Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
A film with some talented Dutch skiers taking advantage of the recent conditions in St Anton

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/264956
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@franga, eat less ..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfekt Ski Conditions and its Saturday !!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, I've heard, locally, that the terrain at the top the Madloch lift is not suitable for extensive reworking.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidthornton, I would guess that's correct and I (and assume not alone) would not want to see any major works to "improve" the run. I would assume a planning application would need to be made before any work is carried out and the usual sources dont seem to have posted it so guess nothing has been officially done so far. Lots of rumours though. It also doesnt appear on the list of planned lifts https://www.skiresort.info/ski-lifts/planned/ though no idea if this is definitive. The lift at Zug is on the list to be replaced though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidthornton, @munich_irish,
In Alpinforum (German) a contributor named Arlbergfan is working with Lech Tourism and he has confirmed it will come this summer. It was also announced officially after the end of the first Flexenbahn season, that new Madlochbahn would come within three years (we are in the third season with Flexenbahn now)
It is going to be a 10 pax gondola like Trittkopf/Flexen. Starting in Zürs, replacing Madloch ánd Zürsersee lifts. Seekopfchair will stay.
Some are also thinking that it might go over the Madlochjoch, ending a bit further and lower, where the proper piste starts, and where the Stierloch tour starts.
Stop looking at skiresort, it is useless
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, makes sense for the replacement Madlochbahn to go beyond the current termination on Madlochjoch as there appears to be only a small land area available for construction without considerable landscape changes. Thanks for the update.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It looks like this summer at both Madloch and Schindlergrat a similar solution is going to be constructed for two similar longstanding problems.
Think we're entering a new -longer- period of important reconstructions at Arlberg, especially around Lech
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, agree that Alpinforum is a good source of info but most folk here dont read German. However when I was looking at it a couple of weeks back about the new Schindler lift I could not see anything about Madloch (maybe it was further back than I looked) and I would have thought Stanton would have linked to the planning application (perhaps he missed it). If construction is going to happen this summer the planning application must have been approved by now (maybe it happened a good while ago) and firm plans published about the construction but that does not appear to be the case? I am sure this is going to happen along the lines you suggest but it just seems odd that there are no details.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish,

All these lift updates/upgrades I have reported upto 3 season ago ...

It all here if you do a search
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A lot of Avalanches this afternoon along the access highways...
Schaan not accesable...

Will be ok later when it cools down
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, I am sure you did but as we know from project Dias having a plan and actually building something is rather different. I just find it odd that if this lift is supposed to be built this summer then the details have not already been publically confirmed rather than a lot of speculation as to what is happening

As you can see from the image below from the late 1950s queues at the Madlochbahn are hardly a new issue

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great find, @munich_irish. People must have been more polite and patient in those days.

I too find it hard to believe those lifts will be built this summer, given the dearth of official documentation.

If they were to be built, then the engineering and fabrication work would surely be in progress now. If that was happening, then it is likely there would press releases from the successful company. Anybody seen one?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2838325/
In this article at the end of the first Flexenbahn season, in the regional Vorarlberg pages of the ORF (Austrian BBC), april 2017, Mr. Skardarasy of Ski Zürs AG is saying the new Madlochbahn will come within three years.
And here, https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&hilit=Madlochbahn+neu&start=4350, contributor Arlbergfan (working at Lech Tourism) is confirming it is coming summer 2019

When Muggengrat was replaced this came as surprise as well. Replacements never are big news, only when it is a real innovation.
And thinking that constructor Doppelmayr is very excited about another gondola....think again, they are constructing dozens every year.

The new Schindlergratbahn is announced in Skiresort.info already....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, it does say should not will (und so soll bis in drei Jahren die alte Madlochbahn erneuert werden) but it certainly needs replacing. Could be a lot of new lifts in the Arlberg next season - Schindler, the one in Lech and this one.
snow report
wrong forum

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-02-19 1:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@munich_irish,
“soll” can also be “shall”, and even “must” Cool
snow report
@Langerzug, agree that it is not always easy to get an exact translation.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, I’am not so sure about the planned Grubenalpebahn. There have been protests from Oberlech hotel owners because it will strongly spoil there view.
It might very well also be just a political ploy to enforce the replacement of the Schlosskopfbahn, which is being blocked by a landowner for so long already
snow conditions
Any solo skiers heading to st anton week of 23rd Feb? I'm heading out if anyone would like to meet up and ski, fairly new to it so would prefer to ski with fellow newbies (know I'm hoping a bit in st anton!)
ski holidays
Big avalanche yesterday from the Death Wall (Kapallbahn side) into Mattun. The area was closed and Ski Patrol were serious about it... there was a patroller stationed at the entry point.

I watched a smaller slide come down from under the aviation cable warning sign which reached the dam built to protect the Steissbachtal piste. That said, the moving snow had pretty much run out of steam by then.

Big crowds yesterday. Managed to avoid the worst of them through flexibility, use of a bus, etc.

Still some powder to be found in Warth, if you knew where to look.
snow report
This warm weather in the aftenoons will trigger slides
snow report
@ulmerhutte, given the number of cracks and avalanche debris visible in the whole Mattun bowl last weekend the only surprise is that it has taken so long for a bigger one to go. Must be a chance it wont reopen this season unfortunately.
snow report
@munich_irish,

There have always been slides on Mattun ,Schindlergrat its not a new thing..

Also "Deathwall" got its name for a reason ...
ski holidays
@stanton, realise that, it just seems like a lot more cracks this year, could be faulty memory on my part though.....
snow report
A couple of weeks ago a large section on Kapall/Mattun, alongside the Kapall lift, had broken away and moved just a metre or so revealing the grass mountainside. Apparently warm Autumns do not provide the bonding needed to secure the first snow falls.
snow report
@davidthornton, that is the Deathwall !
snow report
Innsbruck 15:45

It feels like the middle of April ....+ C very high ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steissbachtal and Mattun closed again this afternoon. No obvious new slides from this morning, so presumably a precaution.

A big slide on the Trittkopf(?) face above the Valfagehr piste. Must have happened last night because some snow dams have now been built along that section of piste.

Yet another day of perfect late-spring skiing. Alas, it is only February. That said, there is still some splendid snow to be found in Stuben.
snow conditions
Hi,
Arriving on Saturday for 4 days of skiing. It seems like crazy warm weather, is it going to be slushy ice condition or cool enough on the mountain to ski down?
Thanks
latest report
pred02 wrote:
Hi,
Arriving on Saturday for 4 days of skiing. It seems like crazy warm weather, is it going to be slushy ice condition or cool enough on the mountain to ski down?
Thanks

All of the above, depending on where you are, st what time of day, at the moment. The north-facing slopes are holding good snow. The south-facing, especially lower, slopes are going through freeze-thaw during the day.

No idea of the weather next week.
snow conditions
We are caught in a high pressure system

Warm weather will stay with us at least till the end of this month freeze level rising to 3000metres...

Cold Mornings but very Sunny Days ....Sunscreen the highest you can afford
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/hqjsMfd6_mY
snow report
@stanton, nice one. How does the langerzug compare with the ski route down to Zug from zurs (madlochbahn??)
snow report
There is no extended pitch on Madloch to Zug anywhere near as steep as Langerzug. There are nowhere near the crowds on Langerzug compared to Madloch.

Madloch has a section at the start of maybe 300 - 500m of flat/uphill to tuck. Langerzug has a much longer tuck at the end.

Apart from that... well, they are 2 different runs, with quite different profiles.
ski holidays
The 360 degree camera on the video is a bit odd, being able to look behind the skier is certainly novel.

Noticed Steissbachtal is, unsurprisling, shut again.
snow conditions
They've been shutting Steissbachtal at about 13:30 the past couple of days. Not stopped people ignoring the signs, ducking the rope and skiing down it, saw at least a dozen in 2 or 3 groups doing it this afternoon.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, cheers
snow conditions
@boabski,
If you are not afraid of the really quite steep part, Langerzug truly is one of the great runs of the Arlberg. Great snow, veeeery quiet (piste completely for yourself 99% of time), lovely scenery and great, unexpected view of Lech-village with pretty Omeshorn as backdrop as finale.
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for the reminder i forgot to report

Omershorn ....there was an Avalanche and rescue operation therea couple of days ago
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy