Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Toadman wrote:
and the snow doesn't care your nationality.

Exactly. Just your weight and timing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rendl open again .....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trains running yet ZRH - St Anton anyone?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, partly running, ie the trip involves a shuttle bus. See https://www.intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation/oeffentliche-verkehrsmittel

BTW Absolutely fantastic day in StA today. Blue skies and cold powder. Very few people. It does not get better than this!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are at Level 3 today...

It is still considered dangerous.

Folks were breaking all the warnings yesterday and dropping into Descents when it was at Level 4 all over Arlberg.

Perfekt conditions...

Cloudy at weekend..very cold at night

More snow later next week...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Were there any avalanche incidents yesterday?

I had it penciled in as highly likely tbh, as with all the fresh snow, previous high winds, sunshine & it becoming warmer yesterday afternoon, it all looked set for disaster....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, There is an issue that folks think "Level 3" is somehow safe because its less than 4 or 5 when in fact it means there is still a relatively high risk of avalanches.

From Morris over at Wepowder

Quote:
Avalanche danger CONSIDERABLE (3 on a scale of 5) is estimated by many as 'average' and gives a false sense of security. But anyone who dives deeper into the avalanche danger scale immediately sees what it really means. There is a significant avalanche danger when the rating is CONSIDERABLE. The snow cover is then moderately to weak on many slopes that are steeper than 30 degrees. Spontaneous avalanches of medium size are possible. The weight on the snow cover by a single skier or snowboarder may be sufficient to cause an avalanche. That sounds a lot heavier than 3 on a scale of 5, doesn't it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, i know all that and have mentioned many times on here over the past seasons about Leve 3 & the false sense of security
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horgand wrote:
Were there any avalanche incidents yesterday?

I had it penciled in as highly likely tbh, as with all the fresh snow, previous high winds, sunshine & it becoming warmer yesterday afternoon, it all looked set for disaster....

Another assumptoon

Fact is they (fatals happen when least expected more times than most...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Folks looks like the descent from Galzig (forseable future) will be

Kandahar Black Piste

or

Galzigbahn

Or

Ski Route 1
Off Piste below Osthang
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, top secret source no doubt.......

Was surprised to see that Mattun was open yesterday (thought it was closed last year with Steissbachtal?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/0pSBUXFJXiY
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thecramps, interesting video
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/0pSBUXFJXiY

Wow, terrifying but also extremely insightful video.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone with local knowledge happen to know when the Arlbergbahn is likely to reopen? OEBB has the disruption dates as 13-18. SBB is highlighting it for travel today, but not tomorrow. As I’m planning on traveling tomorrow evening, it would be great to know if my planned train will be affected! If yes, the additional phaff of 2 additional changes and additional 1h travel time for the replacement bus might tip the balance in favor of driving.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Folks looks like the descent from Galzig (forseable future) will be

Kandahar Black Piste

or

Galzigbahn

Or

Ski Route 1
Off Piste below Osthang

Happy valley closed for the season again?
snow report
munich_irish wrote:

Was surprised to see that Mattun was open yesterday (thought it was closed last year with Steissbachtal?)

Mattun was still open last season. Can't see Steissbachtal opening any time soon TBH. Comments from people who were off-piste yesterday was that they were surprised how stable some of it actually felt. Having said that, the full depth cracks that can be seen going up the Kapall chair (and downslope of the barriers under it) have definitely widened since yesterday, and a few more starting to open up.

@Gämsbock, not heard anything, but from what I saw of the line Landeck side of St Anton the tracks have been ploughed and the rails are visible again so it can't be far off.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:

Mattun was still open last season. Can't see Steissbachtal opening any time soon TBH. Comments from people who were off-piste yesterday was that they were surprised how stable some of it actually felt. Having said that, the full depth cracks that can be seen going up the Kapall chair (and downslope of the barriers under it) have definitely widened since yesterday, and a few more starting to open up.

@Gämsbock, not heard anything, but from what I saw of the line Landeck side of St Anton the tracks have been ploughed and the rails are visible again so it can't be far off.
ski holidays
Has Steissbachtal been closed from the start of this season? Or closed recently?
ski holidays
@thecramps, great video. That is very instructive to see up close. It's wonderful you survived that!
I spent a winter in the mountains of Alta, Utah about 10 years ago and saw a lifetime's worth of avalanches big and small. I hardly saw anybody with an ABS bag. I suppose they were too new at the time. A handful of people triggered avalanches that year and a few people unfortunately died. But overall, most people seemed to ski prudently in the backcountry.

Now I live near the Alps and everyone I see even on the piste seems to have an ABS pack. And I also see a lot of people skiing in places that are very dangerous. And I'm starting to wonder if the airbags are giving people a false sense of security and replacing good judgement. It almost seems like a form of moral hazard.
latest report
Travelling by Train Landeck/Buldenz

There is a Bus replacement service,

you need to call OEBB on a special number on website to guarantee a seat which you MUST have

Also need to allow at least 60mins extra travel time..
ski holidays
altaski8 wrote:
Now I live near the Alps and everyone I see even on the piste seems to have an ABS pack. And I also see a lot of people skiing in places that are very dangerous. And I'm starting to wonder if the airbags are giving people a false sense of security and replacing good judgement. It almost seems like a form of moral hazard.

All Four Germans killed in Lech lastweek (Langerzug)Avalanche had Airbags,, all were activated in time but were no use at All.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Has Steissbachtal been closed from the start of this season? Or closed recently?

Just recently..after after the last massive dump...It is to dangerous .
snow report
@altaski8, It wasn't me Shocked It was just a video I found on YouTube. Still, it is very interesting, and yes, the guy was very lucky. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Travelling by Train Landeck/Buldenz

There is a Bus replacement service,

you need to call OEBB on a special number on website to guarantee a seat which you MUST have

Also need to allow at least 60mins extra travel time..

Doesn't say anything about having to have a seat, it's just for those with mobility issues to guarantee assistance and "barrierefreie" travel.

Having looked on their Facebook page, there is a comment from ÖBB saying they will be reopening 18:00 tomorrow
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Just recently..after after the last massive dump...It is to dangerous .

Ok thanks
snow report
http://cdn.mountainacademy.salomon.com/academy/photo/1/2573-w1024.jpg

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-01-19 18:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
In North America, most accidents occur during level 3 (considerable).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And interestingly, a greater percentage of fatalities occurs when the Avi warning level is 1 or 2, versus 4 or 5.

So obviously while the mountain risk is lower when the Avi index is lower, but significantly more people ski off piste at those lower Avi warning levels, so much so, that there are more fatalities when the Avi index is lower than higher, with Avi index 3 being coincident with the highest fatality incidence.

(of course, the frequency of days with a particular ava risk will also affect these statistics I.e. If the ava warning level is 2 say 3times more often than 4, then all else being equal, there's likely to be 3 times the number of fatalities at ava warning level 2 versus 4 over that season say )

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 17-01-19 18:56; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Most avalanche accidents in Europe occur at Level 3 too

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 17-01-19 18:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@horgand, does that include all fatalities though or just those involved with avalanches?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@horgand, does that include all fatalities though or just those involved with avalanches?

I've derived my 'pearls of wisdom' from here:

http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/en/demo/30/how-often-and-when-do-things-go-wrong
latest report
Sounds like there will be plenty of snow for when I arrive at the beginning of February. Hopefully everything is back up and running again by then.

I was originally meant to be in Serre Chevalier for the week but they haven’t had much snow of late so decided to change plans to Austria instead.
latest report
Sitter wrote:

Having looked on their Facebook page, there is a comment from ÖBB saying they will be reopening 18:00 tomorrow

@Sitter, thanks very much, I didn't think to look on Facebook. SBB this afternoon changed the Friday trains to saying replacement bus service as well, so I was feeling fairly resigned to it. We've decided to take the train despite the extra hassle. However, my train is due to leave Bludenz after 6pm, so I shall keep my fingers crossed I get straight through!
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Markymark29, partly running, ie the trip involves a shuttle bus. See https://www.intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation/oeffentliche-verkehrsmittel

BTW Absolutely fantastic day in StA today. Blue skies and cold powder. Very few people. It does not get better than this!

This link no longer works so does anyone know if trains are back to normal now?
ski holidays
@o11y, not quite:
http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/help.exe/dn?tpl=showmap_external
Has the disruption still ongoing, but as sitter helpfully discovered on the OEBB Facebook page yesterday, they are planning to reopen the line at 6pm today. I’m traveling this evening so I’ll let you know if I get through!
snow conditions
2 nice dumps have reappeared on the forecasts for the middle of next week.... Thank you Snow Gods -yummy
snow report
There was a short, sharp burst of snow last night around 5:30pm... looked serious, but the morning light revealed that nothing much had come of it.

Most of the area is now open, apart from Vallugabahn 1 & 2 and Schindler. There were 3 or 4 groomers yesterday working the piste from Schindler to Ulmerhütte, so that may open soon. The back of Albona was not open yesterday afternoon.

It has been a lovely quiet week. Alas, the crowds will soon be here. Sigh!
latest report
Cold wintry temperatures & sunshine will prevail next week..
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:
It has been a lovely quiet week. Alas, the crowds will soon be here. Sigh!

Due to the weather improvements, or are there Austrian/German holidays next week?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy