Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
@franga, the parking at the Schlosskopfbahn in Lech is free for lift pass holders, not sure how busy it gets. The car park at the Trittkopfbahn in Zürs is the same but it always seems to be busy, especially at weekends with day trippers.

Excellent, thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take the Ski Lift thats why they built it...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:

I can see why with a couple of kids driving to Lech would make sense. Even ignoring silly arguments about lifts and crowded pistes, to ski with a couple of kids, even ones who are competent skiers, from St Anton to Lech is at least an hour each way probably a bit more. Add onto that the time taken to get back and forward to the lifts and that easily adds up to 3 hours during the day. Whereas driving from St Anton to Lech is no more than 30 minutes. The kids get a whole day's skiing and if something happens no issue leaving early.

I agree that I dont like driving around when there are alternatives but sometimes it is the best option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:

Hang on a sec, I thought you were of the opinion that lifts and the people that use them are evil and should be sent to a Siberia gulag for a year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
stanton wrote:

I can see why with a couple of kids driving to Lech would make sense. Even ignoring silly arguments about lifts and crowded pistes, to ski with a couple of kids, even ones who are competent skiers, from St Anton to Lech is at least an hour each way probably a bit more. Add onto that the time taken to get back and forward to the lifts and that easily adds up to 3 hours during the day. Whereas driving from St Anton to Lech is no more than 30 minutes. The kids get a whole day's skiing and if something happens no issue leaving early.

I agree that I dont like driving around when there are alternatives but sometimes it is the best option.

Exactly this - our 2 boys (11Y + 8Y) are very competent (the 11Y is only happy on blacks and steep reds) but I'd rather spend 30 mins in the comfort of our car than juggling for space on the Flexenbhan (after having raced down the blue to Alpe Rauz) ... we'll be in Oberlech drinking hot chocolate and eating strudel before you know it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yet another fantastic day here. The overnight snow was a lot lighter than yesterday’s offering - a real pleasure to ski.

The morning was challenging: limited lifts open, poor/variable visibility, and sizeable lift lines. Around lunchtime,!he visibility improved, more lifts opened, and crowds spread out. Splendid skiing in the trees and Bachseite.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going to be there tomorrow, with one beginner and two intermediate snowboarders. One of the boarders is up for the routes (I think he'll be fine on them), the others will stay on the piste. I'm taking mid-fat skis. From meeting at Nasserein, any tips on where to head?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franga wrote:
stanton wrote:

Hang on a sec, I thought you were of the opinion that lifts and the people that use them are evil and should be sent to a Siberia gulag for a year.

Flexenbahn was built as a Transit Lift...

In the future there will be huge Faciilty (Car Parking etc )built at Alpe Rauz
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just saw this on FB (don't know the guy) - natural avalanche hit a (moving) bus on a road, apparently somewhere near Warth... https://www.facebook.com/mattlane909/videos/10214382231535051/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spring is coming 14C in Tirol tomorrow

https://www.tt.com/panorama/wetter/15320346/fruehlingsgefuehle-in-tirol-hoch-dorit-bringt-bis-zu-14-grad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, How much damage to the snow should we expect with this upcoming warm spell?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ArlbergMeister, 3 to 5.5 metre base so far and most snow falls in the Spring ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arlberg Powder Skiing

Preserve the POW keep the turns tight and parallel to the other lines Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/322n9z8kE40
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rookie question coming up! Currently staying in St Anton and planning to go to Lech later in the week. Toying with either skiing over or going by bus. If skiing, I can’t quite work out the connection after getting the Flexenbahn and skiing down into Zurs. Is it a walk across to Seekopf and then ski route 160 into Lech? That doesn’t really seem to come out at the right place. Or is there a way to ski there on pistes rather than ski routes (via Zug?)? (Husband and I would be willing to ski the route but think my parents, who we are skiing with, would not). It seems strange for them to advertise the link so heavily and put in a new lift if it is only accessible via an unpisted route...

As a first timer, it’s been fun so far but the piste map is abysmal Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rosie Ski, assuming you dont go completely off piste the only link on skis is using the Madloch - Lech ski route. The Wiesele ski route shown on the map (sorry dont know the numbers) is rarely open and doesnt go to Lech anyway but to a bus stop on the road between Zürs and Lech. In good conditions the Madloch runs are not difficult, in effect they are prepared exactly as a "piste" would be. If heavily skied can get moguled in the afternoons, there are a couple of slightly narrower sections, one at the top and one towards Lech (couple of steeper pitches just before Zug too if you go that way) but should be fine for reasonably competent skiers. The Lech version ends up on the outskirts of the village, in good snow conditions you can ski pretty much to the main road as long as you are not too worried about your ski bases.

If your parents are worried there is a very regular (every 10 minutes) bus shuttle between Zürs and Lech. It goes from next to the Trittkopfbahn to the centre of Lech with a few stops in between including at the end of the ski route mentioned above and the Rüfikopfbahn. Easy to meet them in Lech at one of the coffee places. It is actually quicker than getting the lifts and skiing between the two.
snow report
A stunningly beautiful day. Powder and sunshine. A nice little line in Zürs:

ski holidays
@Rosie Ski,
Nr. 160= Wiesele and indeed does not go to Lech
To get to Lech on ski you need 172 (via Zug) or 173
For many intermediates the trip St.Anton-Lech-St.Anton by ski is a rather ‘unrelaxed’ thing to do. You also need to realize there are quite a few bottlenecks where queues in high season are inevitable. There is quite a flood of skiers coming from St.Anton trying to get to Lech before lunch...., with a focus in the second half of the week...when you decide to go, you can already find out the way things will be that day by the state of piste nr 100. Tomorrow and Friday it will probably be a mogul paradise top to bottom before 10.00. And there is more to come after that...
The bus might be the more pleasant way to go....
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Just saw this on FB (don't know the guy) - natural avalanche hit a (moving) bus on a road, apparently somewhere near Warth... https://www.facebook.com/mattlane909/videos/10214382231535051/

Wow that's nuts. I'd be glad of my airbag rucksack if caught in that Very Happy This was near Steeg but interestingly the only news post of it on www.meinbezirk.at was taken down. I wonder why? Surprising it didn't shake the bus up or there was more shouts on the bus. Weird.
ski holidays
@munich_irish and @Langerzug thank you for the helpful responses Smile
latest report
@steviedsolve@hotmail.com,
Airbag would be 100% useless... you'd be completely broken to pieces..Limbs off etc..and frozen packed crushed to bits 10 metres under

Just saying
latest report
We have had quite a chunk of hill come down into Crappy Valley ....so with the warmer weather i expect more tp slide and most likely closure
ski holidays
Just looked on the webcam and it is a fair sized slide. It looks as if there is a risk of it sliding some more? Perhaps its me but on Sunday I thought there were far more glide cracks this year than I could remember from previous years in the Mattun area. There were a number of what appeared to be glide avalanches visible under the Kappall chair. With the warm sunny weather over the next 10 days or so there must be an increased risk of more slides and piste / route closures must be possible.

There is a link on the Val d'Isere thread to the pisteurs there triggering a glide slide by spraying water onto it, dont think that would work here, too big an area.
snow report
stanton wrote:
@steviedsolve@hotmail.com,
Airbag would be 100% useless... you'd be completely broken to pieces..Limbs off etc..and frozen packed crushed to bits 10 metres under

Just saying

Exactly stanton. I was being ironic.

Just Saying

Interestingly, the news article has been posted.
https://www.meinbezirk.at/reutte/c-lokales/staublawine-donnerte-ueber-postbus-hinweg_a3201630#gallery=null

When you look at the aftermath it seems tiny compared to the force of the video. Food for thought right there. Being high up above cliffs, even a small slide would be devastating. Shocked
ski holidays
Random question. Is there anywhere in Arlberg to get a timed run on any sort of run. Like the Audi ski runs you see some places. Or even some open races to enter. My 14 YO needs to get something timed on snow for her GCSE. We're there next week.
Cheers.
latest report
@mcgroa,
In Lech, near Hinterwieslift is a giant-slalom run with automatic timing.
And near Weibermahdbahn there is a speedcheck
ski holidays
There's some gates up on Rendl, one of the Reds accessed from the Gampbergbahn.
ski holidays
Thanks that's cool. I'd forgotten about Rendl. Gsce requirements are a bxllache. So the timed circuit is appealing! Cheers
ski holidays
Big slide, pretty much full-depth, on Maienwasen yesterday... as is ususal when the weather warms up.

Very enjoyable day at Sonnenkopf yesterday. A lot of powder, some untracked, still to be found if you are prepared to explore. It is also hard to beat EUR13 for a schnitzel or EUR9 for a burger. A lot to like about Sonnenkopf when the conditions are right.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Big slide, pretty much full-depth, on Maienwasen yesterday... as is ususal when the weather warms up.

Very enjoyable day at Sonnenkopf yesterday. A lot of powder, some untracked, still to be found if you are prepared to explore. It is also hard to beat EUR13 for a schnitzel or EUR9 for a burger. A lot to like about Sonnenkopf when the conditions are right.

Where do you usually go for lunch at Sonnenkopf? I went to the main restaurant at the top of the gondola and it was absolutely packed with school children on a Friday. Luckily the pistes were much quieter Very Happy
ski holidays
@Raven,

Stopping for Lunch is valiable slope time..You folks are payimg a fortune for lift tickets you should use them ....

Lunch should not be neccesary if you have had a few calories for Breakfasr
ski holidays
Quote:

Like the Audi ski runs you see some places

@mcgroa, Was there 2 weekends ago in St Anton.

Suggest one of the 2 in Lech, both in the area above Oberlech, one over towards Warth Auenfeldjet, the other on one of the pistes near Balmalpe heading over towards Oberlech. Never seen one in St Anton but in fairness haven't really been looking for one....may be one on Rendl?
snow conditions
@Markymark29, @mcgroa, Yes, I remember seeing one in Rendl on Wednesday. It's near the Riffelbahn, looks like piste 12 on the map.
latest report
stanton wrote:
@Raven,

Stopping for Lunch is valiable slope time..You folks are payimg a fortune for lift tickets you should use them ....

Lunch should not be neccesary if you have had a few calories for Breakfasr

Some of us are perhaps not as fit as we should be and are also getting a bit old and creaky, we need some recovery time........
ski holidays
@munich_irish,

Being Fit means Less Food..

If folks do Zero exercise for 11 months & 2 weeks.

That is the Reality

More money to spend om Vino & Bier 100% Natural

Caveat: Apres Ski
snow conditions
@stanton, So you apparently go ski touring, don't use lifts, you don't eat lunch but do apres ski after, all with no food other than having a few calories for breakfast.......that's some going......impressive wink
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton, So you apparently go ski touring, don't use lifts, you don't eat lunch but do apres ski after, all with no food other than having a few calories for breakfast.......that's some going......impressive wink

A legend in his own lunchbox.

I wonder what his eyesight is like these days. His Mum warned him he would lose it, if he did not stop being a banker. (Darn auto-correct! Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
Raven wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Where do you usually go for lunch at Sonnenkopf? I went to the main restaurant at the top of the gondola and it was absolutely packed with school children on a Friday. Luckily the pistes were much quieter Very Happy

Hi @Raven, it was at that restaurant. Yes, it was busy, but we got a table as we walked in. The tables seemed to turn over quickly. Full disclosure: we are not fine-dining, with wine, lunchers. We just want something tasty, filling, etc, ie comfort food, served reasonably quickly.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@Rosie Ski,
Nr. 160= Wiesele and indeed does not go to Lech
To get to Lech on ski you need 172 (via Zug) or 173
For many intermediates the trip St.Anton-Lech-St.Anton by ski is a rather ‘unrelaxed’ thing to do. You also need to realize there are quite a few bottlenecks where queues in high season are inevitable. There is quite a flood of skiers coming from St.Anton trying to get to Lech before lunch...., with a focus in the second half of the week...when you decide to go, you can already find out the way things will be that day by the state of piste nr 100. Tomorrow and Friday it will probably be a mogul paradise top to bottom before 10.00. And there is more to come after that...
The bus might be the more pleasant way to go....

So, in the end the parents bussed it to Lech while we skied. It took us a couple of hours, we don’t ski overly fast but don’t stop much. No queue for Flexenbahn which we were surprised by, but a bit of a wait for the 4 man chair out of Zürs and 25 mins for the 2 man Madloch. Route 173 to Lech was very quiet and peaceful, it made for a lovely morning.

Didn’t get a huge amount of skiing done in Lech but the snow was slushy where we did try. The whole family skied back and again we were fairly lucky with lift lines.

Lech certainly lives up to the reputation as a place to see and be seen - felt quite out of place in my years-old baggy snowboard jacket rather than a skin tight black number with a fur-trimmed hood wink
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@munich_irish,

Being Fit means Less Food..

If folks do Zero exercise for 11 months & 2 weeks.

That is the Reality

More money to spend om Vino & Bier 100% Natural

Caveat: Apres Ski

Do you actually read any of the nonsense you write before you press "submit"?
snow conditions
@Rosie Ski, my experience is that the slopes immediately above Lech get a lot of sun, great for sitting on the terraces at Oberlech not so good for keeping the snow in good nick, better higher up.

The Madloch lift is the worst spot for queues, it is planned to be upgraded soon though there is concern about putting too many people onto the run.

Glad you had a good day
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy