Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Some more here about the 16 yr old Victim. Fotos lifted from the Bergrettung (Mountain Rescue) FB Page

https://www.bild.de/news/ausland/news-ausland/teenager-16-stirbt-in-oesterreich-unter-lawine-im-beisein-der-eltern-59478786.bild.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been looking at the webcams (Stuben is open now) looks fabulous, shame I cant be there until this evening! Hopefully the Arlenmähderbahn will open so there is a connection between St Anton & Stuben / Lech. I guess it is too much to hope for the Schindler to open too but more than enough to be getting on with.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, depends on the avalanche risk, to open the Arlenmähderbahn they have to make a lot of slopes safe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Perfekt morning , plenty open today .

Stuben is closed

Make the most of this small break , some more snow tonight (dusting) same again tomorrow then all hell breaks lose again POW DUMP

OFF PISTE IS DANGEROUS

Anyone skiing maienwassen / maienplatt? Presumably access to Steissbachtal is not allowed so no bachseit? Or are folks sticking to ski routes etc?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sah, realise that, it is often the last of the lower lifts to open. I know there are an awful lot of variables, wind, terrain, snowpack etc but as one of the Albona runs and Madloch to Zug is open seems hopeful that others will too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
munich_irish wrote:
@sah, realise that, it is often the last of the lower lifts to open. I know there are an awful lot of variables, wind, terrain, snowpack etc but as one of the Albona runs and Madloch to Zug is open seems hopeful that others will too.

Oh my, Madloch to Zug on a day like today... that would be nice.

There's always a chance they might open AMB later in the day, they often do that for Schindler and Valuga, once the morning rush dies down they open them up. Although I suspect it won't happen, given the forecast they'll likely focus on keeping other areas safe in preparation for another big dump. I'm sure stanton will be along soon to explain why I'm wrong though Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rikwatson, If you are driving up to Warth make sure you are on the road early becasue the traffic up to Schoppernau tends to be very heavy. Bearing in mind you are travelling up Monday morning it may be less heavy, weekend traffic can be horrendous particularly after a big snow dump when all the locals and Swiss are heading up the valley. We've left many times ona Saturday 8.30am and see nose to tail traffic all the way up the valley from almost Dornbirn.

So, i'd pick up your hire car Sunday evening and drive up to Dornbirn (all motorway), and dont forget to buy your Austrian vignette at the border.....break your journey at Dornbirn. Make sure you have chains, the last 5-10km is steep and wintery, road gets closed frequently but almost always gets reopened same day (different prospect to driving into St Anton via the motorways). Obviously make sure you have winter tyres. Enjoy Warth, its brilliant.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sah wrote:
stanton wrote:
Perfekt morning , plenty open today .

Stuben is closed

Make the most of this small break , some more snow tonight (dusting) same again tomorrow then all hell breaks lose again POW DUMP

OFF PISTE IS DANGEROUS

Anyone skiing maienwassen / maienplatt? Presumably access to Steissbachtal is not allowed so no bachseit? Or are folks sticking to ski routes etc?

There have been people skiing Bachseite, although Steissbachtal runs are closed. Been teaching up on Gampen so no idea if it's got the signs up like last season but looked to be quite a few coming down. Massive full depth slide on the Mattun bowl tho, above the hut on Schindler side and debris right down to the piste at the bottom (before the Gampen pistes and Steisbbachtal join).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Next week will be Snorkel Tree POW Skiing in Klösterle Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It has been a few seasons since this was possible ….

http://youtube.com/v/AVo5qCbLT6U
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking forward to heading to St Anton tomorrow for my first time Blush On a weeks off-piste course. Really excited although am a bit miffed as I just bought a pair of Vokl M5 Mantras and had hoped to ski them. With this much snow I will have to bring my Rossignol Super 7s at 116mm. I have never skied the Mantras in deep powder (I trialed them at the PSB and were fantastic on piste and mixed up snow). No option to bring both Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
Looking forward to heading to St Anton tomorrow for my first time Blush On a weeks off-piste course. Really excited although am a bit miffed as I just bought a pair of Vokl M5 Mantras and had hoped to ski them. With this much snow I will have to bring my Rossignol Super 7s at 116mm. I have never skied the Mantras in deep powder (I trialed them at the PSB and were fantastic on piste and mixed up snow). No option to bring both Crying or Very sad

You doing the Snoworks course?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hawkesbaynz wrote:

First world problems eh? You have super fat skis and and a ton of powder to point them at. Nothing to be miffed at here. I'll look out for your Super 7's and say hi. I'm on lowly Atomic 100m Vantage CTI's, but I won't be complaining. They float well enough.
Enjoy it you lucky git.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hawkesbaynz wrote:
I'd take the Mantras. You'll be fine on them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All - we are in St Anton in early February, flying into Munich and hiring a car ... we should hopefully be in the car by 3:30PM so the first leg of the drive should be during daylight hours. Is there a particular route you’d recommend? Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great conditions nearby in Montafon today.
http://youtube.com/v/bbo2ICWedPg

However, the general attitude of the people on the mountain was scary in light of recent events and the avalanche conditions. Tonnes off piste with no safety gear, skiing all at once, and dropping in above us on suspect slopes.
latest report
Am on the Snoworks week. Have decided on the Super 7s. Have been skiing for over 30 years and never seen this much snow. Am out twice more this season so the Mantras will get their time in the sun!
ski holidays
@franga, I would avoid the Fern pass and take the A8 motorway to Rosenheim, then the motorways towards Kufstein, Innsbruck, St Anton. St Anton is a very short drive from the motorway exit (Lech or Zürs is a different matter). I have just driven from Munich (my office is to the east of Munich) left at 16:15 and got here at 19:15. If you are doing the trip on a Saturday you are likely to find a fair amount of traffic on the Munich ring road and on the A8 (I avoided both as the first part was cross country) but still think that better than risking long queues on the theoretically quicker Fern pass route. Given clear roads Munich airport to St Anton should be easily doable in around 3.5 hours even keeping within the speed limits.

Dont forget to buy a vignette for the Austrian motorways, can be bought at all the service stations.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, you’re a star (helpful and thorough as always). Thanks
latest report
We bought our ‘vignette’ online and so I suppose it is a virtual vignette, and done on vehicle registration recognition. We do have a bit of paper in case challenged.
ski holidays
Folks...

Do not spend #/$$€€£££ on kit for on or off piste.

Buy the cheapest s h i t ...
latest report
50mph winds on the tops and a further 2 feet of snow at resort level. Another 5 feet on the summits Shocked

No need to make anymore snow this year! How long will it take to open everything back up assuming better weather from Tuesday afternoon?
snow conditions
@Peter S, I’d think to be fully open Thursday next week earliest.
latest report
Was just watching BBC news and they were reporting on the “worst” snow for 30 years in Austria.....methinks their perspective on things might be a bit different to most people on here....

Also webcams looking like its super quiet this morning, assuming all the teams and support crews haven’t turned up and neither have the tourists, hotels must be empty....must be a great ski day for the locals. Can’t help feeling sorry for business owners though, they’ve missed out on huge revenues.
latest report
@Markymark29, private powder day as @stanton, would say.

I think the gist of that video from the tourist office was "please come to St Anton", it would be ironic if they suffered from less business because of too much snow Sad
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Snow&skifan, The only real answer is who knows. However it is very premature to start thinking about the roads being blocked. Yes there is snow forecast possibly heavy but that is hardly unusual in St Anton in winter. Almost always snow does not affect access to the village. Lech is more prone to road closures because access is over a high pass but even here it would normally only be for a short time. The situation last January was unusual. The current situation has been much more severe in areas more to the east, in areas where the amounts of snow have been very unusually high. Yes there has been lots of snow in the Arlberg but not (that much) outside of "normal" experience, see the train clip above.

The most likely situation is that access to St Anton will be possible as normal

Hi @munich_irish. Now that you’re in the Arlberg, please can you update on snow depths in the Vorarlberg/Arlberg. Is this still not much outside of normal experience? It looks spectacular on images posted online. Cheers.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 12-01-19 12:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Arlbergpass road open over to Rauz?
snow report
https://www.lechzuers.com/en/service/weather/
latest report
@skimastaaah, thanks, I keep an eye on this but sometimes it’s not entirely accurate. Going around from St Anton to Lech early evening next Saturday on Post Bus so watching it on and off.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like ‘S’ hour is 22:00 local time tonight. Wind quickly picks up to gale force at altitude and the snow doesn’t stop until 04:00 Tuesday. Bergfex currently modelling up to 70cm at village level and 180cm at altitude !

Stay safe Confused
snow report
@Markymark29, When I arrived last night the sign said open but vehicles over 3.5t need snow chains. If the promised snow arrives suspect it will close again. Assuming the forecast is vaguely correct cant see why it would be closed end of the week. The ÖATMC link above is the most up to date info.
snow conditions
@Snow&skifan, I dont think the snow levels here are "exceptional". The snow is very good, a very few icy patches, the pistes are packed powder. Accessible off piste is mostly tracked out but most of the off piste areas are too dangerous. The Mattun bowl does appear to have an awful lot of snow. Steissbachtal is closed, I couldn't see any glide cracks but visibility was poor for a lot of the day so maybe they are there. I would guess the closure is down to "normal" avalanche risk, there were many closed signs all along the top of Bachseite which I dont think were there last year, and it will reopen in due course but I am sure someone will know more than I. I would guess there will be a very long queue for the Schindler chair when it reopens.

There is lots of snow but that is hardly unusual in St Anton in winter, it is one of the attractions of the place. Certainly the amount of snow on the various roofs does not appear to be as much as in the various tourist office images and the pictures you see hanging on the walls of hotels, Gasthofs etc. All the roads are clear.
latest report
@munich_irish, trains in/ out ok?
snow conditions
What a morning for skiing PP up above Pettneu !!
snow conditions
@munich_irish, there is a law for clearing roofs in Austria....to prevent

Daklawinen (roof avalanches)

Anywhere the roof is exposed to the public has to have holding barriers or be cleared..or both if over loaded..

So if your house Postbox is below an exposed roof this must be cleared..

Also many private houss roofs are somply not strong enough to hold the snow so they clear them

Its a good skibum job !!

Daklawinen have killed people
latest report
We came in on the 8:40am train from Zürich. No issues today. What might transpire over the next 24 - 36 hours is a crapshoot.

The temperature came up this afternoon. Our host and friend remarked that this afternoon was the first time she had she seen snow melt in the carparks for a few days. It certainly did not feel all that cold, which was reflected in the forecast. The forecast also showed “4 snowflakes” which you don’t see very often. A straw poll of people we know was pretty much unanimous: expect heavy snowfalls through to Monday.

Bottom line: the place was looking it’s prettiest and pristine best the afternoon... fresh snow and a little bit of sunshine.
snow conditions
@stanton, aware of all that, it is one of the big issues in Bavaria at the moment. However looking around the town I think there is less snow than I expected given all the "schneechaos" stuff, there is plenty but doesnt seem to me to be much out of the ordinary for this time of year. I am sure someone will think differently.....

@ulmerhutte, Yes late this afternoon was very pleasant.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte,

Every snowflake means 10cms i.e. 4 = 40cm
snow conditions
@munich_irish, East Tirol..Styria,NÖ,Salzbugerland & Southern Germany certainly got more than usual !!!
ski holidays
We just get more spectacular Avalanches in Western Austria
latest report
stanton wrote:
@munich_irish, there is a law for clearing roofs in Austria....to prevent

Daklawinen (roof avalanches)

Anywhere the roof is exposed to the public has to have holding barriers or be cleared..or both if over loaded..

So if your house Postbox is below an exposed roof this must be cleared..

Also many private houss roofs are somply not strong enough to hold the snow so they clear them

Its a good skibum job !!

Daklawinen have killed people

Thanks @stanton. We got back from St Christoph & Lech last weekend, and that explains the relentless clearing (sometimes it looks pretty hazardous for the people doing it) of roofs we witnessed. And explains why there’s a couple of metres of untouched snow at resort level in Warth and Lech, but less on some roofs.

Until these blizzards, I’d wrongly assumed that for many, many decades Austrian buildings have compulsorily had roof pitches and strengths able to hold all snow.

How do you judge the current snow amounts where you are? Not that much more than normal for Arlberg?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy