine. Not keen on dodging the assorted wrecks and unguided missiles scattered off the bumps. Reality is St Anton is a resort for fat germans and pissed cloggies as well as deluded Brits rather than freeride gods.

Is Lech included? I am really excited to ski in Austria for the first time, and just want a good holiday for me and mrsthecramps. Hope it's not full of the aforementioned.
ski holidays
Well you're a Brit ain't you? NehNeh

Lech is a little bit more his n hers white jeans 'n fur coats - see Markymark29 for details
latest report

Lech is a little bit more his n hers white jeans 'n fur coats - see Markymark29 for details

??? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Folks from all corners of the World in Sankt Anton ...same appliea round the corner in Lech...

Truly international....
latest report
@thecramps, Whilst St. Anton is a bit of a party town especially at Apres time with those traditional crushfests of Moorserwirt and the KK being utter chaos. Lech is a bit more upmarket and moneyed (think Princess Di on the slopes). Since you're staying in Lech you're unlikely to come across the chaos of St. Anton but the skiing will be great in both places.
snow report

Ahh, sort of Alderley Edge in the Alps. Got it. wink
latest report
Bergfex now forecasting a decent dusting of 30+ cm (at elevation) for the Arlberg Sun-Mon. Of course that could change, but here's hoping.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
There has been considerable development in both Switzerland and Austria in understanding and preventing avalanche risk since the events of 1999. The recent snow event passed off with just a few isolated fatal accidents which were mainly a result of individuals putting themselves in risky situations (whether by bad luck or lack of judgement). As part of this it does seem as if those tasked with keeping places safe ie the local avalanche commissions have become more cautious and risk adverse, understandably so after all no one want to see another incident like that at Galtür - https://devastatingdisasters.com/the-galtur-avalanche-1999/

I remember the snow walls too, maybe the snow conditions are simply different this year and last?

However it does seem clear that the resort will have to come up with a solution, if aesthetics are the main objection there are alternatives to steel barriers, stone walls or even mounds of earth (or grassed over structures) are all possible. Sure it might cost more money than the lift company want to pay but long term loosing an important piste and also a very popular off piste area is probably not something that all concerned will want.

Yep. Many years ago 'glide cracks' were not seen as a problem (I even remember some people saying they were a good thing as it meant the pack had 'settled'). These days they are seen as an indicator of risk.

I also read somewhere (maybe here???) that the usage of the slopes above Steissbachtal had changed (grazing in summer), which also meant the snow pack is now less stable than a few years ago.

20 years ago I don't recall Steissbachtal ever closing, these days it seems to be closed more often than it is open. I may be wrong on that, I don't live there so I'm not as up to date as others, but when I was living there in the 90s I don't think it ever closed.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
@thecramps Lech is a bit more upmarket and moneyed (think Princess Di on the slopes).

That’s not upmarket, that’s paranormal!
ski holidays
Years ago folks dying in avalanches in Austria rarely reached the news....

Now its news in every country in the World 5 mins after it happens...

Arlberg has claimed multiple lives over the last few decades....

Maybe they are being more cautious to prevent bad media.....

Was hitting Bachseite today all the way down to Steisßbachtal ......Happy Happy
latest report
stanton wrote:

Was hitting Bachseite today all the way down to Steisßbachtal ......

stanton wrote:
richjp wrote:

That is correct.

Taxi business in St Anton must be very lucrative to pay those huge fines Madeye-Smiley
latest report
ArlbergMeister wrote:
Bergfex now forecasting a decent dusting of 30+ cm (at elevation) for the Arlberg Sun-Mon. Of course that could change, but here's hoping.

If it does I'll be 2 for 2 in Austria. After 15 years of France, Switzerland and Italy its Austria that delivers.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
stanton wrote:

Was hitting Bachseite today all the way down to Steisßbachtal ......

stanton wrote:
richjp wrote:

That is correct.

Taxi business in St Anton must be very lucrative to pay those huge fines Madeye-Smiley

NehNeh

Depending on where the signs are and where you traverse off it might be possible to stay legal. And safe.
snow conditions
This visit to St Anton will be our first to Austria. Having skied France, and the Three Valleys in particular, often we usually purchase carre neige as additional insurance to ensure speedy/appropriate rescue from the mountain if required. Is there a similar policy in Austria (Arlberg in particular) or will travel insurance with Wintersports cover (inc guided off-piste) suffice?
latest report
allcarvedup wrote:
This visit to St Anton will be our first to Austria. Having skied France, and the Three Valleys in particular, often we usually purchase carre neige as additional insurance to ensure speedy/appropriate rescue from the mountain if required. Is there a similar policy in Austria (Arlberg in particular) or will travel insurance with Wintersports cover (inc guided off-piste) suffice?

If you have insurance for skiing then that's all you need. In the event of an accident no one will ask for proof until you are safely off the mountain. Buying anything additional will make zero difference to rescue or treatment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy