Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@franga, Yes afternoon on Kapall/ Gampen and reds/ blues (or Fang black if you are feeling on-it) to Nasserein always a safe bet for afternoons (check out Hoppelweg with all the animals for the kids, below Gampen restaurant), also up on Galzig and play around on Ostahang via Zammermoosbahn is great, good easy fun park thing for the kids up there too. Also the blue down to St Christoph great run and quiet pm too. Like I said above if on Galzig avoid Kandahar, very busy and mogully pm, can be a tad dangerous unless you go to the skiers right and stay in the powder under the lift where its quiestet and best snow lies......you can then ski across the piste and join up with Mattunbahn and get back up to Gampen but be careful crossing the crazy bottom pich of Kandahar, lemmings everywhere....or go down on Galzigbahn and straigh back up on 4 person chair next to it Gampenbahn, then down to Nasserein as above. Dont forget an evening on the Rodelbahn either.....great for all including the big kids.

Where you staying in St Jakob?..... great place to stay.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, we are staying at the Zur Pfeffermuhle. Looks really good and apparently the restaurant / bar are great. Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cracking day in St Anton today. Blue skies but cold enough for the snow to hold up well. Hopefully it won’t warm up too much this week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think everyone went up the Flexenpaß today. Big queues on Nassereinbahn and Galzigbahn first up, but after then the only real queues were on the Vallugabahn. Very mellow skiing in the afternoon, except for Kandahar, which I avoid.

An absolutely fantastic day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone know the best way to find taxis from St Anton to St Jakob around 10:30pm or so ?

Normally we stay in the center of St Anton so can walk back to the hotel after eating out and a few drinks but this was a fairly last minute booking in one of the busiest weeks of the year (UK school half term) and options were very limited so we are staying in St Jakob this time. During the day we'll use the ski bus but the night bus on that route is not frequent at that time so a taxi will be better.

Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jw83113, taxi stand under Rendlbahn bus station underpass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@markymark29. Thanks for the info. I can't believe I've been so many times and never seen where to get taxis from ! More importantly though I do know where to find all the apres-ski locations Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ulmerhutte wrote:
I think everyone went up the Flexenpaß today. Big queues on Nassereinbahn and Galzigbahn first up, but after then the only real queues were on the Vallugabahn. Very mellow skiing in the afternoon, except for Kandahar, which I avoid.

An absolutely fantastic day.

Big crush of people waiting to get on the Madlochbahn this morning. A 2 seater chairlift doesn’t really seem up to the job. Even more annoyingly some chairs were going up with just one person on them Mad

Had lunch over at Warth as Lech isn’t really in my price range. Was pretty busy over there as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

http://youtube.com/v/wtbATKJwKpk

Got bouncy last week too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Raven,

Madlochbahn will be upgraded this summer
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jw83113,

Night ski bus goes hoiury except there is a two hour break somewhere between 21:30 & 23;30.

Its cheaper to wave down a taxi bottom ene of town...near Murmel

Do not pay more than €10 .and.make sure you confirm this before gettin in.

Taxis from Rendlbahn will charge between €12-15..

If you refuse to pay at destination ..the doors are locked and we take you back to where you came from ..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
@Raven,

It will just move the crowds onto the ski runs Sad

There are couple of photos in the latest edition of Bergauf (magazine of the Austrian Alpine Club) showing the ascent to Madloch before any lift was built and also one taken after the first lift was built. It seems the crowds have always been there. Before the lift there was a long snake of folk making their way up to the col, it looked like the Gouter route up Mont Blanc in summer. With the lift it was worse, there was a long line of skiers waiting for their turn, presumably standing on the frozen lake, the wait must have been considerable, 15 to 20 minutes at a guess. Given the image must be from the 1950s (I am guessing that was when the first lift was installed but maybe very early 1960s) that is around 60 years of lift queues. Quicker and bigger lifts does not really make skiing any better.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, well maybe but having an ancient 2 man chair for a critical leg of an overpromoted circuit of a supposedly world class area is a straightforward joke. Obviously next it will put tension on the Zug lift and then in time the traffic will reach some sort of equilibrium as punters in St Anton learn that the Fiascobahn day out ain't all that and Lech snobs get over the fact that more oiks are around.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, @munich_irish,

Why do you waste your time there .. Lift passes are expensive enough
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
stanton wrote:
@Raven,

It will just move the crowds onto the ski runs Sad

...and there it is. Without significant piste work, to either provide alternate ways down, or widen the choke-points, it will be a dangerous circus, probably worse than Kandahar. Can you imagine what it would look like with a 4 or 6-pack unloading skiers on thst col? The 2, often icy, pitches near the bottom would look like Kandahar.
latest report
@ulmerhutte,
Rumours say that it is going to be a 10 pax gondola starting in Zürs, with midstation at Seekopf, replacing Zürserseebahn, and with a topstation a bit further than the current chair, possibly as far as the start of the Stierfall-route, to eliminate the first narrow stretch and the incline after that.
Also piste adaptions indeed are rumoured.
Still, I’m sceptical too.
snow report
@stanton, thanks for the taxi info. I wasn't sure what the rules were about flagging down taxis in Austria. In London where I live only the traditional black cabs can be flagged down, the others types need to be taken from an official location. The price sounds reasonable too, especially if I can get one for Euro 10, as you suggest. The same black cabs in London have a meter that seems to go up that amount everytime a wheel turns.
ski holidays
@stanton, I've never queued at Madlochbahn...... if you get over early you are straight onto it and you get a quick ride up. If people are crazy enough to get around to Zurs at 10.30/45 and expect no queues its up to them. I personally have a forlorn hope the lift doesn't get upgraded to keep the run down to Zug traffic free. Last trip we were staying in Lech week 1 and we waited at bottom of Trittkopfbahn for friends on a sunny Thursday morning at 10.30am as they came over from St Anton and the mass volume of people heading down was unbelieveable. We skied to bottom of the 4 person Zurserseebahn and it was packed, quickly realised that the other Zurs lift would be the same so 8 seats into 2 doesnt go (Madlochbahn) and headed down the steps and straight onto a blue ski bus to Lech and ditched the Zug link....again its just common sense, people moaning about Madloch congestion need to either (a) wake up in time and get out of St Anton earlier, or (b) accept they will sit in traffic.

I think the whole White Ring/ Run of Fame thing is a nonsense, people wait until Wednesday/ Thursday on a sunny week, all think its the be and end all to "do Warth" when in effect they are seeing hardly anything that day other than a load of busy pistes and lift queues, and bypassing so much other good opportunities. The new Flexenbahn is a great piece of Engineering and I/we use it to dip into Stuben from Lech, and from St Anton to Zurs/ Lech but to encourage loads of people to ski as fast as they can to feed their ski apps and egos is crazy and isn't doing the Arlberg ski area any favours imo, there's definitely routes (like Schindler/ Rauz and Trittkopf down to Zurs) that I avoid at all costs at certain times of day, too many "unsafe and too fast for their own and others good" idiots on them.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, you never queued at Madlochbahn, but instead you went on the bus....
And that was in january....
Get over your denialphase please. Reread what you just have been writing here will make you see your own denial....
Current situation @Arlberg is simply not acceptable.
snow conditions
Steissbachtal being groomed this morning.
snow report
@Markymark29, agree with all this but maybe we are all getting old "it wasnt like this when I were a lad" Madeye-Smiley , I dont have a ski app and dont see the point but lots (most?) do, surely one of the most important things about being in the mountains is getting away from your phone, emails etc?. These issues are not just Arlberg ones but affect most ski resorts. Maybe there will come a point ( there already?) where there is no point in visiting in peak season, it it simply too crowded to be enjoyable. Stanton will say dont bother buying a lift pass but that is always going to be a very minority view and the free ride areas get crowded too.
snow report
Hmmmmm... not liking these negative comments, with my half term trip coming up! I must admit, I always manage to lose myself in Val / Tignes once you get out the main starting points and venture off, no matter how busy... but will find out soon enough. But please... this thread is so negative! With a 5m base and average of over 2.5m across the region why not all be happy !?
ski holidays
@Langerzug, I dont understand your comment, however for clarity for others even if you dont understand English too well - I've been on Madloch lift many times in the past early and never queued, on this occasion (10.45am and a busy time, you get it?) I/ we saw a queue was inevitable (8 bums on seats at street level might be difficult to fit onto a slow 2 person at Madloch) so opted to jump on the bus instead and get up the mountain via Oberlech, maybe that explains for you? rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
@Alex A, there are great runs all over St Anton including the less visited parts like Rendl and Stuben (Albonagrat). The flexenbahn connection to is useful especially for getting to Zurs but people miss out on some of the best skiing in St Anton because they are so keen to get to lech/zurs/warth/schrocken rather enjoying the place they are staying.

If however you want to ski the other areas then it's best to do Lech/Zurs one day via the flexenbahn and have a seperate trip to Warth/Schroken a different day by taking an early ski bus to Lech, that way you get to ski the areas properly, not just the same few runs that every other person trying to do the ring of fame is on.
snow report
@Alex A, its just the grumpy old gits thread......

The snow is indeed fabulous with more fresh snow due early next week so sure you will have a great time.
snow report
jw83113 wrote:
@Alex A, there are great runs all over St Anton including the less visited parts like Rendl and Stuben (Albonagrat). The flexenbahn connection to is useful especially for getting to Zurs but people miss out on some of the best skiing in St Anton because they are so keen to get to lech/zurs/warth/schrocken rather enjoying the place they are staying.

If however you want to ski the other areas then it's best to do Lech/Zurs one day via the flexenbahn and have a seperate trip to Warth/Schroken a different day by taking an early ski bus to Lech, that way you get to ski the areas properly, not just the same few runs that every other person trying to do the ring of fame is on.

Great to hear! Thanks for the advice. We are driving as well, so will have the luxury of the car with 4x4 and winter tyres etc. So it's worth driving over to Warth/Schroken then it sounds like? Really looking forward to skiing in Austria as I'm a bit of a French / US person normally, so fancied a change this year. Also going to ski Silvretta Montafon for a couple of days at the start as staying close by in a pension, before going to chalet in St Anton.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Alex A, its just the grumpy old gits thread......

The snow is indeed fabulous with more fresh snow due early next week so sure you will have a great time.

Laughing can't wait
snow conditions
@Alex A, Warth/ Schroken is indeed worth a visit and not just for an hour or 2 after a long ski around from St Anton but for a full day or 2. If you're taking the car to Warth you'd have to go all the way to Dornbirn/ Bludenz (weather dependent) and via Bregenzerwald, or via Reutte and Lechtalpe both 3-4 hour drives, or park in Zurs/ Lech and ski over via the Auenfeldjet, assume you know the road between Lech and Warth is closed most of winter so driving to Warth isnt easy?

My suggestion is ski over early, or get the Post Bus to Zurs, but in either event be on the earliest lift you can and definitely pre-9am out of St Anton, and ski fast especially if it's bluebird. I wrote somehwere on here earlier this week that the best way to ski Zurs/ Lech and get the max out of the day is to jump on the 8am (ish) Post Bus and get around to Zurs 9am, I still maintain this, unless you want to hammer it down to Rauz, also fun but you've got to be on-it, and again early.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alex A, the road between Lech and Warth is closed in winter because of avalanche risk only way between them is on skis or a very long drive. Montafon is a nice area, a bit more traditional than the Arlberg not as much linked skiing.
snow report
@Markymark29, I think I understand quite well.
But apparently for you a bus instead of a lift with a huge queue -in January- is a totally acceptable thing.
Apart from that you are writing that you are busy avoiding Trittkopf, Schindler/Valfagehr. And you are busy looking/anticipating/avoiding queues even at Zürsersee, Seekopf
Again: in January....
How much fun is that?
And we all are, and obviously much more so in February and March
Thing is that you are still saying that all is fine.
It is not, but you are in denial.

Think about it: before Flexenbahn we were in the blue bus between Rauz en Zürs. Now we (yes, you too, can’t deny it!) are in the bus between Zürs and Lech....with as extra bonus Valfagehr, Trittkopf, Madloch pistes kaput. And please don’t give me that ‘early rise’ and ‘anticyclical’ nonsense. You are talking about January, lowest of low season. It really is a rather pathetic to need early rises and anticyclical behavior in January. And to justify it on top of that.
Denial!
(And to get back to language/nationality: might denial be a very brexish thing? It’s what we currently all are thinking on the continent anyway....)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 7-02-19 12:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@munich_irish, @Markymark29, I see... wow.. feel so under prepared as I'm used to places I know like the back of my hand! So if i'm understanding correctly, we could in theory if we wanted a quick start to ski over to Warth by driving from St Anton to Zurs and be on the first lift over there? Then we don't need to get a bus etc. When you ski to Zurs from At Anton, how many lifts do you need to take? The lift map looks sooooooo confusing! Thanks everyone for advice. Alex
latest report
@Alex A, if you want to get to Warth first thing it is best to drive to Lech and get in the Schlosskopfbahn. No worries about queues whatsoever then.
snow conditions
@langerzug, definitely agree you miss the queues that way, what's the parking like in Lech though ? I see load of spaces in Zurs but much fewer in Lech which is why I normally take the bus in that situation rather than driving (though it's also so I can catch a bit of on-slope apres ski at the Heustadl or Griabli on the way back home Happy )
latest report
@jw83113, there is a large parking near Schlosskopfbahn, behind Lech-village
snow report
@Alex A, If you are fast skiers and are used to moving quick and skiing long days catch early Galzigbahn, Tanzbodenbahn, Arlenmahderbahn (or Schindlerbahn) ski down to Rauz, then new Flexenbahn and stay on to top of Trittkopf, ski down Trittkopf to Zurs. Then if you want to link to Lech head up to Zursersee via one of the two 4 person chairs and up Madlochbahn and ski down the itinery to Zug, up Zug lift and then work your way across to Warth via Auenfeldjet, various options to get to Auenfeldjet.

If not then early Post Bus to Zurs and free ski bus to Lech from Zurs (10 mins), or follow the above skiing/ lifts route but keep moving but could get a delay at Madlochbahn (you get effectively 8 people uplifted from valley bottom into an old slow 2 seater lift up to Madloch). Once in Warth make sure you keep an eye on time, you need to make sure you get to Valfegehrbahn on way back in time to get uplift to top so you can ski down to St Anton, ideally getting to Tanzbiden so you can ski all way down Kandahar and not pole it up, or if Steissbachtal reopens ski down there to town.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Alex A, the road between Lech and Warth is closed in winter because of avalanche risk only way between them is on skis or a very long drive..

Actually that is not the real reason…

Yes Avalanches do happen but they can easily control this..

The real reason is they do not want Thousands of Germans Cars taking a Short cut through Lech & Zurs ...
latest report
@stanton, is talking nonsense again.
Go and have a look in summer, you’ll see why it is closed in winter. Apart from the avalanches, the road is so narrow that at many spots buses and lorries need to drive backwards when opposite traffic is approaching. The road sits high above the steep Lech-gorge, widening the road is not possible.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@Alex A, the road between Lech and Warth is closed in winter because of avalanche risk only way between them is on skis or a very long drive..

Actually that is not the real reason…

Yes Avalanches do happen but they can easily control this..

The real reason is they do not want Thousands of Germans Cars taking a Short cut through Lech & Zurs ...

Perhaps they should set up a barrier, only folk with Bogner ski clothing and Strolz ski boots in the car boot allowed through Very Happy
latest report
@Langerzug, its not nonsense.

I have travelled that road multiple times

Its can easily be controlled...

The reason is as i stated above

. Dont argue uou are wrong and even if you think your right you your still wrong.. Very Happy
latest report
@Markymark29, @Langerzug, @munich_irish, @jw83113, thanks a lot everyone. Good lesson and have taken a pic of this page. Prefer to ski than drive / get buses. But seems like a very easy way to spend the day over that way, albeit with limited drinking options for one of us ! Now the snow / forecast watching begins.. looking promising though for a top up and some cold temps Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy