Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Fantastic skiing yesterday on Rendl, Riffl 2 all the way down to Maass. Perfect offpiste powder skiing in the sun, very quiet. Cloudy in the valley and over Gampen/ Galzig but Rendl clear @ulmerhutte, suggest trying Rendl it clears quicker ime.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, yeah, I too have often found Rendl with better visibility than Gampen or Galzig (often the worst). Spent a day over Rendl a week or 2 ago; Rendl was in sunshine, while the other 2 peaks were socked in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rendl all the way ...

You folks should try down valley...

Private Powder
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And Sebastian Vettel is in the next chalet to us in Zug.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zuppert was nice and quiet today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thecramps, Sebastian Vettel is owning an apartment in the Rote Wand hotel:)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, Aha. That is just over the road from us here.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/iwLOwH_L60k
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finally on the train to St Anton from Innsbruck. Was meant to get in last night but had unavoidable travel disruptions.

I'm all kitted out and ready to hit the slopes this afternoon Very Happy

As it is going to be a fine and sunny week any thoughts on whether it's worth doing a day trip to Ischgl or maybe even Serfaus / Fiss. / Ladis?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raven wrote:
As it is going to be a fine and sunny week any thoughts on whether it's worth doing a day trip to Ischgl or maybe even Serfaus / Fiss. / Ladis?

What would any of those give you that you can't get in the Arlberg??
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raven, as Kitenski says why would you? Unless you have a car getting between the resorts is a bit of a faff, you need to get buses from Landeck. No problem to do but not really practical for a day trip. Even if you are staying in Innsbruck then neither Ischgl or Serfaus work as easy day trips without a car or dedicated bus transfer (maybe a travel company run day trips, in Munich the big sport shops organise trips), best thing would be to hire a car, about an hour's drive each way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rendl was simply superb today. Sunshine and fantastic powder. It was however cold as a witch’s tit this morning before the sun hit the slopes.

The lazy, uncrowded days of January are now over, albeit it was not too bad on Rendl. The queue on Nassereinbahn this morning stretched down both flights of stairs, all the way down to the street. It was one big melee around the still-closed doors to the escalator.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
German School Midterm (staggered) Vacations started today notably Berlin ..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some Fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60519&start=250#p5192599
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
@Raven, as Kitenski says why would you? Unless you have a car getting between the resorts is a bit of a faff, you need to get buses from Landeck. No problem to do but not really practical for a day trip. Even if you are staying in Innsbruck then neither Ischgl or Serfaus work as easy day trips without a car or dedicated bus transfer (maybe a travel company run day trips, in Munich the big sport shops organise trips), best thing would be to hire a car, about an hour's drive each way.

I think it’s just because I have come so far already from Australia that it’s tempting to check out somewhere completely new this trip (visited St Anton a couple of years ago). If I like it I can put it on my list for future trips. When you travel half way across the world to ski another hour or so on the train and bus isn’t that big a deal.

Think a better idea is to bus it to Lech and have a day there and Warth instead.
latest report
@Raven, absolutely, though there might be a car hire place in St Anton which would make it a lot easier. St Anton is so easy by train but not many other places are. There is also the Sonnenkopf area which shares the same lift pass. I have never done it but I believe it is possible by bus from Stuben. Both Ischgl and Serfaus have good skiing areas, worth visiting.
ski holidays
I am not aware of car hire place here. There is no shop front for car hire, but it is possible that a business, like the Shell servo, acts as an agent for one of the majors? Best ask the Tourist Office.

There is, indeed, a bus from Stuben to Sonnenkopf. It is cute, quaint, locals’ ski area. Worth a visit if you are here for an extended period.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Some Fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=60519&start=250#p5192599

Conditions look pretty good.
snow report
Never understood why folks come To St Anton and then want tto ski in Lech Zurs etc let alone

Ischgl ,Serfaus

Liftriders.... slope time wasters

You wanna Ski Lech zurs Warth stay there...

Makes no sense at all
snow report
@stanton, If you have come on a long distance trip then seeing and skiing other places besides St Anton makes sense. No matter how good St Anton might (or might not) be there is a world outside of the resort.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Never understood why folks come To St Anton and then want tto ski in Lech Zurs etc let alone

Ischgl ,Serfaus

Liftriders.... slope time wasters

You wanna Ski Lech zurs Warth stay there...

Makes no sense at all

Oh, get a grip for gods sake. You have a mostly negative / critical view of anyone that doesn’t ski off piste or drop down 300m cliffs or hike for 28 days to find a 3m long stash of powder. Some of us just like to stay on piste and experience the whole of the Arlberg. Maybe I’m overreacting BUT you are seriously ruining this thread with some of your arrogance and know-it-all attitude.
latest report
@franga, yeah you sound seriously stressed and Over Reacting....

Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Ski Circuses should be be confined to France Very Happy
ski holidays
I personally think St Anton makes a really good centre for inter-continental/ long distance travellers, same as say Innsbruck does, they both share excellent train links along the ZRH/ IBK and west/ east train line. Personally if I'd travelled half way across the world i'd like to ski the whole of Arlberg, and have a day in probably Otztal, Ischgl and definitely 2 in Zurs/ Lech/ Warth, plus probably some of the smaller Bregenzerwald resorts like Damuls/ Fontanella (less easy to get to to but do-able). Presumably most long distance people come for 2 weeks and 4/5 days of a 14 day trip still gives time for travel around the Tirol/ Vorarlberg. Not sure how this would work logistically with hotels/ beds/ ski passes etc but i'm sure it's doable, especially if in a group.

One negative from our trip last week - week 1 Lech, amazing snow, can't fault it, super cold and absolutely brilliant off/ on piste. Week 2 St Anton also amazing conditions and skiing, HOWEVER cant believe the volume rowdiness/ drunkeness of the people that come down from KK's/ MW etc into the Galzigbahn square area, where the taxis pick up. Until 21.30/45 there's a steady stream of hammered people, of all ages and nationalities arriving down from the mountain, shouting/ falling over, throwing skis/ boards about like they are confetti/ urinating all over the place.......no security at all evident and atmosphere quite intimidating, many looking like they were really unwell and in danger of passing out. If I was there with a family i'd be really concerned, our room overlooked the square, at first quite amusing but it's every night, and after a while it becomes a real concern how people can be so drunk and in such a state - Anton needs to get a grip of this, definitely worsening the last 2 years compare to previous.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, not sure what can be done about all this. To some extent it only really affects the area around the Galzigbahn and the taxi rank, though you do see folk stumbling along the main street swinging skis and poles in all directions. Does anyone really want a version of the stupid "no ski boots after 19:30" rule in Ischgl along with the private security to enforce it? My concern is that sooner or later there will be an "incident" with multiple fatalities, perhaps a group skiing off into the trees, collapsing and suffering hypothermia or crashing at high speed into the lift building or whatever. It would be possible to enforce the ban on skiing on piste after 17;30 (or whatever the time is), I believe that happens in France? However one of the selling points / attractions of St Anton has become the various apres haunts at the side of the piste (they can be found in other Austrian resorts but perhaps not to quite the same extent) and part of that is the ski back (in the dark....) after a schnapps or three.

I agree that the Mooser, KK etc have made lots of money by encouraging all this and do have a responsibility to come up with a solution but not sure what that might be.
ski holidays
Up to around year 2000, Mooserwirt stopped tapping beer around 7pm....
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
, HOWEVER cant believe the volume rowdiness/ drunkeness of the people that come down from KK's/ MW etc into the Galzigbahn square area, where the taxis pick up. Until 21.30/45 there's a steady stream of hammered people, of all ages and nationalities arriving down from the mountain, shouting/ falling over, throwing skis/ boards about like they are confetti/ urinating all over the place.......

It has been iike that/this for 40 years...but no Taxis , LOL

There used to be a much bigger Apres Ski in Town to spreadout & continue after the Hill Apres Closed (which used to much later) I remember being in the KK at 23:00hrs Very Happy Very Happy …..

Do you remember when Apres Ski Continued in town at the Old Railway Station Cafeteria until 02:00 Very Happy

Its all rather boring nowadays closing early Apres Ski early ...

Anzway, No one dies (well some have) its just fun
snow report
@munich_irish, Agree with most of your points, i'm certainly not being prudish nor a kill-joy but my suggestion would be that KK/ MW etc fund 2-3 security types to effectively police their guests home to suitable taxis etc rather than the ski shop windows getting trashed etc.

I've personally no problem with folks having a few beers and shots etc if that what they want (I personally dont need a bad head in a morning but hey each to their own), however its well crazy and beyond that. The pistenbully driver was swerving his 600hp rig around them at one point at 9pm as he was trying to do his job, in bad weather it could be lethal (yes I know it happened before).

Anyway, no I dont want to see a 19.30 curfew, but its noticeable that whilst many bars dont allow ski booted guests in after 19.30, plenty do. Also noticeable that Australia Day KK Party, and Wednesday (chalet hosts day off) was worst.....no surprise there I guess Laughing
ski holidays
@Raven, didn't realise you'd come all the way from Oz! Definitely worth visiting new areas then! I have family in Oz and always try and go somewhere "new".

But if I am being brutally honest, I'm not sure Ishgl would offer you anything different run wise compared to the Arlberg. Maybe get some recommendations off @clarky999 for some smaller more "interesting" areas rather than much of the same, ie large connected resorts with masses of pistes??

No need to bus it to Lech, you can ski over and back!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

No need to bus it to Lech, you can ski over and back!

@kitenski, It is quicker by Post Bus and ski back later if you want to get maximum out of the day in Lech/ Zurs/ Warth, early Post Bus gets you into Zurs super early before you can ski around....caveat, if you are on first Galzig lift, Arlenmahderbahn is open and you can ski at Super-G pace to keep ahead of the crowds then fine, otherwise i'd avoid the carnage of Schindler/ Rauz (been down there lately?) and bus it around, ski back later on but make sure you get back in time for Valfegehrbahn.....or flag down a taxi at Rauz.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, fair point, I'm not a fan of ski buses Smile and not been out for a few years! Shame flights were so damn expensive in March, GVA was half the price!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Yep, half as much snow in France so maybe thats why? wink We are flying MAN/ ZRH 8 March MAN/ Swiss for £130 pp return incl skis carriage.

It's not a ski bus, the Post Bus is fast and limited stop, leaves St Anton early, mostly ski guides and lifties, only early-bird skiers and you are in Zurs pre 9am, first lifts. Full day in Lech/ Zurs/ Warth Schroeken.
snow report
@Markymark29, flights end of March were £200+ pp when we booked last week, so wanted to come back to the Arlberg but too expensive!

Ended up with £60 pp excl bags to GVA!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Train journey to St Anton overnight via GVA/ ZRH Hauptbahnhof? Epic conditions currently in Arlberg/ Vorarlberg/ Tirol and set up for rest of season.....a lot of shiny unused snow cannons and full up storage reservoirs too.....
snow report
@Markymark29, Your already paying for an expensive Lift Ticket why pay more on Postbus …

If you really need to go over to The Western Arlberg

Skiing over to Zurs it is the perfect way to warm the Legs & Body up…..
snow conditions
@Markymark29 /@munich_irish,

We are taking our 2 young boys (11Y + 8Y) to St Anton for the first time next week ... I'm trying not too worry too much about all the posts on crowded pistes, out-of-control piste users and the inebriated.

The boys will be in ski school in the morning (they are both very good skiers) but we will be skiing as a family in the afternoon.

I presume we should be aiming to finish our days on the Nasserein side to avoid the KK and Mooserwirt carnage ... anywhere else we should be keeping away from (I used to like the run down to Alpe Rauz)?

Thanks
latest report
@stanton, OK agree with your sentiment in general but at cost of 4€ pp as a one off for the Post Bus and to be around there super early - it's great to ski around early but have you skied down Muggengrat at 9.15am first tracks and Madloch/ Zug pre 10am when its -18C, bluebird day and 20/30cm of fresh overnight powder? Can do Rauz and Trittkopf any ski day but not Zurs at that time....... Cool
snow conditions
@franga, I’d avoid Kandahar and route following down to St Anton, also R1 off Rendl, otherwise all good pm.
snow report
@Markymark29, i have been in Zurs by 09:15 when the lifts open earlier in the Spring (they used to open at 08:30 all season) but yes even earlier because i gone up with the lifties at 07:30 and using the old blue bus
snow conditions
@franga, I would not worry about the drunken skier issue, as long as you get down to Galzig (or wherever) by 17:00 or so it is not an issue at all, I cant see the Mooserwirt or KK having much attraction for 8 or 11 year olds and I am sure you will want to be doing other things by that time of day. Any really leery stuff only happens a good bit later and can easily be avoided. The area around the Nassereinbahn is much quieter and is probably a far better spot for a family drink or ice creams at the end of a skiing day.

Out of control skiers are a more general issue (eg see Steve Angus' posts on the Val d'Isere thread) not sure St Anton is worse than anywhere else, even the small resorts seem to have their share local lads (probably lasses too) who ski too fast for the conditions.

Next week is the start of the real high season so yes the place is likely to be busy, though I find that things are usually a bit less busy from lunchtime onwards.

In terms of home runs etc, yes the pistes from Galzig are quieter but there are no easy options around Kandahar. If your kids and you are good skiers then both the Osthang and Mattunjoch ski routes are possibly better options but only if you dont mind lots of moguls and in any case if you feel comfortable on those two routes you probably wont have any issues with Kandahar.
snow conditions
Thanks both - looking at the ski map we'd be better off heading towards Gampen and then finishing at Nasserein ... we're staying in a lovely hotel towards St Jacob so all good.

Thanks again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy