Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, we are based near Nasserein and started late today due to the luggage incident.
I only planned to do a warm up on the blue pistes at the top of Osthang, not to take the ski route towards St. Christoph. Due to the bad visibility we couldn't go higher in the area and finally we ended up playing over and over again on the red/black pistes of 52, 29 and 30 till closing time.
Tomorrow I'll follow your suggestions.
From Schindlergrat I'll take red 85 then blue 100 to Flexenbahn. Then Trittkopf I to Zurs. Stay there till closing time and return by bus to St. Anton if feasible.
But how on Earth do I get to the beginning of Schindlergrat? rolling eyes
Can I take black 58 from the top of Tamboden lift, then left to blue60 piste?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tuesday morning it remains high wind at altitude above 70km/hr therefore probably lift closures
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes you make a left as heading down 58 and then try and shus up to it on the right. Or just keep left down 76 and go up arlenmahderbahn the down 100. But as mentioned might be pointless if flex is shut.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are in Oberlech at the moment, I’m a beginner and didn’t go out yesterday so can’t give a great update but it snowed constantly from Sunday night til now... kids and husband had a great day yesterday due to all the new snow but it was very windy, many of the lifts were closed and visibility was bad. Hoping for a clear day today so I can get started! Snow looks amazing from my window Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@drporat, To get to the Schindler lift from Galzig you turn right after getting off the Tanzboden lift. This will take you to the top of the short black run, marked 58 on the piste map. Near the bottom of this run you need to build up speed as it then turns into a flat / uphill blue run (its possible to get to the same point by following a blue piste marked 59 on the piste map but difficult to build up enough speed). The piste splits after a short while, the right hand side goes to Schindler (almost everyone ends up poling) and the left to the Arlenmähderbahn which goes towards the Flexenbahn for Zürs and Lech. It might take a little while for these lifts to open this morning whilst any avi control is carried out, there will probably be a queue at Schindler as lots of folk will be keen to play in the new snow.

Looks like a great forecast for today, some of us will be stuck in an office Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All higher lifts closed this morning inc Flex & Tritt.

Rendl is the place to be
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today was awesome. Rendl first thing then over to gampen but back to rendl for remainder as snow was in MUCH better condition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Thanks for the good advices.Flexenbahn and Arlenmahderbahn opened late but it was worth it. Went skiing to Zurs.
Schindlergrat remained closed hence the huge queues.
Planned doing the Madloch red piste but was closed. So ski road 171 to Zug.
Then skiing in Lech till closing time.
Amazing day. Amazing place.
Wish they would announce at the lift which pistes are closed.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@drporat, Why folks go skiing in March when there are at least 3 other months with ZERO Queues & cheaper ..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, zero queues? Possibly, just possibly you are making that up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
@drporat, Why folks go skiing in March when there are at least 3 other months with ZERO Queues & cheaper ..

Mate, I will be happy to return in the other months. When is cheaper here? I thought that if I skip NYE, HT vacations and Fasching it will be cheaper. The queues are my fault. Tomorrow at 09:10 I will take the ski bus and for €5 I will have the mountain at my service Smile
I've previously been to the French Alps and enjoyed leisurely skiing there, but this is the real deal. The toughest and most demanding slopes offering you evth, from boring blue pistes through soft mogulled reds and partially frozen blacks to demanding ski roads that have all of the above.
This is a place to retire to. I always admired the Austrian women for their appearance, smile and cultured attitude.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, which particular months are those three?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, you do talk utter pish at times. It's ok if you're single and don't work but some of us have to ski around family life and yes actually pay for a lift pass, buy flights and take time off work, which by the way could be restricted
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been to Arlberg before. Can anyone tell me is kappl a good place to stay?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or Galtür or Samnaun?
ski holidays
@Rom77, not for St Anton, Lech or Zurs.
latest report
So for st anton, is the only option to stay really central or where would u recommend ?
latest report
So for st anton, is the only option to stay really central or where would u recommend ?
latest report
No was thinking kappl as a base for ischgl
snow report
@Rom77, Ischgl (and for that matter Kappl and Galtür) are in a completely different valley to the Arlberg. Samnaun is in a different country.
snow report
Sound. Would u recommend any of them nozawaonsen?
ski holidays
Not really. I have only ever stayed in Lech, St Anton or Ischgl so not in a position to comment.
snow report
@Rom77, not quite sure what you are asking here. What sort of skiing are you after? Kappl is potentially an alternative to staying in Ischgl itself, I think it is a nicer place and potentially cheaper but access is not so good, there are some buses but having a car is probably better.

The Arlberg is one of the best ski areas around. Lech or Warth better for piste skiing (though plenty of off piste too), St Anton better for off piste and apres (though a quiet piste based trip is perfectly possible). Lech / Zürs especially are not cheap places. With St Anton it is perfectly possible to stay in one of the outlying villages, there is a good ski bus service, Pettneu can be a good choice.

Ischgl is maybe a bit more piste focused, the "village" itself is rather brash and expensive but the skiing area very good.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, which particular months are those three?

December (not xmas and silvester)
January
April
latest report
@boabski, your just really not into wintersports otherwise you would of chose the other path ..
latest report
drporat wrote:
stanton wrote:

Mate, I will be happy to return in the other months. When is cheaper here? I thought that if I skip NYE, HT vacations and Fasching it will be cheaper. The queues are my fault. Tomorrow at 09:10 I will take the ski bus and for €5 I will have the mountain at my service Smile
I've previously been to the French Alps and enjoyed leisurely skiing there, but this is the real deal. The toughest and most demanding slopes offering you evth, from boring blue pistes through soft mogulled reds and partially frozen blacks to demanding ski roads that have all of the above.

I am afraid @stanton can be a little eccentric with his comments. The Arlberg can be busy, given its reputation (mostly deserved) it attracts lots of people. To some extent you need to be lucky with timing and weather. Peak weeks can sometimes be unbearably busy but if you avoid New Year and the main half term week(s) (usually in February and includes Fasching) then you should have a good chance of first rate skiing without too many other people. Realise that is not always possible if you have a family to consider. You can pay silly amounts of money to stay in a five star hotel but it is possible to find simple pensions at reasonable rates, a few left in St Anton but more likely in Pettneu, Flirsch or Schnaan though the reality is that it is not a budget ski location.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@stanton, zero queues? Possibly, just possibly you are making that up.

i never Q
snow report
No queues at all yesterday on Rendl, we skied all offpiste runs over the whole Rendl area from first lift up Gampberg until last run down Hinterrendl at 16.15 and never queued once.....just need to make the right choices in the morning I’d suggest!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, which route down Hinterrendl did you take?
ski holidays
Folks .. Snow Tomorrow (Thursday)

Weekend will be Sunny Spring Like..

Monday SNOW !
ski holidays
@davidthornton, skiers right entry (left was cruddy), down main bowl and far far right traverse, big run down then kept left and walked up 10 mins onto hill then big untracked down to and through earth barriers, quick exit and then down moguls (big and mean) onto the cat track.....awesome powder at all levels, no crud or rocks.
ski holidays
@stanton, "hi darling. I've decided to give up the job, you and the kids so I can ski in the Arlberg all season" - I'm sure that'll go down well. Whilst I'd love to do it, I have better things at home (wife, 3 kids and a dog)
Mixed bag today. Great snow but terrible visibility. Sun has made very brief appearance. Sitting in Moos for some beers (brother in law has a fall)@Rom77, have stayed in Kappl 3 times with the family. Cheap base for Ischgl. Have a look at hotel/gasthof alpenfrieden - right on the piste and great value (oh and good food too)
ski holidays
@drporat, which lift is that queue at? I can’t quite see from the photo and I don’t know the resort well enough to recognise it.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, arlenmahder
latest report
Oh yes I did wonder but I couldn’t think of the name.

So why the big queue?
snow report
@Markymark29, thanks. That's how I remember it, apart the walk, must have kept higher. Had lunch on top of the barrier on one day, lovely, so so quiet and lonely. Few skiers seem to venture there. Smile
snow conditions
@davidthornton, we saw about 8-10 skiers total in the whole run, it’s fantastic. Yes you can go high right and link up with Rendlweg and on towards the Alm (closed in winter) or follow the valley down but we opted to side step up so we had fresh tracks down the other side, well worth it.

We’d done a big route off Gampberg first lift, 4 runs down Maass from the cross, Riffl 1 skiers right, and a North Face through the barriers all before Hinterrendl and never saw hardly anyone apart from whooping skiers and boarders. Great day....equally today viz not great am but stayed low in Galzig in the trees and up high pm, highlight Schindlerkar skiers right powder field. Kandahar also special just before lunch....high winds stopped play 4pm, lifts closed early. Still snowing in town. Very quiet no queues.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oh yes I did wonder but I couldn’t think of the name.

So why the big queue?

First sunny day after the snow. Everybody wanted to get to Lech. Schindlergrat was closed.
Markymark29, regarding making better choices:
1. My first time here, didn't know better. Why didn't anybody tell me? NehNeh
Today we took the first bus and had an amazing day in Lech. 2 different long sunny intervals.

2 I only ski on piste and some red ski roads. So you can't compare Rendl to Lech and Zurs from my point of view
latest report
boabski wrote:
@stantonWhilst I'd love to do it, I have better things at home (wife, 3 kids and a dog)

A wife three kids and a dog is better than a season in the arlberg? Come on now. Who exactly are you married to?
ski holidays
Hey... so ended up getting a place in st anton... should be arriving soon.
1st time & looking forward to it.
I like everything but especially l off piste/backcountry.... can anyone give me a few tips of where to head to please?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy