Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@ulmerhutte, where are you staying?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, +1
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shiva_71 wrote:
@ulmerhutte, where are you staying?

With friends in Nasserein.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
drporat wrote:
shiva_71 wrote:
Raining in St. Anton village. Viz a nightmare so far today. Apart from that, all is well Smile

I understand that most of next week is supposed to be snowy up on the mountain with a tendency of rain/sleet in St. Anton. Any rule of the thumb suggestion where to go skiing in case of whiteout up the mountain?
For example in Les 2 Alpes there is the lower domain 'La vallee Blanche' and Mont de Lans, in Les Arcs you can always go towards Peissey Vallandry etc

Tough call today. The goop line today was a little below Gampen, so perhaps call it 1700m. Usually this is good suggestion:

davidthornton wrote:
@drporat, Try Gampen down to Nasserein, or Rendle R1 down to St Anton.
, but today you would have found yourself in very wet sleet and skiing softened gelato for most of the way.

I did not go over to Rendl (not Rendle) today, so do not know what it was like above Rendl Beach, but often the visibility is better there than the other side of the road. Sometimes that is true of Schöngraben. For me, today, it was around the top of Galzig. Best visibility and reasonably sheltered from the westerly- unless you crossed over to the other side, ie St Christoph.

You just need to explore and be flexible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If its snowing and poor vis you need trees to give you some aspect, so Lech, Oberlech, Warth, lower slopes in St Anton and Sonnenkopf worth considering....check the webcams for if it is raining or snowing...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Expect Lift Closures Higher up Tomorrow and Sunday...

Very Strong Westerly Winds

but this is blowing in a Snowstorm Sunday night Monday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know what band is playing at Griabli on the Tuesdays? Is it Chris Lee and the usuals?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is visibility a common issue here? 2 out of 5 days I had viz problems, seemed to be worst between Rüfikopf and Trittkopf. Being a solo skier and not knowing the area, it was pretty unpleasant/scary at times. On the way back this afternoon we passed the Trittkopf base station, the bubbles were barely leaving the station before disappearing completely into the mist, was pretty surreal...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@shiva_71, not sure it is more common than other places but a lot of the ski area is above the tree line (not sure there really are many trees at Zürs at all) which does not help. Parts of the area seem to be better than others, for example Galzig is often wreathed in cloud (especially when the weather is coming from a vaguely westerly direction) when Rendl and to some extent Gampen can have sunshine. Suspect tomorrow afternoon, Sunday and Monday are not going to be great for visibility
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok thanks. I've done 20+ days in the Sella Ronda over last four years and haven't lost a single day to viz problems. Seems like a clear trade off - good viz/20cm snow (though must be said the preparation in the Sella is unbelievable considering poor snow record) v fantastic snow (which the Arlberg clearly has)/frequent whiteout...
Travelling home today, with some relief as yes, looks like next week wouldn't have been great for an Arlberg rookie like me...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He he, arriving this Sunday at noon for a week. This winter is the designed whiteout one: had whiteout days at the PSB in Tignes, in January at L2A and it appears that only 2 days next week will be more or less normal.
So eagerly awaiting spring NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shiva_71, the Arlberg area is just about the snowiest spot in the alps because it is the first area of high mountains that many weather systems hit. I am afraid lots of snow means a fair number of days of "poor" weather. No bluebird powder days without preceding storms, I suspect the Arlberg has as many if not more of those as anywhere else. The Dolomites are in a rain (snow) shadow area, it needs an unusual weather pattern for there to be prolonged heavy snow. So often lots of cold sunny weather, perfect for snow machines, not so good for off piste but on the other hand some wonderful scenery.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, that’s it. After 8 glorious weeks, it time to head back to Australia for a 307 day break, before returning again.

2019 will go down as an absolutely fantastic season. Cold & snowy in January. Beautiful spring weather in February, albeit a little early. Very few white-out days. Many powder days.

New skis - Stöckli Stormrider 95. A game-changer for me; they replaced the Kästle FX94, which were great, but the SR95s are awesome. A do anything, go anywhere, one-ski quiver.

For those yet to come to the Arlberg for 2019: enjoy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte,

Emjoy

Why only 8 weeks? Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, working on staying the season. Agree that 8 weeks is not quite enough. There is still almost 1/2 of the season to go! Just need to gradually bring my wife around to the idea of it. “A happy wife is a good life!”
latest report
@ulmerhutte,
http://youtube.com/v/-5i1cJIwE7M
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
He he, arriving this Sunday at noon for a week. This winter is the designed whiteout one: had whiteout days at the PSB in Tignes, in January at L2A and it appears that only 2 days next week will be more or less normal.
So eagerly awaiting spring NehNeh

Temps should save the day, ie if there are whiteout days and you need to stay lower down, id imagine the low temps will ensure the snow is good and not low down, early spring, afternoon mush.
latest report
ski holidays
Thanks, Stanton. At least it won't be raining Laughing
Should be a good week if the visibility won't be too bad. Will check the webcams in the mornings
snow report
ski holidays
@Whitegold, you do know you're in paradise, right? Razz
latest report
Much better day than anticipated. It did snow first thing but then cleared. Cloud base went up to 2500m or so. Visibility was OK except at Zürs for some reason, even got a few glimmers of sunshine at Stuben at lunchtime. Piste varied between excellent (lee slopes with wind blown powder) to average, the usual piles of blancmange at Nasserine were not too much in evidence on the run back to the bottom, I guess because not so many folk skiing. Rain did move in around 15:30, got quite heavy for a time but will have fallen as snow above the village. Forecast is for a fair amount more precipitation over the next 48 hours, should be snow all the way down to the valley tomorrow lunchtime onwards.

If anyone finds a pair of Saloman googles somewhere between Kappal and Nasserine they are likely to be mine Sad
latest report
@munich_irish, all in all sounds much better than expected!
snow report
Is happy valley open again? Planning to hit rendl tomorrow then head over other side in afternoon for some beers at the Griabli
snow conditions
@boabski, it is indeed, makes skiing Kandahar much more pleasurable. It is narrower than in the past, the left hand side has various snow banks built up to help protect the remaining piste from avalanches.
latest report
@munich_irish, thanks. We are a few men down this week so if anyone fancies some apres beers look out for a 184cm ginganinja with sideburns in the Griabli or at murrmel for guuuunnnarrr
ski holidays
Rain day upto Galzig …
snow report
@stanton, yep, it's not pleasant even the ski instructors look bedraggled. Had to retreat to Base camp for cappuccino.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow holding up pretty well on rendl
snow conditions
Well first trip to St Anton over, had a good week overall.

Weather was good as far as I was concerned overall plenty white stuff, some fresh a couple of days and only difficult day for visibility was Friday morning over St Cristoph way but was clear St Anton side so no prob.

Ski area huge, if warm, go high pretty obvious really, prices reasonable uphill and in town, not unlike Mayrhofen but can pay to much if you don't look around.

Busy, busy, busy don't know if time of year or just popular resort and normal, get up early and get out of St Anton and you will avoid most the queues. Lift to Zug area was a mare one day and dead the next as we were a half hour earlier. Zurs to Zug then over to Lech is a must do for anyone going, great snow.

Top tip, don't bother to much with run of fame, will spend to much time in queues and trying to get somewhere and miss a lot of great skiing, get the bus first thing to Lech a couple of days and have the time to enjoy Warth, Lech and everything up that area.

Good fun all over now, will go back.
snow report
Rendl is always a good option@boabski, doesn't gather cloud as much as Galzig and Kapall. Very busy Friday.
@raydar, Good report, glad you enjoyed St. Anton.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/r9zWd7oM18s
snow conditions

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-03-19 11:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@stanton, lots of snow depth at the Ulmer Hutte, though that does not show the quality. The forecast new snow on top of the deep base all the way to the valley should give good conditions once the storms have passed through. Must say it felt a lot warmer on Saturday and Sunday than the figures show here.
latest report
Obviously this depends on conditions but roughly what percent of your time are you guys spending on/off piste?
snow conditions
Many lifts were closed today due to wind .. ..
snow report
stanton wrote:

Not surprising, very windy up top. Has been snowing all day so will be plenty of fresh around when the lifts open.
snow report
stanton wrote:

Yep. And that's how I got on my first ski route today. On a rented ski kit 'cause Swiss landed without everybody's luggage.
Today they suddently shut down Osthang and I found myself on 51.
Anyone here can recommend a good ski instructor available for a private lesson to learn how to go down those moguls with some sense of dignity?
Preferably tomorrow or the next day. Otherwise I won't enjoy the essence of this amazing place
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/OEatUGAB1p8
ski holidays
@drporat, the Osthang ski route is a challenge at the best of times, not for the faint hearted, the "red" ski route category is generally thought to be wrong it should be a "black" ski route. The weather forecast suggests the prospect of much better weather and the chance to enjoy some first rate conditions. When the sun comes out get in the queue for the Schindlergrat lift or head over to Zürs for Madloch or Muggengrat.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy