Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Crowds...

Total Nonsense

That's a relative term used in the context of the third week in April. St Anton slopes were markedly busier than Zurs/Lech yesterday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skimastaaah, no need for the car, ski...the slopes and lift queues will be quiet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just learned that Gunnar, the owner of Reselehof hotel, used to own Krazy Kangarooh. Now I can understand why he said the hotel will only work on weekends next year.
Does it make sense to return to Arlberg for Christmas/NYE week?
Those are the most expensive and crowded weeks anywhere, I reckon. Especially in a crowded and expensive place like this, from the beginning..
if yes, when and where will be better?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, the issue for Christmas and New Year is how good the snow will be, always a lottery. The past couple of years have worked out well but some years its white ribbons on green mountainsides. Christmas will be less busy than New Year though New Year is often just about the busiest time of year (lots of Russians apparently).

I thought the KK was originally owned by an Australian, hence the name? Perhaps they ran the bar and the building was owned by someone else?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martio Matt has owned the KK since 2009, but the place has been going since 1965. Who started it, I have no idea, but St Anton used to be very popular with Aussie ski bums in decades gone by. Maybe one of them stayed and became a bar owner?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/FE5OsCx5aEc
He's an interesting guy, showing off quite a bit. He has his reasons.
His wife, on the other hand, is kind and amazing. Will miss her hospitality and attitude.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@drporat, the Reselehof is certainly a really nice place, if it is weekends only it might make it easier for folk like me who dont want to book full weeks. It would be good if it doesnt end up as one of the 5 star spots, far too many of them creeping into St Anton.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The rooms and breakfast are fine but not a 5* place. Good ski room.
It's close to the N gondola, and nice pubs nearby so they can charge a lot.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Martio Matt has owned the KK since 2009, but the place has been going since 1965. Who started it, I have no idea, but St Anton used to be very popular with Aussie ski bums in decades gone by. Maybe one of them stayed and became a bar owner?

The first owner of the KK was from Rhodesia
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reselehof had a great traditional Tyrolean restaurant, on ground level about 20 years ago, ate there quite a lot at the time (wasnt called same name but I forget its old name) . It then went from being a pension with Stube type restaurant to a private house for a short period before opening again as a hotel. We walked in there one day in the interim period with ski boots on etc looking for food, only to get a "ahem were not a restaurant anymore, this is a private house" comment, pretty embarrassing. I'll have to look for my old photos and see name etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a small street going up at 90° from their corner, with a british pub nearby and a good italian restaurant higher up. Have to go back on a yearly basis, it was the most demanding and challenging spot I've ever skied.
Arlberg, not the restaurant.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a random one, but is anyone in St Anton this week and are driving back to the UK at some point and could do me a massive favour? If so could they drop me a PM? An unfortunate medical evacuation earlier this season and a SNAFU with couriering our kit back to the UK means our Snowpulse Avi cannisters got left at our hotel, and despite following several people's advice on couriers I've not been able to find one who would accept them for transit without paying a stupid amount. Forgot about them and the hotel's closing down for the season on Friday so the manager's been in touch asking what I wanted doing with them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
drporat wrote:
There is a small street going up at 90° from their corner, with a british pub nearby and a good italian restaurant higher up. Have to go back on a yearly basis, it was the most demanding and challenging spot I've ever skied.

Are you talking about Tom Dooley’s and San Antonio? Have not been to the former, but the latter does good food at reasonable prices. Seppi and Sandra are very welcoming hosts. Whilst San Antonio has a broad menu, we alway go for the pizza.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte, you're right. Their pizza is rich and savory, good Thai curry and carbonara.
I just browsed through their menu http://www.sanantonio.co.at/images/pdf/speisekarte18.pdf and it made me wish to go back even more. Especially after seeing their prices - I've been to Courchevel 1650 afterwards and returned hungry.
Never noticed they also have a hotel there, anyone been there? Looking for a 3*/good B&B for next winter
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ulmerhutte wrote:
drporat wrote:

Are you talking about Tom Dooley’s and San Antonio? Have not been to the former, but the latter does good food at reasonable prices. Seppi and Sandra are very welcoming hosts. Whilst San Antonio has a broad menu, we alway go for the pizza.

+1 on San Antonios. Last season for Dooley's Sad
ski holidays
@Sideshow_Bob, Could they not leave them at one of the sports shops for you, say Jennewein under the premise that you want them testing etc, and then ask them to courier them to you, they must send them all the time. Or discharge them and send them empty, if inert they wouldnt be a risk would they? Or cant the hotel just look after them for you, we've given up driving otherwise i'd offer but we have similar issues now flying mostly and its a PITA....one other thing, FB group St Anton holla at me, must be loads of seasonaires driving back soon, post on there.....offer a small sum of beer vouchers and they'll be up for that?
snow conditions
I remember being told that the KK got its name because of the downhill course that used to pass in front of it before the remodelling that took place in 2001 which resulted in the course now ending closer to Nasserein.

On the old course near the KK there were and I think still are, two rollers where at speed the racers took off which were referred to as "die kangaroo sprung" i.e. kangaroo jumps. I suppose alternatively the jumps could have been named after the restaurant
ski holidays
Alber Family are building a massive 100 bed Hotel next to the Galzigbahn (Haus Angelika). Probably take two summers to build.
latest report
Lift Ticket Prices 2019/2020 Season

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/2196/download/Skipasspreise%20-%20Winter%202019-20.pdf?v=1
snow report
@stanton, are they knocking down the Angelika? Stayed there a few times over the years and difficult to beat in terms of location. Have to say that would be a big shame and yet another reasonably priced establishment to be replaced by a pricier one (assuming that they knock down and replace with at least a 4* hotel).

Re Gunnar. Chatted to him on a chairlift once years ago, not realising he owned KK until near the top. Really nice guy. He sussed that we were Glaswegians straight away by our accents Very Happy
snow report
@boabski, No, its very much staying - we're booked at Angelika in for 3 weeks next season, always stay there! The place Stanton is referring to is going to be built next door up the hill.
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
Re Gunnar. Chatted to him on a chairlift once years ago, not realising he owned KK until near the top. Really nice guy. He sussed that we were Glaswegians straight away by our accents Very Happy

That shouldn't be so difficult NehNeh

http://youtube.com/v/_FSWlfcg6oA
ski holidays
Lift Ticket Prices 2019/2020 Season

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/media/2196/download/Skipasspreise%20-%20Winter%202019-20.pdf?v=1
latest report
@drporat, Very Happy think the fact we were wasted on buckfast at 9 am was a giveaway
snow report
@Markymark29, ah ok. That's good
snow report
Rendl was empty first thing, so Mrs Skimastaaah and myself had virtually the best part of the day on Teflon courduroy. Great fun, and then by 10.30/11.00 the sugar/corn/firn snow was out...….

http://youtube.com/v/UR0O1o9NC68
snow conditions
Apparently ground work has already started on the new Schindlergratbahn. Amazing. Season not yet over and already prepping for next winter.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Alber Family are building a massive 100 bed Hotel next to the Galzigbahn (Haus Angelika). Probably take two summers to build.

It's going to be next to Haus Kandahar, St. Anton side. I posted this back in March, maybe on another thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Note, apparently the Angelika should not be affected, apart from being next to a building site!
snow report
davidthornton wrote:
stanton wrote:

It's going to be next to Haus Kandahar, St. Anton side. I posted this back in March, maybe on another thread.

That'll spoil the run-in to Galzig centre.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
davidthornton wrote:
stanton wrote:

That'll spoil the run-in to Galzig centre.

Don't think it'll be anywhere near, it'll be on Alte Arlbergstrasse, opposite the Bergheim.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/g2r-iiDm9EE
latest report
@stanton, thanks.
snow conditions
Folks ..looks as if closing weekend and beyond we will het sunstantial rain so hopefully snow in the high alpine for touring into mid/late May.
snow report
@stanton, and big potential slides....there’s some weight in that deep wet snowpack, go steady if touring is your thing.
ski holidays
Been a good, long, snowy season for St Anton and Lech.
snow report
Not true. Snow might have been good, but Lech is 50.000 nights down compared to last season.
Partly exactly due to abundance of snow causing avalanches and roadclosures, and hysteria in media about that.
Apart from that the long gap towards Easter meant relative high wage costs/guests ratio
ski holidays
@Langerzug, you could argue that fewer guest nights is actually a good thing. Maybe not for the hoteliers, especially those with big bank loans to pay off for the reconstruction of their 5 star palaces, but for ordinary folk who enjoy skiing a few less people in the lift queues is always to be welcomed.

Did Lech get "cut off" any more this season than others? From what I can see it would be an unusual season if the Flexenpass does not get closed from time to time.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Lech was cut off 3-4 days week of 13 January, we arrived on 18th January and it was unbelievable deep snow and the pass/ train line to Bregenz had just re-opened. All were saying at our Pension what an epic week it had been the week before, I can't think that made such a difference, its a very quiet week anyway relative to the peak weeks. It's kind of ironic that hoteliers in a ski resort can complain that there's too much snow, and too long a season (run up to Easter), best snow since year before.....long may it carry on the same imo.
latest report
Folks have less disposable income and there were plenty of cheaper resorts/villages/towns in Austria for Familys to go to.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy