Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
ulmerhutte wrote:
It will be interesting to see what lifts actually turn today, given the avalanche risk level is up to 5.

Local ski buses, apart from Linie 3 & 5, are not running.

Shades of this time last year.

8:20am Edit: all lifts and runs closed at this point. No great surprise.

Ticket offices are apparently closed, so not expecting anything to be running. They have managed to get a train shuttle running from Langen to St Anton (bus replacement Landeck-Bludenz) so there is some access to St Anton, abeit limited.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stay of the Hill today and relax....

Buses are extremely limited

Its a walk from St Jakob

Folks never learn about The dangers tr. The victoms yesterday

https://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/15214025/drei-tote-bei-lawinenunglueck-in-lech-zunehmend-kritische-lage
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Emergency Info

https://intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The real time piste map reveals just 13 lifts open in the entire Ski Arlberg region, which includes very short lifts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The real time piste map reveals just 13 lifts open in the entire Ski Arlberg region, which includes very short lifts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Expected TBH. Slowly opening a few more
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 4th missing victim presumed deas will be recovered when they can locate ..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/7DZRJ3xNTGI
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are just waitimg for the Sirens tp go off .....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Gampen side opened around 10:30. Splendid skiing on piste. Leaving the off piste to the Darwin Award candidates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Currently in Zug cut off with no access to Lech either by road or lift. Perhaps not surprising with 60+cm in the last 24 hours and 7cm in one hour this morning. Big avalanche risk and no sign currently of things abating. I would add some photos but not sure how!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@puplett, pics please Smile https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are coming to St Anton on Saturday on the Zurich train, so hoping the conditions have improved by then. But just in case its needed, can anyone tell me an emergency number I can put in my phone. Also, any other numbers that could be useful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xscreamer wrote:
We are coming to St Anton on Saturday on the Zurich train, so hoping the conditions have improved by then. But just in case its needed, can anyone tell me an emergency number I can put in my phone. Also, any other numbers that could be useful.

Probably all the info and contact numbers you might need can be found at https://intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably all the info and contact numbers you might need can be found at https://intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation[/quote] thanks for that, got the numbers I hope I don't need.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
The Gampen side opened around 10:30. Splendid skiing on piste. Leaving the off piste to the Darwin Award candidates.

Our (excellent) private instructor in St Anton 2 weeks ago told us that quite a few skiers ignore warnings and go under ropes in areas with grave avalanche warnings, and do exactly the same into forbidden areas with protected wildlife. When caught the fines are significant. The arrogance of some folk.
ski holidays
https://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/15217345/16-jaehriger-von-lawine-getoetet-ermittlungen-in-st-anton-laufen-noch
ski holidays
@Sitter, sounds like a very sad story.
snow conditions
Strange twist from an Aussie website???

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2019/01/15/07/00/max-meyer-austria-death-parents-say-rescuers-triggered-fatal-avalanche
ski holidays
Yep @kitenski, that’s basically the story @Sitter posted though uncertainty in the accounts whether it was a member of the piste patrol or just someone coming to help who may have triggered the fatal avalanche.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Strange twist from an Aussie website???

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2019/01/15/07/00/max-meyer-austria-death-parents-say-rescuers-triggered-fatal-avalanche

Wasn't the rescuers that skied them into an off piste terrain trap though was it? We all screw up but would be a bit rich if the family try to make something of it.
latest report
Our back fence is now totally covered, so it looks like there was significant new snow during the night, but hard to tell in the dark.

One very telling sign yesterday afternoon... the number of mature fir trees, which are on the sides of the N’Bahn, that were bent almost into half height. In 17 years of coming to St Anton, I have seen even greater snow depths (eg 2012), but I cannot remember a storm cycle of this intensity.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Yep @kitenski, that’s basically the story @Sitter posted though uncertainty in the accounts whether it was a member of the piste patrol or just someone coming to help who may have triggered the fatal avalanche.

Yup, the Austrian's version of it. The Aussies released their statement to the media over there, and this is basically the Austrian's reply. Investigations ongoing basically, and the person that triggered the avi was not with the Bergrettung.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, @Sitter, Apologies I don't tend to read links in German.
snow report
Pretty much in Lockdown again today...

Avalanche Committee has decided its to dangerous...

No busses from St Jakob etc..

Stay Calm
snow conditions
22 lifts that are open and running today inc Kriegerhorn so perhaps a little more open than yesterday, stay safe for folk who are out there.
latest report
Making the streets & access safe first..

The Mountain Company is working 24*7 preparing the hill......

Tomorrow onwards will be momentous
snow conditions
Epic snow, but too many people with white line fever. Yesterday, despite the weather, was far more relaxed. Big queues on Galzigbahn and Gampenbahn.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton & @nozawaonsen - many thanks for all your interesting posts throughout these two weeks of very heavy snow. Webcams of Warth and Lech are incredible - many metres of snow, where uncleared, even at village level. @stanton - any pics once you're out and about would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
All looks wonderful in the sunshine, shame stuck in the office tomorrow Sad .

Perhaps someone can answer a question. It appears that one of the Rüfikopf cable cars is running but there are no open pistes at the top, nor are either of the drag lifts running. Assuming the information is correct, are people with ski kit being allowed onto the lift and if so where can they ski? Given the events of Saturday I presume no responsible person would be encouraging skiing off piste in a closed area?
snow report
@munich_irish, I assume it is running to take workers to the mountain station to clear snow, maintenance etc. Galzigbahn ran all yesterday but did not take skiers. Ditto, Rendlbahn today.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, The lift is shown as open on the list not just on the plan. I would hope it is incorrect info ie no ski kit, only for visiting the restaurant but it just seems odd.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, It must be for the restaurant. Trittalpe is not shown as running, therefore the only 2 ways to ski out from Ruffikopf involve serious off-piste - unless you are prepared to climb/walk.

...the 2 options are: through the avalanche barriers under Ruffi and hence into Langerzug (and surely nobody is that stupid, given recent events), or via Hals down to the road near Seekopfbahn. Hals is prone to wet snow slides, so risky at the best of times.

I guess Schwarze Wand might also be a possibility.

In short, there are options for the brain dead, and soon to become the terminally dead. Toofy Grin
snow report
Some prime contenders for Darwin awards out and about today. Overheard a couple of Canadians going up the Galzigbahn in the afternoon eyeing up the bowl directly below the Galzig top station as it was "not closed off", as well as talking about some of the lines that they'd already done. Neither of them had any form of kit beyond clothing, skis and poles...

Could see quite a few little wind blown slabs that had come off on the slopes below Osthang and round to Kandahar, and plenty of cornices that have formed near the bottom of the Mattun bowl and down the ridges alongside the red from Gampen towards the bottom of Happy Valley. Hopefully more opening up tomorrow, they were certainly pisting Kapall today and some of the blues up on Galzig. Very crowded on piste as the sunshine bought everybody out to play on a limited number of pistes, the red down to KK/Taps was mogul central from very early on.

Roads opening up again now, St Anton reachable again by road although it'll be a little longer before the rail line is reopened. Some of the smaller roads down the valley still closed until the morning (Pettneu Vadiesen to the S16 exit) or further notice (Pettneu-Schnann, a stretch round Flirsch).
snow report
met a couple from the us in anton a few years ago and it was apparent they had no concept of off piste not being avalanche controlled
ski holidays
@8611, that's because the US have resort in bounds covering all areas, very different to Europe.
ski holidays
@kitenski, you'd think they'd some research first though! Only about 15% of the world's ski resorts work on the inbounds/outbounds model - you'd think they'd realise that's not normal elsewhere, especially those planning a trip to a different continent!

I mean, you're absolutely right; I just find it very odd.
latest report
@clarky999, it's a massive generalisation but I'm not sure a high percentage of Americans would think European skiing was any different to American skiing.
latest report
I live in California and knew a guy who died in an avalanche, about 15 years ago, at Sugar Bowl Ski Resort. He was skiing out of bounds and got caught by the mountain. All the warning signs a resort can put up are not enough for all peoples. In this instance, a normally intelligent young man probably took the warnings as a challenge.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@clarky999, it's a massive generalisation but I'm not sure a high percentage of Americans would think European skiing was any different to American skiing.

Would agree that off-piste resort skiing is different in America than Europe. So is the avalanche protocol that ski patrol uses in the USA. Still, whether you are a Euro skier or North American skier; you make a bad decision, and the snow doesn't care your nationality.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy